Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah but it seems silly to play it and then have to wait ages to get an actual ending. That's the conundrum I suppose

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah but it seems silly to play it and then have to wait ages to get an actual ending. That's the conundrum I suppose

You get to give them feedback on it. The publisher, Supergiant, is like Larian, Motion Twin, and a few other developers who are known for taking early access feedback seriously and shaping the end product based on it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I know dogg

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Well now is as good a time as any to post in a thread I've lurked in for years.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Rosalind posted:

Well now is as good a time as any to post in a thread I've lurked in for years.

happy to have ya

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can someone explain the 4-panel tweet?

(Also, hi Rosalind!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

(Also, hi Rosalind!)

She's wearing outfits from different nations in the first three seasons and then the final panel is the girlfriend she gets in the fourth season.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

muscles like this! posted:

She's wearing outfits from different nations in the first three seasons and then the final panel is the girlfriend she gets in the fourth season.

Ah! Nice, I smiled widely.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I never watched the show, no knowledge etc, so thanks for the explainer because being loss poisoned I was trying to figure out how it was loss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I never watched the show, no knowledge etc, so thanks for the explainer because being loss poisoned I was trying to figure out how it was loss.

It's a good show if you like action cartoons.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Air Skwirl posted:

idk, I like action cartoons just fine, but for some reason couldn't get into ctrl-alt-del

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s a Rosalind?

bout three pounds

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Visions of Valerie posted:

idk, I like action cartoons just fine, but for some reason couldn't get into ctrl-alt-del

they did the multiverse poo poo alright though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60JlM6ZXHc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Visions of Valerie posted:

Your loss

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

(Also, hi Rosalind!)

Very abstract loss edit

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JonTrevithick/status/1787457537354178730

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Air Skwirl posted:

I tried going straight into TLOK after ATLA and bounced off it after a few episodes cos the setting and characterisations were so different. Then I waited a couple years, tried again and I really enjoyed it once I managed to not bring over pre-existing expectations. So if anybody else is in my shoes there's a positive review on the second attempt

Toph becoming a cop is still mega bullshit though, as the meme goes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

• Season 1 starts strong ends badly and is weirdly lib-brained "oh there's no actual non-bending discrimination it's just a false flag operation, also we've elected a non-bending president, racism non-bending discrimination is over!"
  • Season 2 just sucks and reduces the Avatar and the Spirit World to a boring "good vs evil" fight.
  • Season 3 is great and Zaheer was right, his problem was that you can't just topple a power structure and go "job done" you have to have the alternatives in place already, something he couldn't do due to spending 15 years in prison
  • Season 4 is pretty good except for the weirdly sympathetic attitude towards Kuvira right at the end..

Gravitas Shortfall has a new favorite as of 09:34 on May 7, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

• Season 1 starts strong ends badly and is weirdly lib-brained "oh there's no actual non-bending discrimination it's just a false flag operation, also we've elected a non-bending president, racism non-bending discrimination is over!"
  • Season 2 just sucks and reduces the Avatar and the Spirit World to a boring "good vs evil" fight.
  • Season 3 is great Zaheer was right, his problem was that you can't just topple a power structure and go "job done" you have to have the alternatives in place already, something he couldn't do due to spending 15 years in prison
  • Season 4 is pretty good except for the weirdly sympathetic attitude towards Kuvira right at the end.

Actually they are all poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What show are you talking about anyway?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What show are you talking about anyway?

M*A*S*H

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Astute ideological vetting of the children's cartoon

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

i think its fair to notice or feel disappointed by FALSE CONSCIOUSNESS in any form of media but if someone forces themself to not enjoy it out of solidarity with (???) then i guess hey, you do you, but i dont feel obliged to come along for that weird ride

show was fun once i reduced expectations and stopped trying to compare to ATLA

e: sorry, for clarification, talking about M*A*S*H

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Actually children's cartoons need *more* vetting because children are stupid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh yeah hated that poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Beeswax posted:

Astute ideological vetting of the children's cartoon

they aimed it at an older audience, tried for actually interesting themes like "hey wouldn't there be a massive class divide if a section of the population can do literal magic", then somehow made it less complex than the previous, literally-aimed-at-children show, which, lol.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah the first couple of seasons of Korra are not nearly as good as ATLA but after that it does get good so I think it's worth pushing through.

Thread content:
https://twitter.com/brocklesnitch/status/1787678330906726815

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like there is a tendency nowadays to have antagonists that are somewhat or a little sympathetic. Often they come from oppressed classes or are champions of causes that are arguably quite heroic. Then the neoliberal writers panic that people won't find the protagonists heroic enough and so make the antagonists murder a ton of innocent people for no reason. Or another one is when the antagonists seem to be championing the cause of freedom for an oppressed group, only for them to reveal at the end that actually, they never gave a poo poo about the oppressed group and were just using them for personal gain.

I guess it's hard to write about a society that undergoes serious changes and it's easier to have the protagonists defend the status quo at all costs, but writers should have some courage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s tons of evil bastards in the world today that writers would imagine too cliché to put on the page.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Apparently some of the recent Star Wars spin-offs got a little too nuanced in their depictions of the rebels vs the empire because one of my coworkers said their kids started coming to some awkward conclusions about whether America were "the good guys".

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Apparently some of the recent Star Wars spin-offs got a little too nuanced in their depictions of the rebels vs the empire because one of my coworkers said their kids started coming to some awkward conclusions about whether America were "the good guys".

They should watch Dune: Part Two

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If the knight is still saying "ni" in the Japanese dub, does that mean that instead of a nonsense word it's "the knights who say 'two'"? I guess it probably doesn't make any meaningful difference.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wash bucket posted:

I forgot there were Americans in Star wars, but then I remembered Jabba the Hutt

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Tiggum posted:

If the knight is still saying "ni" in the Japanese dub, does that mean that instead of a nonsense word it's "the knights who say 'two'"? I guess it probably doesn't make any meaningful difference.

The Knights Who Say Nico Nico Nii

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I suppose English speakers might assume they're saying knee but in context it's clearly not supposed to mean anything so maybe Japanese viewers feel the same way

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

There’s tons of evil bastards in the world today that writers would imagine too cliché to put on the page.

That's because the neoliberal writers support and approve of the people doing actual evil in the world. That's why the villain randomly murders people, justifying their murder.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

• Season 3 is great and Zaheer was right, his problem was that you can't just topple a power structure and go "job done" you have to have the alternatives in place already, something he couldn't do due to spending 15 years in prison
  • Season 4 is pretty good except for the weirdly sympathetic attitude towards Kuvira right at the end..

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying here but I think for a show meant for tweens that aired on a major US cable network, the showrunners actually did a pretty good job. Also I think you're selling the message of season 2 short as it's a pretty strong critique of religious fundamentalism where the respected pillar of the community and religious leader turns out to be mad evil.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Actually, the problem with the show is that this is the only good anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnecnhS-Z4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Zaheer did nothing wrong