Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gaius Marius posted:

How do I get piss yellow anime subs back?

Hell yeah. If we are talking about the classic "you downloaded this file and it has yellow subtitles you can't turn off" those are "burned-in" to the picture and that's a stylistic choice by the person who did the work.

Most subtitles are considered "overlay" subtitles. You have a picture base that you distribute all around to different territories and then the subtitles are an additional file that runs simultaneously. The territory then has the freedom to show the film as subbed or non-subbed. They flip a switch and it'll use the subtitle files.

For certain territories, the subtitles get "burned-in" to the picture. You cannot turn these subtitles off and the only way you can play that film package is as the subtitled version.

A lot of streaming platforms have started adding subtitle customization - allowing you to change the size, color, and font of the subtitles. When it comes to in-theater subtitles, they all run off a standard.

Sometimes, certain films will have customized subtitles that are stylized to the film. This is only for very very big budget features. Avatar 2 is one I can think of off the top of my head. With these ones, they're burned in and require picture replacements for each territory - which balloons the file sizes and hence why most films/territories do not do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Better Call Jettster.

Please do not will this into being

Instead we shall call Jeffster

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

josh04 posted:

This is bait and I'm not taking it!

yes the other films have minatures and such but the digital filming and compositing leaves a lot to be desired.

episode 1 does a fantastic job of integrating the cgi/minatures into the live action footage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Phantom Menace is the only one shot in 35mm therefore it’s the best of the PT (if the first 25 minutes of RotS could be counted as its own thing that would be the best one, but it can’t, so)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the first 25 minutes of rots are kind of a drag. the stuff with Palpatine going ham, and the final duel with the best music in the star wars saga is the poo poo that matters

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
All of the prequels were poo poo. Sorry, the first two I know were poo poo and I could not be bothered to watch the third. They are not worth discussing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

the first 25 minutes of rots are kind of a drag. the stuff with Palpatine going ham, and the final duel with the best music in the star wars saga is the poo poo that matters

What the gently caress are you talking about. Imperial March is the best Star Wars song, followed close by the New Hope theme, and then in the prequels the best song is clearly duel of the fates.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The duel on the lava planet is so ridiculously long and stupid.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think it's meant to be allegorical. She wants this big romantic storybook cosmic love but it turns out you can't have that in the real "modern" world and is forced to either keep the idea in the Land of the Abstract or kill it.

The whole movie is like that, it's about things being tucked away and abstracted and lying in wait and being mythologized.

Also the whole movie is about the duel sided beauty and danger of love. Some of the tales feature destructive and obsessive love. And her making the Djinn her lover brings him into the modern world which begins to kill him. She has to learn to let him come and go on his terms.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

All of the prequels were poo poo. Sorry, the first two I know were poo poo and I could not be bothered to watch the third. They are not worth discussing.

Honestly this is very accurate

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Air Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Imperial March is the best Star Wars song, followed close by the New Hope theme, and then in the prequels the best song is clearly duel of the fates.

Nope. ROTS score is the best.

deal wit it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I plain switched off Atomic Blonde because the Netflix version didn't have the captions for all the Russian+German dialogue

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly this is very accurate

It’s like comparing two piles of poo poo to see which one has more corn.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CelticPredator posted:

yes the other films have minatures and such but the digital filming and compositing leaves a lot to be desired.

episode 1 does a fantastic job of integrating the cgi/minatures into the live action footage.

So is the important part the cool models and practical effects or is it using CG to achieve a seamless image? I'm holistic, I don't mind either way, but if you want to make a virtue out of doing practical effects then I don't think you can avoid talking about the 33ft Mustafar miniature from RotS and saying "oh, well you can see they're green-screened in" feels like moving the goalposts.

e: mock away, intellectual snobs! I love my space slop!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People don’t know the difference and will use composite for bad cgi.

See Alien 3 which was done using a rod puppet, but it looks like rear end and like bad cgi.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

therattle posted:

It’s like comparing two piles of poo poo to see which one has more corn.

And the design of the trade federation war machines? That’s the corn!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The prequels are better than the original SW trilogy but the best SW movie is The Last Jedi.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I disagree with the first part but The Last Jedi is so blatantly the best SW movie and anyone who disagrees is someone who likes the franchise more than they like movies tbh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thinking about that film is exhausting to me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't seen any of the sequel trilogy recently enough to say, but TLJ did have me hopeful that the sequel trilogy would be about something, but it turns out that "casting aside nostalgia/sentimentality for its own sake" is too big an ask for the audience

But also yes everything surrounding that movie just made me so exhausted with Star War for a while

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still like Star Wars but I just try to keep my interactions with it minimal. Like once every few months I’ll start yapping about it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

While we are talking about subtitles I have a question.

You know how widescreen aspect ratios have black bars surrounding the picture? Why not stick the subtitles there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because those black bars are technically not part of the picture

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We have the technology to put words on moving pictures. We could use that technology to put them on empty black bar instead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't seen any of the sequel trilogy recently enough to say, but TLJ did have me hopeful that the sequel trilogy would be about something, but it turns out that "casting aside nostalgia/sentimentality for its own sake" is too big an ask for the audience

it was too big an ask even for TLJ

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Listen there's only one rubric I use to judge movies and it cannot be questioned or tested: if I liked it that means it was practical SFX by ppl with high Care Levels and if I didn't then it was CGI and no one involved cared (yet it was finished and reached me somehow)

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Good thing it's really easy to tell which parts are CG.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Gaius Marius posted:

How do I get piss yellow anime subs back?

They did that as a matter of course for everything state TV in Australia and i miss it on streaming. It's white and gets lost and unreadable or its backed by black bars and it's weirdly intrusive

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Detective No. 27 posted:

We have the technology to put words on moving pictures. We could use that technology to put them on empty black bar instead.

Yeah, that's not something I have any knowledge of the working. Non-theatrical stuff is a big mystery to me.

I think the Youtube app will utilize the black bars if I recall correctly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

As has been said, the black part is not actually a part of the video stream. Could it be encoded as such and the subtitles put there? Probably but it also has unintended consequences. Projectors are one example - you normally want your projector image to fill the screen. That's one of the draws of a projector, getting the biggest, most movie theater like image possible.

What if consumers decide they want 2.35:1 displays instead of the current standard 1.85:1? Sound impossible? We've already had one such paradigm shift in the last 20 years. If that were to happen, all subtitles-in-the-margin films will become both letterboxed and pillar boxes, the actual movie will be surrounded by black bars on all 4 sides.

Most importantly, it would require the movies be encoded differently, which means effort and expense and would need sufficient demand to get the studios to make this change. This demand doesn't exist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Well, my bad movie streak has been broken. Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom kicks rear end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fuckin' hell, this is ludicrous.

Why is it so hard to find affordable acoustic pyramid soundproofing foam wall panels in the same exact color as in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? What's the goddamn point of a hyperconnected global economy if I can't even make my soundproofed wall look like the cool one from the movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

practical effects are cool as hell and I'll def enjoy a film way more if they use them. I've always been into monster effects so that's what I like to see

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Waffleman_ posted:

Not the best, but not the worst!

Also one thing I had never noticed, one of Anakin's friends on Tatooine is a little girl whose braces you can still very clearly see so they do have orthodonty for these desert slaves

It's one of those things where the slavery on Tatooine is more like pre-modern slavery where a slave is property but also considered an investment and a potentially temporary status, like in Greece or Rome, rather than the gleeful sadism and degraded status of American chattel slavery. (Which, to be fair, it's probably not a bad first association for people to have to demonstrate the worst excess the whole concept lends itself to) Especially in a setting that already has droids as chattel (and thus C-3PO starts out as a slave owned by a slave!) and thus if Watto wanted purely expendable labour he can get that probably cheaper, and iirc does considering he has several droids in the junk shop. Shmi and Anakin are valued specifically for their technical skills, and their home is a workshop, Watto even allows and encourages Anakin to have free time and hobbies to develop the technical and practical skills that make him so useful to the point where Watto doesn't want to part with him. (And of course, that shows how much of a double-edged sword the status of being a valued slave is.) If the other little girl is indeed a slave it's entirely possible her owner considers basic medical care similarly a sensible long-term investment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anakin’s life doesn’t seem so bad with what’s shown. He goes to his job. Builds ships. Watto is a dick but that’s not exclusive to being a slave.

He has food on the table. He’s not starving. The only thing he can’t do is leave the planet but tbh besides him saying it I don’t feel like he cares ya know? Luke says it and we get that moment with him alone yearning to escape

Idk why Lucas didn’t do that for anakin.

Anyway yeah he did a bad job of showing Anakin’s hardships

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's kinda the point, though, I think, it adds additional ambiguity to Qui-Gon's choices, and deliberately contrasts Luke's later fate. It's a call to adventure from a hard but survivable status quo, compared to Luke being caught up in a war that's come to him and firsthand experiencing the Empire's brutality. Anakin even returns to Tatooine to find that status quo interrupted by the ups and downs of life and then by tragedy, while Luke only returns to handle a friend's unfinished business.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kinda the point, though, I think, it adds additional ambiguity to Qui-Gon's choices, and deliberately contrasts Luke's later fate. It's a call to adventure from a hard but survivable status quo, compared to Luke being caught up in a war that's come to him and firsthand experiencing the Empire's brutality. Anakin even returns to Tatooine to find that status quo interrupted by the ups and downs of life and then by tragedy, while Luke only returns to handle a friend's unfinished business.

I'd go even further -- Anankin's life on Tatooine would have been better if he had never left. He's got enough midichlorians / hero's journey energy to ensure he'd have a good life pretty much wherever he was, so while his life on Tatooine would have had ups and downs I reckon he'd have eventually had a good life. I like to think he'd have led a slave uprising, defeated Jabba years before his downfall in the original trilogy. I seriously doubt his mother would have been abducted if Anankin was still around.

Given this read, Qi Gon taking Anakin away from that planet essentially dooms it to a much worse existence before its eventual liberation at the end of the original trilogy. So that's maybe a bit Dune-y, but I like the parallel with the son finishing off the father's unfinished work.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
He has a fuckin explosive device in his head to keep him from runnin off!

Slavery doesn't become neutral when the enslaved has a lenient or indulgent owner, anymore than oppression depends on the negative emotion felt by an individual.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Blood Boils posted:

He has a fuckin explosive device in his head to keep him from runnin off!

Slavery doesn't become neutral when the enslaved has a lenient or indulgent owner, anymore than oppression depends on the negative emotion felt by an individual.

Yeah, that line of arguments feels like when people claim prisoners have it too good when they have, like, a chair and a desk in their cell.

The point isn't how uncomfortable their furniture is, it's that they aren't loving free. Same with slavery, it doesn't matter that Anakin has a hobby when Watto can just arbitrarily decide he's had enough. There is no mutually benificent slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lotta talk in the prequels. Coulda used more show.

This will of course be refuted and argued but come on