Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
when i took macro and micro as an undergrad (before failing out of university three times, twenty years ago) it was significantly less ridiculous than this and that was a community college

like, the price that you are willing to pay is the price that you actually pay, it didn't cover some kind of deranged libertarian moral dimension and also taught about demand elasticity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

putting these two news items together makes it even funnier

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1785285975683596765

im glad MBA brain is going to kill finance next

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Is the economy really held up by all of the investment banker analysts that need to be on hand, 24/7 365, at full intensity forever and always to investment bank with peak intensity and effectiveness at any nanosecond?

My brother-in-law is a banker. I suppose there's 2 answers to this. One, is the eoy bonus. Two, is that banks are always looking to let go of analysts and loan managers for any reason, simply to put the fear of god into the rest. So it's dramatic full intensity because if you don't, you don't get a bonus and you'll probably be out the door.

Banks have no loyalty to employees, just the opposite, and they like their analysts and loan managers nervous and scared. It's a hosed up career to be in.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

How are these the best paid people in the world?

Hubbert posted:

I hate neoclassical economists I HATE NEOCLAASICAL ECOBONICTS AHHHHHHH

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

The benefit value is exactly what you're willing to pay

I guess this is why I'm not a rich banker

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

the popes toes posted:

My brother-in-law is a banker. I suppose there's 2 answers to this. One, is the eoy bonus. Two, is that banks are always looking to let go of analysts and loan managers for any reason, simply to put the fear of god into the rest. So it's dramatic full intensity because if you don't, you don't get a bonus and you'll probably be out the door.

Banks have no loyalty to employees, just the opposite, and they like their analysts and loan managers nervous and scared. It's a hosed up career to be in.

yeah but what are they actually doing that takes literally every minute of every day forever

I get that they'll be scorned and fired for not working that hard and that they are paid to work that hard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah but what are they actually doing that takes literally every minute of every day forever

I get that they'll be scorned and fired for not working that hard and that they are paid to work that hard

my understanding is mostly making powerpoints and excel spreadsheets for their bosses to give to clients or potential clients

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Someone tried to explain this using the film Trading Places to me once. Iirc, when you were trading crates of oranges, and later, contracts like futures that represented crates of oranges, you needed employees busting their asses at all hours to actually track the prices and match buyers and sellers, and shippers and insurers, to get the maximum profit possible. Since prices could fluctuate in seconds but you actually needed people handling physical contracts in real time, it developed this frantic culture where people are constantly trying to get info on the market, and making phone calls, and racing around the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLySXTIBS3c

But I have no idea how true that is, since the London stock market and insurance firms started by guys hanging out in coffee houses waiting for the news to trickle in, and on the other hand, these trades are all done by computers that match buyers and sellers continuously, and monitor the markets while using an algorithm to make trades, so do you need someone reading the Bloomberg terminal late into the night?

e: on the subject of Trading Places, didn't some WSB guys get in trouble from commodities trading? Since if you don't sell an orange juice contract to someone down the line, eventually you have to receive delivery of 15k lbs of orange juice, right?

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 01:19 on May 7, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's basically impossible for there to actually be 100+ hours of real work needed per employee per week and also all these guys are expendable and you can just dust one at random to scare the rest. That particular set up reeks of a toxic environment that's more performative than anything else.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Driving home hungry because the meal I wanted is exactly 45 cents more than I had planned on spending. I am a rational actor

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Paradoxish posted:

It's basically impossible for there to actually be 100+ hours of real work needed per employee per week and also all these guys are expendable and you can just dust one at random to scare the rest. That particular set up reeks of a toxic environment that's more performative than anything else.

I've been assured that only applies to Japan, sorry.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Driving home hungry because the meal I wanted is exactly 45 cents more than I had planned on spending. I am a rational actor

Obviously you should have waited until you're hungry enough to spend 45 cents more.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol just listening in on an optional Sustainable Wellbeing Webinar at work and they suggest "having a cry to reduce your cortisol levels if the buildup is too great. This lets you get back into the zone."

And remember, these problems and anxieties you feel are your responsibility.
Don't forget to do good work! We don't want quiet quitting! It's sad from a career perspective!

Oh lmao, it seems that everyone plans a 2 week holiday and gets sick immediately! Could be caused from unregulated work stress... Remember to get those cortisol levels down!

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 02:08 on May 7, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sitting in the Wendy's parking lot until the price of a Baconator hits my limit order.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

because of when he started investing, just simply being in the market would've meant he benefited massively from the expansion of finance over time. combine that with avoiding dumbass investing 101 mistakes and whatever funds you would've started with would've ballooned logarithmically

incidentally this kinda plays into a part of why so many of these finance types are Concerned about declining population growth. their entire careers have hinged onto specifically getting more and more people either buying into the market, which makes number go up, or working in the economy, which also makes number go up. when you run out of people to pull into the pyramid, number stops going up (without financial trickery)

This (intentionally, I suspect) downplays it. he didn't get lucky and score off a lottery ticket, he got lucky by recognizing what sort of position he was in and parking himself right there and refusing to budge

tfw you realize the boiler room is the climate, and baby, is it heatin up!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

How are these the best paid people in the world?

the actual answer is A but C embodies the ideology that these self-styled mentat freaks forcefeed themselves and their acolytes

why are you willing to pay $15 exactly? it doesn't matter, there is some formula or a chart that said so probably. in any case that's The Correct Price Based On Pure Crystalline Logic so you better not consider anything else!

the sort of crass underlying lesson is to spank the young businessman for going a cent over budget out of laziness, because in the corporate world you will be killed for that

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

$15 is the maximum price you personally can afford to pay - any more than that, you're better off going hungry or getting food elsewhere.

Don't get fooled by the weird phrasing, the question is just "Is it possible for a meal to be too pricey to be worth buying?"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you pick A then you're willing to pay $16 for it, justifying A.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

D, I do not have the required information to work out the equilibrium price.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

E: I'm hungry and economics is tea leaf reading bullshit anyway.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

D, I do not have the required information to work out the equilibrium price.

no problem, all you have to do is uniquely determine the demand and supply curves based on observable price and quantity data and...oh...

oh no...

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I, private equity, will buy the restaurant's assets, and eat for free and raise all the prices while I sell off assets piecemeal and I will retain the eatery's real estate for rental income. Is the correct answer.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I pay $16 but resent them and remember to never go back again cause the prices have become bullshit

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I already spent more than the $1 difference in gas getting to the fuckin place no way I'm going home over a dollar. Sunk cost my dick and balls

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Okay this question but it's insulin.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/StockMKTNewz/status/1787505757836976422

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I feel like

quote:

A(1.) pay $16 but take it out of the tip
is the answer that would get you a ticket to middle management

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No doubt it cost the sandwich shop owner something like $2 for the ingredients to make this sandwich, but because he's a small business tyrant he's charging eight times that to "recoup his investment" or whatever. So gently caress him; food is a human right that should be distributed based on need.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No doubt it cost the sandwich shop owner something like $2 for the ingredients to make this sandwich, but because he's a small business tyrant he's charging eight times that to "recoup his investment" or whatever. So gently caress him; food is a human right that should be distributed based on need.

Ya know, there's more than the cost of ingredients that go into the cost of a sandwich.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

at this point you might as well enroll in university and BOGO education

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Dying for bofa

bofa who?:downs:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
That's such a nonsense question when you think about how most businesses operate anyway.

"suppose you are willing to pay up to $1000 for landscape work. Your favorite contractor bids $1100. Do you maintain your business relationship with the contractor of known reputation or do you throw the dice and find someone else?"

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

deez nutz

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mike the TV posted:

Ya know, there's more than the cost of ingredients that go into the cost of a sandwich.

Sure, the love that goes into making the sandwich, but the benefit of that can't be quantified.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

ProfessorBooty posted:

Okay this question but it's insulin.

There was a slide where the three examples of types of need were food, insulin, and an iPhone.

I'm starting to realize how we bought the F-35, if this is the Econ course everyone needs to take to make genius policy decisions.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I need an eight foot long Italian hoagie

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ProfessorBooty posted:

That's such a nonsense question when you think about how most businesses operate anyway.

"suppose you are willing to pay up to $1000 for landscape work. Your favorite contractor bids $1100. Do you maintain your business relationship with the contractor of known reputation or do you throw the dice and find someone else?"

Obviously you find someone else lower, $1100 is a hard number on the sheets, landscaping doesn't even make any money so who cares? Take the first $1099 bid you find

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

There was a slide where the three examples of types of need were food, insulin, and an iPhone.

specifically to contrast them and explain elasticity, right??

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

because as Homo economicus you have declared your demand for anything priced above $15 to be zero. the benefit of the food does not enter into the equation because you are Homo economicus. as Homo sapians however you have a functional brain and recognize that A is the correct answer and economics is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

Do they pay musicians as contractors instead of W2 employees in the U.S.? (Guessing that of course they do.)

Most times its contracted labor, unless they work for some company (session musicians, if that still exists, or like broadway musicians) maybe theyre treated as regular employees. But in my experiences ive seen artists pretty much only treated as indie labor.

Of course depending on who the musician is it could be handled via an LLC or s corp. Lot of freelancers do that kinda thing if its worth the effort