Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HFR was a critical success but wasn't a gaas microtransaction-laden money printer so I imagine that it didn't do well enough in the one metric the execs care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Re: Redfall

https://twitter.com/playRedfall/status/1787837762588008903

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't value my own time at all when it comes to gaming lol, i'm happy to frivolously waste it if i'm having fun.

If the goal was to have fun and you are maximizing that output by being frivolous you are wasting nothing. :science:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Platinum Games have practically been only making CAGs, and despite making many of the best games in the genre they have been on the verge of bankruptcy for decades, surviving only on licensed and hired work.

I think that you simply can make any money in that genre.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

no one enjoyed that crap.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sininu posted:

So is games industry thread staying closed forever? It's been on a break for more than 5 months

a good call by forums staff, imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arkane died after core talent left after Prey. It's been a dead corpse walking since then.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

badass

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man even if Redfall was a poo poo game conceptually, never mind execution, that still sucks. What else did Austin develop? I always mix up Austin & Lyon

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sab669 posted:

Man even if Redfall was a poo poo game conceptually, never mind execution, that still sucks. What else did Austin develop? I always mix up Austin & Lyon

Prey 2017 and they did some assistance on Dishonored 1.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Prey 2017 and Deathloop

The studio that created Hi-Fi Rush deserved better

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Microsoft has no taste at all. they cant make anything great and ruin everything they touch

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

Sininu posted:

So is games industry thread staying closed forever? It's been on a break for more than 5 months

It would be nice to see it return, instead of discussions around the industry getting diffused into the PC, consoles, or monthly chat threads. I know it got rowdy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 'credit' Redfall people get better be an actual genuine value because poo poo game or no pulling the DLC rug out from people who paid for it is pretty crappy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wow cool loving Redfall really did kill the studio

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i cordially invite anyone that wants to talk about achra to join us in the roguelike thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kennel posted:

Not too surprised about Arkane, but didn't Hi-Fi Rush do quite well?
In the current climate of the games industry, it is either live service or bust

https://www.thegamer.com/hi-fi-rush-insider-claims-xbox-not-happy-with-sales-numbers/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But...it's a rhythm game. Its potential audience was always going to be limited. It's definitely good for what it is, but I myself wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't been interested in the aesthetics and characters. I would have assumed it performed quite well for a game in that genre.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Flair posted:

https://www.thegamer.com/hi-fi-rush-insider-claims-xbox-not-happy-with-sales-numbers/

Baldur's Gate 3, Zelda and Elden Ring say otherwise.

gently caress, I am now scared for Obsidian if Avowed doesn't sell megabucks.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Same issue as the movie industry - if it's not a massive, world shattering blockbuster hit that makes infinity money then it's dogshit garbage and everyone involved that isn't management gets fired

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The dishonored games + their DLC were a good run. I think they kind of shot their load and then they were pretty much done. Better as a memory than a game studio.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZearothK posted:

I keep forgetting that Avowed supposedly comes out this year

e; Pretty sure Lyon did all the Dishonored ones, based off people saying Austin was Prey+Deathloop

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The dishonored games + their DLC were a good run. I think they kind of shot their load and then they were pretty much done. Better as a memory than a game studio.

Arkane have made way more amazing games than just the Dishonored series. Arx Fatalis is a cult classic, though I never played it myself. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was superb. Specific for the shuttered Arkane Austin branch, they made Prey, which is absolutely fantastic. Deathloop supposedly isn't bad either.

Redfall was the only true failure from Arkane, and now they've eaten poo poo for it. It's loving sad.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 7, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I concur, everything Arkane made before Deathloop was pure gold. Even Arx Fatalis still totally holds up and is full of interesting ideas, some of which are still not really used anywhere.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Doesn’t Arkane Lyon still exist at least? I do not know which studio made which games.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flair posted:

As the update at the top of that article says, they countered those rumors and said it was a breakout hit

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1649431572137779203

Xbox Marketing VP posted:

Hi-Fi RUSH was a break out hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations. We couldn’t be happier with what the team at Tango Gameworks delivered with this surprise release.

Don't try to speculate on a rational reason for this closure, it's bullshit. By all metrics HFR was a success.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Unbelievably bad take

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Doesn’t Arkane Lyon still exist at least? I do not know which studio made which games.

They do but they're working on a Marvel game, which has traditionally been a fuckin' death knell for anyone not named Insomniac.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

lol get the gently caress outta here.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Humble Choice dropped:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Hi-Fi RUSH
Steelrising
Loddlenaut
King of the Castle
Bravery and Greed
Amanda the Adventurer
Mediterranea Inferno

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Koburn posted:

Humble Choice dropped:

Hi-Fi RUSH
Steelrising
Loddlenaut
King of the Castle
Bravery and Greed
Amanda the Adventurer
Mediterranea Inferno

Like a Dragon alone is worth it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/ArkaneStudios/status/1787837804287860886

Does the "Signup here" link 404 for anyone else? lmao

I didn't buy it, but I wanted to see if you could get slightly more details

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Unlucky7 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkane_Studios#Games_developed

According to this, Arkane Austin was just Prey and Redfall. Everything else has been Arkane Lyon or just Arkane before the split. So yeah let's hope Arkane Lyon doesn't succumb to the Marvel curse.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Also, yeesh, I came across this article from last June in my browser history while trying to find some other article: https://www.eurogamer.net/redfall-developer-arkane-currently-safe-microsoft-says

:(

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

https://twitter.com/ArkaneStudios/status/1787837804287860886

Does the "Signup here" link 404 for anyone else? lmao

I didn't buy it, but I wanted to see if you could get slightly more details

same here, but the mobile version is working:

REDFALL CREDIT
Our official statement regarding Redfall can be found here: https://twitter.com/playRedfall
We are working to finalize details for the Redfall credit program. This article will be updated as new information becomes available shortly.

No more details lol

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, and didn't Evil Within 1 & 2 and Ghostwire Tokyo also sell decently? Not blockbusters, but people seemed generally positive on their games and I've heard enough people talking that made me think they were moving sales.

[edit] and then there's the X-Box person saying it was a breakout hit. Yeah, this is 100% Gamepass not giving the returns investors expected and them cutting workers to massage their quarterly numbers. And also why not divest the studios instead of closing them down? loving ghouls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hard to believe it's been over a year since the hottest release of 2023.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Koburn posted:

Humble Choice dropped:

Hi-Fi RUSH
Steelrising
Loddlenaut
King of the Castle
Bravery and Greed
Amanda the Adventurer
Mediterranea Inferno

Pretty good stuff in there, provided you dont have gamepass and have played them all.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ZearothK posted:

I think its gonna do well. The people are always gonna be hungry for the next open world skyrim type rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human of smells
Aug 25, 2023
Starfield killed tango.