Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, I'm shocked the person named after a dirt bike and with one as their avatar doesn't know the rules of the road.

the rules of the road vary wildly by location and everywhere I have lived by law allows for safely crossing the double yellow to get around things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it is.

It’s legal to cross a double yellow to make a turn, but not to pass.

like all good traffic laws in the US it differs in state and municipality. state law here was amended a while back to explicitly allow passing over a double yellow line to get around bikes or pedestrians

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean the other other alternative is that you just shouldn't try to overtake a cyclist at all if it's a two-lane road

the guys going 70 in their trucks on the two lane county roads with a 45 mph speed limit will disagree and then aggressively tailgate while you're going 25 waiting for the right moment to pass a cyclist and then blow around you anyway :shepface:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
45 mph is already way too fast. the speed limit should be lowered for safety and to punish those who choose to purchase and ruin rural land

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

500excf type r posted:

lol its not illegal to cross the double yellow while going around a cyclist you fuckin shut ins

depends on what state you're in

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s legal to cross a double yellow to make a turn, but not to pass.

This varies by state in the US and makes it extra awesome that some states don't bother to give even the simplest written test for out-of-state license transfers. Or provide any public education when the law changes.

Anyway, it's legal to cross a double yellow to pass a person riding a bike in Colorado, but it's on the driver to confirm there's no oncoming traffic. Drivers don't often know this, though, since there is no reason for any of them to learn anything, ever.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm pretty sure that in Virginia its legal to u-turn from the left turn late, but you have to know that while you're doing it you're required to yield to drivers who are making a right turn on red. Like they have a red light, you have a green, but they have right of way. Lived there for 5 years never fully figured it out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Right turn on red should be destroyed

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't actually know anything about driving on account of not submitting to government tyranny (licensing), but it seems like the point of double yellow lines is to signal that the current stretch of road has bad visibility or other factors which makes crossing into the opposing lane dangerous for the driver (and oncoming traffic).

Speaking of licenses, my co-worker told me the other day that he didn't get his driver's license for a while after turning 18, because he was already driving anyway. That's really fun to think about. I'm pretty sure he realises that it was not a good thing though. Also he went on to complain about drivers who are on their phones, so at least he's not that kind of insane

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BonHair posted:

I don't actually know anything about driving on account of not submitting to government tyranny (licensing), but it seems like the point of double yellow lines is to signal that the current stretch of road has bad visibility or other factors which makes crossing into the opposing lane dangerous for the driver (and oncoming traffic).

The entire American mindset with regard to driving and signage is that these signs are placed by petty bureaucrats who are trying to maximize fine revenue instead of maximizing safety. Like, there's a section of road south of here where people hit deer every week during mating season, it's heavily signed telling people about the deer, and the signs might as well not exist.

There's a notorious suburban commuter highway here that's got extremely tight lanes with no way to widen them and those sections are signed for 45mph. People do 65+ there (there's a crash every day) and complain that the speed limits should be raised "because people are going faster anyway." If that section were resigned for 60mph people would absolutely do 80mph.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol i was driving back from the grocery store today (normally i walk or cycle but i had to get some large/bulky objects) and even a half mile trip, i saw some poo poo. at a two way stop, someone went through the intersection and almost caused a wreck but the other driver slammed on their brakes at the last minute. person backed their car up to allow the car with right of way through, then rolled right through the intersection causing another oncoming driver to slam on their breaks to avoid a collision. like how the gently caress do you not pay attention!

also later on i was sitting at a two way stop and an oncoming driver also stopped at the intersection and tried to wave me through. wtf just follow the rules of the road, you aren't being nice by behaving unpredictably. people do this when im on my bike or walking too and it's infuriating. especially on busy two way roads, like how the gently caress am i supposed to go when traffic going the other way doesn't and shouldn't stop. just go! i will wait for a gap.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

also later on i was sitting at a two way stop and an oncoming driver also stopped at the intersection and tried to wave me through. wtf just follow the rules of the road, you aren't being nice by behaving unpredictably. people do this when im on my bike or walking too and it's infuriating. especially on busy two way roads, like how the gently caress am i supposed to go when traffic going the other way doesn't and shouldn't stop. just go! i will wait for a gap.

preach, brother

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lobster shirt posted:

This is such a pet peeve of mine. I stop at stop signs and poo poo when I'm biking and people will wave me through a 4-way stop or whatever even if it means I end up in front of them and now they have to pass me. Sometimes I'll be turning out of a driveway and a person will stop in the middle of the road to wave me in front of them, no other cars anywhere in sight.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Work has brought me to New Orleans for a few days and holy poo poo I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a worse driving culture. I almost got plastered by a loving city bus making a right on red on a posted no right on red intersection where I had a cross walk signal. Then less than twenty minutes later a bro-dozer cuts through a red light to make a loving left turn onto a one way street in the wrong direction weaving around crossing pedestrians honking at us

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my favorite is how Americans do not understand how traffic circles with yield signs work

half the people stop entirely and wait for other people not in the circle yet to go by them and half blow through without slowing down at all

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

my bony fealty posted:

my favorite is how Americans do not understand how traffic circles with yield signs work

half the people stop entirely and wait for other people not in the circle yet to go by them and half blow through without slowing down at all

Traffic circles don’t have yield signs.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

plenty of them do in the US

Those are roundabouts.

Clark Nova posted:

lol I've encountered a few roundabouts in the US that have 4-way stop signs

Those are traffic circles.

Some even have traffic lights.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 20:13 on May 7, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

plenty of them do in the US

e: v the largest one in Buffalo that I can think of has stops at all entrances, most of them have yields instead

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I've encountered a few roundabouts in the US that have 4-way stop signs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

Those are roundabouts.

This is your post?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Mauser posted:

I'm fine with cars crossing double yellow to pass a cyclist or a parked car or whatever, but they gotta be able to see oncoming traffic obviously. Better than the alternative which happened to my wife where a driver thought they could squeeze by in the same lane as her on her bike

If I ride to the side, the driver is going to risk my life to pass.

If I ride in the middle, the driver is going to risk both of our lives to pass.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

shut up bitch

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yielding is bad, you must never yield to anything ever, it shows weakness

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Microplastics posted:

this you?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Microplastics posted:

Avoid yielding by going faster

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Salt Fish posted:

I'm pretty sure that in Virginia its legal to u-turn from the left turn late, but you have to know that while you're doing it you're required to yield to drivers who are making a right turn on red. Like they have a red light, you have a green, but they have right of way. Lived there for 5 years never fully figured it out.

in washington its the other way around op, right on red has to yield to u-turn

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Honestly neither right-on-red or U-turns should be legal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Once Grok AI finishes training on X the Everything App data it will be able to drive your car with FSD technology so accurately that we won't even need traffic lights.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LauraGMitchell/status/1787508902969381233?t=aYouXI5yvbyKABcUTFjWxw&s=19

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

My solution to this is to slap the hood or back of the car really loudly.

Probably doesn't stop them from doing it again, but it does piss them off and make me feel better.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

Probably doesn't stop them from doing it again, but it does piss them off and make me feel better.

when I was younger had a roid rage guy get out of his car and try to fight me when I did this (he had almost hit me when I was walking through a parking lot lol)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ham Equity posted:

I'm too afraid of getting shot to do this. That's pretty ballsy.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

when I was younger had a roid rage guy get out of his car and try to fight me when I did this (he had almost hit me when I was walking through a parking lot lol)

That's your chance to get a free car.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That dude is 100% on his phone too lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm too afraid of getting shot to do this. That's pretty ballsy.

The thought has crossed my mind, but then I look at the carcentric world I'm stuck living in, and figure maybe that's not so bad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Roid rage is a myth, but yeah I've experienced this too. As a child, getting off the streetcar, once or twice I'd give a gentle tap to the bumper of a car that had barely stopped for the opening streetcar doors, and the idiot at the wheel would often threaten me or even get out of the car to menace me over it.

More recently when I slapped that guy's mirror for almost running me over in an intersection, yeah he got out for sure and caused a big commotion in the intersection and then followed me for a block and got out to menace me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that's not even roid rage, that's just car-owner rage

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

That dude is 100% on his phone too lol

normies instinctively understand driving loving sucks so they do whatever they can to distract themselves (phone, radio, daydreaming, etc) but will get very angry at you if you point out that it sucks so bad that it would be much better if we had fewer drivers on the road. like, say, one driver per 40 passengers

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

normies instinctively understand driving loving sucks so they do whatever they can to distract themselves (phone, radio, daydreaming, etc) but will get very angry at you if you point out that it sucks so bad that it would be much better if we had fewer drivers on the road. like, say, one driver per 40 passengers

That doesn't sound right. You can't just go from like 1.1 average passengers per car to 40 in one jump

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

What if we told the 40 people to pitch in a dollar or two for gas?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Roid rage is a myth

hit dogs holler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have seen so much road rage that lmao at it being a myth