Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Seaniqua posted:

Amen, for all schools. But also don’t give them money after your loans are paid off

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My wife’s expensive prestigious private school has been regularly calling her for donations for the 14 years we’ve been together and she refuses to give them a cent lol

According to Wikipedia they have an $813M endowment. gently caress em.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

Amen, for all schools. But also don’t give them money after your loans are paid off

I think the only money I gave my school after graduation was to buy a cutout to put in the stands during the Plague Year 2020.

I sent a photo of my dog.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I worked briefly at OU's alumni outreach program (the folks nagging you for donations), God what a miserable job.

The last time I got a call myself was when this guy was the University President. He succeeded the second-longest-tenured and probably greatest President in OU history, but himself was a partisan political appointee by our chicken-fried Trump of a governor. I told the poor kid on the phone "I'm not giving another dime to OU so long as this guy is President, he can ask his billionaire buddies in the state legislature for more money." When I worked there there were ways to take notes on accounts, it took a lot for someone to be removed from the caller rolls but I guess maybe I made enough of an impression?

Anyway Gallogly lasted all of 9 months. Governor Stitt and Gallogly found out that you can't just use an institution with as many powerful and monied interests as OU does as a pawn in banal culture war games. Actual, meaningful donations quickly dried up so Gallogly showed himself the exit.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/snoopdogg/status/1787514133212287109?s=46

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lmao the biggest faux pas calling UofA "Arizona State"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

A whole new meaning of edible mascot

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

More preseason lines are dropping, looks like OU is a dog in five games as of right now:

Bama -1.5 vs. OU
OU +4 @Mizzou
OU +5 @LSU
OU +6 @Ole Miss
Texas -8.5 vs. OU in Dallas

I don't know how long preseason lines have been a thing but hard to think of when OU was last a dog in five games going into a season. All those lines check out to me other than LSU, ending the season in Death Valley I'd think LSU would be more favored but I know nothing about what LSU has done in the offseason.

Also, looks like Texas is -4 @Michigan and Ohio State is -10.5 over Michigan in the 'Shoe

All per DraftKings; eta clarifying the lines

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 7, 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judgy Fucker posted:

More preseason lines are dropping, looks like OU is a dog in five games as of right now:

Bama -1.5
@Mizzou -4
@LSU -5
@Ole Miss -6
Texas -8.5

I don't know how long preseason lines have been a thing but hard to think of when OU was last a dog in five games going into a season. All those lines check out to me other than LSU, ending the season in Death Valley I'd think LSU would be more favored but I know nothing about what LSU has done in the offseason.

Also, looks like Texas is -4 @Michigan and Ohio State is -10.5 over Michigan in the 'Shoe

LSU had a great offense and awful defense last year. They lost their Heisman winning QB and 2 first round WRs so the offense will definitely take a step back. They fired their DC and hired a guy who should be pretty good so the defense will likely improve. The degree to which either happens is a big mystery though so that line feels like it’s mostly based on the teams having similar talent levels but LSU having home field advantage and a more known quantity at head coach.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, Michigan was ranked 128 of 134 teams in returning production. Might be a rough first year for Moore. Or maybe they reload easily with the transfer portal and whip everyone's asses :shrug:

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2024/2/1...o-state-georgia

(Texas is 30th in offense, 28th in defense, 2nd overall in the SEC)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Michigan was ranked 128 of 134 teams in returning production. Might be a rough first year for Moore. Or maybe they reload easily with the transfer portal and whip everyone's asses :shrug:

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2024/2/1...o-state-georgia

(Texas is 30th in offense, 28th in defense, 2nd overall in the SEC)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bama -1.5 vs. OU
OU +4 @Mizzou
OU +5 @LSU
OU +6 @Ole Miss
Texas -8.5 vs. OU in Dallas

All per DraftKings; eta clarifying the lines

Joel Klatt said Oklahoma and Michigan have the hardest gauntlet's this year. I'm not surprised the lines open that way for OU.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Something you don't see everyday

https://x.com/On3sports/status/1787920101762646355

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Grown rear end man getting a free education after he's had a pro career, you love to see it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
J.R. Smith played golf at NCA&T after retiring from the NBA. Going into D1 football after a decade away from the game is crazy though.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Joel Klatt said Oklahoma and Michigan have the hardest gauntlet's this year. I'm not surprised the lines open that way for OU.

I'm not surprised either, just a little jarring to see 5 opponents favored even if it makes sense.

Yeah, OU is going from their easiest schedule in history (this year) to their most difficult.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

can't wait for the 2025 season woo goddamn pig

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Minnesota Gophers over/under is 4.5. I was telling everyone I knew if they set it at 5.5 I'd take the under as a lock but 4.5 scares me! I'm an eternal hater of Fleck so I might still take it.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Grown rear end man getting a free education after he's had a pro career, you love to see it.

I don't think he's committing to college football to get an education :ohdear:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern’s presumed starter at QB Brendan Sullivan transferred to Iowa (lmao). Sullivan can run and sort of throw but I don't think this is going to make Iowa a powerhouse offensively.

Northwestern got grad transfer QB Mike Wright from Vandy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

R.D. Mangles posted:

Northwestern’s presumed starter at QB Brendan Sullivan transferred to Iowa (lmao). Sullivan can run and sort of throw but I don't think this is going to make Iowa a powerhouse offensively.

I guess Cade McNamara is perpetually hurt so they need someone to step in when he inevitably goes down with a season-ending injury.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Also being the presumed starter at northwestern to be a back up at Iowa is a choice.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cade McNamara losing the starting job to JJ McCarthy in 2022 and then being like “I’ll show you, Michigan! I’ll show you what you’re missing!”, then going to Iowa and throwing 4 touchdowns in 5 games on a 50% completion percentage was certainly a decision.

Even if he hadn’t been injured, dude would’ve had perhaps 10 touchdown passes total on the season.

Of all the places he could’ve gone to put up the kind of stats that he wanted, and he chose…..Iowa.

It’s like complaining about how badly you want to test out a sports car, and then driving 25 MPH in the right lane with your emergency blinkers on.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I wonder if this happened before or after Booty?

Quarterback battle in Iowa City lmfao

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gonz posted:

Cade McNamara losing the starting job to JJ McCarthy in 2022 and then being like “I’ll show you, Michigan! I’ll show you what you’re missing!”, then going to Iowa and throwing 4 touchdowns in 5 games on a 50% completion percentage was certainly a decision.

Even if he hadn’t been injured, dude would’ve had perhaps 10 touchdown passes total on the season.

Of all the places he could’ve gone to put up the kind of stats that he wanted, and he chose…..Iowa.

It’s like complaining about how badly you want to test out a sports car, and then driving 25 MPH in the right lane with your emergency blinkers on.

Maybe he got the best NIL offer from Iowa.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Iowa definitely made sense because Cade is a prototypical Game Manager. He's not gonna set the world on fire but he could rack up some wins taking care of the football at a place like Iowa (in theory) and people would make excuses for his performance because of how bad and badly coached their offense is.

I think that was the theory, anyway.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Maybe he got the best NIL offer from Iowa.

If so, good for him. Not exactly the path to the draft, though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

DrunkPanda posted:

I don't think he's committing to college football to get an education :ohdear:

Just being honest in my perhaps optimistic view of why a guy would do this but...

He played in the majors so he ain't doing it for the health care. No NFL team is drafting a nearly 30 year old dude who has a professional career under his belt already, so if not for the education...I don't really see what he'd be going there for?

College girls I guess? NIL can't be that good for him. Arkansas gals are umm not on the same level as Miami or LA beach babes

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Just being honest in my perhaps optimistic view of why a guy would do this but...

He played in the majors so he ain't doing it for the health care. No NFL team is drafting a nearly 30 year old dude who has a professional career under his belt already, so if not for the education...I don't really see what he'd be going there for?

College girls I guess? NIL can't be that good for him. Arkansas gals are umm not on the same level as Miami or LA beach babes

Yeah, he played 50 games over 3 years. He got $1.8 as a signing bonus and 5 years in the minors with a couple cups of tea which means he probably made like $2 million over 10 years. A nice starting point but not retire for the rest of his life money. He's probably more realistic about needing a non-sports job than like 90% of his teammates.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

There is always hope, the Browns drafted Brandon Weeden at 28.5 years old.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
also being a football player at a university can absolutely end up with you having a cushy job somewhere in town if you are nice to the boosters and play well even if you dont get drafted

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

also being a football player at a university can absolutely end up with you having a cushy job somewhere in town if you are nice to the boosters and play well even if you dont get drafted

Jason White started off doing commercials and billboards for a local air conditioning company and now he's the VP of marketing for it

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm really excited to see Avery Johnson with Matt Wells as his QB Coach.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LYvSpcwNkY

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Man. I miss football. This made the feeling worse.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can't wait for Texas to go undefeated and win a natty this season

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1788933138921443492?s=46

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Weird considering they were usually a bottom tier team in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Big Game Don front and center on the Deluxe Version.

https://x.com/bleacherreport/status/1788961381233905992?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Good article about the FSU/ACC marriage and impending divorce

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article288417309.html