Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The sole exception is (Royal) when all the Phantom Thieves get brainwashed, and he is able to go outside and have a single conversation, after which he immediately has to go home and into bed. They're pretty exhausting conversations, granted, but that is the capacity he has to act on his own. The cat is a critically important emotional support animal and we should be grateful he grants Joker the ability to go outside at all.

Wait, that's a plot point in Royal? Thank god I only played Vanilla. I really don't wanna deal with that poo poo. It's bad enough I had to deal with it at the beginning of Tactica. How many times are those drat kids gonna get brainwashed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, that's a plot point in Royal? Thank god I only played Vanilla. I really don't wanna deal with that poo poo. It's bad enough I had to deal with it at the beginning of Tactica. How many times are those drat kids gonna get brainwashed?

It’s extremely brief and thematically relevant. I get your trepidation because I hate brainwashing plots too, but it’s thankfully not bad - just one convo per character, a couple of battles (only one against a teammate, thank God, and it's a good one) and you’re back in business. You really should play Royal; 5 vanilla just isn’t as good.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 7, 2024

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
When I bought 3 Reload, which I'm loving, I also bought 5. How is 5? If I like 3 Reload, will I like 5?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

It's a very temporary situation. You don't end up having to fight your friends or anything, you just go around talking them into helping you and then it's breaking into a Palace time like always.

Royal's 3rd semester is really really really good

Chump Farts posted:

When I bought 3 Reload, which I'm loving, I also bought 5. How is 5? If I like 3 Reload, will I like 5?

Did you get Royal or vanilla 5?

Anyway 5 is my personal favorite. It's wildly stylish, the gameplay is really smooth (will feel very familiar after P3R), and I like that it has handcrafted dungeons with setpieces and stuff instead of procedurally generated levels. The story's somewhat divisive but honestly I think I could say that about any of these.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chump Farts posted:

Probably! It’s a different tone overall but you’ll undoubtedly see how a lot of the gameplay mechanics from 5 led to 3R’s.

\/yeah I hope Atlus keeps doing that with future editions

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 7, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I appreciate about 5 in retrospect now that I've played P3R is the much larger enemy variety in 5 (at least aesthetically). In 5, they just use persona models as the shadows you fight, which means that you run into a really wide variety of enemies, just like the demons you fight in an SMT game, instead of palette swaps of the same dozen or so types of shadows.

I already liked that in 5 compared to 3 and 4, but playing P3R made me remember just how refreshing it was to see a wide variety of enemies in 5.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Harrow posted:

It's a very temporary situation. You don't end up having to fight your friends or anything, you just go around talking them into helping you and then it's breaking into a Palace time like always.

Royal's 3rd semester is really really really good

Did you get Royal or vanilla 5?

Anyway 5 is my personal favorite. It's wildly stylish, the gameplay is really smooth (will feel very familiar after P3R), and I like that it has handcrafted dungeons with setpieces and stuff instead of procedurally generated levels. The story's somewhat divisive but honestly I think I could say that about any of these.

Royal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Then yeah you're probably going to have a great time. Royal's really really good. Like Majorian said, very different tone from 3, but still definitely Persona. A lot will be really familiar.

That said P5R is also really, really, really loving long so be ready for that. Maybe like 50% longer than P3 depending on how thorough you are.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

Same here. The only two I've played are P5R and P3R, in that order, and P5R is the clear winner to me largely based on the strength of the design. Going through handcrafted dungeons with consistent themes felt so much better than just slamming more boring floors of a proc-gen tower.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Harrow posted:

I was thinking about this while playing P3R lol, these kids are nuts. I doubt I'd even be able to manage Junpei's level of "doing just well enough not to get expelled" while doing all the other poo poo SEES does.

they also have an extra hour of sleep so idkkk

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

I was thinking about this while playing P3R lol, these kids are nuts. I doubt I'd even be able to manage Junpei's level of "doing just well enough not to get expelled" while doing all the other poo poo SEES does.

It feels worse for the P3 characters because they have to do it at Literally Midnight, which is pretty crazy for some teenagers attending high school.

Though with all the Persona characters, they don't really treat it like "fighting to the potential death." The danger is sort of abstracted away, probably because there's no realistic way to present such a scenario that wouldn't involve the cast being terrified and miserable constantly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Midnight is when teenagers are at their peak mentally and physically. At least I was.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Midnight is when teenagers are at their peak mentally and physically. At least I was.

I was apparently a weirdo because I went to bed at 10-11 and thought a couple of my friends were insane for going to bed at 1:00 or 2:00. Our school started at 7:15am though*; I think most other places start at 8:15am? And you still have to get up at the same time in the morning (in my case there was a ~20 minute commute, so I had to wake up around 6:15). It wasn't until college that I started staying up later, due to usually not needing to get up as early (I deliberately avoided scheduling anything earlier than like 10:00am after my first semester).

But even when staying up later isn't that hard, it'd still be hard to do some major physical exertion that late when you'd already had a full day of activities.

* I wonder if they changed this, because it was always kind of hosed up. Feels bad to drive to school while it's still dark outside during portions of the year, and it made things harder on parents as well

edit: I think one big distinction between P3 and P4 is that I never really got the impression most of the P4 cast was doing much aside from the investigation team activities. None of your party except maybe Naoto is really "type-A". But in P3 you have Mitsuru who is an over-achiever in all things, Akihiko who is an overachiever at boxing, and I get the general impression that Yukari is also pretty "on top of things" even if she isn't as extreme as Mitsuru. And Fuuka somehow became a hacker or something. Ken is a, uh, child soldier.

So I guess I would have to agree about the P4 cast being more grounded, in the sense that most of them seem to be pretty average in terms of academics/hobbies and seem to have zero problem balancing their Persona-related duties. Rise is an ex-idol, but is currently just bumming around.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 8, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I had played through vanilla almost 2 full times to try to get the platinum trophy then gave up before the cruise ship because I really didn't want to do the cruise ship again.
I can't imagine re-buying the game and re-playing through it another time. As much as I enjoyed it when it came out.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I had played through vanilla almost 2 full times to try to get the platinum trophy then gave up before the cruise ship because I really didn't want to do the cruise ship again.
I can't imagine re-buying the game and re-playing through it another time. As much as I enjoyed it when it came out.

Fwiw they made the cruise ship way less annoying. Or at least, I remember it being way worse in the original release compared to when I played it last year on PC

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

:same:

I did pull myself together and cleared for the extra parts though and it was worth it when it came to PC. Then I just lost all my motivation soon after that ending so I haven't done New Game+ yet.

The good news is that it goes on sale a lot so more people discuss the game all the time.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Schubalts posted:

Yes, Yu is only living with Dojima because his parents didn't want to drag him to a completely new area just to drag him back a year later. Dojima, his uncle, was willing to take care of him for the year, and he only lives one train ride away from Yu's actual house.
:v: Yu rides 3 trains in the opening animation of Persona 4. First he rides a green train called the Inoue headed in the direction of Akihabara (this would be a fictional version of the green Yamanote).
He then rides the red and beige colored "Atorasu" (Atlus) train to Yasogami Station (a parody of the Azusa train).
He then changes trains again at that station to the local Inaba line, which is a different car with different seats, which then takes him to the Inaba city center (called Yasoinaba).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Woah our first train otaku protag

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ChrisBTY posted:

I phrased it flippantly because it was tangential to my point, but as mentioned it actually works well in Royal. It is chiefly a story device and it works in context, whereas in Tactica it mostly served as an excuse to drip feed you party members instead of starting you off with a whole roster. Royal has a segment where you're stuck with Joker and some non-PT party members for a bit, but you get all the Phantom Thieves back with no hassle when the intro segment is over.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also unrelated, but Morgana gets an undeserved bad rap. He never actually forces Joker to go to bed, on the contrary, Joker is incapable of leaving the house if he's alone. He can go to school, and somewhere else if he's invited by someone to keep him company, but whenever Morgana isn't around, he spends all of his free time moping in his room. He gets too depressed to even play video games because he saw a pawprint in the dust and remembered that he's alone.

There is a serious difference between Morgana's level of hurrying you to bed and literally preventing you leaving LeBlanc in Vanilla and Royal. They realised they'd gone more than a bit too far in Vanilla and cut several lines in Royal that can appear basically daily. If you've only played Royal you're right - but I don't think you'd be saying this if you'd played Vanilla.

ChrisBTY posted:

You can platinum Royal in a single playthrough. And the cruise ship (and the spaceport other than the final boss) are massively less annoying in Royal. And despite the extra content the length of the game is about the same; they've trimmed bits and pieces including the length of the loading screen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm vaguely aware that Vanilla is worse, but I don't think it changes the causality. Morgana isn't forcing Joker to remain on the premises; Joker stays inside because he is incapable of leaving if Morgana does not agree to accompany him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

One thing I appreciate about 5 in retrospect now that I've played P3R is the much larger enemy variety in 5 (at least aesthetically). In 5, they just use persona models as the shadows you fight, which means that you run into a really wide variety of enemies, just like the demons you fight in an SMT game, instead of palette swaps of the same dozen or so types of shadows.

I already liked that in 5 compared to 3 and 4, but playing P3R made me remember just how refreshing it was to see a wide variety of enemies in 5.

It makes the enemies much more fun to fight as it means you can kind know what they are going to do and how to counter them without either looking up guides or getting lucky.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also if you bought Royal I heartily endorse getting Strikers. Gameplay is different for sure but it also patches up some of the lingering issues from Royal (they were developed in tandem). Also it's got a great soundtrack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know the Persona 5 anime is pretty bad but drat if the music isn't great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6spePumDz1A

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also if you bought Royal I heartily endorse getting Strikers. Gameplay is different for sure but it also patches up some of the lingering issues from Royal (they were developed in tandem). Also it's got a great soundtrack.

Not least of which it allows Ryuji to say 'gently caress'.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Replaying 5r after P3 and man I forgot how goofy the frame story cut-ins are for social links lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao yeah those get real silly real fast

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

Replaying 5r after P3 and man I forgot how goofy the frame story cut-ins are for social links lol

They're sort of so ridiculous that they wrap around to being really funny at a certain point

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
P5R is delightful, but "Time To Make History" is still my favorite track.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

P5R is delightful, but "Time To Make History" is still my favorite track.

But they fight over place in it
Yeah, they fight over place in it

A couple funny parts like the above aside, Time To Make History actually seems to "flow" much better than most English Persona songs (which usually have a ton of parts that feel unnaturally paced, like someone was awkwardly trying to fit some English lyrics to a melody with limited success). The pre-chorus and chorus both flow very naturally.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jon Irenicus posted:

To be fair P3R does that too for the main story, and they’re no less silly (in fact probably more so since they interrupt dialogue rather than happening at the same time).

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

They're sort of so ridiculous that they wrap around to being really funny at a certain point

FOR REAL?!?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ApplesandOranges posted:

To be fair P3R does that too for the main story, and they’re no less silly (in fact probably more so since they interrupt dialogue rather than happening at the same time).

I think they meant Sae going "Somebody must have taught you to tie your own shoelaces! Tell me everything!".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah that is kinda goofy yeah,

Would have been better if they saved those interruptions only for party members and maybe Sojiro.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
disagree, those all rule

especially the dumbest ones, like "I have reports that you can do sick backflips" and "for some reason we know about your expertise with imaginary guns, and you had better spill the beans before we arrest a literal child for the crime of playing video games with you."

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
My favorite is "Who taught you to make lockpicks and smoke bombs?".
"You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’ve never seen someone jack off with such tenacity. Who taught you how to work your meat???

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’ve never seen someone jack off with such tenacity. Who taught you how to work your meat???

Pretty sure answering this leads to a nonstandard game over.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

disagree, those all rule

especially the dumbest ones, like "I have reports that you can do sick backflips" and "for some reason we know about your expertise with imaginary guns, and you had better spill the beans before we arrest a literal child for the crime of playing video games with you."

Yeah, I think the writers are in on the joke for those.

e: "Hmmmm...SOMEONE must have taught you to be hot for your teacher...yet you're clearly too young to know who Van Halen is. WHO TAUGHT YOU TO BE HOT FOR TEACHER?!"

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Too bad the Velvet Room people didn't get those scenes as well.

"You must have been good at turning imaginary brain monsters into new ones. WHO TAUGHT YOU THIS?"
"Lady, you're not going to believe this..."