Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Does it work on capitals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
It doesn't work on mountain provinces... not sure about capitals, but I don't see anything specifically saying it doesn't? That could be a delightful way to really annoy someone late game - unlikely to really derail someone who's not already basically dead if you're that late, but it'll sure piss em off!

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Turn 20

A little more going on this turn - only 1 battle, but some action on the throne claiming side of things.

In addition to our prophet claiming the Throne of Knowledge, it also looks like Asphodel (the vengeful nature undead) has claimed the throne of water.

The throne of water is... kinda low-key great? +3 defense is pretty huge, lowering hit chances by at least a third in most circumstances, if not more. The bonus gems are always nice, and the recruitables are W3 mages; high path mages are always very welcome.

Aside from that, we also have this fun pair of randoms - makes you wonder where those gems *really* came from. Maybe we need to get our top colossi on the case, sniff out what's really going on in the seedy wizard underbelly of the empire.

Anyways, on to the main event - our assault on the peninsula throne.

On our side, we have a pretty similar composition but we've also added one of our cap-only Colossi queens to bring some debuff support.

On the indie side, still the same defenders as when we scouted the throne out a few turns ago. Note how our small squad of archers and human infantry matches up with the heavy cavalry at the top - this is what "lance catchers" do, get in front of the cav and absorb their single charge bonus attack.

As the lines close, we can see a new spell in action - Cloud of Dreamless Slumber. This spell creates a "cloud" on the battlefield, which will effect any unit that wanders into it. There's a lot of different types, but this one puts a unit to sleep. Units that fail a magic resistance check start to snooze, and won't take any action until they're woken up (most likely by violence, or if the cloud dissipates). One of the weaknesses of cavalry is that the actual horses tend to have very low magic resistance, so the hope is the sleep clouds will knock them out and let us get some good hits in.

We can see this having a good effect when the lines close a little more - sleep clouds land right on the enemy side of the front line and put most of the cav to sleep. Our guys are free to chop away and make pretty quick work of what's normally a quite durable indie type. You can also see some imps in the backlines - blood mages, like the indie defenders here, love to spam summon imps which can actually be really effective in picking off mages. We have enough reserve troops to catch them, but they can be a real nuisance.

Of course, one of the issues with sleep clouds is they're rather indiscriminate - our troops are more magic resistant than the horses, but a few are still put to sleep - especially when they double back to try and murder a rogue imp or two.

Still, we have enough troops to make a general advance and quickly rout the human militia, just leaving the horse tribe cav in the back that have been peppering us with arrows. They haven't been very effective against our shielded troops, and now there's nothing between them and our army.

Shortly after that, the lines engage and almost as quickly the horse tribe are routed - you can see some kind of ice spell landing from one of our mages and freezing one of the poor riderless horses. As I've mentioned before, off-script mages will cast more or anything they have access to, so you can get some big surprises sometimes.

Our battle results show a very clean win - one light colossi and a few militia are very well within acceptable losses.

And, our prize!

The crystal throne is also quite good - the gems are nice, and the recruitable is a 2E/2G mage. Those are actually quite good paths - the two glamor boosters take G3 and G3/E2, respectively, so boosting one of these guys up to G3 gets us full access to both. One of the earth boosters also only requires E2, so these guys can forge those as well. These are also pretty great combat paths - E2 can summon spartae with no boosts needed ad cast some pretty strong buffs, and G2's can also do some really useful stuff. We'll want to grab a lot of these guys; they complement our troops really well.

For movement this turn, we don't have a ton going on - we're starting to move our prophet from the throne of knowledge to our new throne to grab it, moving commanders into place to build some new forts, and moving our full army stack down to the tip of our peninsula. The tip that happens to, oh, I dunno - allow full access to all of T'ien Ch'i's coastal provinces :getin:

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2024

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Do we already know - or suspect - if other nations have gone into all out conflict? Or does it so far look more like low-key border friction while everyone waits for the next person to make a move?

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

Mindopali posted:

Do we already know - or suspect - if other nations have gone into all out conflict? Or does it so far look more like low-key border friction while everyone waits for the next person to make a move?

We haven't seen any fighting to-date, my scouts are still slowly working their way to uncovering the full map (and then saturating it - you only get battle reports if you have a scout sitting in the actual province).

From a more meta perspective, I'm not actually sure when global conflicts start - I think there was some griping about players bumping into each other around now, but I don't think anyone else was fully at war. That will definitely change though; things don't stay peaceful for long in dominions.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

DarthRoblox posted:

From a more meta perspective, I'm not actually sure when global conflicts start - I think there was some griping about players bumping into each other around now, but I don't think anyone else was fully at war. That will definitely change though; things don't stay peaceful for long in dominions.

It usually depends a lot on timing, builds and nations. If someone feels pushed into a corner by expansion, they might see an early war as their only chance of breaking it, or someone's build might rely on annihilating someone else year 1 to avoid getting choked by their own bad scales(in another game, someone tried to drop a dragon on my cap, halfway through the first year, to attempt to domkill me), or someone might've decided to jump a player who had a clearly poor starting expansion, and then any of those things can sometimes touch off other people deciding to join in, diplomatic misunderstandings can blossom into wars, etc.

But usually the more certain global conflicts start off around 1.5 or 2 years in, once people have taken out all their neighbouring indies, start jostling for thrones, start feeling like they have the necessary research to prosecute a war successfully or perhaps someone setting up a global that marks them as a danger(like a very early gemgen, etc.).

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

PurpleXVI posted:

(in another game, someone tried to drop a dragon on my cap, halfway through the first year, to attempt to domkill me)

lol, details please. I don't know enough of the spells/summons to know what this refers to.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Akratic Method posted:

lol, details please. I don't know enough of the spells/summons to know what this refers to.

Oh it was literally a dragon, his god, combined with stealthy H2 and H3 priests. The attempt failed but completely hosed up my expansion because my God had to waste time running around chasing it to kill it.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

DarthRoblox posted:

We haven't seen any fighting to-date, my scouts are still slowly working their way to uncovering the full map (and then saturating it - you only get battle reports if you have a scout sitting in the actual province).

"Things don't stay peaceful for long in dominions."

Hehe.
Us wiping out a nation off the map right at the start somewhat clued me in on the impermanent nature of peace in this game.

From previous LP's I read I got the feeling that players also like to negotiate who to defend against or pay for some calm on at least one front when stuff gets violent. I guess if your neighbor's communication remains calm, then things haven't heated up too much yet.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 7, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mindopali posted:

From previous LP's I read I got the feeling that players also like to negotiate who to defend against or pay for some calm on at least one front when stuff gets violent. I guess if your neighbor's communication remains calm, then things haven't heated up too much yet.

A lot of players are quiet, even when things go badly, which can be both a strength and a weakness. Because if I DM you and go "hey we should attack Man together :)" it could either indicate that I want my victory to go a bit more easily... or that I am a nice weak target that you can own from one end while Man is owning the other, which is why it's usually weakness to reach out to potential third parties that only border your enemy, not yourself, so things can't go haywire.

Personally I just swap into "spite mode" if someone's really on a winning roll against me, at which point I start disregarding my own future play in favour of being willing to buy allies for three-digit gem numbers. I feel like it contributes to a mythos where attacking me is a poor idea.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally I just swap into "spite mode" if someone's really on a winning roll against me, at which point I start disregarding my own future play in favour of being willing to buy allies for three-digit gem numbers. I feel like it contributes to a mythos where attacking me is a poor idea.

Playing the really, really long-term meta game.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Mindopali posted:

It depends on the players' temperament. I'll respond to diplomacy when others initiate it, but mostly I just start drawing big arrows on the map when it feels like my armies are lying around not doing anything. Wrangling all your neighbors is :effort: and often moving first is what keeps you safe.
Though it helps to have strong logistics like flying, stealth or in this case sailing to strike quickly and present a fait accompli; if you're taking one province a turn with a single doomstack it's a lot more time for someone else to stab you while you're distracted.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's only one ironclad rule: if both parties agree on a trade, you need to follow through with it. Otherwise, everything else is fair game -- there's only going to be one Pantokrator in the end.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
There’s definitely an interesting meta culture that develops in long term communities - I’ve osmoted some of the community drama from being a curious onlooker for years, but people definitely remember when someone’s lovely or fails to follow through on specific agreements.

I feel like that’s less of a factor in this particular game because most of the players have done <5 games and are mostly unknowns, but you really only get to gently caress someone over once before people just plain stop trusting you

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
I've been taking a look at some of the older Dominions games posted to this forum to get context for this one, and I'm very interested in the new cave layer. Is it really any good at all? It seems like another "well, there are two or three nations that want to be underwater and nobody else touches it" sort of deal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Numbus26 posted:

I've been taking a look at some of the older Dominions games posted to this forum to get context for this one, and I'm very interested in the new cave layer. Is it really any good at all? It seems like another "well, there are two or three nations that want to be underwater and nobody else touches it" sort of deal.

The cave layer has a couple of issues, primarily tied to the way its generated by default.

Firstly, it generally has far nastier indies than the surface, so it's a lot easier to get blocked in by them.

Secondly, cave/surface connections are usually clustered in a small section of the overworld, between the territories of two or three surface nations.

Lastly, caves are generally generated very "narrowly" so that caps tend to have small cap circles and there are a lot of choke points where you will have no expansion choices at all beyond just that one way.

Once people move to using more hand-made maps, I assume this is gonna be cleared up, or they're going to unkrangle the default cave generation somehow.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Man's player here: From my experience so far, despite the cave layer being much easier to access than underwater, it's very easy to leave it unattended and let whoever starts under there Get Big. Whether they can leverage that is a different question, since the cave entrances limit their strategic options on who to fight (or who can even try getting down there). Caves also tend to be pretty gold rich, evidently (I've not played a cave start nation yet, so this is hearsay). The darkness penalties in caves, if I recall correctly, are -3 attack, defense, and precision unless you have darkvision or spirit sight. Nature magic has spells that can grant partial darkvision, as a way to ease cave fighting.

And speaking of darkvision, there's 3 types of vision traits a unit can have: darkvision, which reduces or eliminates darkness penalties; true sight, which can ignore certain Glamour buffs such as Blur (-2 to attacker's attack), Displacement (like blur, but a whopping -10 on the first attack, after which it degrades to a -5), and glamour/mirror image (a 1 in X chance for the attack to hit and destory a decoy); and Spirit Sight, which is basically both perfect darkvision and true sight rolled into one trait.

I'll not spoil how it is playing out in this particular game, but I will point out that there are 2 nations naturally disposed to existing in the caves: Agartha and Pyrene, who both have 50% darkvision (for only -1 penalty, I believe) on most of their troops. Both can also utilize summons that either ignore the penalties or even fight better in darkness than in light.

Also most of the cave entrances are clustered near me (Man)... so keep that in mind as the game continues.

Edit: as Purple mentioned and I sorta said at the end, a big problem so far seems to be how the entrances get clustered rather than spread out. If you're a surface nation that really wants to get underground or performs well there (Ind for the former for guaranteed cynocephelians, Yomi as an example of the latter), you could end up SOL as the game generates all the entrances nowhere near you and clustered under a nation that doesn't care or is ill-suited to fighting underground. This also means the unlucky player near all the entrances has to keep in mind that they'll eventually end up in conflict with any cave nations, unless they're able to negotiate and direct them to their neighbors somehow.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2024

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The cave layer is a lot better then underwater(no 5 gem tax per commander, most important spells still work down there), but it's definitely not in a good state right now. The indies can also be really uneven: Pale ones or zotz won't accomplish much, cave men can be nasty, and then there's stuff like released ones or shades that are more dangerous then any normal indie aboveground.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Quick request - for any posters who are actually in this game, if you’re posting about this game specifically would you mind just putting which nation you’re playing at the top of your post? I think I know who everyone is but I’m sure not everyone reading along does :)

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
But on caves - yea, they definitely shift interaction between nations in an uneven way. We have basically zero cave access as Phaeacia since all of the entrances are either 5 provinces inland and are now held by other players, or on the complete other coast of the main landmass. We could technically get over there, but without a good reason to it’s pretty unlikely that we’ll interact with the caves beyond some scouting for the foreseeable future

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Machaka player.

In all my precious games of dom6 I've had to deal with cave entrances clustered in my territory, and it sucks. Their placement often messes with where you want to put forts (You don't want them right next to each other) and unless you're sure you're friendly with the nearest cave nation its a place you've got to devote resources to defending where you going on a counter offensive is difficult unless you're some specific nations, have good nature mages for darksight spells or are using units that don't care about darkness. It's not as difficult as a land nation attacking into the sea but the debuffs will really mess with you if you aren't prepared for them.

I was very happy to not have caves in this game.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Also most of the cave entrances are clustered near me (Man)... so keep that in mind as the game continues.

Reminds me of other LP's where one player was so locked in by terrain that his only other choice was through one neighbor only. Seems like a similar situation here. Are there Thrones of Ascension underground? Even if there are, sooner or later the underground nation will come knocking as it's pretty much their only exit. Unless there are special spells or some mechanic I missed, you're their obligatory first target.

So either strike first or wait for the inevitable army coming knocking. I get the feeling a good chunk of your forces will be occupied there either way.

I admit I don't really get why the exit points tend to be clustered, sounds like spread out would make more sense. It would avoid one player getting all the oily heat - and other players aware of it would sense a target rife for plunder - coming from underground and wouldn't make a bottleneck every single game.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 8, 2024

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Turn 21

A fairly quiet turn - no battles to speak of since we were getting forces moved into position last turn.

We see yet another throne claim happen - this is around the point in the game where most thrones fall in pretty quick succession since almost all normal indies are gone by now. Some of the harder throne types might last a bit longer, but anything like the two thrones we've taken don't last long.

The outer throne is nice - astral pearls are always welcome since they alchemize into any other gem type at a 2:1 ratio and are useful on their own for a lot of important spells. The +magic dominion is nice for *most* nations, but would actually be an issue for us since we took Magic 3 on our pretender.

While higher paths are usually a good thing, a change in Dominions 6 made it so that any "extreme" values above 3 start to have some negative consequences. Going from magic 3 -> magic 4 would introduce a low amount of unrest to all provinces as well as slowly *horror mark* everyone, drawing non-planar horrors of various descriptions to come snack on our mages. It's a fairly low chance but has a cumulative effect, so especially this early on getting constant horror marks would be pretty bad.

Also notice the high order drawback: -2RP is huge, it can easily be a 20% reduction in your total RP depending on you mage. We have a few thrones in this game that give +order to dominion, so hopefully we don't wind up with any of those. We'd likely want to leave them unclaimed; the drawback is that big. I'm regretting taking such high scales, just a little bit...

Anyways, we also see a worldwide discount event. These happen randomly, but will make all ritual spells from a certain school cheaper for a single (or sometimes multiple) months. They're a nice bonus, and make any quills we forge this turn a gem cheaper. Neat!

On to movement. As I've alluded to, the next target for this game is going to be T'ien Ch'i. Out of our neighbors, I think our troops match up against TC the best and they're also around the same size as us or maybe a province or two bigger. We can also see a lot of forts in their territory, suggesting they're unlikely to have a massive army. If we can move in quickly and lock down their better recruitment options, we stand to gain quite a lot from a war.

The initial strategy is a full coastal assault, sending 5 squads that all look something like this:

Pretty basic, but should be enough to handle even quite a lot of PD, as we've seen from cleaning up Phlegra's holdings.

Now, I don't expect to actually hold the full coastline right away - this is bit of shock and awe to hopefully force a rushed response and open up opportunities for TC's player to make mistakes. There's a few objectives that I'll be focusing on after the initial phase.

1) Reinforcement - right now if we want to bring any mage support, they have to shuffle around to our province in the top right and then work their way down in a very predictable way. I'd like to have more flexibility than that now that mages are having increasing value, so taking the bottom right province and getting some dominion spread would be very useful.
2) Capital - TC's capital is only a single province away from the coastline, and it's the only place where they can recruit their sacreds. More on them in a bit, but with TC having invested heavily in their bless I'd like to try and lock down their recruitment relatively early on.
3) Throne - TC has a throne just to the north of their capital, which would be the big prize in this war. While we're still early enough that raw provinces and territory is still very important, we also need to start thinking about ascension points and which 7 thrones would make the most sense to go after. This is another reason that TC is a more attractive target than Pyréne or Machaka - their throne access is pretty far inland and away from the coast, so we'd have a much harder time taking it.
4) TC's PG & sacred stack - we know TC has a fairly big stack of their Red Guard sacreds and their white tiger god running around somewhere. We want to be careful to not bump into them unexpectedly and try to catch them in a lopsided battle. I'm not sure exactly where they are at this point, but it seems quite unlikely they'd be in one of the random coastal provinces so I'm going to take a bit of risk with this invasion.

So, what does TC have that we need to plan for?

First up, the sacreds and TC's bless. Red Guard are fairly solid, if a little on the weaker side for sacred cavalry. They get a strong charge attack and the decent sustained output, have OK protection, pretty good stats.

With TC's bless though, they're going to have substantially better protection (18 or 19 because of how armor and natural protection interact) and will also be ethereal, fully ignoring 75% of non-magical attacks.

That combination is expensive in bless points, but makes the sacreds much more durable than they'd otherwise be.

The rest of TC's troops aren't too concerning - mostly human infantry variants with different weaponry. Our raw stats on our units mostly beat these guys out handily, so as long as we're not incredibly outnumbered we have the advantage.

One unit worth keeping an eye out for is the crossbows. Crossbows are relatively rare in the middle age, but they do armor piercing damage with their missiles, which halves protection values. If sufficiently massed, they can tear through even troops with shields pretty quickly.

And then finally, there's the very unassuming Imperial Geomancer to watch out for. These any-fort recruitable mages are dirt cheap at 90 gold, and have pretty much 1 thing going for them:

Gifts from heaven is an iconic spell, pulling down three meteors from the stellar sphere and smashing them into your opponent's army. 150 damage is enough to kill nearly anything in the game (a god in it's own dominion is often an exception... at least, for the first meteor impact) and they also do a big burst of fire damage all around where they hit.

Since the geomancers are all S1E1 mages, any group of at least 3 can cast gifts. Two become communion slaves who boost up the master to E2, who then casts summon earthpower to boost up to E3 and then lets loose. Now, a single gifts caster often doesn't do a whole lot since the spell is very inaccurate at any range and it takes two rounds to buff until they can actually cast. It's a spell that scales very well though - 3 gifts casters are much scarier than 1, and 10 can delete entire army stacks before the front lines even meet.

We'll really want to prevent TC from getting a big stack of these guys together or we'll have a very hard time dealing with it.

So, with TC's main threats in mind we have a good answer to most of it in the form of the Orichalcum Guard. The guard are a pretty direct counter to TC's bless, since the magic weapons ignore the effects of ethereal and they do enough damage to not be too bothered by the higher protection. Our own bless is also pretty useful here - the slight fire resistance means that the AOE effects of gifts will be mostly a non-factor.

Beyond that, TC's troops also tend to have fairly low magic resistance so things like clouds of slumber should be very effective in crowd control. This definitely isn't going to be a war that's over in 2 turns like Phlegra was, but I think we should do really well as long as we can prevent too big of a doomstack from forming.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 8, 2024

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Very minor nitpick: it's Pyrène rather than Pyréne. Yes, even though the mountains are the Pyrénées. :france:

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Man player:

Despite all the talk about problems with caves... The Outer Throne is underground! It was pretty cheeky of me to dive down there and take it, to be frank, but the defenders were mostly undead and MA Man has very spammable, cheap priests that can kill undead pretty well.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I can accept cannibalistic giants facing off against a Chinese myth while Basque inspired creatures lurk in the background trying not to get devoured by nature's revenge.

But this:

IthilionTheBrave posted:

The Outer Throne is underground!

Just irredeemably broke my immersion.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The Inner Throne is in an even deeper cave; all names are relative to the planet's core.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
The new cavern layer is a ground breaking addtion to the game.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

quote:

While higher paths are usually a good thing, a change in Dominions 6 made it so that any "extreme" values above 3 start to have some negative consequences. Going from magic 3 -> magic 4 would introduce a low amount of unrest to all provinces as well as slowly *horror mark* everyone, drawing non-planar horrors of various descriptions to come snack on our mages. It's a fairly low chance but has a cumulative effect, so especially this early on getting constant horror marks would be pretty bad.

:catstare:

Yeah, that's... that's bad.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They should make some globals to push scales by a couple points.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As someone who hasn't played a Dominions game myself, I wonder what sort of motivations players end up having as endgame approaches. Do players who are far enough behind that they don't have a realistic shot at victory but who don't want to go to AI sometimes decide to effectively act as vassals to a bigger nation for roleplay reasons of "maybe the new Pantokrator won't obliterate/imprison ours in the new world" or so on?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Becoming someone's permanent vassal is generally seen as a bad mannered thing, since you're basically gifting the game to another player. (Getting beaten up and doing what you're told to stay alive and biding your time to make your own play is fine, although not very frequent)

e: Doing some wild revenge/sabotage play against the player who hurt you most is, while not exactly approved, also not something that people are going to begrudge you about (other than your target, I mean). Also, honestly, people underestimate the sort of poo poo you can make a comeback from. I've been down to 5 or 6 provinces on turn 12 in a game after barely surviving a rush, and ended up being second strongest player in it and a genuine condender for the win thanks to some extreme "all-or-nothing" vulturing and wars of opportunity. And I was very much something akin to a vassal for a while, as part of the bargain that let me live.

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 8, 2024

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is there an official way to pronounce T'ien Ch'i? I can never tell if I'm doing it right. I've done:

Tee En Chi
Tyen Chi
Tee Ee En Chuh Ee

JT Jag posted:

As someone who hasn't played a Dominions game myself, I wonder what sort of motivations players end up having as endgame approaches. Do players who are far enough behind that they don't have a realistic shot at victory but who don't want to go to AI sometimes decide to effectively act as vassals to a bigger nation for roleplay reasons of "maybe the new Pantokrator won't obliterate/imprison ours in the new world" or so on?

I played 3 - 5, but not 6. I've had games end where there is an obviously dominant player and the other two or so left just decide to call it and RP "don't Tartarus us and we'll be your generals" kind of thing. Nobody agrees to be a protectorate though. At most, they might agree to a non aggression pact and cede provinces in exchange for not dieing, with the intent to come back later for fight again.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 8, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Slaan posted:

Is there an official way to pronounce T'ien Ch'i? I can never tell if I'm doing it right. I've done:

Tee En Chi
Tyen Chi
Tee Ee En Chuh Ee

I played 3 - 5, but not 6. I've had games end where there is an obviously dominant player and the other two or so left just decide to call it and RP "don't Tartarus us and we'll be your generals" kind of thing. Nobody agrees to be a protectorate though. At most, they might agree to a non aggression pact and cede provinces in exchange for not dieing, with the intent to come back later for fight again.

I dunno what Chinese characters they're meant for but the second one there is closest to what I think it's meant to sound like (Tianqi in pinyin format)

Most likely the "T'ien" is 天 (sky, heaven)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Arcvasti posted:

The cave layer is a lot better then underwater(no 5 gem tax per commander, most important spells still work down there), but it's definitely not in a good state right now. The indies can also be really uneven: Pale ones or zotz won't accomplish much, cave men can be nasty, and then there's stuff like released ones or shades that are more dangerous then any normal indie aboveground.

Caves are essentially mini Pankor System maps.

Speaking of that map, I hope it gets ported to 6. I know folks despise it, but I love it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

They should make some globals to push scales by a couple points.

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but, for instance, if you cast Well of Misery that nudges up Growth globally by +2(and by +5 in the source province), Stellar Focus raises Magic in its source provinces, lowers it across the world, Nature's Bounty raises Growth by Dominion points in every province the caster has Dominion over, etc.

I think Drain is the only one that doesn't have any spectacular 4/5 effects, but probably that's because it's miserable enough at 2 and 3 without further awfulness.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, but they’re all secondary effects, and or only in casters dominion. It’d be fun to have some mid tier globals you can get early that you could use to offset your poo poo scales say, at the cost of really pissing off whoever ends up with +5. Or you could make a coalition of bless nations to hell cast +2 order and gently caress over anyone who took a scales build. Seems like there’d be scope for quite a few strategic and diplomatic considerations, which is the fun bit of dominions.

Turn 7 +2 magic could be the new turn 15 bot and watch the whole world start accumulating horror marks that will have become pretty significant by the mid game.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think Drain is the only one that doesn't have any spectacular 4/5 effects, but probably that's because it's miserable enough at 2 and 3 without further awfulness.

Misfortune also wasn't on the list, the constant barbarians pillaging all your poo poo and unrest events are probably bad enough?

e: also the angry witch event that gives +3 misfortune so starting with 2 means a lot of your territory will be sitting at 4/5 a lot of the time.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 8, 2024

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but, for instance, if you cast Well of Misery that nudges up Growth globally by +2(and by +5 in the source province), Stellar Focus raises Magic in its source provinces, lowers it across the world, Nature's Bounty raises Growth by Dominion points in every province the caster has Dominion over, etc.

Honestly, a lot of the penalty scales don't really do anything at the lower extreme. None of Turmoil, Sloth or Drain are even on that chart, and Illwinter seemingly hasn't programmed any FUN (by which I mean random events needing a certain scale) for any scale above 3 - honestly somewhat of a shame, though obviously they might later or people could mod them in. Super high Heat/Cold and Death are mostly as expected, and anyone who gets down to Death 4/5 is doing it deliberately and thus probably won't care.

Meanwhile, of the positive scales it's only Growth that doesn't really have a negative effect. Hell, it's actually a positive effect most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Meanwhile, of the positive scales it's only Growth that doesn't really have a negative effect. Hell, it's actually a positive effect most of the time.

However, if someone then casts, say, Wild Hunt, or Enchanted Forests, there are suddenly some considerable negative effects to having all your Plains and Farmlands turned into Forests, especially since most capitals are Plains or Farmlands and a lot of mages in your research stacks are likely to have Holy paths for a lot of nations...