Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so i've been turning my excess steel scrap into tire irons to max daily cap limits, a byproduct of being too lazy to sort what i want off piles of corpses and just hitting take all, or have i been living wrong and that there is a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76-

Tried 3 Expeditions today and all 3 bugged out in some way. Twice I had enemies still showing as in the area I needed to defend even after I killed them. So the marker was over their exploded pile of parts. And once the NPC I needed to talk to continue just didn't appear. I just keep repeating "I only need 50 stamps" to myself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Booty Pageant posted:

so i've been turning my excess steel scrap into tire irons to max daily cap limits, a byproduct of being too lazy to sort what i want off piles of corpses and just hitting take all, or have i been living wrong and that there is a better way?

it really doesn't matter if you're just doing it for the vendor cap throttle, just sell whatever you have a lot of :shrug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

i used to turn a lot of my excess materials into those same materials but inside newly created player's inventories

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FO76

How do daily quest resets work? It doesn't really seem like they all actually reset? I haven't been able to do the Cooking Mama one in Whitespring except for the first time I did it.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

FO76

How do daily quest resets work? It doesn't really seem like they all actually reset? I haven't been able to do the Cooking Mama one in Whitespring except for the first time I did it.

those whitesprings refuge dailys reset when daily ops do but there's several of them and often times you have to walk right up to whoever before it pops.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hakarne posted:

Finally got the alien disintegrator plan to drop and it got me to try rifleman out again. I rolled an I/AP/FR and it's great for everything outside of events, which I'll use an Exe/FFR/25 for. Just walk into a room and 1 or two shot everything in VATS except bosses. Then I hit the jackpot and found someone selling a AA/50CD/1P Gauss Rifle for 1500 caps. I'm having fun swapping between my instigating disintegrator and AA Gauss to delete chunky enemies, or if it's a boss get them in range for executioners.

1900 damage on a full health build, what a deal lol

Mine might be bad or I made it bad or have a bad build idk. It doesn’t do as much as I want. Shame bc I’m an alien whore and love all things aliens and flatwoods and mothman

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

FO76

Yeah it's weird. They're supposed to reset every day but it feels more like every other day. Just did the cooking one an hour ago so I'm going to check it again at the same time tomorrow. Haven't found anyone to do any favors for in a few days either.

I thought I had filled the meter for the Settlers...only to find out there's another one. Hopefully this is the final one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay Cold Shoulder does indeed kick rear end and I can easily see it carrying me while getting a build together, thanks for the recommendation!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there any point to settlements on survival mode beyond making the most utilitarian bed and water hose pit stop imaginable? It just seems like you're wasting your time if you can fast travel to them. Maybe having supply lines set up to cart forward all your junk is worthwhile but I think that takes management of settlers and poo poo which can't be done remotely?

I'm not that interested in the mechanic because I'm a wandering drug dealer but just wondering.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can ignore settlements survival mode or not, especially if you don't plan to go deep into the Minutemen storyline.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SettingSun posted:

You can ignore settlements survival mode or not, especially if you don't plan to go deep into the Minutemen storyline.

Yeah I guess what I mean is do the settlements work on survival mode? Like it seems pretty fast travel dependent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

Yeah I guess what I mean is do the settlements work on survival mode? Like it seems pretty fast travel dependent.

what do you mean by "work"?

the settlements are fully functional in survival mode, in that you can build things, and you can attract settlers, and you want to provide food and water to the settlers, and the excess food and water will be deposited into the settlement's workshop, which you can make use of in survival; and the more advanced settlement perks let you build out stores/market stalls, which you can make use of

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

what do you mean by "work"?

the settlements are fully functional in survival mode, in that you can build things, and you can attract settlers, and you want to provide food and water to the settlers, and the excess food and water will be deposited into the settlement's workshop, which you can make use of in survival; and the more advanced settlement perks let you build out stores/market stalls, which you can make use of

Won't they just get destroyed by Raiders unless I walk across the map every time they get attacked? By work I mean be of some use beyond what I do which is make a bed and a tap then leave. Can I get the water and food send to a collective pool?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Most of the time they can defend themselves if you laid enough defenses down. They can't be completely destroyed either if you decide to ignore them. Put as much or as little effort as you want into them; they're the same as any other difficulty. You inability to teleport to them changes little.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Everyone give me your ballistic fiber.
I hate this grind.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

vendors at whitesprings will have it in bulk and also train stations

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If I buy junk from vendors, that's fewer caps I can spend on furniture plans!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

If you ever get access to the ammo terminal you can convert steel into piles of spikes for the railway rifle and then convert those into whatever kind of ammo you need, but that requires either an atom shop purchase or a high reputation with the raiders and a bunch of gold to unlock the terminal.

You might also check the value of tire irons versus throwing knives, which I believe are also just steel.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

JBP posted:

use some mod to disable the No Fast Travel bullshit, we all have finite time on this earth and traversing areas you've already cleared and won't respawn for a week of ingame time is not ~difficulty~

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

CelticPredator posted:

Mine might be bad or I made it bad or have a bad build idk. It doesn’t do as much as I want. Shame bc I’m an alien whore and love all things aliens and flatwoods and mothman

What really made it click for me was Sneak (it's a silenced gun) and 3 ranks in Concentrated Fire, which adds like 20% hit chance after every shot. So even if you only have like 40%-50% hit chance aim for their head and fire, even if your first 1 or 2 shots miss you'll be up at 95% and can just drill their dome from crazy range. Even without instigating it can 2-3 shot nearly everything if you're hitting it in the head, and the AP cost is pretty low. It quickly became my favorite gun.

This guy shows the playstyle pretty well. I didn't watch the whole thing with his build but just to give you an idea

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSFBwRGZMY

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

JBP posted:

Is there any point to settlements on survival mode beyond making the most utilitarian bed and water hose pit stop imaginable? It just seems like you're wasting your time if you can fast travel to them. Maybe having supply lines set up to cart forward all your junk is worthwhile but I think that takes management of settlers and poo poo which can't be done remotely?

I'm not that interested in the mechanic because I'm a wandering drug dealer but just wondering.

One of my favorite elements of my survival run was setting up starlight theater as a central hub and connecting it to the all the other settlements I had access to so that no matter which settlement I was in, I had full access to my crafting resources. Then I would use aquaboy plus the rivers to get around relatively quickly.

It did get a bit old running back and forth at times, but it was still an interesting playthrough and not fast traveling everywhere was a big part of that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

use some mod to disable the No Fast Travel bullshit, we all have finite time on this earth and traversing areas you've already cleared and won't respawn for a week of ingame time is not ~difficulty~

I actually like it. I've been working in loops and taking different streets or paths when back tracking. The game is dense enough to make this viable which is actually worthy of credit.

That said I'm sure it will get old as time passes. One thing I do like is having to move house where I pack all my poo poo and it's a tense journey to the next hub. Leaving my red rocket base to trek to DC with as much poo poo as I could carry was a nice moment.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Inzombiac posted:

I got bored in 76 of having the same kinda compound as everyone else so...

CHAIR WORLD

YES

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I started a quest Miner Miracles in 76 and it seems like I could craft myself power armor with it. I found a chassis and some parts earlier, but it's too high level for me (I'm 32) and I don't have any fusion cores, so it sits in my storage. I think you're supposed to get the power armor stand plan if you do this quest, so how can I get a lot of black titanium?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

TeaJay posted:

I started a quest Miner Miracles in 76 and it seems like I could craft myself power armor with it. I found a chassis and some parts earlier, but it's too high level for me (I'm 32) and I don't have any fusion cores, so it sits in my storage. I think you're supposed to get the power armor stand plan if you do this quest, so how can I get a lot of black titanium?

Ah, the cycle continues. If you do that uranium miner event you'll get a ton. If you run that event one time you'll have enough, so look for it. Blackwater mine is a good location to run through. You get black titanium by scrapping mole miner gear.

P.S. The armor is worth it.

I'm personally on the gold bullion grind for some secret service armor.

Edit - The TNote daily trade-in limit is bullshit!

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 7, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It brings me great pleasure to announce that I picked up four more chair/couch plans and will be reworking this in to a much better store.
The resort chairs are really nice, not just by Fallout standards.

Also, literally all of my problems with 76 would be solved if there were vertical half-walls.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I see that there is a Responders power armor skin. How often to Atom store items cycle?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I see that there is a Responders power armor skin. How often to Atom store items cycle?

about once a week, most items are there nearly a month although there's frequently more limited sales. there's also the support request method but you'll have to google for how that's done I've never bothered.

as to how long until the specific item rotates back around it's never clear until tuesday

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
FO76:

How does stealth commando gameplay work? Rifleman was easy since it's one shot sniping, but automatic weapons have all sorts of recoil and it's noticeably more difficult to play unless I'm doing it wrong. Are you supposed to just use VATS the entire time? Is it not meant to be this long range?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've got a broken questline in FO4.

Did the initial quest with Danse where you go fight a bunch of synths to get their radio working, then hosed off to do a bunch of other stuff and progressed to the point where the BoS shows up proper. Got dragged to their airship and now I'm a knight but then got distracted by other poo poo.
Among thst other poo poo was the questline with the distress signals which ends with me finding the last survivor of a BoS squad in a bunker. Convinced him to return to duty and now the quest wants me to turn it in to Danse, but I can't.

He's a companion now and when I talk to him (either when I have him active or not) I can't turn in the quest. Googling suggested to talk to some guy at the BoS ship but all he does is comment on the status of ship or whatever without any dialogue.

Kinda sucks.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That's the ol'Bethesda craftsmanship!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The wiki says you should be able to talk to Kells after you finish Show No Mercy to close the quest. Try that if you haven't.

Still an annoying bug!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Books On Tape posted:

FO76:

How does stealth commando gameplay work? Rifleman was easy since it's one shot sniping, but automatic weapons have all sorts of recoil and it's noticeably more difficult to play unless I'm doing it wrong. Are you supposed to just use VATS the entire time? Is it not meant to be this long range?

Take Concentrated Fire and use VATS. Even at rank 1, CF will let you snipe while only wasting a couple bullets. Your time will be spent more in the mid-range popping heads on two shots.

I use a fairly mediocre Fixer and scream through enemies with maxed out Commando cards.
I like commando sniping more than rifleman because I get to use one gun for all content.

Just wish there was a way to auto-spend Crits.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
FO76 -

Okay, every time I do Union Dues I get 13 stamps. One more and that will be enough for the auto axe mod I want.
*do the stupid Expedition, including finishing all the side missions*
Rewards screen: 8 stamps.

Fuuuuck you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I think my tips for Fallout 76, now that I'm closing in on 100 hours, is to not let those ingredients go to waste. Even if you're not gonna use the food, crafting it nets you experience, and it's a quick and easy thing to sell off. I've gained whole levels just making food after particularly lucrative animal events, and with a three star Super Duper you get a lot of food.

I have also, for the record, never paid attention to a single food effect. Food goes in the belly; that's nice. End of statement.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

When you see Moonshine Jamboree start, you just made your caps for the day. Gulper slurry is a currency all its own.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Last time I made two days worth of caps, it was a nice excuse to just take a long break so I could wait for the shop to reset.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I want that dang autopsy table!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

FO76:

Some weapons pair better with VATS. The Fixer has pretty extreme recoil, which makes aiming down sights (ADS) rough since the barrel moves randomly every shot. The Railway Rifle is even worse. VATS is the only way for the auto Railway Rifle to really shine.

Some weapons (Assault rifle, Handmade rifle) are actually extremely smooth with low recoil. My first Handmade I was happy with rolling was Bloodied/Faster Fire Rate/25%AP and it was practically a laser-gun in terms of ADS accuracy. It was a terrific weapon to bridge the gap between me using ADS for everything, and me settling in to a full-time VATS build.

When you've got near unlimited amounts of AP (and low-HP Unyielding armor runners do) Stealth Commando is essentially:

1) Equip Concentrated Fire and Gun-Fu perks
2) Target a creature's weakspot in VATS
3) Hold spacebar to crit
4) Hold mouse1 down
5) Watch in amazement as your VATS shots jump from dead creature to the next target until literally every single enemy in front of you is dead or you run out of AP.

EDIT: If you're deadset on ADS, try not to empty your clip. Practice controlled clicking to squeeze out 3 round bursts. You'd be surprised to see how much ammo gets wasted shooting enemies that already died before the server can catch up.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 7, 2024