Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Seems like the odds would be better if he tried to become a professional sports (football, baseball etc) player.
How many people actually make their living as a tournament fisherman

It's exactly like racing, to make a small fortune in tournament fishing you start with a large one.

My son and I entered a Barracuda tournament in the Keys, it wasn't cheap but we had lots of fun and plan on doing it again. I can't imagine doing it for a living tho, the major tournaments down here like King of the Beach (Kingfish) are for big money and it's mostly a bunch of rich dudes in their million dollar fishing boats drinking beer trying to catch the biggest Kingfish.

I don't know how much it costs to enter and run in Bass tournaments but it can't be affordable by any stretch of the imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's exactly like racing, to make a small fortune in tournament fishing you start with a large one.

My son and I entered a Barracuda tournament in the Keys, it wasn't cheap but we had lots of fun and plan on doing it again. I can't imagine doing it for a living tho, the major tournaments down here like King of the Beach (Kingfish) are for big money and it's mostly a bunch of rich dudes in their million dollar fishing boats drinking beer trying to catch the biggest Kingfish.

I don't know how much it costs to enter and run in Bass tournaments but it can't be affordable by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh yeah I'm sure it costs mega bucks to even be competitive in a bass tournament. The bass boats alone cost a ton of money and then gas is expensive as hell and all the gizmos like GPS and trolling motors etc.

Or you can just spend a few bucks on lead weights and shove them down the throat of whatever fish you catch to easily win the tournament!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Was it this thread that I read about that "basscar" fisherman that made an entire career about cheating in tournaments, had fish tanks full of fish he would then "catch" and was like threatening little kids?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

wesleywillis posted:

Was it this thread that I read about that "basscar" fisherman that made an entire career about cheating in tournaments, had fish tanks full of fish he would then "catch" and was like threatening little kids?

I can't remember the name but yeah, this guy existed.

Mike Long.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 7, 2024

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Speaking of bass tournaments, I remember that it seems like people would haul in their catch to a weigh station and that's how they would determine who the winner was. But what do they do with the bass afterwards? I don't think anyone was eating them. Largemouth are probably the most popular gamefish in America but I don't think they are high on the list of fish that people like to eat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Speaking of bass tournaments, I remember that it seems like people would haul in their catch to a weigh station and that's how they would determine who the winner was. But what do they do with the bass afterwards? I don't think anyone was eating them. Largemouth are probably the most popular gamefish in America but I don't think they are high on the list of fish that people like to eat.

They release them. A lot of them die. Its why big tournaments have moved to a weigh and release method (some of them anyway).

Boomers and idiots still demand weigh ins despite that fact its kills a bunch of fish because they are loving idiots.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sickening posted:

They release them. A lot of them die. Its why big tournaments have moved to a weigh and release method (some of them anyway).

Boomers and idiots still demand weigh ins despite that fact its kills a bunch of fish because they are loving idiots.

We did pic and release with the Barracuda, just lay them out on a measuring mat supplied by the organizers and take a pic it's easy. And if it goes by weight for bass, just weigh them and release them, and just have officials do it for the big tournaments.

We've come a long way in Florida for salt water fish, Tarpon and Bonefish used to be killed for no reason back in the day in tournaments (cuz no one eats them) but it's a HUGE no no now, you can't even take them out of the water on to your boat or you'll get fined and ridiculed for doing so.

The Bass thing is just about the TV aspect I think, they want viewers and want to make a big deal of it it's ridiculous but it makes them money I guess so I doubt anything will change

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We did pic and release with the Barracuda, just lay them out on a measuring mat supplied by the organizers and take a pic it's easy. And if it goes by weight for bass, just weigh them and release them, and just have officials do it for the big tournaments.

We've come a long way in Florida for salt water fish, Tarpon and Bonefish used to be killed for no reason back in the day in tournaments (cuz no one eats them) but it's a HUGE no no now, you can't even take them out of the water on to your boat or you'll get fined and ridiculed for doing so.

The Bass thing is just about the TV aspect I think, they want viewers and want to make a big deal of it it's ridiculous but it makes them money I guess so I doubt anything will change

The bass stuff is just dumb. There were legit issues with the best 5 vs combined catch scoring. All you can catch scoring benefits catching a ton of 2-3 pound fish and isn't very exciting.

Getting on a stage and holding fish isn't very exciting either and is just boomer poo poo.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Sickening posted:

I can't remember the name but yeah, this guy existed.

Mike Long.

Looks like the original site is down, but archive.org has the whole story:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221027004053/https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

kayak bass tournaments being catch photo release owns

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

kayak bass tournaments being catch photo release owns

Its neat. They also have their fair share of cheaters. Someone cut off a tail of a bass and used in his pictures to make all his fish longer. Also a guy was caught curving his board in the pictures to make them measure longer.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Sickening posted:

Its neat. They also have their fair share of cheaters. Someone cut off a tail of a bass and used in his pictures to make all his fish longer. Also a guy was caught curving his board in the pictures to make them measure longer.

i knew about boards curving (apparently this is why hawg troughs stopped being a standard measuring board) but the tail thing is wild

if you would cheat in a piddly kayak tournament you are an unimaginably pathetic dweeb anyway

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Does largemouth bass taste different than small mouth? Fresh caught small mouth is one of my favorite fish to eat.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

trevorreznik posted:

Does largemouth bass taste different than small mouth? Fresh caught small mouth is one of my favorite fish to eat.

Largemouth has a softer texture and can taste a bit lake-y if caught in really warm water, but it's perfectly fine. If I'm going to eat a black bass I prefer spots and smallies, though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'll eat largemouth sometimes if i need some bulk to round out a panfish catch.

Bleeding them quickly and keeping them as cool as possible goes a long way towards improving the taste and texture. If you're going to batter and fry everything anyway then a few bass chunks amidst your panfish filets are hardly noticeable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

titties posted:

I'll eat largemouth sometimes if i need some bulk to round out a panfish catch.

Bleeding them quickly and keeping them as cool as possible goes a long way towards improving the taste and texture. If you're going to batter and fry everything anyway then a few bass chunks amidst your panfish filets are hardly noticeable.

Honestly cutting gills and throwing them in an ice chest improves almost all bass species. Its a cheat code for white bass that greatly improves it. Stripes as well but its def the worst of the bass variants.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'll eat just about any fish but largemouth is one that always makes me say "why did I keep that?" Last time I smoked it and it was still a little pondy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can't eat any freshwater fish after eating saltwater fish for so long lol.

Any kind of Snapper (Red, Mangrove, Hog) is just so good nothing comes close and when you're used to eating that everything else is just eh.

Grouper is overrated :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I can't eat any freshwater fish after eating saltwater fish for so long lol.

Any kind of Snapper (Red, Mangrove, Hog) is just so good nothing comes close and when you're used to eating that everything else is just eh.

Grouper is overrated :v:

I am not saying salt water fish aren't delicious, but walleye and crappie are amazing. I think walleye fried up golden brown is really hard to beat.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Perch are pretty good

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Honestly I find smallies and pike to be almost as good as walleye.. but I fish in colder water in northern Ontario. Also, brook trout is a whole other thing. Mmmmmmmm

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've still never had smallies but pike absolutely taste great. If you're frying fillets you kinda need a bigger one to make it worthwhile given the y-bones you need to cut out. i probably wouldn't keep one under maybe 22" unless i was cooking it in a way i can pull the bones out after

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm one of those weirdos that never keeps a fish no matter how big it is. I fish for the fight. Apparently I'm in kind of a minority?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I'm one of those weirdos that never keeps a fish no matter how big it is. I fish for the fight. Apparently I'm in kind of a minority?

Nothing wrong with not keeping them. I know people who fish who don't like the taste of fish.

I also have been around people who snag paddlefish and keep them despite the fact they probably aren't going to end up eating them and if they do that it will taste like poo poo.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

i pretty much only catch and release fish for bass

my neighbor got like all the newest tech put on his little bass tracker - spot lock, mega 360, livescope, etc. couple of weeks ago he paid a local bass guide to teach him how to use it in our lake. they kind of sat at about 20-30 feet deep and found suspended bass, pulled up a couple of eight pounders doing that. i knew the bass did this when it warms up - there are dropoffs and stuff they hang on, i just don't have any electronics on my kayak to really nail in where they are.

this week my brother got a used bay boat that the previous owner decked out with a fish finder, spot lock trolling motor, power poles, etc. we put it in yesterday and mapped out the lake with the fish finder and figured out a couple of locations where they seemed to congregate to on the sonar. i went to the bait shop and got stuff for drop shotting and carolina rigging today and managed to get a couple of bass on the drop shot fishing completely blind just from yesterday's fish finder recon.

i gotta get a fish finder, being able to find structure and locate fish that hang out deep is huge.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

i mean, america is loaded with bass fishermen, none of whom keep any fish at all most of the time. now, if you're talking coastal saltwater fishing, yeah you're crazy. most salt fish taste better than most freshwater fish. i wish i could get to the coasts to fish more, but alas... minnesota

goddamn look at these sheepshead fillets i grilled last time i fished in florida, cmon man

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

gay picnic defence posted:

Perch are pretty good

gently caress yeah. Perch and walleye.

I guess they're pretty similar so they both taste good. Never tried sauger though. They're related to walters

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hooplah posted:

i mean, america is loaded with bass fishermen, none of whom keep any fish at all most of the time. now, if you're talking coastal saltwater fishing, yeah you're crazy. most salt fish taste better than most freshwater fish. i wish i could get to the coasts to fish more, but alas... minnesota

goddamn look at these sheepshead fillets i grilled last time i fished in florida, cmon man

I am indeed crazy. I regularly catch fluke (flounder) of keeper size in the Atlantic and always toss them back. They are tasty as hell but A: I'm lazy. Too lazy to clean them. And B: I don't think the fluke numbers are anything like they were decades ago so I want to do my part to at least not make it worse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I am indeed crazy. I regularly catch fluke (flounder) of keeper size in the Atlantic and always toss them back. They are tasty as hell but A: I'm lazy. Too lazy to clean them. And B: I don't think the fluke numbers are anything like they were decades ago so I want to do my part to at least not make it worse.

The commercial fishing is the problem and these states loving over the anglers who account for single digit % of the total catch seems like poo poo. The fact that some states close the season for the weekend fishermen while the commercial folks keep going is loving nuts.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

so i'm seriously looking into fish finders for the kayak now. i've got a center pod that goes through the hull that i can rig up a self-contained system that holds the fish finder, battery, and transducer on the pod. or i could have the fish finder next to me on a rail and have wires going to the center pod for the battery/transducer, haven't decided yet.

i printed out some templates and went out and messed with them just now - 5 inches is really too small to see what's going on the screen if it's on the center pod and barely big enough if it's right next to me, and 9 inches would get in the way if it were mounted next to me and is wide enough it'd hit where my feet go if it was mounted on the pod. 7 inches seems like the goldilocks number

it looks like i can get 7 inch fish finders with sidescan from the big 3 in the 500 to 600 range, and just sonar/downscan/mapping for about 400 bucks. i think i'm willing to pay the 100 buck upcharge for sidescan, i wanna get an idea of cover to the side of the kayak in shallower water.

looking around online i can get a garmin striker vivid 7 for 520, a humminbird helix 7 for 550, or a lowrance eagle 7 for 600. i haven't like done a serious deep dive on feature sets or anything like that yet, but anyone got any hot fish finder opinions to share?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Freshwater drum is actually pretty good too. They make a huge filet of uniform thickness. I'd carefully pull out the red meat and get them shallow frying really fast. Haven't done it in a while but I remember the flesh being similar to a marine fish, just a little chewy but not unpleasantly so.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

For sidescan, hummingbird is just the best there currently is. So if you are spending that money, put it there. Saying that, i find that sidescan is best used find fish when you are traveling around. If you don't have much water to cover like in a pond, its fine but has big diminishing returns.

Old school 2d sonar from any company is fine and good at what it does, telling you if fish are below you and what depth. A lot of affordable options.

I highly suggest watching some youtube videos from people explaining the pros and cons.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Sickening posted:

For sidescan, hummingbird is just the best there currently is. So if you are spending that money, put it there. Saying that, i find that sidescan is best used find fish when you are traveling around. If you don't have much water to cover like in a pond, its fine but has big diminishing returns.

Old school 2d sonar from any company is fine and good at what it does, telling you if fish are below you and what depth. A lot of affordable options.

I highly suggest watching some youtube videos from people explaining the pros and cons.

i'd heard humminbird has the best sidescan right now with mega and i'd seen some youtube videos that bear that out, but now that i'm digging into spec sheets i'm gunshy on it - it's like an inch and a half wider, which i'm pretty certain is going to make a difference in how annoying it will be to fish around in the kayak, and their mega units costs 200 bucks more than lowrance or garmin units that do 800khz down/side scan.

i'm with you on the youtube thing, also want to mess with them in person.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I do more boat fishing than kayak fishing these days, so side scan is just what i have up when i am cruising around slowly looking around. Its nice to find trees and other structure you can't see under water that you can set a bookmark for to come back later. I mostly use it to find schooling fish while I am moving around as its easy to spot.

But once I stop, the side imaging becomes not very useful and its all 2d or forward facing sonar that help anything.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah i mostly want three things:
- mapping and generated contour maps because a couple of the lakes i fish don't have public launches and are in the boonies
- sidescan to find underwater structure
- sonar/downscan for finding fish that go deep in summer

from about october to march i do fine with zero electronics just grass fishing, it's the dog days of summer when they run deep in the local lakes that i start having more issues

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Freshwater drum is actually pretty good too. They make a huge filet of uniform thickness. I'd carefully pull out the red meat and get them shallow frying really fast. Haven't done it in a while but I remember the flesh being similar to a marine fish, just a little chewy but not unpleasantly so.

That’s right. It actually holds up on a grill, unlike most every other freshwater fish.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sickening posted:

I am not saying salt water fish aren't delicious, but walleye and crappie are amazing. I think walleye fried up golden brown is really hard to beat.

I remember having walleye as a kid and liking it, but everything else not so much. Last time I had freshwater fish was rainbow trout and it was not good lol, super fishy.

I really like smoked salmon too, but that's more of a saltwater fish right? Or is it considered fresh water? Or both I don't know :v:

Charliegrs posted:

We don't keep any of the fish we catch because we fish mostly inshore species that we don't eat. The fish I like to eat are caught miles offshore that my little skiff can't get to, so I usually hit up the local fish markets for snapper. We've been kicking around the idea to get some people together to hire a captain to go out and load up on snapper and freeze it, it would be worth splitting the cost with about six to eight people otherwise it's too expensive.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Another reason I'm a bit wary of eating fish is I'm super paranoid about mercury. Like I'm pretty sure I have enough of it already in my system I don't want to make it any worse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Another reason I'm a bit wary of eating fish is I'm super paranoid about mercury. Like I'm pretty sure I have enough of it already in my system I don't want to make it any worse.

That's only with certain species like tuna and swordfish

[e] at least those are some of the fish with high levels, other fish have way lower levels

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's only with certain species like tuna and swordfish

[e] at least those are some of the fish with high levels, other fish have way lower levels

It's a bigger problem in freshwater, where atmospheric mercury accumulates in reservoir sediment and phytoplankton and then bioaccumulates up through the foodweb into piscivorous species, e.g., bass, walleye, pike. The closer a body of water is to a coal-burning power plant or its fallout, the more there is in the system. To make things worse, climate change is now causing mercury and other heavy metals in the soils to leach out into groundwater, after which the same bioaccumulation happens.

Check your natural resources agency's mercury advisories.