Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Re: F76 commando VATS get your perception as high as you reasonably can, this is why Herbivore and Party Girl are good with ranged in particular, because of Sweetwater Blend and other drinks/foods that buff per and AP regen and other ranged stats.
Also the luck perks that refill your AP are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
How do they release these updates in this state? Crashing about 50% of the time on the Invader events.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Books On Tape posted:

FO76:

How does stealth commando gameplay work? Rifleman was easy since it's one shot sniping, but automatic weapons have all sorts of recoil and it's noticeably more difficult to play unless I'm doing it wrong. Are you supposed to just use VATS the entire time? Is it not meant to be this long range?

Yes Commando is all about VATS. Just do whatever you're doing until you're about lvl 40+ and have the necessary cards/equip to make the switch.
Free aiming is pretty much reserved for power armor wearers using machine guns etc and melee.

The +18 stats from Unyielding armor pieces (keep all of them even if it's a lvl 5 goat hide leg or whatever) make it that range doesn't matter anymore, and that you have enough AP points to fire quite a bit in VATS.
Keep hydrated and ideally bring lots of free coffee from the ATOM store coffee maker to regain AP.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

sauer kraut posted:

Yes Commando is all about VATS. Just do whatever you're doing until you're about lvl 40+ and have the necessary cards/equip to make the switch.
Free aiming is pretty much reserved for power armor wearers using machine guns etc and melee.

The +18 stats from Unyielding armor pieces (keep all of them even if it's a lvl 5 goat hide leg or whatever) make it that range doesn't matter anymore, and that you have enough AP points to fire quite a bit in VATS.
Keep hydrated and ideally bring lots of free coffee from the ATOM store coffee maker to regain AP.

Also don't sleep on the VATS cost 3rd star. A handmade or fixer with garbage first and second stars is still really useful with the 3rd VATS cost star if you build it right. Quad, bash damage, vats cost might not be a god roll, but it's powerful as gently caress if you have a VATS commando build.

https://fed76.info/a/zerovats/

I can sit crouched on the fence and dump about 100 shots into the SBQ before running out of AP with my handmade.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Griffon posted:

I have also, for the record, never paid attention to a single food effect. Food goes in the belly; that's nice. End of statement.

You really should start paying attention! Some of the buffs make a huge difference, especially when paired with herbivore/carnivore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Books On Tape posted:

How do they release these updates in this state? Crashing about 50% of the time on the Invader events.

just crashed this way too lol

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You really should start paying attention! Some of the buffs make a huge difference, especially when paired with herbivore/carnivore.

yea but instead could eat dog food and spend all that brainpower I'm saving punch

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've been working with Herbivore buff foods for over 1000 levels. I have all these assigned to hotkeys so I just roll my finger across the numbers row:

Slice of Cake / Canned Coffee (spammable instant AP)
Company Tea (AP refresh rate)
Hard Lemonade (stacks for even more AP refresh rate)
Infused soot flower tea (+max AP)
Sweetwater Special Blend (PER)
Brain Bombs (INT)
Cranberry Relish (XP)
Sweet Mutfruit Tea (Crit Dmg)

I keep individual resist foods off the hotbar, and consume them when events require them

Glowing fungus soup - Rad Resist
Glowing fungus puree - Energy Resist
Silt bean puree - damage resistance
Silt bean soup - +END

Then there's also Ballistic Bock / Highvoltage Hefe for even more damage

Then Berry Mentats for even more INT or Overdrive for even more damage

I love my buff foods. It takes me about 1 hour a week of upkeep. You can have my Good With Salt perk when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone toss me an Unarmed build.
Now that I have a fusion core recharger, I want to be Mr. Punchbot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

do you want to be PA stompy punch man, or sneak ninja punch man
e: sounds like the former
e: a low health PA punch man build (assuming all the legendary poo poo, downgrade what you don't have obviously)
link

lol forgot nerd rage

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 7, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat so I just tried playing 76 with a friend for the first time and do we really have to make whoever is going in the dungeon leader so everybody can follow? It's weird how lovely this game appears to be towards people in parties trying to do quests together.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's a solo game, sprinkled with all kinds of 'gathering' events that may be public or a private group.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

explosivo posted:

drat so I just tried playing 76 with a friend for the first time and do we really have to make whoever is going in the dungeon leader so everybody can follow? It's weird how lovely this game appears to be towards people in parties trying to do quests together.

Yeah it's annoying, but if you ever want to xp grind you can clear a place out, leave and make someone else Leader, then go right back in and it will be repopulated. Repeat until bored.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I did a daily op with my pistol character and amazingly, the other two joiners were also pistol users, with similar weapon choices (plasma pistol, gauss pistol)
We finished with a pretty good time too :allears:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

also only the leader gets the quest completion so might as well just do interiors alone except for xp grinding I guess

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Books On Tape posted:

I found it worse during the april fools event it's been pretty stable for me and I've had to had done like twenty at this point, just the usual yeeting into the sky and one serious lockup where I thought it might crash but recovered. are you on ps4?

as an aside finally hit rank 150 so endless modules for the next month or so woo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Abraxo challenges seem very reasonable and I like the Pipboy paint a lot.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Inzombiac posted:

The Abraxo challenges seem very reasonable and I like the Pipboy paint a lot.

One real obnoxious thing: if you’re a power armor user the game considers the pip boy not equipped while wearing it, so you just plain can’t complete anything without getting out of your armor.

Not the end of the world but it was an unpleasant thing to discover after picking up a bunch of abraxo and poo poo.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Vegastar posted:

One real obnoxious thing: if you’re a power armor user the game considers the pip boy not equipped while wearing it, so you just plain can’t complete anything without getting out of your armor.

Not the end of the world but it was an unpleasant thing to discover after picking up a bunch of abraxo and poo poo.

mark the challenges in the menu; it'll pop up something when you complete any portion of it and if it doesn't pop up it's a good indicator that something isn't meeting the requirement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What's the state of Fallout 76? I never played it, but I figure it might be long enough after the release that they've got it mostly working. Do people still play? Is it worth thirty bucks?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

the paradigm shift posted:

mark the challenges in the menu; it'll pop up something when you complete any portion of it and if it doesn't pop up it's a good indicator that something isn't meeting the requirement.

Yeah, hindsight and all. Just figured it’d be a good shout to save others the potential annoyance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phanatic posted:

What's the state of Fallout 76? I never played it, but I figure it might be long enough after the release that they've got it mostly working. Do people still play? Is it worth thirty bucks?

it's good now OP

(it was already mostly good as much as a year ago, if not longer, but the momentum from the TV show has gotten people to (re-)discover it and break through the bad reputation it used to have)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
While it might be worth 30 bucks, it's been sold for a lot less than that very frequently (and is basically free on console with ps+ or game pass).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah gott say I don't think it's worth a 30 buck pricetag, 10 bucks seems a fair price, but I'm also viewing it from the lens of a free ps+ game

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

yeah i think i paid like $8 for it. anyone with a prime account can get you a free code(maybe, i think it's through the end of this month?), it's just if it is on pc it'll be through the microsoft store.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I got F76 for 10 bucks and it's been a huge return on investment, I wouldn't have regretted paying full price but I'm glad I got it cheap, it's a Pretty Good Game

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Phanatic posted:

i think i have a code if youre ok with having it on windows store

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
More FO76 ramblings-

Finally got the electric mod for my auto axe and could instantly feel the difference, just shredding through most enemies now. And that's without having Expert or Master Slugger equipped. Never picked them up for some reason. So those are my next perk cards to grab. Can't wait to see how silly it gets once I have those and the right mutations.

Managed to get Elder rewards on a Daily Op solo for the first time so that felt nice. Got that trophy out of the way, along with the one for killing 100 trogs with the auto axe. Finally done with The Pitt. No more searching for those stupid poison gas containers, hooray!

Joined an Events group and knocked out like 6 public events in a row, including a couple that I'd never played before. That was fun, and helped me get a bunch of scrap and scrip. Used a free score booster and ranked up enough to unlock the Cremator plans, but I somehow don't have the right perk card to craft it. One more for the list. Did some of the easier Spring Cleaning challenges, too.

Still running around in my power armor, but the plan is to eventually switch to Unyielding armor. Whatever I can get at first, but ultimately aiming for Secret Service once I get the plans. Also just found out that there's a Jetpack mod for the Ultracite PA so I'll be on the hunt for that, too. Really hitting that Monster Hunter crafting feel for me now, planning out like 4 steps ahead for what I want to make.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm level 35 now, doing some of the main quests for Rose / Settlers / Raiders / BoS and while doing that trying to rack up black titanium and screws for my armor. I'm guessing I need to have everything ready so I can make the whole armor at the same time for the quest. Besides that I'm trying to get the master scienceman perk so I can craft the Alien disintegrator but looks like it's level 43 or something so I'll have to wait a while still. Although using Power armor feels like it won't be as useful since the fusion cores run out in minutes whenever I try an armor I find in the wild. I actually bought the fusion core recharger earlier, but I have no generators unlocked that provide the required 20 power... still keeping my eye out on stuff like the coffee machine or the mirelurk steamer in the store, which people have recommended.

Certain ingredients are always on short supply so I'm often times running with broken armors or weapon if I'm missing something like adhesive, aluminum, leather or stuff. I'm still picking up most

I'd like to get more perks that suit my rifle build better, I use VATS with my bolt action but I have like nothing useful on luck and most in my agility are perks for pistols I used earlier.

e: Also, is there something that I could sell that high level players could use and ease my cap situation? Like ammo or something?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 8, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

gauss rifle is my boyfriend now. it kicks so much rear end. I'm putting this commando bullshit on hold again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you have Amazon prime, fallout 76 is free on prime gaming still. Like as a code to own it through the windows store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do the DLCs add a bunch of power armor frames or something? I don't remember there being this many when I first played when it came out. I've been wandering around and then there's a power armor sitting out in the open. So I load up a fusion core and teleport it back to red rocket. I'm gonna have to start storing them on the roof.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I bought the Farmable Dirt Tiles for 500 bullion and I am pretty sure I read/learned the Plan, but I don't see it anywhere in my CAMP build menu. Anyone know what's up?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Megazver posted:

I bought the Farmable Dirt Tiles for 500 bullion and I am pretty sure I read/learned the Plan, but I don't see it anywhere in my CAMP build menu. Anyone know what's up?

It’s a variant of the normal floors. Scroll left/right.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

it should be under floors, as an alternate to the regular base floor you can put down

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vegastar posted:

It’s a variant of the normal floors. Scroll left/right.

TheAgent posted:

it should be under floors, as an alternate to the regular base floor you can put down

that's hosed up bros

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got drunk and impatient and bought Atoms...
drat this game.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just learned about WestTek and they're nerfing it for some reason.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got the Shotgun/Cold Shoulder skin from the battle pass because I was sick of seeing the frost around my crosshair when the gun is out but I don't see the skin in the crafting menu, is there a plan I get somewhere that has to be used to unlock that skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

I got the Shotgun/Cold Shoulder skin from the battle pass because I was sick of seeing the frost around my crosshair when the gun is out but I don't see the skin in the crafting menu, is there a plan I get somewhere that has to be used to unlock that skin?

Peepers? It's definitely in the upgrade menu. First option iirc. (Not in the crafting menu)

Ran Eviction Notice today for the first time. It was nice.