Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
did they retcon the thing about the etherals possibly being eldar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Tau are fairly standard imperialist colonisers that would be the villain in any series that's less grimdark than 40k

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 7, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tau are fairly standard impetial colonists that would be the villain in any series that's less grimdark than 40k
Yeah, exactly. In any other setting, they're awful loving bastards. In 40k, they're the good guys. But it's important to keep them at that level, and not turn into a society that an actually sane galaxy would tolerate, because then you've quite literally lost the plot.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would like to read new fluff on Tau because it seems like they are claimed ITT to be oppressive of the other aliens folded into their society but then kroot just get to do their own stuff anyway so seems chill?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I feel like the only thing that hinted at them being repressive to conquered species was like two lines in their Dawn of War campaign outro?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CapnAndy posted:

And of course the repeated refrain that everybody seems to be very happy with this insanely restrictive caste system is equally plausible evidence that it's propaganda or that there's mind control afoot.

The caste system really isn’t very restrictive at all. It just decides whether you grow up to be a soldier, a pilot, a diplomat, or literally any other job

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would like to read new fluff on Tau because it seems like they are claimed ITT to be oppressive of the other aliens folded into their society but then kroot just get to do their own stuff anyway so seems chill?

The thing is, the Kroot don’t want to settle other planets. They want to go out into the galaxy, eat cool stuff, and then come home to be eaten. They willingly fight in Tau wars both to honor their commitments to the empire and to further that goal by finding strong guys to eat. So the Tau don’t really interfere with that process.

But if you’re just a guy who wants to farm or whatever, then you’re part of the Tau agricultural program, so what you farm and where is decided by Imperial policy. The examples given in the recent Codexes is like, you’re a farmer on a planet but then the Tau conquer a more fertile planet so you get a letter in the mail saying “good news! You’re moving”.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Gripweed posted:

“good news! You’re moving”.

hey it's for the greater good v:shobon:v

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

hey it's for the greater good v:shobon:v

Honestly it probably beats getting either fired or told to move by your job. But maybe it's exactly the same.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I'd rather live in the Tau Empire than in the US in the 21st century, honestly.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I'd rather live in the Tau Empire than in the US in the 21st century, honestly.

Probably has UBI at least

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

I feel like the only thing that hinted at them being repressive to conquered species was like two lines in their Dawn of War campaign outro?

There's also a few novels and bits in the codex where they'll exterminate their subjects/auxiliaries at the drop of a hat because they're terrified of warp stuff.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
someone lore spew at me about the league of vottan thanks

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

"gently caress you, got mine" space capitalists but they give AI equal rights so it's impossible to say if they're bad or not

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

snergle posted:

There’s basically none. There’s like one upcoming novel featuring them that’s not even out yet, and the stuff in their extremely short Codex, and that’s it.

They’re pretty cool conceptually though, they’re all the standard dwarf cliches but done in sci-fi terms. Dwarves are great craftsman, so all their stuff looks like the original Game Boy because it’s built to last forever, and they’ve elevated their inventions to the level of personhood with their robot Kin. Dwarves venerate their ancestors and are big on family, so they’re all clones, they literally are their ancestors. Dwarves put stock in hard won ancient wisdom, so their society is run by AIs that are just agglomerations of all their society’s knowledge.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Back in early 2000s I remember browsing a 40K book and seeing an entry for Planetary Governor. Is that a standard thing for every edition or would it be in a specific book?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

snergle posted:

God needs more RAM.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"One Million Years" is the only BL thing with votann. it's 40 pages, and mainly about the crons.

there ain't nothing yet. wait 10 years

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Loden Taylor posted:

"gently caress you, got mine" space capitalists but they give AI equal rights so it's impossible to say if they're bad or not

so space elon musks? gross

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this conversation's length is unironically nearing the extent of the BL lore about the leagues. there's the rulebook which has more but lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Back in early 2000s I remember browsing a 40K book and seeing an entry for Planetary Governor. Is that a standard thing for every edition or would it be in a specific book?

Planetary Governors are are a fairly standard part of 40k lore and show up in a lot of different places. They're generally the main imperial politicians ruling over a planet, though the specifics of their rule, roles, responsibilities, etc varies planet to planet or author to author

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

snergle posted:

naw thier poo poo actually works

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

snergle posted:

Not our AI, the real thing. They're humans who left Earth on generation ships like 35 thousand years ago. Because they broke from Earth before the 40k butlerian jyhad, they don't have the same prejudices towards AI that the rest of the Imperium does and consider their robots just as important as anyone else.

They know they're a human offshoot but play up being aliens because they don't want to deal with the Imperiums superstitious bullshit.

Though because they've developed an almost supernatural belief in the AI cores running their colony ships the cores are about 10-12k millenia past their shelf life and are starting get serious hard rive corruption.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

And old Squats still exist on worlds like necromunda which the Leagues cut off contact with during the Horus Heresy because they "Didnt Feel like dealing with the Imperiums bullshit" and just left the squats there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Loden Taylor posted:

There's also a few novels and bits in the codex where they'll exterminate their subjects/auxiliaries at the drop of a hat because they're terrified of warp stuff.

Well yeah that seems pretty smart

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Don't the LoV also hold a very Might is Right kinda of view on politics?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That doesn't exactly narrow it down in 40k.

Also learning about the Interex is funny since the Emperor couldn't recognise and/or couldn't stand someone doing what he's trying to do better than he was, so of course he had to wipe it out even in memory and learned nothing.

khwarezm posted:

I just like the way that, because of the aforementioned irritation that the Tau are too nice for the setting among a lot of people, there's often this undercurrent along the lines of 'Oh the Tau are actually evil! The Ethereals might use soft mind control, or at least mind influence, their society is highly regimented and they don't treat new races as full equals!' and then you compare that to the best of the other factions being xenocidal, hyper racist freaks who have a relentlessly oppressive, unequal, and coercive society, complete with far more crude and horrific forms of mind control if they need it, and I'll take being around the Ethereals making me more suggestible to their whims over that alternative. Hell even when talking about the Tau relationships with allied species like the Kroot, it just sounds like they leave them with massive amounts of autonomy and don't really even try to impose their culture on them so long as they pay taxes and recruit troops, more like some hands off Persian Empire type setup rather than a fascist police state.

In short, the worst thing about the Tau compared to any other faction is the... vibes I guess?

The Kroot to be fair seem to be exceptional as Tau allies in their autonomy, being almost on the Tau's level technologically (despite not looking it) and genuinely grateful to the Tau for saving their homeworld, but they're frequently shown as foils to the Tau in a lot of ways. They're cannibalistic carnivores while the Tau are herbivores; they're known to be cynical, pragmatic and have a dark and crude sense of humour where the Tau are idealistic, earnest and serious (though I think the pragmatism is another reason they get along overall) and the Kroot deliberately minimise their use of advanced technology to focus on physical development while the Tau are all about cutting edge tech.

Joining the Tau can also be a pragmatic move for your species overall in that the Tau may move your people around but will keep them alive. There's one reptilian species who joined the Tau after the Imperium destroyed their homeworld in their usual genocidal fashion, and naturally have a serious axe to grind.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 7, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Kroot to be fair seem to be exceptional as Tau allies in their autonomy, being almost on the Tau's level technologically (despite not looking it) and genuinely grateful to the Tau for saving their homeworld, but they're frequently shown as foils to the Tau in a lot of ways. They're cannibalistic carnivores while the Tau are herbivores; they're known to be cynical, pragmatic and have a dark and crude sense of humour where the Tau are idealistic, earnest and serious (though I think the pragmatism is another reason they get along overall) and the Kroot deliberately minimise their use of advanced technology to focus on physical development while the Tau are all about cutting edge tech.

That almost sounds like a species-wide buddy cop movie.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Gripweed posted:

There’s basically none. There’s like one upcoming novel featuring them that’s not even out yet, and the stuff in their extremely short Codex, and that’s it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tree Bucket posted:

That almost sounds like a species-wide buddy cop movie.

It's a classic dynamic for a reason.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Did any of the lore in "Xenology" get retconned out? I remember the big reveals from that folio were Orks and Eldar were created to fight the Necrons long ago and that devotees of the Laughing God may have created the Ethereal caste of Tau by transplanting organs from an alien hive-queen they kidnapped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like a lot of 40k media it may have give itself a retcon future-proof with the good ol' unreliable narrator, but it overall hasn't necessarily been conflicted. Perhaps because it's far more interesting that whether it's still canon or not doesn't necessarily materially change anything.

The Orks being an out of control bioweapon is probably reinforced if anything. Especially since it actually makes them the closest to Tolkein's Orcs of anything in fantasy, ha.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Yadoppsi posted:

Did any of the lore in "Xenology" get retconned out? I remember the big reveals from that folio were Orks and Eldar were created to fight the Necrons long ago and that devotees of the Laughing God may have created the Ethereal caste of Tau by transplanting organs from an alien hive-queen they kidnapped.

No the orks and eldar being creations of the old ones is solidly in the lore. Specifically though they made the Krork which are what the orks sort of devolved from. You know how orks get physically bigger, technologically able and psychically powerful the more fighting they do and how big a waaagh they gather into? Well Trayzn has a Krork in his museum collection and the thing is 12 metres tall and wearing armour that is compatible to astartes gear in sophistication.

The war of the beast books aren’t great but they do give an idea of what happens when orks start regaining some of that old power. The best bit is when they are shown to have an actual ambassador who clowns on the imperial senate on terra.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/s/YqIaf7Qab5

It’s also I guess sort of insinuated that Ghazghkull’s ascension and growth is the same process that created the antagonists in the war of the beast and it’s happening again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is a strong implication the Orks devolved into what they are simply because they no longer need to be as powerful as the Krorks were, since the power scaling of the galaxy has gone so downhill since the Heresy. And as they face more powerful foes, they scale back up to match...

A ton of what we consider the iconic weaponry of 40k is actually the third-tier at best stuff compared to what was around even in 30k, let alone the Dark Age of Technology. Space Marines used to primarily wield War of the Worlds esque ray guns, and use jetbikes equal to the Eldar's.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is a strong implication the Orks devolved into what they are simply because they no longer need to be as powerful as the Krorks were, since the power scaling of the galaxy has gone so downhill since the Heresy. And as they face more powerful foes, they scale back up to match...

A ton of what we consider the iconic weaponry of 40k is actually the third-tier at best stuff compared to what was around even in 30k, let alone the Dark Age of Technology. Space Marines used to primarily wield War of the Worlds esque ray guns, and use jetbikes equal to the Eldar's.

Yeah check out 'Priests of Mars', Golden Age of Humanity had tech equivalent/superior to Necron tech...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think it was during the Men of Iron, that it was less pewpew laser guns, and more reality altering doomsday devices for every serviceman.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the specific hilarious bullshit, among some others, was that the ship missed, then decided it didn't want to miss, wound back time and causality a bit and changed things so that it didn't miss. which is pretty similar to orikan's shenanigans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And basically the main thing that brought humanity down from that height is Chaos, since corruption and all means it turns your own might and technology against you, meaning pretty much all of the highest tech places of Dark Age humanity were the hardest hit by its various bullshit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Has anyone ever written a story about someone that fakes being an Inquisitor and gets away with it through sheer chuzpah?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Has anyone ever written a story about someone that fakes being an Inquisitor and gets away with it through sheer chuzpah?

Not quite what you're looking for and it was a game, but *****Space Marine*****.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One great bit of 40K lore I like is their answer to the question ‘why, when the Imperium decides to Exterminatus a planet, don’t they just drop an asteroid on it?’

Jervis Johnson posted:

Rocks are NOT ‘free’, citizen.
Firstly, you must manoeuvre the Emperor’s naval vessel within the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperor’s ship’s paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperor’s fuel.
Then the Tech Priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthiness to do the Emperor’s bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperor’s Servitors must use the Emperor’s auto-scrapers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the Tech Priests finished, the Emperor’s officers may begin manoeuvring the Emperor’s warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperor’s fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.
After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperor’s fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the Emperor’s desires, the Emperor’s ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still many weeks (or months) away.
After twiddling away the Emperor’s time and eating the Emperor’s food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperor’s enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact the planet (assuming that the Emperor’s ship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperor’s fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:
Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials
Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI
Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI
Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI
Paint, Titan class warship: 2.5 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI
Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasted with the following:
5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI
One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI
One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI
Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same result with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.
The Emperor, through this – His Office of Imperial Outlays – hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administratum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,
Bursarius Tenathis,
Purser Level XI,
Imperial Office of Outlays.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 7, 2024