Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think Barret is being insanely patient with the guy who tried to kill Tifa and also Aerith sort of. He's practically a saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He’s the best of them honestly.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Willo567 posted:

This is a minor complaint, but am I the only one who is kind of irked that(ending spoiler) Barret is being kind of a jerk about Cloud with regards to his mental instability? Barret was willing to still believe that Dyne wasn't a crazy murderer despite clearly acting mentally unstable and forgives him even after Dyne tried to kill him and told him to live with the guilt of the Corel reactor blowing up and Shinra burning the town. Meanwhile, he keeps telling the group about how unstable Cloud is becoming and barely trusts him anymore by the end and looks at Cloud like he's crazy when Cloud tells them about the sky, despite Cloud having Barret's back all throughout Rebirth, including telling Barret he would help "carry the weight" after Dyne died. I get the stakes are high and they can't risk Cloud getting more unstable, but Barret seems less patient with Cloud than Dyne.

Barret has steadily been losing confidence in his own ability to be a leader and come to see Cloud as the guy he can always rely on. He’s blunt about telling Cloud to get his poo poo together because as far as he’s concerned the group needs Cloud to have his poo poo together.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Clarste posted:

I think Barret is being insanely patient with the guy who tried to kill Tifa and also Aerith sort of. He's practically a saint.

Also Cloud is a demi-god compared to Dyne so Barret could be treading cautiously with him.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This last fight is absolutely loving rear end.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

G-Mawwwwwww posted:

This last fight is absolutely loving rear end.

The worst part about it is ||sephiroths smug rear end grin when he kills you with his last gimmick and the knowledge you have to sit through the whole loving thing again||

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
personally i'm always glad for a jrpg boss that can kick my rear end on standard difficulties even if i've done all the side content. don't get them very often

then again i've never played the saga series

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

TK-42-1 posted:

The worst part about it is ||sephiroths smug rear end grin when he kills you with his last gimmick and the knowledge you have to sit through the whole loving thing again||

I actually loving love that there is a specific game over screen for that. And it's literally the only one like that in the entire game.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I thought the Jenova fight was amazing and epic in scale and the music and feeling and then the Sephiroth fights are just a slog.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I thought the final boss rush was cool as hell, a great big fight to end a great big game, I really enjoyed it and it was the right kind of challenge level for an end boss imo. Apart from the crappy retry options idk what people’s problem with it is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did get pretty frustrated with the very last phase, which I kept loving up on (I kept forgetting to keep an ATB in reserve to heal up if he uses Heartless Angel), but that was, I understand, a skill issue.

Jenova Lifeclinger followed by Cloud and Zack vs. Sephiroth was badass, though. I'm tempted to say I'd have preferred if the final boss sequence ended after Cloud and Zack fight Sephiroth, although I do really love the moment where Zack can do a cross-dimensional synergy ability with Cloud, that ruled.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The final phase just needed a checkpoint after the cutscene. With that it's a fairly short puzzle fight which killed me a few times but by my fourth attempt I was able to skip some mechanics and kill very fast, even with aerith having almost no materia

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mainwaring posted:

The final phase just needed a checkpoint after the cutscene. With that it's a fairly short puzzle fight which killed me a few times but by my fourth attempt I was able to skip some mechanics and kill very fast, even with aerith having almost no materia

Yeah I'm extremely relieved that I didn't bother taking anything off Aerith - and that I remembered at the last second to give Cait Sith his stuff back after he re-joined.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

Yeah I'm extremely relieved that I didn't bother taking anything off Aerith - and that I remembered at the last second to give Cait Sith his stuff back after he re-joined.

Same here. Well except that I forgot to equip Cait Sith but I fixed that for the Sephiroth part at least.

Having everyone have a full setup for the whole game really paid off there because I didn’t have any reason to unequip Aerith.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I got to the bit before the final fight with only cloud Barret and tifa kitted out. Then I just decided I couldn't be bothered setting up everyone else before starting and it wasn't really a problem on normal difficulty. Yuffie and red especially can perform pretty well with zero materia as long as you've been unlocking abilities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
TBH I don't understand why people are unequipping everyone so much. When I played the only thing I ever swapped around was an Assess earring so I could scan things without Cloud around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

TBH I don't understand why people are unequipping everyone so much. When I played the only thing I ever swapped around was an Assess earring so I could scan things without Cloud around.

Yeah, I found that there was plenty of materia to go around to have everyone fully kitted out at all times, so I only ever had to switch it up when I actually felt like it. And yeah about the only thing I really needed to adjust for based on party composition was getting an Assess materia or earring in there somewhere.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The main issue I had with the endgame party shuffling was healing materia, particularly Revive. Like some of the combinations the game forces you into I just didn’t have anyone kitted out for healing and my supply of potions was running dangerously low.

The game is at least nice enough to give you Yuffie for all the bits that require elemental weaknesses so you always have a fallback.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Augus posted:

The main issue I had with the endgame party shuffling was healing materia, particularly Revive. Like some of the combinations the game forces you into I just didn’t have anyone kitted out for healing and my supply of potions was running dangerously low.

The game is at least nice enough to give you Yuffie for all the bits that require elemental weaknesses so you always have a fallback.

By late game I had heal + revive on everyone, as prep for hard mode if nothing else.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The biggest annoyance with materia shuffling is the handful of rare/unique ones like Enemy Skill and the elemental materia that you generally want in your active party most or all of the time. For most other materia you can buy dupes or get way more than you'll ever need so there's never a good reason to fully strip somebody's loadout.

The only other big consideration for the final boss rush is it really sucks if you don't happen to have multiple characters.set up to dispel Barrier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would say that it's not really worth shuffling the unique stuff around because generally you want to build a character to be good at something rather than trying to make everyone good at everything. There was no huge reason to move Enemy Skill off the person I had it on unless I wanted to try a new gimmick once I unlocked a new skill and if that gimmick worked out then it stayed on a (Yuffie) character.

There are exceptions like the solo arena fights but those pretty clearly intend for you to customize for them.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

BisbyWorl posted:

By late game I had heal + revive on everyone, as prep for hard mode if nothing else.

See I feel like the end annoyed me because I figured I would just knock it out and then do more optional stuff but it kept going and going and going and my B team was not ready for all the shuffling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I had a few people set up as competent healers.

Barret had the Item Master, Item Economizer, and a Prayer materia on. I basically ran him as a Chemist, which I liked since, I mean, Chemists use guns, right? Obviously this won't work on hard mode but for dynamic he was great. Tifa also had a Prayer materia, and then Aerith had Recovery + Magnify.

Usually that was enough that even when they shuffle your party around I always had a competent healer, though I did have to swap a Recovery materia around once or twice.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Today I learned that if you have an unleveled materia connected to HP or MP Absorb, it won't activate for the higher levels of that spell when you use it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
For hard mode I've been using mp absorb + fire, magic efficiency + fire, and mp absorb + fire on Aerith. . Since my mp absorb is high level I get a lot of mp back, so much that casting fira doesn't cost anything. Roasting everything is pretty fun.

Edit: oh yeah magnify too.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 6, 2024

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There is nothing more infuriating in this game than when your character dies and the game decides you have to wait 10 full seconds for them to do go through a meaningless animation before you can switch to another character

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

it's so loving funny that this and infinite wealth came out at like the same time

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

TK-42-1 posted:

this is exactly where I called it a night last night

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The non-swimsuit outfits for the girls are both way better than the actual swimsuits lol

Tifa, I love you, but the bikini is wack.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Waffleman_ posted:

The non-swimsuit outfits for the girls are both way better than the actual swimsuits lol

Tifa, I love you, but the bikini is wack.

I kind of like Aerith's outfit with the long skirt because it at least feels like something she'd wear. But got bored of it eventually, and the cutscenes aren't really designed to deal with its specific cloth physics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yuffie :allears:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Major problem in the subbed version. They have Seto Kaiba's VO and they do NOT use him in the Queens Blood storyline

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

She's the best sidekick / co-protagonist and also super fun to play as.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Thundarr posted:

She's the best sidekick / co-protagonist and also super fun to play as.

> Beat it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

she's your One Stop Clobberin' Shop

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yuffie's moogle poncho owns.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So close to beating the final round of Bonds on Friendship and then wiped...

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

deoju posted:

Yuffie's moogle poncho owns.

It’s so good, cutscenes are a mess with it and I love it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Beat the game last night.

All around, an uneven but great game. The whole story revolves around the one shining moment of Aerith's death. Sort of put them in a no win situation for the moment itself. The lead up is generally fantastic. Golden Saucer date/play, bonfire at Cosmo Canyon, the Tifa and Cloud conflict are loaded with lovely character moments.

Still, underwhelming final scenes. Trying to have your cake and eat it too with the cruel and sudden permeance of death undermined by the lack of a narrative resolution for the game. Aerith is a force ghost for Cloud, and also maybe alive in a different timeline? Messy stuff.

That said, I had a fantastic time and the incoherent Kingdom Hearts multiverse stuff was appropriately third fiddle with the Characters themselves at center stage. Also, the game play is fun as hell. 9/10. Would have been 10/10 if not for the solo Cait Sith stuff at Shinra Manor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm about 75% of the way through Remake, and it's pretty good. I was sort of dubious of them splitting the game into three parts (especially at $70 a pop), but the attention to detail and expansion of the world is pretty great. I'm still struggling a lot with the combat, mostly because I keep moving all my Materia around as characters join/leave the party so I keep walking into battles with stuff missing. Other than that, it's a pretty novel system that forces you to adapt a lot more than in other games I've seen.

I have a PS5, but I'm playing the PS4 version of Remake because I had it free from PS+ several years ago. It doesn't come with the Yuffie DLC, which I would probably pay for if it was like $15 alone. But it seems like the only way I can get it is to pay for Intergrade, or to get PS+ Extra/Platinum. If I upgrade my PS+ subscription, will I just have to download a whole new game for the PS5 version, which presumably wouldn't have all my save data on it?