Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Gripweed posted:

If they do a Friday the 13th 13, I hope they play it pretty straight. Do a straight up classic slasher that looks and feels like it could have been made in 1981.

As much as I want a new Friday, can they really go 1-8, Hell, X, Freddy vs., Remake, 13? I'm fine with Hell and Roman numeral 10, maybe even Freddy as #11, but the remake counting as #12 seems off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chris James 2 posted:

Another 47 Meters Down, this time directed by Patrick Lussier (Trick, Drive Angry 3D, My Bloody Valentine 3D) https://deadline.com/2024/05/47-meters-down-threequel-wreck-patrick-lussier-johannes-roberts-1235907043/

Didn't see that coming but, nice.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sono posted:

As much as I want a new Friday, can they really go 1-8, Hell, X, Freddy vs., Remake, 13? I'm fine with Hell and Roman numeral 10, maybe even Freddy as #11, but the remake counting as #12 seems off.

Saw dropped numbers between VI and X.

EDIT: I'm leaving this here as proof of my idiocy as I completely misunderstood your post.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sono posted:

It’s been a while since I saw the 2009 movie, but from what I recall there’s nothing that explicitly makes it a reboot, right? The movie doesn’t try to act like Jason never killed anyone before it starts, and it’s not like the main series was super-tight with its timeline.

Even the scene where he finds the mask could be read as him just finding another one and putting it on because it’s familiar.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the 2009 movie is a soft reboot but you can slot it into the main series just fine its not like friday the 13th has strong continuity lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think jason is supposed to be a normal human in the 2009 movie and not a zombie but it doesnt really matter

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too. It's a "reboot" or "remake" in the loosest way and it's in the one franchise that could get away with a retitling. Toss a fun subtitle on it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Chris James 2 posted:

Another 47 Meters Down, this time directed by Patrick Lussier (Trick, Drive Angry 3D, My Bloody Valentine 3D) https://deadline.com/2024/05/47-meters-down-threequel-wreck-patrick-lussier-johannes-roberts-1235907043/

rad. the second one rules way more than it has any right to

i didn't think i wanted a shark found footage but it turns out i needed it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I always contemplate how we could've had like ten more Freddy's Dead rear end sequel movies and I mourn that motherfuckers with the wrong opinions ruined that for me.
That movie rocks and i will always stand by that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I always contemplate how we could've had like ten more Freddy's Dead rear end sequel movies and I mourn that motherfuckers with the wrong opinions ruined that for me.
That movie rocks and i will always stand by that.

I hate a lot of this movie, from the hokey dream demons to John Doe not really being important at all.

But there is something legitimately haunting about the idea of Freddy killing every kid and teenager in an entire town and the town just moving on as the parents go completely insane from grief. Maybe just not with Roseanne as one of those parents, I dunno.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Excuse me but best NOES films ranked, I'm sure this is a pretty common order:

1.) Freddy's Dead
2.) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3.) Dream Warriors
4.) The Dream Child
5.) Freddy's Revenge
6.) The Dream Master

Honorable Mention:
Tobe Hooper's The Mangler

Boring 2000s super pedophile one does not get the honor of being ranked. I haven't seen Freddy v Jason in 20,000 years or so so I can't really say anything bout that.
That is my actual ranking because I'm a sicko who's always in sicko mode.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

1. Dream Warriors
2. The rest

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Freddy vs Jason
The Dream Master

Original
Dream Warriors
Freddy's Dead
Freddy's Revenge
New Nightmare

Remake
The Dream Child

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Between Idle Hands, Final Destination, and Chucky, Devon Sawa is firmly a genre vet at this point, yes?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

My big takeaway from Freddy’s Dead was this is the one that killed the franchise? There’s some classic poo poo in that one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Between Idle Hands, Final Destination, and Chucky, Devon Sawa is firmly a genre vet at this point, yes?

Always has been

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

My big takeaway from Freddy’s Dead was this is the one that killed the franchise? There’s some classic poo poo in that one.

It's just a divisive one I think because it asks the audience to go in with almost like a sci-fi mindset. You have this dystopian alternate reality that has its own rules and you learn about it as the movie goes on just like you might in a sci-fi film. Not everyone in a slasher crowd is going to be into that, a lot of people just wanted to see the usual group of teens going up against Freddy in the usual context.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was a pretty boring movie with boring kills tbh felt really phoned in and people were getting burned out on freddy by that point

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Freddy’s Dead is deeply unpleasent and I don’t know what iconic moments jump out at you bc I see nothing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Freddy’s Dead is deeply unpleasent and I don’t know what iconic moments jump out at you bc I see nothing.

the power glove and thats it for me lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
freddy was just a cartoon character and i like freddy being funny but he wasnt even threatening anymore

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lmao John carpenter just beelining straight to the video game soundtracks when he went to amoeba records.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2024

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I fuckin love the stupid-rear end Wile E Coyote gag of him pushing the bed of spikes.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I don’t know how to explain that “blatant 3D gimmick segment that plays like one of those motion simulator rides they have at the mall where you ride down a haunted mine shaft” is iconic, but it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think it is

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
freddy's at his best when he's just really mean like in part 3

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
maybe part 1 too... him chasing Tina during her nightmare and its obvious he's toying with her the entire time is scary

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think it is

https://youtu.be/LnBxmIC2OVM?si=xJ4_7jUhgD2jtR-R

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Dogg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffStLyZ0FEw&t=182s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
DOGG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RG4iCmljGE

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love Nightmare 3 so much. It just has that perfect mix of everything good about the series.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Freddy’s Dead is way too goofy and slapstick to still try and do a bunch of child abuse stuff.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
See also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoM8UcB8tIg

WeaponX posted:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just watched Phase IV and glad I did, cuz that movie is fantastic.

How the gently caress can ants act?!

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 7, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Freddy’s Dead is way too goofy and slapstick to still try and do a bunch of child abuse stuff.

its such a weird loving movie lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nightmare on elm street 2 freddy embodies a young man's repressed homosexuality and once he accepts he might be gay freddy comes out at a party and kills everyone only for him to repress his homosexuality once again to stop freddy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Part 2 is fascinating because everybody involved insisted they had no idea what anyone was talking about regarding the gay subtext and then around 2010 they were suddenly all “Oh yeah, we knew, it was obvious”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Just watched Phase IV and glad I did, cuz that movie is fantastic.

How the gently caress can ants act?!

It's an incredible film.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

freddy was just a cartoon character and i like freddy being funny but he wasnt even threatening anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

this was the first time i ever saw freddy lol i was a small child and my older cousins rented freddy's dead and child's play 2... scared the hell out of me