Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

No one will ride in and stop Israel no matter how much they disrespect their neighbors or state in no uncertain terms that they’re next. It’s loving bleak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBe93FMiJc&t=58s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

wow they sure showed that flag.

this whole thing screams of israel trying to find any propaganda victory to make their nazis feel good before they sign their own surrender

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas is now shelling the israelis who are approaching rafah

====

Al-Qassam: We bombed the enemy's penetrated forces east of the Rafah crossing

The Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades declared the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) to be bombed by the Israeli occupation forces, penetrated east of the Rafah crossing, with heavy-caliber mortar shells.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31604;&%231609;

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas informs the mediators that some of the 33 who are due to be releases as part of the first phase of the deal were killed by israeli bombardment, their remains will be released

==

New York Times: Hamas told negotiators hostages were not all alive

The New York Times for sources:

Hamas told negotiators 33 hostages to be released in Phase 1 are not all alive

Hamas told negotiators that remains of dead hostages would be among the first release

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

cummunism420 posted:

I saw some progressive rabbi make some long winded post about “what does it mean to be indigenous?” and instead of saying the answer: to be from somewhere, instead they went on about how to be indigenous is actually “a positionality in a system of power,”

This is half right, actually. Indigeneity is a mix of both: being from a certain place and having a particular socio-political position within a colonial/imperial structure which that place is governed by. Reducing the term to purely the former is why Israelis can spout nonsense about being indigenous because their ancestors lived in the Levant 2000 years ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's relativism. one easy trick to absolve yourself of obvious moral wrong doing is to destroy meaning and claim that value is totally subjective. this is not a new phenomenon, plato railed against the sophists who preached relativism, the theaetetus arguably pins all of athens other decadence and wrong doings on its societies adherence to relativism, especially among its lawyers

Funny how 'sophist' apparently originally just meant 'teacher' but became synonymous with bullshitters because of that. And y'know what that argument seems as good as any, it may be rewarding short term to justify anything you want and reap the rewards of blatant hypocrisy but you end up with a society that can't trust, believe in or value anything except personal gain.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hamas is now bombing israeli positions in Karam Abu salem

==

Al-Qassam: We bombed the enemy forces at the Karam Abu Salem military site

The Al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), said that it bombed with the short-range Rajom missile system in crowds of the occupation forces at the Karam Abu Salem military position, following their shelling of the occupying forces east of the Rafah crossing, with heavy-caliber mortar shells.

In turn, the Al-Jazeera correspondent said that the sirens are ringing in the area of Keram Abu Salem in the far south of the Gaza envelope.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

according to israeli sources Hamas's agreement to the ceasefire caught israel by surprise wich is why theyre desperately going after rafah

===:

Israeli officials: Hamas announcement to approve deal surprised government

Axios for 3 Israeli officials:

Hamas’s announcement of approval of the deal surprised the Israeli government.

Axios about an American official:

The Biden administration’s goal is to ensure that the initial 6-week ceasefire will become sustainable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it comes down to Bibi, it looked like he was getting trapped into having to take a deal and escalated as normal. I don't think the IDF is actually that excited about the operation, considering how past campaigns went. That said, the Biden administration is quite silent and honestly probably approved this, they want this thing "wrapped up" one way or another before the Cape of Good Hope becomes a serious issue.

Also, yeah, the Rafah crossing is in the south, and it is pretty much open desert between it and Israeli held positions. It is when they get to Rafah city when it gets really ugly.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it comes down to Bibi, it looked like he was getting trapped into having to take a deal and escalated as normal. I don't think the IDF is actually that excited about the operation, considering how past campaigns went. That said, the Biden administration is quite silent and honestly probably approved this, they want this thing "wrapped up" one way or another before the Cape of Good Hope becomes a serious issue.

Also, yeah, the Rafah crossing is in the south, and it is pretty much open desert between it and Israeli held positions. It is when they get to Rafah city when it gets really ugly.

part of me is wondering if this is a last minute bluff by the israelis to try and scare some concessions out of Hamas at the last second, but i guess we'll see, the reason why i think this is because strangely the negotiations are still happening and people are still sending envoys to finalize details

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

part of me is wondering if this is a last minute bluff by the israelis to try and scare some concessions out of Hamas at the last second, but i guess we'll see, the reason why i think this is because strangely the negotiations are still happening and people are still sending envoys to finalize details

Yeah we are going to have to see, it would fit Bibi's MO to sabotage any progress just to protect himself and/or possibly up the demands to something that Hamas finds completely unacceptable.

It is a good question also about Biden, if he gives the green light on Rafah city, does he not really think they is going to be a massive backlash? The administration has been extreme even for an American presidency and they do want an outcome that fits their interests, they want the Red Sea opened back up but the question becomes if complete ethnic cleansing is a part of it.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

"Smotrich in an ultimatum to Netanyahu: I'll handle the cost of living - after Rafah"

https://twitter.com/YediotAhronot/status/1787723607877075131?t=Z9QuuGDI16XzZ-luDPBimg&s=19

quote:

Against the backdrop of the poor treatment, according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, of the cost of living issue - his officials tried in recent days to schedule a meeting between him and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich to advance the treatment of economic matters. However, according to bureau officials, Smotrich "stalled" and rejected the attempts.

Netanyahu ordered to put pressure on him to address burning issues such as the spike in fuel prices, the rise in mortgages due to the increase of interest rates, and more. The one who tried to advance the meeting, among others, is the Prime Minister's economic advisor, Avi Simkhon. But according to political officials, Smotrich delayed the meeting with Netanyahu on the economic issue, in protest of Netanyahu's refusal to order significant action in Rafah. In one of the meetings, he slapped The Minister of Finance said that "first we need to enter Rafah and then take care of the fuel prices".

According to a source privy to the details, Smotrich is reluctant to deal with issues that are at the top of the Ministry of Finance's agenda. "The Minister of Finance must first of all function as the Minister of Finance and not neglect the issues in his area of ​​responsibility," said the source.

However, according to a source in the prime minister's bureau, after pressure was exerted by Netanyahu's officials, a meeting between the Prime Minister and the finance minister has been scheduled for tomorrow, but Netanyahu demands that it be on economic issues only.

Minister Smotrich's bureau stated: "The Minister of Finance is busy 24 hours a day managing the economy and the fight against the cost of living, and he and the Prime Minister work together excellently on a regular basis in all issues. Naturally, in recent days, and due to the critical point at which the war is and the vital national need for victory, the conversation between the Minister of Finance The prime minister was more concerned with the issue of the war and the finance minister's uncompromising demand from the Prime Minister to continue the war and enter Rafah immediately."

"Victory is an existential need, but also an economic need. Because without victory, there will be no security, and without security there will be no economy. The fight against the cost of living was and will remain one of the government's great challenges and the solution to it lies, mainly, in removing barriers and regulation, dismantling monopolies and opening the market to competition To this end, the Minister of Finance promoted the 'What's Good for Europe is Good for Israel' law, and established the committee to examine the concentration in the food market."

loving demon clown country I swear God

"I'll do my job and fix the economy by doing more neoliberalism, but only after you finish the genocide"

DTI

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey man do you mind doing some crimes for me dont worry i will pay out of pocket for bail and legal fees i swear

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Crimes? That's like my favorite thing!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

according to israeli sources Hamas's agreement to the ceasefire caught israel by surprise wich is why theyre desperately going after rafah

===:

Israeli officials: Hamas announcement to approve deal surprised government

Axios for 3 Israeli officials:

Hamas’s announcement of approval of the deal surprised the Israeli government.

Axios about an American official:

The Biden administration’s goal is to ensure that the initial 6-week ceasefire will become sustainable.

"We were surprised the enemy accepted a peace deal so we had to attack them" is so telling

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

So Israel drives tanks into Egyptian territory and I guess they’re cool with it.

looks like, not quite into Egyptian territory. If they don't leave soon, it's tearing up the camp david accords that demilitarize the Sinai though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Weka posted:

looks like, not quite into Egyptian territory. If they don't leave soon, it's tearing up the camp david accords that demilitarize the Sinai though.

egypt is a client state of israel and america israel can just take sinai again and they wont do anything.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

egypt is a client state of israel and america israel can just take sinai again and they wont do anything.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Since 1978*, the United States has provided Egypt with over $50 billion in military and $30 billion in economic assistance.

*It should actually read "Since the Camp Davis Accords in 1978, Egypt stopped supporting Arrafat's Palestinian Liberation Organization (and was suspended for doing so from the Arab League from 1979 to 1989),"

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 10:37 on May 7, 2024

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024
Everything good and hopeful always turns out to be fake news when it comes to this war and ongoing genocide.

Or rather, here's how ive emotionally murdered myself as a defensive measure against constantly having my hopes for a ceasefire exploded lol

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

No one will ride in and stop Israel no matter how much they disrespect their neighbors or state in no uncertain terms that they’re next. It’s loving bleak.

unless they want their cities nuked they won’t do squat. Israel absolutely would nuke any country that went to war with them in their territory.

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

There's nothing strange about trying to save face. Also, keeping up the pretense is a way of continuing to point out that the Israelis are the ones who walked away

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

JUST IN: 🇸🇦 Reports of Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman surviving an assassination attempt are false.

:toot:

quote:

MBS was not the target of an assassination attempt, this is fake news.

:confuoot:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the guy got close too i was rolling crits in warhammer thankfully he hit the datasheet cards i keep close to my heart which stopped the bullet

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah Richard Spencer

They fuckin'

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas informs the mediators that some of the 33 who are due to be releases as part of the first phase of the deal were killed by israeli bombardment, their remains will be released

==

New York Times: Hamas told negotiators hostages were not all alive

The New York Times for sources:

Hamas told negotiators 33 hostages to be released in Phase 1 are not all alive

Hamas told negotiators that remains of dead hostages would be among the first release

Guess the families of those dead hostages and all the liberal zionists are finally gonna stand up to Netanyahu and burn the country to the ground like they threatened, right?

Any day now...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

militarising the sinai can only lead to good things i assume

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Suspiciously vague about which parts of it are false.

butt pound foolish
Oct 27, 2020

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

America can pretend it won wars by declaring victory and going home because everyone in burger town is a far away idiot and the wars are abstract

Israel can’t really pull that same move with ease

Just curious how that tension will resolve in this ceasefire goes forward

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Woke up to see that Israel has seized the Rafah crossing. Not expecting any response from Egypt.

No matter how much of Gaza they destroy, no matter how many children they murder, Israel will lose.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Kopmala posted:

can you link the accounts you get the best info from? i can't ever find claims and stuff from the Palestinian side. i figure it's auto-deleted or some poo poo.

Middle East observer and war monitor are the two I check sometimes

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

Guess the families of those dead hostages and all the liberal zionists are finally gonna stand up to Netanyahu and burn the country to the ground like they threatened, right?

Any day now...

Oh no they'll just say Hamas killed them.

Which is by the way mindboggling on Reddit -- the hordes of posters coming out to say that Hamas killed all the hostages and raped them all and so on, even though Hamas already released a ton of women who said they weren't sexually abused, and we know for an absolute fact that the IDF shot 3 hostages screaming for help in Hebrew.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t Ghislaine Maxwell a Reddit mod

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Some news from my backwater Euro country, for what it's worth:

An activist emptied a bucket of artificial blood on the street before Vienna's main synagogue, when it was visited by Karoline Edtstadler, the minister for the EU&constitution (who is your typical, soulless, conservative careerist, also the conservative party is a direct successor of Dollfuß's Austrofascists). Immediately the mainstream new tried to spin it as an antisemitic attack. Then it turned out that the activist is jewish, had his Bar Mizvah at the same place 20 years ago and wanted to protest against the genocide. The media ofc never mentioned that.

Further:

After Prof. Helmut Kriegers event (hosting Francesca Albanese per video conference), that I mentioned a few pages ago, Oskar Deutsch - the president of the Israeli cultural community - threw a hissy fit and called Francesca Albanese a "notorious Israel demonizer and antisemite" and then went on to call Yanis Varoufakis a "glorifier of terrorism" on social media. Business as usual, very reasonable people...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The University of Vienna now also has a tent encampment of maybe 50 students, among their demands are an end to cooperations with armament manufacturers and with universities that support such links. No one has cracked down on them yet, although the university's administration is already trying to besmirch them as antisemites and Hamas sympathizers after someone painted (supposedly anitisemitic) slogans on a campus wall last weekend. I can't find a pic of the exact wording, past slogans were things like "Freedom for Palestine" and "Death to Zionism". Guess the uni admins got their playbook from the US, at least no jackboots so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Later today Emri Boehm will give a public speech at Vienna's Judenplatz during the Festival Weeks. The pro Zionists had a temper tantrum about it, cause Boehm uses the term "apartheid" in his works and Ariel Muzicant, the former president of the Israeli cultural community said "If I were 30 years younger, I would attend and throw eggs". I'm not familiar with Boehm, only took a glimpse at some articles and supposedly he's an Israel born philosopher who created a thesis about a federal state - but one country - solution.

Maybe someone who has read Boehm's works could enlighten me.

Hammerstein has issued a correction as of 13:53 on May 7, 2024

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

Yes let her post from prison imo

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Hamas agreed to a proposal that IS A loving CEASEFIRE. They even agreed to it not being a permanent one! What the gently caress!

"It seems that both sides are to blame equally" - some twitterbrained psycho

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

queen of the mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Hamas agreed to a proposal that IS A loving CEASEFIRE. They even agreed to it not being a permanent one! What the gently caress!

it essentially is a permanent one the core of it is anyway