Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bright Bart posted:

A twelve-year-old girl fought in that raid. The Nabu forces were using child soldiers.

Don't give me that about her being the princess or queen or whatever. Plenty regents and generals have said 'no, sorry' to underage monarchs irl and that is what should have happened here.

Did she even hit anything during the fight?

the republic is bad, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There were a handful of letterboxd reviews that dropped after the premier too. This seems to be the consensus – it's not as action impressive as Fury Road, but story has a lot more weight and rocks.

Hope that 79 year old man just gets a blank check to keep making movies in that world before he retires(?).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

the republic is bad, yes

Naboo was fighting independently of the Republic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There's a good case to be made, especially now, that Episode 1 isn't even in the bottom 5 Star Wars movies.

Not the best, but not the worst!

Also one thing I had never noticed, one of Anakin's friends on Tatooine is a little girl whose braces you can still very clearly see so they do have orthodonty for these desert slaves

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Star Wars Episode 1 is very nice to look at. It’s in the Fifth Element realm (admittedly not as good as Fifth Element overall).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Hope that 79 year old man just gets a blank check to keep making movies in that world before he retires(?).

I really liked Three Thousand Years of Longing so I hope he keeps making whatever the hell he wants.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Safety Factor posted:

I really liked Three Thousand Years of Longing so I hope he keeps making whatever the hell he wants.

I parsed that as '100 Years of Solitude' for a sec. And was going to say that García Márquez is overrated and his writing would be called sleezy if it weren't high art. He did write The General In His Labyrinth though, which is at least a good book.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Miller said he wants to make another Mad Max film that takes place before Fury Road. I was kinda hoping he'd make one that's more stand-alone and has nothing to do with that film - you already get a clear picture of what he went through before the events of Fury Road. I do wanna see more fantastic car action but not so much in service of another connecting story. Furiosa is an exception because she's directly tied to Fury Road in a way Max isn't.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Agree with the later but boy howdy I hated this film. Was blown away how reserved and surprisingly mundane all the stories were, and despised that the protagonist wishes for the Djinn to love her, and then the movie never looks back and acts like they have some beautiful romance we should root for. loving weird!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay but it's perfectly timed to when the choir begins in the song and like yeah that's the coolest poo poo in the world when you're 9 lmao

The movie succeeds solely on the basis of how loving kickass that song is.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'll confirm that the Duel of the Fates moment is one of the coolest things in the world even when you're in your twenties, you can say what you want about the rest of the flick but that's pure cinema right there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Phantom Menace sucked rear end but at least I remember some things from it decades later. Attack Of The Clones is just a couple of hours of nothing

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Phantom Menace got a lot of post-release mileage out of its insane marketing campaign, but I'll never forget how Attack of the Clones sucked all the air out of the room.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Michelle Yeoh To Star In ‘Blade Runner 2099’ Sequel Series For Prime Video

Did not see this coming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Series? Wtf is a series. Make loving movies people

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Phantom Menace got a lot of post-release mileage out of its insane marketing campaign, but I'll never forget how Attack of the Clones sucked all the air out of the room.

They didn't know what characters people would like so they just shotgun blasted every Glup Shitto onto a plastic something and that's why Sebulba is on a Pepsi machine

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

They didn't know what characters people would like so they just shotgun blasted every Glup Shitto onto a plastic something and that's why Sebulba is on a Pepsi machine

Hey man, Glup Shitto is a great character and it was very rude of Jar Jar to step on him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Real Ebe Endecott heads know what's up

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Every character deserves to be on a pepsi machine. Justice for one-off and support characters. In fact, to hecks with the main characters of any of these films, they should put Dexter Jettster all over the tie-ins and merch.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safety Factor posted:

Three Thousand Years of Longing was great.

Also - don't watch it via Amazon Prime as the subtitles are hosed. (They don't subtitle the non-English dialogue.) At first I thought it was a stylistic choice until it literally made no sense later. Watched it via a different streaming platform and everything was good.

Overall, the film feels like something you should watch on a mid-summer evening, a warm breeze washing over you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Every character deserves to be on a pepsi machine. Justice for one-off and support characters. In fact, to hecks with the main characters of any of these films, they should put Dexter Jettster all over the tie-ins and merch.

Buddy, an underworld information broker operating out of a greasy diner and presenting as a line cook? You could make a whole show outta that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Agree with the later but boy howdy I hated this film. Was blown away how reserved and surprisingly mundane all the stories were, and despised that the protagonist wishes for the Djinn to love her, and then the movie never looks back and acts like they have some beautiful romance we should root for. loving weird!

I think it's meant to be allegorical. She wants this big romantic storybook cosmic love but it turns out you can't have that in the real "modern" world and is forced to either keep the idea in the Land of the Abstract or kill it.

The whole movie is like that, it's about things being tucked away and abstracted and lying in wait and being mythologized.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Buddy, an underworld information broker operating out of a greasy diner and presenting as a line cook? You could make a whole show outta that.

Better Call Jettster.

Please do not will this into being

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've actually always been disappointed that nothing went deeper into the idea of the podracing circuit. Sci-fi NASCAR

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I'll say of those three movies at least Ep 1 has some actual sets that humans are standing in with props and puppets. The craft is almost entirely CG by the third movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do think it's really funny how Obi-Wan defeats Darth Maul and then in episode 3 he's telling Anakin he can't possibly win because he's slightly up hill. Also where the gently caress were they fighting in Episode 1? Why does this imperial palace have a 3 story factory with zero guard rails and laser doors that turn on and off at random? And a giant pit?

I will say it's really horrible how much hate Jake Lloyd got for that movie, he's not great but he's also a small child. I've said this before, but I remember watching a random noir film that had an insanely annoying child actor, probably about the age Jake Lloyd was when they filmed episode 1, and when I looked it up it was loving Dean Stockwell.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 7, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Air Skwirl posted:

I do think it's really funny how Obi-Wan defeats Darth Maul and then in episode 3 he's telling Anakin he can't possibly win because he's slightly up hill. Also where the guck were they fighting in Episode 1? Why does this imperial palace have a 3 story factory with zero guard rails and laser doors that turn on and off at random? And a giant pit?

Next you're going to tell me that Imperials shouldn't build their Death Star shield regulators over bottomless pits!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cinema sins has logged on

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just saying, if the high ground matters that loving much, Darth Maul should have easily iced Obi-Wan. This is more a problem with Episode 3 than Episode 1.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

natalie portman died of "lack of will to live", lol she just gave birth to twins

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would assume it was more related to her being choked severely like three hours prior

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you think dr. droid never finished its medical training and so just says "lost the will to live" each time it loses a patient?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

Goofy is a klutz but he’s a sweet guy. Jar Jar is shifty and knows what he’s doing is bad but does it anyway

Lol wut, examples?

It's one thing to not like the guy but there's no need to wildly misrepresent him. It doesn't help your case!

Gripweed posted:

Naboo was fighting independently of the Republic.

They are die hard Republicans, even in the face of what the state allows corporations to do to them. So like us

Failed Imagineer posted:

Better Call Jettster.

Please do not will this into being

:getin:

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 7, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Also - don't watch it via Amazon Prime as the subtitles are hosed. (They don't subtitle the non-English dialogue.) At first I thought it was a stylistic choice until it literally made no sense later. Watched it via a different streaming platform and everything was good.

This sort of thing happens all the time on the streaming platforms. There are a bunch of apologists on Reddit saying it's actually the distributers fault or something but it's clearly the streamers not bothering to ensure they're buying and releasing a complete piece of media.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Shout_Studios/status/1787938814981222628?t=2USFVD70V49WtP39xUi6Cw&s=19

Shout's got a sale on UHD for the next week. I got my eye on Clue for 20 bones...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Lol wut, examples?

It's one thing to not like the guy but there's no need to wildly misrepresent him. It doesn't help your case!

Pulling up videos is a pain in the rear end on mobile but we see him glance over at the food at that venders cart and he looks both ways before he fuckin steals it. Then gets his rear end rocked. He gets choked out

He keeps snatching the food with his tongue right after everyone eyes him like, wtf. He gets punished for it. His response is anger.

Qui Gon says don’t touch anything in anakin’s shop and the first thing he does is knock poo poo over and start loving with EVERYTHING

Any time qui gon says stay here don’t get into trouble he sticks his tongue out in protest.

He’s just a piece of poo poo. He’s not a child. He’s either a teenage gungan or an adult gungan. Makes sense why they booted his rear end

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah seriously; the two examples are, like, “he steals a roast space-duck from a vendor” and “he tables a motion to give Sheev emergency powers”.

In the later case, it’s like “oh no!! Jar Jar doesn’t respect private property!!!” Like dogg are you for real? And it’s obvious Jar Jar doesn’t even intend to steal, because he’s like “paying for food? What the gently caress?!”

As for the emergency powers thing, that’s both explicitly an action that he’s doing on Senator Amidala’s behalf and something that’s left up to a vote. Jar Jar basically just voices an idea that’s supported by an overwhelming majority of senators, including Amidala herself. Sheev uses the powers to save her life and Padme only expresses mild reservations years later, when the war is over. Blaming Jar Jar is scapegoating him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sourdough Sam posted:

I'll say of those three movies at least Ep 1 has some actual sets that humans are standing in with props and puppets. The craft is almost entirely CG by the third movie.

This is bait and I'm not taking it!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

distortion park posted:

This sort of thing happens all the time on the streaming platforms. There are a bunch of apologists on Reddit saying it's actually the distributers fault or something but it's clearly the streamers not bothering to ensure they're buying and releasing a complete piece of media.

The situation is slightly more nuanced than that, though it is the fault of Amazon here.

:eng101: Lets talk about subtitling, captions, and film picture bases. :eng101:

Generally, with films there are two types of picture bases: texted and textless.

To illustrate this, let's imagine a film that is primarily English dialogue but then has some scenes where characters are speak French.

The texted base will have English subtitles only during the French dialogue scenes as part of the film picture. They're part of the base images and cannot be removed. They are often stylized to fit the films theme. With no subtitles or captions, this will always be part of the film.

The textless base will have will have no subtitles for any scene.

Now let's introduce the different types of subtitles and captions. Again, we'll use that prior film example.

1 - Fullstream Subtitles. These are your general (non-English) subtitles for a film. All dialogue will be subtitled - both English and French. These can be applied to either the texted or textless base, depending on territory preference. If applied to the texted base, during the French dialogue scenes, you will see the stylized in-picture subtitles for French -> English as well as the fullstream subtitles overlayed in whichever language is being targeted.

2 - Subs-for-dub. When the film is dubbed, there is no longer a need for the target language subtitles. The subs-for-dub would only appear on screen during the French scenes as all of the English scenes would be dubbed into the language of the territory.

3 - Closed Captions. Unlike what your TV tells you, those are not closed captions. Closed captions are streamed to a closed captioning device and not displayed on screen. Closed captions will be in whatever the primary language of the film is and will include non-dialogue aspects ("Ominous music plays" "The door creaks" that kinda stuff). Theatrical dubs sometimes have closed captions in addition to subs-for-dub.

4 - Open Captions. These are, in essence, the same as as the Closed Captions, but are displayed on screen like subtitles. If targeting a texted base, they'll often omit the foreign language since it is already on screen. So when you turn on "closed captions" on your TV, you're actually using the open captions. (Open for everyone to see.) While it is rare, theatrical dubbed versions of films can have OCAPs.

So back to my issue with the Amazon Prime version of Three Thousand Years of Longing - They were using the textless base (as no in-picture subtitles appeared during the non-English scenes) however it seems like subtitle XMLs they were using were English OCAPs meant to target a Texted base. During the scenes where they speak other languages, the captions just read "<characters> speaks <language>" and that's it.

We switched and rented it off Youtube and those captions were correct. They were likely using English Closed Captions, but running them as Open Captions.

Working in subtitles and captions is literally my job, so this was just an opportunity to brain dump about my specific specialty.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How do I get piss yellow anime subs back?