Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

no duh biden is already forgetting about what happened months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...sh-communities/
ah here we go, details!

The first item on the list is a letter that came out from DoE. It's basically a laundry list of hypothetical situations that would trigger an investigation by the Office of Civil Rights. Those include:

• A Jewish student harassed with swastika graffiti on a board in their dorm.
  • An Arab Muslim elementary school student harassed for wearing a hijab or not wearing loose clothing.
  • In Israeli filmmaker's film screening about life in Israel blocked by protestors for spreading propaganda, and later protestors barring Jewish students from entering the offices of the school organization who invited the filmmaker, with swastika graffiti put on the building.
  • Jewish college students targeted by antisemitic graffiti; Jewish students harassed for wearing religious iconography; faculty and staff with Jewish-sounding names having pro-Palestinian messages graffitied on their campus mailboxes; protest signs listing specific Jewish students by name; calling Jewish students in general Nazis or barring them from entering buildings or chanting protest slogans at anyone wearing a kippah and telling them they aren't welcome; and that all the above happens and the school staff does nothing to stop the harassment.
  • A Muslim middle schooler who is harassed for following dietary restrictions or having family with Saudi accents and dress, who suffers in school. The harassers apologize but the administration doesn't create any systems for monitoring harassment or determining whether there is a broader culture of harassment. Also the harassment doesn't actually stop.
  • An Israeli college student alleges a professor said during office hours that "Israelis don't even deserve to live" and the university didn't speak to any students who complained about the harassment.
  • An Arab student group is harassed by other students and called "terrorists" or "jihad supporters". The university does nothing to address the situation.
  • A diverse Gaza solidarity protest of 100 students is harassed and attacked by counter-protestors and the administration response is "we support peacful protest on campus but we condemn all violence" but that the counter-protestors aren't students so they can't do anything.
  • A world history class teacher in high school singles out a Jewish student to explain the Israel-Hamas conflict, then assigns that student essay homework with the topic of "why Israel should be condemned" when they don't want to speak up in class.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/colleague-202405-shared-ancestry.pdf

They're trying to thread a very narrow needle here. Basically the whole letter is aiming for "You're allowed to say whatever you want about the actions of a country but you're not allowed to let that change how you treat an individual person." That alone seems fine to me, and the way they've constructed the examples, it's clear to see how the described behavior is inappropriate. One or two things stand out to me though. I'm pretty sure they slipped an oblique reference to "from the river to the sea" sloganeering into Example 4. Also there's this bit in Section 2 near the end:

quote:

For example, if a professor teaching a class on international politics references or criticizes the government of Israel’s treatment of non-Jewish people,34 the nation of Saudi Arabia’s response to religious extremism, or the government of India’s promotion of Hinduism, so long as such comments do not target Israeli, Jewish, Saudi, Arab, or Indian students based on race, color, or national origin, that would not likely implicate Title VI.

Specifically, "would not likely implicate Title VI". Given everything else they've laid out in the document, this seems like a super straightforward example of permissible conduct. So why "not likely"? Maybe it's just hedging their bets?

I also have some misgivings about how useful this will even be as guidance. The examples they give are obviously inappropriate behavior but the situations in real life are going to be a lot more complex. I worry that these examples will be used as justification to crack down on protests that, if investigated, should be found completely permissible by these standards (yes, I know that's the real point of this).

The other items that are newly announced today are:
  • The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will work with interagency partners to build an online campus safety resources guide and landing page to provide the range of financial, educational, and technical assistance to campuses in one, easy-to-use website.
  • DHS will develop and share best practices for community-based targeted violence and terrorism prevention to reduce these assaults and attacks. Federal agencies will elevate ongoing efforts to address the fear felt in targeted communities and ensure that resources are widely known among communities that need them.
  • The Office of the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Antisemitism at the Department of State will convene technology firms to identify best practices to address Antisemitic content online. Departments and agencies will continue to provide technology companies with relevant information about symbols and themes associated with violent extremism online to help them enforce their terms of service.

hey uh. why the gently caress is DHS involved in any of this?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/therecount/status/1787879399796130083

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That proposal is written broadly enough to give Zionists a green light to ratfuck anyone as long as they run to the authorities crying about "antisemitism".

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

lol that they're still trying to run with this

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Saying this on the day that the IDF seized the Rafah crossing is psychotic

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Lmao accidentally stumbling on the correct position. I love when liberals do this.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The only time the old bastard seems halfway alive is when he's loving someone over; in this case, peaceful pro-Palestine protestors that he falsely accuses, without evidence, of "antisemitism", and Palestinians themselves, who he didn't bother to even mention in this speech.

Looking forward to him eating a lot of poo poo in November.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Oldest Man posted:

Democracy is when you get to vote but the actual policies implemented are statistically uncorrelated with your preferences regardless of who you vote for

oh sorry that's a minimalist interpretation

Democracy also should include guarantees of human rights that exist only while being used as cudgels against state enemies and conveniently stop existing otherwise, and guarantees of civil liberties that exist to enable fascists and stop existing nanoseconds before a police baton impacts a student's head

Vim Fuego posted:

I hate democracy!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

Saying this on the day that the IDF seized the Rafah crossing is psychotic

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only time the old bastard seems halfway alive is when he's loving someone over; in this case, peaceful pro-Palestine protestors that he falsely accuses, without evidence, of "antisemitism", and Palestinians themselves, who he didn't bother to even mention in this speech.

Looking forward to him eating a lot of poo poo in November.

Its not enough that he loses, I need him and his supporters to suffer consequences

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

I lack the vocabulary to properly express how much I hate joe biden

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

loquacius posted:

Pol Pot sits securely in the "I've never actually met anyone who says he was good but I'm pretty sure all my enemies secretly think so" camp

Well yeah, he was a CIA asset after all.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I swear that image is old enough to buy alcohol.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
800 people largely killed by the idf, 6,000,000 killed by the nazis

these are the same says joe biden

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jon Carbuncle posted:

I lack the vocabulary to properly express how much I hate joe biden

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

c-span's covering it; it's just starting:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?535368-1/president-biden-condemn-antisemitism-holocaust-remembrance-ceremony

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Pol Pot sits securely in the "I've never actually met anyone who says he was good but I'm pretty sure all my enemies secretly think so" camp

I've only seen Larouchites on twitter claim him but their whole thing is being a parody of what libs think communists are anyway, so it checks out

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

I’d rather watch noem provide dog training advice

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

wait, was I watching a tape? lol.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Yeah I support BDS, Biden Derangement Syndrome.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/CarlBeijer/status/1787868920398987706

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Yeah I support BDS, Biden Derangement Syndrome.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"brutally raped... mutilated... sexually assaulted"

he's not even ad-libbing rn; he's reading off a prompter. Who wrote this bullshit?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the dumb bitch really thinks he can change public opinion with these same tired tropes that we've heard for 7 months

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol she's in the replies whining

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

all that was missing from his speech were the 40 beheaded babies.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

He got sick and died. Maybe his parents shouldnt have named him sick nick id they didn’t want little nick to get sick and die

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Willa Rogers posted:

"brutally raped... mutilated... sexually assaulted"

he's not even ad-libbing rn; he's reading off a prompter. Who wrote this bullshit?

Sounds like a Ducklo, or maybe Bates

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the hamas rape stuff was even more thoroughly debunked than the 40 babies

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

the hamas rape stuff was even more thoroughly debunked than the 40 babies

yeah, but if you add "mutilated" as well as "sexually assaulted" it holds more weight that way.

and repetition almost always trumps truth when people need to believe the lie.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
need a daniel dale fact check, stat

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I heard Hamas dropped fifty thousand tons of bombs on civilians and cut off food to an ethnic enclave

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

yeah, but if you add "mutilated" as well as "sexually assaulted" it holds more weight that way.

and repetition almost always trumps truth when people need to believe the lie.

he's more of a zionist freak than the average loser zionist in israel

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

drat, is this guy saying accusations of sexual assault are enough to dissuade any kind of support? interesting.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FudgeSmith000/status/1787297600426676260

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HotSpotHotSpot/status/1787819729903583455?t=U1AdrCuzL4nAJRp3Nqyt7Q&s=19

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
"ghetto kids learn to code!"

i love that neoliberal horseshit. "addressing societal challenges." :jerkbag:

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 18:26 on May 7, 2024

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Every time someone drags out the "actually they support Palestine because they hate the USA" it makes the target of that line of attack just seem cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

SixteenShells posted:

hey uh. why the gently caress is DHS involved in any of this?

easier to punish international students