Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Flair posted:

In the current climate of the games industry, it is either live service or bust

https://www.thegamer.com/hi-fi-rush-insider-claims-xbox-not-happy-with-sales-numbers/

Absolutely this. A game doesn't just have to be profitable, it needs to make up for all the other studio's failures. The announcements always say "Didn't meet sales expectations."

From the article (this was just after Hi-Fi Rush released and everyone was raving about it):

quote:

Xbox reportedly isn't very happy with Hi-Fi Rush's sales numbers, with one insider claiming that it "didn't make the money that it needed to make".

Not that it "wasn't profitable," but rather "it just didn't make enough money".

I almost wonder if it's actually worse to be a somewhat successful game? Like the CEO perception of a game like Hi-Fi is that "it did well, but why didn't it do better?" As opposed to a absolute flop where the CEOs are like, "Well, at least we get a tax writeoff."

It's just a weird juxtaposition when the devs say "this was a breakout success" and then the publisher says "we're shutting you down."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

strategery posted:

Pretty good stuff in there, provided you dont have gamepass and have played them all.

Yeah, that's kind of how I was feeling on the Humble Choice: already hit up Like a Dragon and Hi-Fi Rush from GamePass. I suppose I'm a little interested in Steelrising, but...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think its gonna do well. The people are always gonna be hungry for the next open world skyrim type rpg.

They've been trying to pull back from the perceived "Like Skyrim" comparisons.
It's gonna be more like "Fantasy Outer Worlds", I think, in that it'll be a tighter smaller more focused/directed kind of game. Not so much the, "Set out in a direction and see what's beyond that hill" style

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Yeah, that's kind of how I was feeling on the Humble Choice: already hit up Like a Dragon and Hi-Fi Rush from GamePass. I suppose I'm a little interested in Steelrising, but...

Steelrising is (despite becoming beforehand) Big Lots Lies Of P. Almost the exact same game just not as good.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Microsoft leadership heard people complaining about "Having too many good games to play", then delivered the solution. Great job, Phil.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Velocity Raptor posted:

I am pretty confident that Starfield made profit from hype sales and completely failed at achieving the expected long tail of a Bethesda game.

You know what to do, Phil Spencer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Picked up the humble monthly basically just for Steelrising and Mediterranea Inferno, both of those look extremely like my jam - a weird Spiders soulslike set in France? A weird queer short visual novel? Hell yeah!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

I almost wonder if it's actually worse to be a somewhat successful game? Like the CEO perception of a game like Hi-Fi is that "it did well, but why didn't it do better?" As opposed to a absolute flop where the CEOs are like, "Well, at least we get a tax writeoff."

It's just a weird juxtaposition when the devs say "this was a breakout success" and then the publisher says "we're shutting you down."

It's a question of opportunity cost. If a $10 million investment in a game over three years makes money, that's good. But if it makes less that putting that same money in the stock market over the same amount of time, then it was comparatively a bad investment.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Lister posted:

It's a question of opportunity cost. If a $10 million investment in a game over three years makes money, that's good. But if it makes less that putting that same money in the stock market over the same amount of time, then it was comparatively a bad investment.

It can also just be a symptom of capitalism brain rot, in that you can make Number Go Up in the short term by firing a bunch of people, even if they represent a profitable asset. Investors and upper management love that poo poo, especially when their personal bonuses are tied to certain abstract KPIs. It can even be a legitimately bad move for the company in the medium and long term, they'll still pull the boxing equivalent of sawing off your leg to make weight for a fight

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lister posted:

and this is why, for all the poo poo Valve gets, I deeply appreciate that they are privately held.

Shareholders and ~investment~ is an absolute poison chalice that destroys so many things. Talent has nothing to do with it, skill nothing to do with it, time invested (heh) also has nothing to do with it. On the plus side, that's really just the big time stuff, same with movies. People want to make stuff because they want to make stuff and that's all that's needed. Always fantastic people making fantastic things completely separate from giant corporations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ZearothK posted:

gently caress, I am now scared for Obsidian if Avowed doesn't sell megabucks.
I don't see how it makes megabucks when every other company is asking you to spend $60-70 on their game and Microsoft keeps giving it out for free* ($9.99 on PC or $14.99 on Console) for people who have 6 months of gamepass already banked and doesn't bring in new money.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

Absolutely this. A game doesn't just have to be profitable, it needs to make up for all the other studio's failures. The announcements always say "Didn't meet sales expectations."

From the article (this was just after Hi-Fi Rush released and everyone was raving about it):

Video game publishing has always been a spread betting game. Sometimes huge projects flop, sometimes some one man's seven year passion project sells a bazillion copies. The wins have to overcome the losses - that's not unfair, that's just how literally any industry where you are selling multiple products that are based on whims of the public works.

At a very minimum, the win needs to be better than just sticking the development cash in the S&P 500 and watching number go up.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

human of smells posted:

Starfield killed tango.

They kill Tango and yet they are STILL making that Perfect Dark AAAA reboot. Sigh.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Thanks for the replies. That makes sense that it's about investment in a game vs the market, and marginally better than my previous thought that each game needs to make up for all failures for the publisher. It sucks that it always seems to be the devs of successful games that get shutdown, though that's probably confirmation bias.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think it's clear that piracy doesn't matter at this point since corps can just kill profitable studios Just Because while still making billions of dollars

voting with your wallet has never mattered less in 2024

also at this point why buy a console if sony and microsoft are dedicated to reducing their exclusives year after year until all they have left is one all-game. i dont really get their long term strategy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
profitability and production have come totally untethered from each other, it’s all abstract number-shuffling now as workers desperately try to maintain the illusion that they’re doing meaningful work (because whoever breaks kayfabe gets fired quicker)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

welp

https://twitter.com/JuiceHead33/status/1787860542398300383

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Even Arx Fatalis still totally holds up and is full of interesting ideas, some of which are still not really used anywhere.
It's Ultima Underworld 3, with the branding ripped out after being unable to secure it from EA.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Koburn posted:

Humble Choice dropped:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Hi-Fi RUSH
Steelrising
Loddlenaut
King of the Castle
Bravery and Greed
Amanda the Adventurer
Mediterranea Inferno

first Humble Choice I've bought in quite a while. Several games on my wishlist (particularly Mediterranea Inferno), and while I've already played through Hi-Fi Rush, I'm glad to have a copy that isn't tied to a Game Pass subscription.

but yeah, that timing is one hell of a coincidence

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean, duh? You generally don't tell a studio, "Hey guys we're gonna close you down in 6 months, so stop what you're doing. Go ahead and sit on your asses and collect paychecks in the mean time"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Koburn posted:

Humble Choice dropped:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Hi-Fi RUSH

Steelrising
Loddlenaut
King of the Castle
Bravery and Greed
Amanda the Adventurer
Mediterranea Inferno

Hell yeah!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256963148/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1692975592

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2278790/Grapple_Dogs_Cosmic_Canines/

playtest this friday. first game missed being my GOTY by half a point

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

boofhead posted:

It can also just be a symptom of capitalism brain rot, in that you can make Number Go Up in the short term by firing a bunch of people, even if they represent a profitable asset. Investors and upper management love that poo poo, especially when their personal bonuses are tied to certain abstract KPIs. It can even be a legitimately bad move for the company in the medium and long term, they'll still pull the boxing equivalent of sawing off your leg to make weight for a fight

Yep. Average CEO tenure is 2 years, they don't give a poo poo about long term stability or profits. Whatever can be gut in the short term to trigger bonus comp is, and then leadership is off to the next company by the time the impacts of their decision making actually need to be addressed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Question about Hitman: from what I can see no other stores sell Steam keys for the Deluxe edition, but Humble does sell Steam keys for the regular edition. Is there anything I can't get from just buying the DLC individually that requires me to buy the deluxe? It has regional pricing in my store but it's still quite expensive since it isn't on sale. I tried the demo thinking it wouldn't be my type of game and it was tremendously fun.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

The 7th Guest posted:

i dont really get their long term strategy

There isn't one. Generate maximum value for the shareholders right now is the only thing that matters. What happens next year or 5 years from now is someone else's problem

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ok I should have bought the Zachtronics Solitaire Collection a long, long time ago it's very good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Azran posted:

Question about Hitman: from what I can see no other stores sell Steam keys for the Deluxe edition, but Humble does sell Steam keys for the regular edition. Is there anything I can't get from just buying the DLC individually that requires me to buy the deluxe? It has regional pricing in my store but it's still quite expensive since it isn't on sale. I tried the demo thinking it wouldn't be my type of game and it was tremendously fun.

From looking at this - and god, IO, you suck - you can buy the deluxe edition DLC on steam separately!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/30335/HITMAN_World_of_Assassination_Deluxe_Pack/ <--- this gets you the deluxe edition dlc

So, yes, you can buy it on humble right now without missing out on anything!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harlock posted:

I don't see how it makes megabucks when every other company is asking you to spend $60-70 on their game and Microsoft keeps giving it out for free* ($9.99 on PC or $14.99 on Console) for people who have 6 months of gamepass already banked and doesn't bring in new money.

yeah :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

ok I should have bought the Zachtronics Solitaire Collection a long, long time ago it's very good

It's so good to play a game if I'm wanting to play something but not an actual video game. One day I will understand the Tarot ruleset.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mr E posted:

It's so good to play a game if I'm wanting to play something but not an actual video game. One day I will understand the Tarot ruleset.

I use Coloring Pixels for this. It's literally just clicking numbered squares with the correct colour selected. It soothes my anxiety like nothing else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's funny that they renamed Hitman III to Hitman World of Assassination to simplify things and it's still confusing as poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mr E posted:

My trouble with the tarot one is that I've played this variant before and it SUCKS ahhhh. so little input, so much RNG. And yet I want to beat it anyways...

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's funny that they renamed Hitman III to Hitman World of Assassination to simplify things and it's still confusing as poo poo.

Every time I see a Hitman gameplay video I'm like "I should get this" and then every time I see a chart like the one posted upthread breaking down what's in which package the impulse goes away.

Barry Convex posted:

first Humble Choice I've bought in quite a while.

I think it's going to be for me, too! Good deal on LAD and HiFi Rush, plus positive posts about some of the stuff on there I hadn't heard of.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Every time I see a Hitman gameplay video I'm like "I should get this" and then every time I see a chart like the one posted upthread breaking down what's in which package the impulse goes away.

Drives me insane because it's an incredible game and they're doing their damndest to prevent people from playing it :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The worse thing is that this is still simpler than how they used to sell Hitman.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Akratic Method posted:

As someone who was in the pust repeatedly put off by both the sale method and confusing menu navigation in-game: do it. The games are absolutely fantastic and probably closest we got to a proper immsim nowadays.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thank you. As someone not interested in playing Hitman and not really curious enough to ask I always vaguely wondered how this situation came about and this was the missing puzzle piece.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Thank you. As someone not interested in playing Hitman and not really curious enough to ask I always vaguely wondered how this situation came about and this was the missing puzzle piece.

It’s still worth getting, especially on sale. I’m pretty sure that Hitman World Of Assassination comes with the campaigns for the whole trilogy. There’s a lot of game there. Still, very confusing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Heads up, Destiny 2 is doing a thing where almost all of the expansions will be free to play leading up to the release of the newest one. Probably still not gonna reinstall, but others might want to.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fps/bungie-continues-recent-streak-of-ws-by-making-most-destiny-2-expansions-free-to-everyone/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mordja posted:

Heads up, Destiny 2 is doing a thing where almost all of the expansions will be free to play leading up to the release of the newest one. Probably still not gonna reinstall, but others might want to.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fps/bungie-continues-recent-streak-of-ws-by-making-most-destiny-2-expansions-free-to-everyone/