Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nope I was like ten and didn't do anything other than glue 'em together. This time I went at them with clippers and a microsanding tool and it really smoothed things out, though I did somehow still create a head gap which luckily was easily filled with liquid green stuff. I'm just really bad at modeling I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Would strongly recommend putting some pins in your metal models. At least the arms into the torso. The flat mating surfaces don't give a lot of surface area for superglue to grab on.

Edit - if you've already assembled them and don't want to take them apart to pin you can drill a hole through the arm from the outside into the torso, stick the pin in and then fill the pinhole.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Do folks drill lasgun barrels? They're pretty teensy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Like any gun barrel, drilling your lasguns is completely personal preference.

With that said, drill your fuckin barrels and pin your taints.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To rephrase and shorten my earlier question, do I need to seek out any additional or updated rules for Combat Patrol, or it just what's in the Leviathan rulebook?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The core rules all apply but each Patrol has set rules and there are specific missions, all of which can be found here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/29/combat-patrol-rules-and-missions-everything-you-need-to-play-this-fresh-new-mode/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Would strongly recommend putting some pins in your metal models. At least the arms into the torso. The flat mating surfaces don't give a lot of surface area for superglue to grab on.

Edit - if you've already assembled them and don't want to take them apart to pin you can drill a hole through the arm from the outside into the torso, stick the pin in and then fill the pinhole.

Hmm, I appreciate the advice but I feel pretty sure I’d mangle them trying to drill holes in from the side. It’d be nice to mitigate the ease with which limbs pop off these kinds of models so I’ll keep that in mind for the future though

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

rantmo posted:

The core rules all apply but each Patrol has set rules and there are specific missions, all of which can be found here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/29/combat-patrol-rules-and-missions-everything-you-need-to-play-this-fresh-new-mode/

Dang, see! I'd thought the rules were in the book because last night I flipped to the full color spreads of each Combat Patrol and was going to review the rules later. I'd forgotten they're in this completely separate pdf, thanks.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Frog Act posted:

Hmm, I appreciate the advice but I feel pretty sure I’d mangle them trying to drill holes in from the side. It’d be nice to mitigate the ease with which limbs pop off these kinds of models so I’ll keep that in mind for the future though

If you don't want to drill and pin those kinds of joints, you can rough 'em up a bit with like a bunch of cross-hatches with an Xacto blade and that will help things 'grip' with the extra surface area.

I'd still recommend drilling and pinning if you can.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

I'm starting to realize that I'd be happier if I got some Kommandos and Ghaz and not think about what a competitive list looks like.

Buy stuff that you think is cool, worry about if it's competitive later

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

Every year people act shocked that a company raises prices more or less in step with inflation.

Note that inflation is fake and driven by greed not necessity

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The OP is correct, we should not be surprised by their greed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

The OP is correct, we should not be surprised by their greed.

Also true

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

That may well be but if it is I am also not surprised that publicly traded profit driven corporation Games Workshop Group PLC did not decide to be the only company to go against their best interest by not raising prices and getting away with it like everyone else is.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My expensive as gently caress niche hobby is now more expensive and yet somehow less niche than ever. :homebrew:

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Made a list, thoughts?

first (995 points)

Astra Militarum
Incursion (1000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTERS

Cadian Command Squad (65 points)
• 1x Cadian Commander
• Warlord
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
• 1x Cadian Veteran Guardsman
• 1x Plasma gun
1x Plasma pistol
• 1x Cadian Veteran Guardsman with Master Vox
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Lasgun
1x Master Vox
• 1x Cadian Veteran Guardsman with Medi-pack
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Lasgun
1x Medi-pack
• 1x Cadian Veteran Guardsman with Regimental Standard
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma gun

BATTLELINE

Cadian Shock Troops (60 points)
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Drum-fed autogun
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 9x Close combat weapon
1x Grenade launcher
7x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Drum-fed autogun
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 9x Close combat weapon
1x Grenade launcher
7x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Drum-fed autogun
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 9x Close combat weapon
1x Grenade launcher
7x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Drum-fed autogun
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 9x Close combat weapon
1x Grenade launcher
7x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Drum-fed autogun
• 9x Shock Trooper
• 9x Close combat weapon
1x Grenade launcher
7x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

OTHER DATASHEETS

Armoured Sentinels (70 points)
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Militarum multi-laser

Basilisk (150 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
1x Earthshaker cannon
1x Heavy bolter

Field Ordnance Battery (120 points)
• 2x Ordnance Team
• 2x Battery close combat weapons
2x Bombast field gun
2x Lasgun
2x Laspistol

Heavy Weapons Squad (60 points)
• 3x Heavy Weapon Team
• 3x Las small arms
3x Lascannon
3x Weapons team close combat weapons

Heavy Weapons Squad (60 points)
• 3x Heavy Weapon Team
• 3x Las small arms
3x Lascannon
3x Weapons team close combat weapons

Leman Russ Battle Tank (170 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
1x Lascannon
1x Leman Russ battle cannon

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 7, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Robert Facepalmer posted:

If you don't want to drill and pin those kinds of joints, you can rough 'em up a bit with like a bunch of cross-hatches with an Xacto blade and that will help things 'grip' with the extra surface area.

I'd still recommend drilling and pinning if you can.

That’s a good idea, I’ll definitely do that next time! Or when limbs inevitably fall off at the slightest bump

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I’d rough the parts up on the join points with a coarse file.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hack at em with an old blade like a killer in a movie

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I’m gonna slice em up a bit when they fall off, whic always seems to happen to me eventually with pewter though at least now I understand why. got a little drill/sanding set that I intend to use for barrels and is super good for smoothing out moldline bumps (glad I wear glasses though those flecks are dangerous), that might be helpful too

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

a pale ghost posted:

Made a list, thoughts?

I'd be inclined to combine 2 of the cadian squads into a big one to protect the command squad when they're joined together. Beef up the sentinel gun, the rerolls an armoured sentinel gets vs vehicles means they want something heavy like a lascannon. Heavy weapon squads are paper thin, with anything other than a mortar they're going to die as soon as they stick their head out. I'd swap them out for something else if you have the minis. Since it's all free, make sure the vehicles all have hunter killers and the russ has sponsons.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

ro5s posted:

Advice

Whoops, I absolutely missed those additional bits to upgrade. It all being free is new and weird.

How does the command squad joining the infantry squad work?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

a pale ghost posted:

Whoops, I absolutely missed those additional bits to upgrade. It all being free is new and weird.

How does the command squad joining the infantry squad work?

So during pregame characters can attach to units (this is covered in the official app under the leader heading for the character datasheet - different characters can attach to different units). The command squad is a bit weird in this case since it's multiple models attaching so a command squad +cadians ends up with either a 15 or 25 strong squad. The useful thing is that ALL the special rules combine together in the big unit so all 25 get the benefit of the standard's +1OC, everyone gets the 6+FNP from the medic, everyone gets to ignore modifiers from cadia stands! and the whole thing has the cadian infantry's sticky objectives Just in general it means that there's a bunch of ablative shocktroopers in front of the command squad too since it's one big unit, otherwise it's pretty easy to pick them off unless they hide all game.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Only the officer model is a character in the command squad. It effectively already has ablative wounds.

It makes things more convoluted but they also kind of follow their own logic by only having one special model in that unit and the rest are more or less regular guards with wargear.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

That's pretty dope, thanks.

I have no idea what I'm doing, do I go tank heavy or infantry heavy?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

The Demilich posted:

Does anyone know what a Custodes armor thrall looks like? I can't find any pics

A nice headcanon would be that they look like the RT era Custodes, naked bathrobe dudes with banana helmets

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Personally I would prefer tank heavy because it's a pain in the rear end to move a lot of infantry models around and you'll be sad when they all die.

Unfortunately I also think painting infantry is more fun than painting tanks, but that's a different problem.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What if you had infantry sized tanks? Enter, the Custodes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Not that a regular guard squad will get wiped out instantly, with orders and benefit of cover you can drag them up to a 3+ armor save.

But it feels like their biggest goal in life is to stand on an objective and be annoying by simply existing.

And yeah, custodes are the answer to my problems, and I don't hate them as much as I did a few months ago, but also I can't feel anything other than disinterest when looking at custodes right now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I kinda feel the same with combat patrols. I'd like to get one for combat patrol games without necessarily expanding into a full army, but they all seem so lackluster. Maybe if the rumors pan out and blood angels come this summer they get a new jump assault based combat patrol that will be a little more interesting.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Geisladisk posted:

Every year people act shocked that a company raises prices more or less in step with inflation.

*Laughs in Australia*

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've been having a lot of fun entering painting competitions lately, and my flgs's competition for March/April was "Magical Mischief" so naturally I thought of Ahriman loving up another massive spell. So I got to modeling and kitbashed a 30k Ahriman onto a 40k Ahriman disc, standing on a dead 30k Space Wolf, while electrocuting a 40k Space Wolf (entirely made up of bits from the bit box at the flgs), because Ahriman accidentally time traveled 10,000 years forward and of course landed in the same pickle.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Spoken like someone who has never run a business.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

wins32767 posted:

Spoken like someone who has never run a business.

In theory it's real, in practice it's a boogeyman capitalists point at to justify price gouging and labor cutting practices despite cost of goods going down and record profits being filled quarter after quarter.

And whatever business you were running was definitely a victim of this scam too, and not bound by the actual inflationary effects of raw good prices.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

In theory it's real, in practice it's a boogeyman capitalists point at to justify price gouging and labor cutting practices despite cost of goods going down and record profits being filled quarter after quarter.

And whatever business you were running was definitely a victim of this scam too, and not bound by the actual inflationary effects of raw good prices.

It’s an emergent phenomenon of markets. ‘Gouging’ is how to achieve a market clearing price to avoid shortages and waste. I mean, people have been complaining about gouging since before capitalism.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wins32767 posted:

It’s an emergent phenomenon of markets. ‘Gouging’ is how to achieve a market clearing price to avoid shortages and waste. I mean, people have been complaining about gouging since before capitalism.

The current crop of inflation was entirely deiven by conpanies increasing their profit margins. It's pretty naive to to think that it helps avoid shortages or waste in any way whatsoever. Markets are not efficient at anything except enriching the wealthy.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/07/greedflation-corporate-profiteering-boosted-global-prices-study

quote:

Analysis of the financial accounts of many of the UK’s biggest businesses found that profits far outpaced increases in costs, helping to push up inflation last year to levels not seen since the early 1980s.

The report from the IPPR and Common Wealth thinktanks found that business profits rose by 30% among UK-listed firms, driven by just 11% of firms that made super-profits based on their ability to push through stellar price increases – often dubbed greedflation.

Excessive profits were even larger in the US, where many important sections of the economy are dominated by a few powerful companies.

This surge in profits happened as wage increases largely failed to keep pace with inflation, and workers suffered their largest fall in disposable incomes since the second world war.

Researchers said the energy companies ExxonMobil and Shell, mining firms Glencore and Rio Tinto, and food and commodities businesses Kraft Heinz, Archer-Daniels-Midland and Bunge all saw their profits far outpace inflation in the aftermath of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

So anyway that's why I'm voting for Gulliman for space president

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Don't blame me, I wrote in Sanguinis

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Disproportionation posted:

Yeah I had a FP on order since about February-ish, I figured I'd just be patient, since I know GW's manufacturing is a mess rn. I'll just have to keep an eye out for them coming back in stock or check ebay or something.

If you have a GW account you can have them notify you when they're back in stock. They seem to go back in stock every couple weeks and are then available for a few days. I got a couple of them about a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So anyway that's why I'm voting for Gulliman for space president

Personally I'd advocate for a napoleon or perhaps an emperor to seize power, but we all know that's only going to work until the eventual betrayal.