Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

high speed low latency (phone) operators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

navy.

army.

space.

air.

long ago, the four branches lived together in harmony.

then, everything changed when the space force attacked.

only the commander in chief, master of all four branches, could stop them. but when the world needed him most, he vanished :sad:

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I always forget that the Coast Guard also has operators, that apparently have GWOT deployments.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Elementary school kids used to overnight here, lol ask me how I know

Edit: “geographically separated” = “over an hour away, used to be an urbex Coast Guard station from god knows when”

hellotoothpaste has issued a correction as of 00:21 on May 7, 2024

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Even if they demanded to have a space force they should been a sub-branch of the Navy like the marines are. Space ships are basically submarines, not airplanes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

space coast force to force

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

hellotoothpaste posted:

Elementary school kids used to overnight here, lol ask me how I know

Edit: “geographically separated” = “over an hour away, used to be an urbex Coast Guard station from god knows when”

Is it just a lighthouse, radio station and observatory?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
helicopters are cavalry, as evidenced by their speed, strategic mobility over rough terrain, and insatiable drive to kill their riders

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kazzah posted:

helicopters are cavalry, as evidenced by their speed, strategic mobility over rough terrain, and insatiable drive to kill their riders

they're also worthless deathtraps in the face of organized and equipped opposition and used almost exclusively for chevauchee, they're a perfect match

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
space force feels like it's for the tech bros and computer touchers the other branches don't want

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Oh they really do set up little Science Camp stuff when "attached" to SOF:

Space Force Guardians advance SOF Space interoperability during Emerald Warrior exercise

U.S. Space Force Tech Sgt. Kyle Yeager, flight chief of the 527th Space Aggressor Maintenance Flight and certified GPS operator, adjusts the tilt of the helical antenna in preparation for training exercise with the AC-130J Ghostrider at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico on March 5, 2024. Emerald Warrior provides annual realistic, relevant, high-end pre-deployment training in a complex and evolving security environment using all aspects of live, virtual and constructive training assets.

So the SOF guys are all gonna kill these dudes so they can continue their drug smuggling right?

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Not if the Space Force can make themselves invaluable by introducing them to taking drugs and going to the planetarium.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Is it just a lighthouse, radio station and observatory?

Last I checked, it was the first thing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao forever that the founder of Space Force is Donald Trump.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Oldest Man posted:

space coast force to force

username thread

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KomradeX posted:

So the SOF guys are all gonna kill these dudes so they can continue their drug smuggling right?

not going to be surprised when X-37 starts launching from Colombia and Kandahar

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Space Force Looks to Build Ties with More Combatant Commands—Like CYBERCOM and SOCOM

e: Dear Jesus from comments:

"The Army, Navy and Air Force are all already represented in JSOC through CAG, RRC, ISA, DEVGRU & the 24th STS. However the Marine Corps and the Space Force both lack tier 1 JSOC components. Which of these branches do you think will get a JSOC component first?

Personally my money is on the Space Force. There's already discussions about adding a Space Force element to SOCOM called USSFSOC or SPACESOC and after that its only a matter of time before they get a JSOC unit. USSF will handle military space operations. Having a dedicated team devoted to SOF activities will allow the USSF to retain some of that combat capable, war fighting culture. Space Force should not be only for the desk jockeys and the force support personnel.

The first mission set would be small unit combat space expertise (imagine a hybrid of Combat Air Advisor/Tactical Air Control Party, but for Space operations). These would be space professionals embedded with, or assigned to, SOF units in order to provide space expertise (and relevant direct impact space operations) for terrestrial missions. This mission set makes sense because it is much more effective to train a space operator to work with SOCOM than it is to train a SEAL or Green Beret to "speak space" (several ARSOF members I've spoken with have made this point without being asked).

The second mission set would be special mission combat counter space. The ability to deploy USSF fires (electromagnetic warfare systems and counter control systems) worldwide for the kinds of operations JSOC currently undertakes does not exist- yet. We're getting there with hardware development but we lack the units which organize, train, equip, and deploy space operators to 'operate' against space systems. This is the mission set I'm most interested in.

The problem the USMC faces is that none of its tier 1 units would offer anything DEVGRU or CAG don't already provide, hence why I don't see a Marine SMU happening. But a Space Force SMU will happen in a few years or so.

I'm not sure what shape SPACESOC will take on day 1 but I'm extremely excited to see how things develop."

space force is trying to conjure the image that they're doing stargate adventures right here right now on earth when their actual job is staring at pixels and working up the courage to tell their boss that the ukrainians are lying again they didn't sink the black sea fleet ten times over yesterday

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

I always forget that the Coast Guard also has operators, that apparently have GWOT deployments.

the coast guard has fired more rounds in anger and performed more combat operations than the navy has in the last 30 years

they also have a more successful (read: extant) anti-submarine record

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree that any space ship military force should be a “navy”

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
spacecraft are just rockets, deal with them organizationally however your military deals with the rest of its rocket forces

or better yet don't bother because military conflict in space is exceedingly stupid

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
lmao what century do they think it is. space systems, terrestrial missions, space operators, sounds like loving Halo

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

rudecyrus posted:

lmao what century do they think it is. space systems, terrestrial missions, space operators, sounds like loving Halo
Do the suits jerk them off like in halo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the suit sucks him off it doesnt jerk him off, read the books

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
all right, I have loving had it up to here with this loving book

there are too many other things to read to put up with this bullshit

moving on!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cerebral Bore posted:

us space force space station 13

lol

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Good job boys, you sure earned you spurs, not to mention your chaps

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Not the asses though, just the chaps

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its like the us looked at imperial japan for inspiration and with typical american extravagance decided that instead of two branches of the military fighting tooth and nail to expand their respective fiefdoms they wanted six of them

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

gradenko_2000 posted:

moving on!

Praising Japanese aircraft production, of all things, is incomprehensible.

Also, it betrays a lack of understanding of the Luftwaffe. The tactical aircraft that were unsuited for the strategic bombing of Britain weren't obsolete, they were misused. Of course they would then be used in a theatre of operations that actually suited them, Russia. They were effective all the way through the end of the war in the east, because that's what they were designed for.

Considering how much of the Royal Navy He-111s and Stukas sunk in the Med all the way through 1944, it's perplexing to call them obsolete in 1941. That's without getting into their effectiveness in the Western Desert and Greece, Sicily etc.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I like that the numbers don’t even support his dumb conclusion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there's also this disingenuous sleight of hand the author does where he says "at one point the US was sending more aluminum to the USSR than they were giving to the US Navy" after having spent most of this chapter hammering the point that aircraft are made of aluminum and ships (at the time) are made of steel

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If Soviet aluminum production was such a bottleneck, it would have cratered Soviet aircraft production in 1942/early 1943 while lend lease was still fairly minimal when that is production accelerated the fastest.

It obviously helped etc etc, but their claim is basically nothing would have happened without Britain and the US.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBJGMI2ZWWI

efb

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 13:11 on May 7, 2024

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Writing a dissertation about how the Soviets would have lost at Kursk without those Churchill tanks.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I feel like there could be a reason why a country fighting a huge land war might design a fighter with shorter range than an island country fighting across a bunch of islands

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
The Soviets had those long range, high altitude aircraft in 1941, the MiG-3, but stopped producing them because it wasn't that kind of air war.

It's like how they received the P-47 through Lend-Lease and couldn't find much to do with them, other than hang out around Moscow.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

moving on!

So many of these books read like polemics any time they talk about Russia

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Regarde Aduck posted:

So many of these books read like polemics any time they talk about Russia

Praising Japanese industry to criticize the USSR gives the game away.

May 7, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXVLO9Dwa3o

Somebody has issued a correction as of 06:11 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/07/australia-us-aukus-submarine-deal-control-daniel-kritenbrink

Actually it's just better if Australia buys and pays to operate the subs but doesn't control them, we decided this