Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You don’t see the value of always iridium truffles with chance of double harvest?
To say nothing of the help with inventory management since different quality items can’t stack in the bag

Inventory management, when I can play with an auto-sorting mod and I'm not realistically limited by chests?

Or grind a fuckton less wood (and hardwood)? Hmmmmm.

I could give a gently caress about truffles. I have a crop empire giving me infinite money. Besides, Artisan makes the oil worth more than iridium truffles anyway.*

*edit: Let's see. 1250g for an iridium truffle. Add 20% double harvest chance to get an average value of 1500g, compared to the 1491g Artisan Truffle Oil. That sure is a lot more woodcutting you're adding to your playthrough for an extra 9g per truffle spawn.

editedit: Also I only play co-op anymore. Do both. :shrug:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's no wrong way to play, except not picking Botanist

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Something I admire in this game is the efficiency of some of the quests. Summer, Spring and Autumn each have a mail quest asking for the slowest-growing crop, that arrives the day after the last planting day to get a harvest that season.
This teaches four lessons:
  1. don't just sell everything immediately, keep a little for later
  2. you should grow a bit of everything
  3. what's this Speed-Gro stuff, maybe that would help
  4. quests don't expire unless they have an explicit time limit, it's okay to wait a year (or more)

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 8, 2024

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Mrenda posted:

I feel like there's a comparison between Gus and Clint, as has already been brought up. They're both kinda weirdos but Gus is content within himself being a weirdo. I haven't unlocked everything with either of them, but Gus accepts himself. Clint thinks he needs something (or someone) to be happy.

I just did the first Flower Dance and I'm really annoyed I didn't take a screenshot of Gus's dialogue, which is perfect, where he's standing by the river and talks with goofy excitement about how it's the start of frog season. He'd also made a home-make kit of a mini-jukebox he gives to you after/at a heart event. Gus is who I wish Clint would turn into, with some work. Someone a little bit off but not in a creepy way, just an oddball way.

Not to go too "state of the world" but you'd hope a lot of boys and young men would grow out of Clint style behaviour. While they're young and gawky, and horned up, they're weird, but they learn to be happy about themselves on their own, then they find the people they can be with, even if they stay single. There should be contentment for Clint once he gets past his own tunnel vision. (But I also think it's cool that, as far as I know, SV doesn't work to solve everyone's problems. It just shows people going through life. Pelican Town continues after the game "ends.")

It's funny because that's kinda how Emily herself is too. Clearly on a different wavelength from everybody else but she owns it. From that angle it makes sense why Clint keeps pursuing her. She's what he wishes he was: emphatically comfortable in his own skin. He might not even consciously realize that thread, but it's there.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Quote is the same as edit and I will not be taking any questions

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Forest Farm gives 16 hardwood per day, which yields on average 120 regular wood when run though wood chippers. If you include the Secret Woods that's almost 200 every day.
This is much less tedious with Automate, of course

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I ended up getting the mod that lets you buy professions through mastery XP after getting all the masteries. Still didn't buy half of the fishing professions since they're kind of bad? I want the trash from crab pots.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I ended up getting the mod that lets you buy professions through mastery XP after getting all the masteries. Still didn't buy half of the fishing professions since they're kind of bad? I want the trash from crab pots.

True, if you aren't sourcing all your refined quartz from crab pots are you even playing the game right?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Cambria Bold posted:

It's funny because that's kinda how Emily herself is too. Clearly on a different wavelength from everybody else but she owns it. From that angle it makes sense why Clint keeps pursuing her. She's what he wishes he was: emphatically comfortable in his own skin. He might not even consciously realize that thread, but it's there.

And, of course, Emily works in the bar with Gus! I'm amazed by how well thought out and developed this game is. And it's not some heavily thought out style of writing, there's nothing really in it that hasn't been done before, either in the gameplay or narrative. It's the work of someone who had full creative control and spent years on it, really letting everything sit with him and occupy him.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
With golden animal crackers and shepherd sheep make a ton of money I suppose. But you would need so many sheep and animal crackers to be worth switching from artisan.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Or you can use the mod that preserves input quality for artisan goods and reap all the rewards

I'm going to need it to buy these stupid obelisks any time soon

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zesty posted:

Mining: Miner -> Prospector
Who cares about gems? I've never felt limited by them and you make crystallariums later to get as many as you want.

Foraging: Forester -> :siren: Either :siren:
Hey both paths of Forester are fine. Don't see any value on the Gathering side.

Fishing: :siren: Whatever! :siren:
I guess smokers are broken as hell. :shrug: But before that I wouldn't have cared about increasing the value of fish. Pirate is good for grabbing some goodies and artifacts. On the other side of the tree, Crab Pots can be less annoying by not giving trash anymore. So I guess there's some choice here.

Mining's the skill I always respec a few years in; at some point, I've got so much extra ore that I don't need a boost there, and it's kind of fun to fill a shed up with crystallariums and join the diamond cartel.

Foraging is a skill I'll respec into Foresting only when I've got seriously lumber-intensive projects going; otherwise, I'll keep it in Gathering, because having all my truffles be occasionally doubled is nice, and having them all be iridium-quality makes inventory management easier. Plus it makes it feel better when I swing a little bit out of my way to pick up a mushroom or a leek or whatever.

But Fishing...I'm not sure I'm with you on that one, at least as far as going all the way with crab pots not giving trash anymore. Trash is the reason to have crab pots, as far as I'm concerned. Snail sashimi is a nice bonus, but most of the time 100% of my refined quartz comes from broken glasses and old AOL CDs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't fish outside the early game unless I'm filling out the compendium.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Miner / Prospector should be swapped, coal is only a hurdle early on but by the time you get prospector you should be swimming in it. I now just always take gems/geodes and use a kiln for coal early on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Having everything you gather be iridium makes life so much easier when you're trying to make healing stacks. Cactus and Crystal fruit will get you a long long way

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Avalerion posted:

Miner / Prospector should be swapped, coal is only a hurdle early on but by the time you get prospector you should be swimming in it. I now just always take gems/geodes and use a kiln for coal early on.

Still way better to take Miner in early game, the extra ore really helps when you're constantly starved for it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the extra also applies to stone, it seems

extra wood + hard wood is a fine choice, probably the best. And more hard wood = more wood. But you lose out on double harvest for truffles even though animals are not the best choice for money-making, pigs are still king even with golden animal crackers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If I wanted to work more jobs I would've stayed at Joja Corp

Are there any mods that make professions crazy? Like for combat you can shoot beams Zelda-style at full health, or forestry lets you grow ore trees. I don't want to break the game, I want to turn it inside-out.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I've always gone the Gatherer->Botanist path, even if I've never analyzed it. Getting only iridium quality forage is nice - good for energy snacks when needed, good for gifting, good for selling, good for stacking, and then double Truffles is great. The iridium quality there doesn't matter, since they go to Truffle Oil, but you get essentially a 20% boost to profit from Pigs.

I've never really found an issue getting enough wood by the time I have a dire need for it, or I'll be limited by something else like coal/oak resin/metal. Between leaving a large patch of wild trees on the farm (now with mushroom logs) and making trips through the town and desert, there's lots of wood to go around.

The Artisan primacy is silly though, there's basically only one possible strategy for the other path (tons of sheep producing Wool every day with Shepard). Every other farm type is better with Artisan. The second-level tiers should raise Rancher bonus to 40% (to match Artisan), and Truffle Oil should be considered an Animal Product (yes, I know the pigs are just finding it, but for the games balance, if you need a animal to produce it, it should be an Animal Product). I'd even go a step further, and remove the Artisan bonus from Cheese/Mayonnaise/Cloth/Truffle Oil. So you'd have choice of going the animal side and getting a 40% boost from Truffle Oil/Cloth/Cheese/Mayo, or going the produce side and getting a 40% boost from Wine/Beer/Honey/Preserves/Aged Roe etc. Wine would still be the best money-maker, but at least there would be a choice. As it is, even with an animal-heavy farm, unless you are going pure Sheep, Artisan is still way better.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I know it's not meta but I like to keep my original animals around to pet because I like having them even if it costs me time :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

The Artisan primacy is silly though, there's basically only one possible strategy for the other path (tons of sheep producing Wool every day with Shepard). Every other farm type is better with Artisan. The second-level tiers should raise Rancher bonus to 40% (to match Artisan), and Truffle Oil should be considered an Animal Product (yes, I know the pigs are just finding it, but for the games balance, if you need a animal to produce it, it should be an Animal Product). I'd even go a step further, and remove the Artisan bonus from Cheese/Mayonnaise/Cloth/Truffle Oil. So you'd have choice of going the animal side and getting a 40% boost from Truffle Oil/Cloth/Cheese/Mayo, or going the produce side and getting a 40% boost from Wine/Beer/Honey/Preserves/Aged Roe etc. Wine would still be the best money-maker, but at least there would be a choice. As it is, even with an animal-heavy farm, unless you are going pure Sheep, Artisan is still way better.

I've thought this too. But the unintended consequence of removing the Artisan bonus from animal products is that it will make animal products less competitive with wine, not more. You'd have to give a truly gigantic bonus to animal products along the Rancher path to make them competitive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Add the ability to grow livestock from crops, it should balance things if you can grow sheep trees and rabbit vines.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Trilobite posted:

But Fishing...I'm not sure I'm with you on that one, at least as far as going all the way with crab pots not giving trash anymore. Trash is the reason to have crab pots, as far as I'm concerned. Snail sashimi is a nice bonus, but most of the time 100% of my refined quartz comes from broken glasses and old AOL CDs.

Fishing profession is an easy choice; I mean, who in their right mind is gonna pick boring shite like self-baiting crab pots or somewhat more valuable fish over being a fecking pirate and positively swimming in booty? :yarr:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I usually play the Forest Farm for aesthetics, but it's such a pain to fit everything in since I like doing a bit of everything. I didn't realize until I looked it up today that it has the least buildable area of any map.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Zesty posted:

Foraging: Forester -> :siren: Either :siren:
Hey both paths of Forester are fine. Don't see any value on the Gathering side.

I forget the skill names, but for Foraging I always always take the one that makes all forage iridium. The value increase is marginal because who makes serious amounts of money on forage, but it ensures that if you collect several of an item they stack in one slot instead of taking up to four for the different quality levels. And the doubled healing means you can kinda "prep" for a skull mines run just by picking up some cactus fruit on the way from the bus/teleport idol.

e: well, mostly beaten, but let me update this post with a question: you said you play co-op. How do the sale price skills interact with co-op? If I have the artisan goods bonus and you don't, do we get the price bonus? On everything? Just the ones I drop in the box?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 8, 2024

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Anyone who's currently on the farm has their passives interact. So you can get multiple benefits like speedy growing and artisan sale price up at the same time. Allegedly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I guess when you're in the endgame and trying to make All The Money ASAP, the minmax strat is to generally stay in Tiller/Agriculturalist while piling up starfruit wine, then switch to Tiller/Artisan for 3 days to sell the wine (the price is set when the keg finishes, I guess?) then switch back. When you're mass producing it the 20,000G it costs to respec twice is more than made up for by getting your kegs refilled a couple days sooner. It stops mattering once you're fully running ancient fruit, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Akratic Method posted:

e: well, mostly beaten, but let me update this post with a question: you said you play co-op. How do the sale price skills interact with co-op? If I have the artisan goods bonus and you don't, do we get the price bonus? On everything? Just the ones I drop in the box?

My wife and I play with shared money. If one of us has the bonus, we both have the bonus. I don't actually know if this changes with individual money. That'd make sense if it did.

But that's what reducing the money multiplier is for too. Last time we played it felt like money was too easy to get, so this playthrough the multiplier was reduced.

I've never strategically changed my skills around a schedule. Doesn't appeal to me to play that intensely.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 8, 2024

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Finally got my first legit perfection run, 0% Joja. I always tend to lose interest on the crawl to buying the golden clock.

Hope Haunted Chocolateer comes out sometime this decade. I wonder if it's gonna be like Reccetter the way Stardew was based on Harvest Moon?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mylan posted:

Hope Haunted Chocolateer comes out sometime this decade. I wonder if it's gonna be like Reccetter the way Stardew was based on Harvest Moon?

Oh my god, I hope so.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I guess when you're in the endgame and trying to make All The Money ASAP, the minmax strat is to generally stay in Tiller/Agriculturalist while piling up starfruit wine, then switch to Tiller/Artisan for 3 days to sell the wine (the price is set when the keg finishes, I guess?) then switch back. When you're mass producing it the 20,000G it costs to respec twice is more than made up for by getting your kegs refilled a couple days sooner. It stops mattering once you're fully running ancient fruit, though.

yeah the grow buffs only apply to the first harvest so stacked with super or hyper speed grow, that knocks off a good chunk but you're still waiting another week until the second harvest.

The issue is in the interim you might still want to be making money with artisan goods.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can either get rich making art or be poor not making art.

It's commentary of how ConcernedApe was poor, then he made art (Stardew Valley), and is now rich.

Therefore, art is the way to get rich, via using mass amounts of wine to exploit everyone's alcoholism.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

yeah the grow buffs only apply to the first harvest so stacked with super or hyper speed grow, that knocks off a good chunk but you're still waiting another week until the second harvest.

The issue is in the interim you might still want to be making money with artisan goods.

I think from a minmax standpoint wine is the only artisan good worth worrying about. I guess if you enjoy fishing while waiting for your wine to be ready you want Artisan for the smoker, but that's another case where you wait until you have a pile of fish and smoke and ship them all during the 2 days you're swapped into Artisan. Unless you're an extremely expert fisher you'll make more money doing Skull Cavern dives though.

I've never tried that kind of super minmax style and never will, mind, so there no doubt are many nuances to it I don't grasp.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I figure having automate is upping my efficiency enough. I don't need to go to the profession switcher every three days to boost profits.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Another great mod.

Only flaw is this only works twice a week so you can't constantly terrorize Pierre or Clint on a daily basis.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sure I can, that's what my slingshot and explosive ammo are for!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I found a second Ancient Seed in a mystery chest. I can't plant it. Is there anything to do with it but ship it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

you can craft ancient seeds (artifact) into ancient seeds (seed) once you've donated one. Check your crafting list.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alxprit posted:

you can craft ancient seeds (artifact) into ancient seeds (seed) once you've donated one. Check your crafting list.

I think you specifically need to check the museum rewards for the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn

Mega64 posted:

Add the ability to grow livestock from crops, it should balance things if you can grow sheep trees and rabbit vines.

I went down a quick, spiraling rabbit hole trying to remember what the sheep tree was called (vegetable lamb or barometz), instantly remembered barometz is has an MGE entry :blush:, but googling to confirm that spit out "cibotium barometz" aka the golden chicken fern :confused:

...so yeah, now I have a terrible urge to retexture all the fruit trees into animal trees.
Apricot -> Sheep
Cherry -> Cow
Orange -> Goat
Peach -> Pig
Apple -> Chicken (golden?)
Pom -> Rabbit
Banana -> Ostrich
Mango -> Dinosaur

Thoughts?
There's not enough fruit trees to squeeze ducks in... I also can't visualize some of these without it getting real weird (like the cherry cow), but I'm absolutely making a vegetable lambpricot :3: