Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Maybe get rid of districts as a voting instrument and just have proportional representation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think it's more likely the other way around

Not in the case of Jefferson Davis Parish.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

jeebus bob posted:

Maybe get rid of districts as a voting instrument and just have proportional representation?

Who could possibly understand such a thing?? :canada:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

drk posted:

No it doesn't? It depends how the population is distributed. If it was purely random, there would be zero black majority districts.

There are multiple different ways things can "make sense."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm the minuscule 9 over Texas. So clearly incorrect even the map maker declines to format it in the same way as other states.

e: it would be interesting to see this broken down by county.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Count Roland posted:

I'm the minuscule 9 over Texas. So clearly incorrect even the map maker declines to format it in the same way as other states.

e: it would be interesting to see this broken down by county.

I assume it's people really close to the Oklahoma border who are also insane to think they are in the Midwest.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Idaho confirmed dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm the 3% of Iowans who somehow think they aren't in the Midwest

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Pakled posted:

I'm the 3% of Iowans who somehow think they aren't in the Midwest

that's the 3% of responders who give joke answers. from every poll i've seen, there seems to be a consistent 3% of the population who respond with the silly answers, to the point where i'm suspicious of polls that do not have this 3% group

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Not in the case of Jefferson Davis Parish.

But yes in the case of Grant and Lincoln.

Land of contrasts.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's just the 3% who looked at a map of the US and answered extremely literally.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 7, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

redleader posted:

that's the 3% of responders who give joke answers. from every poll i've seen, there seems to be a consistent 3% of the population who respond with the silly answers, to the point where i'm suspicious of polls that do not have this 3% group

Also people who misread the question

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everything between the Old Northwest and the Pacific Northwest is the Midwest.

That’s just science.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm gonna take to calling the east coast the "atlantic's west"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gonna start using “South Sea Northwest”.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

saintonan posted:

Idaho confirmed dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Idaho just confirms that 25%-50% of people in large areas of the country with weak geographical identity are using “Midwestern” as shorthand for “white, Conservative, Christian.” Probably correlates strongly with positive “anymore” usage, which feels like it has exploded in recent years.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 7, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ukraine a Central European country, confirmed (Melnik is the equivalent of Mueller). Also, does Belarus have a male majority, or them using the feminine version for Russia just accidentally getting it right?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I never trusted those Maltese!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Well, there are only, like, five of them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mano posted:

I never trusted those Maltese!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was curious, so here's a map of all voting districts of Germany

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

If all the different spellings of Schmied/smith in German (Schmid, Schmidt, Schmit, Schmitt) were counted as one, it would also be the most common, just like in Angloland.
I wonder why that is. With great (physical) power comes great fertility? :smithmouth::huh:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Smith was a pretty common profession, you need them for all sorts of tools and repairs, so they were present in a lot of villages, like millers. I guess "farmer" wasn't enough of a vocation to be a surname on account of most people in rural areas being one?
But also, the history of when and how inherited surnames became commonplace in different countries is relevant and interesting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carthag Tuek posted:

whats going on with the offset borders

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonHair posted:

Smith was a pretty common profession, you need them for all sorts of tools and repairs, so they were present in a lot of villages, like millers. I guess "farmer" wasn't enough of a vocation to be a surname on account of most people in rural areas being one?
But also, the history of when and how inherited surnames became commonplace in different countries is relevant and interesting.

theres a tons of people named -gaard around here, but even also just "bonde" isn't that uncommon

also, Jensen dropped below Nielsen a couple years ago, so that map is already outdated

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Antigravitas posted:

I was curious, so here's a map of all voting districts of Germany

Very enlightening:

(on dark mode)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Issaries posted:

Very enlightening:

(on dark mode)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Salamander, retitled Gerrymander in North America.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

Also people who misread the question

One of the hosts of a podcast I listen to used to tell stories of when he took part in focus groups for tv-pilots. They would be given a kind of remote with a knob that they were supposed to turn to indicate how much they liked/disliked various characters, plots etc. The guy leading the group would always guide them through a test before they started watching the show where he would ask everyone to turn their knob all the way towards "like" or "dislike" just to check that the equipment worked.

Every single time there would be one or two dudes who would "fail" during this intro, even after one or two promptings by the leader.

"Ok, there's a few of you who still haven't turned your dial to the right. Can everyone please check again that YOUR dial is turned ALL THE WAY to the right?" [ten second pause] "Ok, there's still one of you that hasn't turned their dial." [another few seconds] "Nr. 8, can you please turn your dial to the right?" [pause] "That's you, mister Johnson, you're number 8. Can you please turn your dial as well?"

"Oh, sorry"

"Thank you"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Offler posted:

One of the hosts of a podcast I listen to used to tell stories of when he took part in focus groups for tv-pilots. They would be given a kind of remote with a knob that they were supposed to turn to indicate how much they liked/disliked various characters, plots etc. The guy leading the group would always guide them through a test before they started watching the show where he would ask everyone to turn their knob all the way towards "like" or "dislike" just to check that the equipment worked.

Every single time there would be one or two dudes who would "fail" during this intro, even after one or two promptings by the leader.

"Ok, there's a few of you who still haven't turned your dial to the right. Can everyone please check again that YOUR dial is turned ALL THE WAY to the right?" [ten second pause] "Ok, there's still one of you that hasn't turned their dial." [another few seconds] "Nr. 8, can you please turn your dial to the right?" [pause] "That's you, mister Johnson, you're number 8. Can you please turn your dial as well?"

"Oh, sorry"

"Thank you"
Mr. Johnson then gets added as a premium member for future focus groups.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OddObserver posted:

Ukraine a Central European country, confirmed (Melnik is the equivalent of Mueller). Also, does Belarus have a male majority, or them using the feminine version for Russia just accidentally getting it right?

Might be a maiden name thing (or they counted both gendered versions together).

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mr. Johnson then gets added as a premium member for future focus groups.

Definitely part of the focus group dream team now, together with people like the one who filled out a comment card for Rain Man with "I wanted the little guy to snap out of it at the end."

Offler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Issaries posted:

Very enlightening:

Seems like the borders are clearly visible.

Works fine on my machine.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
is georgiou in cyprus not a profession surname? i thought it meant farmer

the real politically loaded element is deciding what counts as a surname across much of the middle east

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

theres a tons of people named -gaard around here, but even also just "bonde" isn't that uncommon

also, Jensen dropped below Nielsen a couple years ago, so that map is already outdated

-Gaard is a different thing, it's not a profession, but a location. I don't know about Bonde, but it might refer to a land owning farmer or something, or it was only used for people who came to the city after being a farmer, where it would actually be a useful designation. If you're living in a farming community, referring to people as "John the farmer" is useless, but "John the smith" or "John from the eastern house" is usually more useful.

I don't actually remember the specifics, but Denmark hosed up and decided to freeze patronymics at one point, which is why there's so many -sen names instead of more interesting stuff like place names, professions and weird poo poo based troll names. They are also on the decline, since a lot of people don't feel strongly for -sen names when they get married or have children.

Also we have double -sen names like Claussen-Jensen, which are either newish marriage compromises or a name given to children born out of wedlock (father's name and mother's name)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

Nielsen ratings are up; Denmark confirmed for another season.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Platystemon posted:

Booo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Not so, they're all going down: