Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1sJG88sRE

Splashed in the river for the last time this past Sunday. Pretty miserable weather, ~8°C and a misty sort of rain started immediately after the splash. It was snowing last Friday. Today we stepped the mast and it was sunny and 20°C. That's April for ya, around here.

Now on to greener pastures (new boat club much closer to where I actually live; I've been in on a waiting list for a spot for like five years and finally got it). Will not miss the ~100 NM spring and autumn transport trips; now I'll have both a mooring and a place on the hard in the same location.

Congrats on the splash and a new home! I don't think I've ever seen a yard with a permanent 'construction' style crane like that before. 99% of the launch/haul out videos I've ever seen had some variation of a travel lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Locator posted:

Congrats on the splash and a new home! I don't think I've ever seen a yard with a permanent 'construction' style crane like that before. 99% of the launch/haul out videos I've ever seen had some variation of a travel lift.

Thanks!

It's a pretty unusual operation even by Swedish standards. Big marinas usually use sublifts (local market dominance from domestic manufacturer) or just bigass forklifts, but a pretty big majority of recreational boats aren't at marinas, they're at cooperative boat clubs. Everyone in a hard hat and hi-vis vest you see in the video is a club member working for free. Clubs vary wildly in what kind of equipment they have for getting boats in and out of the water, but what they have in common is that they don't generally tend to have a lot of capital (membership and yard fees are typically set to cover the running costs but not higher and most clubs have no employees, relying entirely on cooperative unpaid work), so whatever they have tends to stick around. I don't know how old this crane is but I'm pretty sure it's been here since at least the 1960's. It's probably cheap to operate and considering what the river bank looks like and what the land around the area is used for I don't think building a facility suited to a travel lift or sublift (or even a forklift) would be popular with the municipality. The downside is that all boats have to be trailerable to the crane, which has lead to a number of exciting home-built cradles-on-wheels that are technically legal to tow on a public road at a blazing 30 km/h but which just spend their years getting pushed a few hundred meters around the yard by a tractor or wheel loader. For boats that don't have wheeled cradles or which are too heavy to lift with this crane, the club rents a big mobile crane, but this costs extra for the owners. The new club has both a launch railway system and an eclectic collection of mobile cranes and forklifts, some of which look positively antique, so that'll be interesting to see in action.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Splashed in the river for the last time this past Sunday. Pretty miserable weather, ~8°C and a misty sort of rain started immediately after the splash. It was snowing last Friday. Today we stepped the mast and it was sunny and 20°C. That's April for ya, around here.

Now on to greener pastures (new boat club much closer to where I actually live; I've been in on a waiting list for a spot for like five years and finally got it). Will not miss the ~100 NM spring and autumn transport trips; now I'll have both a mooring and a place on the hard in the same location.

Bless the SV Mangosteen and all who sail her.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most (all?) of the lake cranes in Texas are just a 6-24" steel post with reinforcement on both ends and then an I beam on bearings up top

Not quite as fancy as this thing, but mechanically similar. Most of them date back to the late 80s or early 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihnr3qAZbWU

In Texas they swap hard hats for cold beers :clint:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

Haha, what time? I think I drove right past you on Kungsängsbron while you were splashing, I remember seeing the crane moving and a boat going on.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Haha, what time? I think I drove right past you on Kungsängsbron while you were splashing, I remember seeing the crane moving and a boat going on.

Hahaha, 13:04 according to the video timestamp! You should've waved! There was activity there all day though, they launched 5-6 boats an hour most of the day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2024/0119/torqeedo.html

Yamaha apparently bought Torqueedo back in January. Which like, doesn't surprise me in the least, they're both a great product and market leader in their very slim segment

I think the J/70 came with a factory option for a Torqueedo installed, somehow

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Any of you try Products by Remora Marine for hull cleaning?

https://remoramarine.com/brush-assembly/

Its pretty expensive, but its also waterproof. Basically an underwater electric drill that uses brushes of varying coarseness/bristle stiffness to clean poo poo off the hull.

Its expensive, but maybe worth it? Requires you to either hold your breath, or maybe use a snorkel or something.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Any of you try Products by Remora Marine for hull cleaning?

https://remoramarine.com/brush-assembly/

Its pretty expensive, but its also waterproof. Basically an underwater electric drill that uses brushes of varying coarseness/bristle stiffness to clean poo poo off the hull.

Its expensive, but maybe worth it? Requires you to either hold your breath, or maybe use a snorkel or something.

I'm pretty sure SV Delos got one a few years ago and love it.

I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that for that device but we'll see if my tune changes after a year or two in the tropics...

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
After seeing a whole bunch of boats over the off-season, including a supremely charming wooden one that you all helped convince me not to get, I bought a fifty year old Grampian 30. The cost was super reasonable (6k Canadian) for what's basically turnkey with no major projects to do.

Which is good, because it's about 115nm away as the crow flies. At least it's the right lake. It'll be a neat first long sail that I'm recruiting a friend to help with.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

After seeing a whole bunch of boats over the off-season, including a supremely charming wooden one that you all helped convince me not to get, I bought a fifty year old Grampian 30. The cost was super reasonable (6k Canadian) for what's basically turnkey with no major projects to do.

Which is good, because it's about 115nm away as the crow flies. At least it's the right lake. It'll be a neat first long sail that I'm recruiting a friend to help with.

Congrats! How long is the route home as the boat sails? I've done 100 NM ish in a weekend with overnight stops and it's certainly doable (motoring at 6 knots and change almost the entire way), but not that much fun. With a totally unfamiliar boat though it's always best to count on everything taking twice as long as it should.

We'll need to see some pictures too, I think.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you don't have it, this book should be useful

https://www.portsbooks.com/lake-ontario-edition/

I got my copy at fogh marine in Port credit

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErG8RnqKc1s

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I splashed just over a week ago as well. Had a nice mini-weekend aboard courtesy of may 1st.

Fifth season with this thing, nearly 400 hours on the engine, we couldn't be happier with it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is that what boat people call launching their boat for the season?
I put mine in Saturday. Weather was good enough. It was late in the day so I only got out for half hour or so.

Sunday was lovely. Tried to go yesterday but got hosed around. Was going to go today but some rear end in a top hat I work with got thrown in the drunk tank last night so I had to go and work on site today.
The rest of the week including the weekend is supposed to be lovely.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Congrats! How long is the route home as the boat sails? I've done 100 NM ish in a weekend with overnight stops and it's certainly doable (motoring at 6 knots and change almost the entire way), but not that much fun. With a totally unfamiliar boat though it's always best to count on everything taking twice as long as it should.

We'll need to see some pictures too, I think.

I've been running some possibilities and it's about 120-155. There's a shorter route that takes you through a long canal, but it requires motoring and sharing space with others and narrow channels which is just :effort:
The long way round dumps me in the middle of Lake Ontario and allows me to make a straight shot in open water. With a good wind it should be doable without any stops in a full day. If the weather refuses to cooperate we'll likely stay safe and motor through the canal route, maybe making some stops along the way.

wesleywillis posted:

If you don't have it, this book should be useful

https://www.portsbooks.com/lake-ontario-edition/

I got my copy at fogh marine in Port credit

I have this on my shopping list and will be swinging by Fogh soon.

Any other must-have books, I'm all ears. It's a Volvo Penta MD2B so I'm about to become a part-time diesel mechanic. Conveniently they have the manual on their site.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm only splashing in the toilet :smith:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sometimes I miss the excitement of an Atlanta boat ramp compared to the generally dull Michigan ramps where people tend to just waste time removing straps on the ramp or tying up two lanes because one spouse learned how to drive the boat and back up the trailer while the other spouse is only qualified to hold a dock post.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Any other must-have books, I'm all ears. It's a Volvo Penta MD2B so I'm about to become a part-time diesel mechanic. Conveniently they have the manual on their site.

Oh hello there fellow 1970's Volvo Penta owner (I have an MD7A, which is a bit newer and smaller). These 1970's small Volvo Penta diesels are still in pretty widespread use here in Sweden and parts availability is pretty good. These things seem to run almost forever if they don't rust out from the inside; follow the winterization procedures in the manual to prevent that. Many engines around here have been converted to closed loop cooling using a third party conversion kit to avoid running salt water through the engine block, but since you're on freshwater lakes you don't need to worry about that.

Brain dump of things you probably already know: if the thing starts easily and doesn't make a lot of smoke it's most likely in pretty good shape (thin grey smoke is normal, especially when it's cold; blue smoke means its burning oil, black smoke means it's not getting enough air or the injectors are screwed up, thick white smoke is actually water vapor and means something's messed up with the cooling and/or exhaust system). Change oil (15W-40 mineral) and oil filter every fall religiously even if you don't have a lot of hours on it that season (get a vacuum oil extractor pump and don't try to empty it when it's ice cold). Change the water separator filter every year, and the fuel filter on the engine itself at least every other year or so. Clogged filters are no fun and always happen at the worst of times. Watch the exhaust elbow for rust, it lasts a long time (decades, usually) but not forever. If you start seeing thicker grey smoke that lasts longer it might be time for an injector service; it's standard Bosch stuff so any diesel mechanic should be able to service them but getting them out can be a pain in the rear end. Keep an eye on the fuel feed pump, if it starts leaking fuel there you might have to replace it (it's usually the membrane; there used to be a service kit with a replacement membrane that has now been unobtanium for a long time, but a new pump is easy to get and not that expensive). Your coolant hoses might be leaking too if they're old, but they're typically not hard to replace nor very expensive.

Sailboat engines mainly wear from cold starts and short runs where they don't get to work up to temperature properly. It might be a good idea to run the engine under load (e.g. motoring around) for at least half an hour every few trips to make sure it gets up to temperature. Don't be afraid to run it at 80% of max RPM continuously, it actually likes that a lot better than puttering around at barely above idle. Also, it's easy to install aftermarket coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges if you want those. The original oil pressure sensor can start leaking after 50 years of service so if it does that you might as well replace it with a new sensor that supports both the low pressure alarm and a gauge output.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 8, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I've been running some possibilities and it's about 120-155. There's a shorter route that takes you through a long canal, but it requires motoring and sharing space with others and narrow channels which is just :effort:
The long way round dumps me in the middle of Lake Ontario and allows me to make a straight shot in open water. With a good wind it should be doable without any stops in a full day. If the weather refuses to cooperate we'll likely stay safe and motor through the canal route, maybe making some stops along the way.

I have this on my shopping list and will be swinging by Fogh soon.

Don't know any other books offhand bit I'm still new at this boating poo poo.

Which canal ? Welland?

(You mentioned a straight shot across the lake)

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Hadlock posted:

I guess they secretly splashed Tally Ho sometime this afternoon

Since you posted this I've been bing watching the series, can't believe I missed it!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I stumbled across it one day, this ~22yo kid single handedly sawing apart a giant piece of purpleheart and then joining it back together with a hand cut scarf joint to make the keel

Completely insane, but also very impressive. I joined his patreon (for a while) almost immediately

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I am only on episode 50ish but timing wise I could've volunteered for a solid 3-4 weeks around that time, Sequim is only a couple hours from me. What an amazing guy/project!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

raggedphoto posted:

I am only on episode 50ish but timing wise I could've volunteered for a solid 3-4 weeks around that time, Sequim is only a couple hours from me. What an amazing guy/project!

I found this when it was linked on Model Ship World (I build wooden model ships as a goofy hobby) when there were maybe 5 episodes out. I've followed without fail ever since. His woodwork and planning is amazing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah there are a thousand different ways this could have failed, or just gave up and sailed it across the Pacific with nothing but a stove and hammock down below, but nope everything is 110% first class, no expense spared. What he's built is without a doubt better than the original Yacht at this point

Every piece of cast bronze, even the parts bolting the bilge together that nobody will ever see again, were polished to a mirror finish. I think he may have gone overboard on that bit in particular, but made for some excellent b roll bragging rights

When he gets bored of circumnavigating the world and winning the fastnet race I'm sure he'll have no shortage of clients who want that level of detail going forward

Also, I think "no feet Pete" pushed hard for a big raise and he said no, that's hard to do. Lots of planning, but also a tremendous amount of people management he's the whole package deal

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Don't know any other books offhand bit I'm still new at this boating poo poo.

Which canal ? Welland?

(You mentioned a straight shot across the lake)

Murray. It links the eastern end of Prince Edward County (well, Trenton and Belleville anyway) to Presqu'ile Bay.

Here's my new girl, the SV Habeas Porpoise. I've got a list of short-term jobs to do and #1 is gonna be to get some proper instrumentation, because the only thing on it is a...depth/fishfinder. What the hell. Also I hate dodgers so that's gotta go.

You might notice the bowsprit and forestay. There's basically no info about the cutter rig for this boat online besides one low-quality diagram. That diagram suggests the inner stay goes up the mast partway and the outer connects at the top. This one has both meeting at the top. The inner is set up with furling and this was never actually used as a cutter, but my ultimate goal is to get it working because cutters are a top-tier rig.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

drat that looks sweet! I'll keep the name on mind, if I see you onthe lake I'll come up along side and ask if you have stairs in your boat.

I'm currently posting from the Toronto outer Harbour marina parking lot. Time to get my permit so I can fish the islands

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 11, 2024

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

clever name

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Here's my new girl, the SV Habeas Porpoise. I've got a list of short-term jobs to do and #1 is gonna be to get some proper instrumentation, because the only thing on it is a...depth/fishfinder. What the hell. Also I hate dodgers so that's gotta go.

You might notice the bowsprit and forestay. There's basically no info about the cutter rig for this boat online besides one low-quality diagram. That diagram suggests the inner stay goes up the mast partway and the outer connects at the top. This one has both meeting at the top.

Very nice!

I think usually when people have two full length forestays it's because they want to have easy access to both a >100% downwind headsail like a genoa or a code zero or something, and a smaller upwind headsail like a self-tacking jib. I've mostly seen that setup on long distance cruising yachts though.

Unrelated, taking bets on how old this crane at the new boat club is:

German Wikipedia tells me the Rheinstahl brand was not used after 1976 so it's at least that old.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2024

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You might notice the bowsprit and forestay. There's basically no info about the cutter rig for this boat online besides one low-quality diagram. That diagram suggests the inner stay goes up the mast partway and the outer connects at the top. This one has both meeting at the top. The inner is set up with furling and this was never actually used as a cutter, but my ultimate goal is to get it working because cutters are a top-tier rig.
That's more like a solent rig, not a cutter rig--the inner forestay in a cutter meets the mast a ways below the top and is joined to the foredeck, not the bow.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Finally got out this afternoon for a real run.

Put the trolling motor in and made sure both fish finders were doing what they were supposed to.

Gave it a good work out too, got up to 71 (kmh) for a brief moment. If I dropped a few pounds off of it I could maybe hit 75. Managed to stay at 69 (nice!!!!!) for a bit of time. Filled it up when I came back in. I don't remember what it was for most of last year, but this year at the fuel dock it's $2.48/L

Ffffuuuuucccckkkkk.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Oof. Dock gas is priced like beer at a sports stadium.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kenshin posted:

That's more like a solent rig, not a cutter rig--the inner forestay in a cutter meets the mast a ways below the top and is joined to the foredeck, not the bow.

I've always heard that called a slutter. Is there a difference?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I've always heard that called a slutter. Is there a difference?

Not sure... But like anything there are lots of shades in between so it's not surprising a term like that would be made as well

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cat Hatter posted:

Oof. Dock gas is priced like beer at a sports stadium.

astronaut-meme-always-has-been.jpg

a million years ago I had a jet boat with a small block 400 with velocity stacks, dual carbs, and a compression of 14-1. It required 110 octane race fuel, which was five bucks a gallon in 2001 :shepicide:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

$2.48 a liter is $9.37 a gallon :v:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I was going to say something about using e85 nowadays, but that might be one of the last places where it's still worth it to pay the extra money for race gas.

But yeah, I remember my parents trailering our boat to probably Lake St. Clair (maybe Huron or Erie though) and I asked why we didn't fill the gas tank at the dock while we were there. "Because it costs two or three times what it does at a regular station"

Edit:

TrueChaos posted:

$2.48 a liter is $9.37 a gallon :v:
Hey, the math still checks out at least for the Detroit metro area.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 13, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm hoping the price will go down a bit over the summer, but I don't know if thats a thing or not with marinas.

I was at the Toronto out harbour marina Saturday and gas was the same price at the dock there.
Theres two other fuel docks, one relatively close by, and another thats uhhhh less close but not "far", I should see what the price is at them, but this one I pass on my way to and from the dock so its mega convenient.

Members get a 10% discount on fuel. I'm not a member. This place some of the boats have dinghies that are as big as my boat. I should consider a couple jerry cans and fill up in the middle of the lake.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Here in Fort Lauderdale there’s actually a rather brisk business in fuel delivery; IE fuel truck will come to your house and fuel your boat either on the trailer or at your dock. It’s more expensive than self serve, but it’s a LOT cheaper than paying retail at the fuel dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

wesleywillis posted:

this year at the fuel dock it's $2.48/L

owned

That's Canadian dollars, yeah? That's European prices right there. I filled up with diesel last weekend and paid just under 22 SEK (1.88 EUR) per liter, and that's the expensive non-RME marine diesel too. Gas is a little bit more expensive though.