Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sorta 1.5st party. published in white dwarf officially but sent in as a letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I wish I could send people at work to accountancy penance :commissar:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sorta 1.5st party. published in white dwarf officially but sent in as a letter

No, the question was sent in as a letter, the response was written by Jervis Johnson and published in White Dwarf, and later reprinted in Chapter Approved.

I wonder if they’ll reprint it in WD 500?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

One of my favorite illustrations is Thr Macro Cannon here

They are standard weapons on imperial ships

It looks like in order to work each gun needs an army of slaves to work the mechanisms (by pulling ropes) and load the chamber

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah, the army of slaves on ships perennial. intended to evoke napoleon era ships with pressed and slave sailors but never fails to be taken at face value

never fail to mention the mechanicus has autoloaders, they just dont share

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

never fail to mention the mechanicus has autoloaders, they just dont share

The uninitiated would not show them proper respect :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Autoloaders are unreliable, what do you do when they break?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SirPhoebos posted:

Has anyone ever written a story about someone that fakes being an Inquisitor and gets away with it through sheer chuzpah?

One of the protagonists of the novel Requiem Infernal is a guy that pretends to be an Inquisitor as he hunts down someone who may actually be or had been an Inquisitor

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Whose everyone's favorite chaos god

I guess Nurgle seems like a pretty jolly fellow if I had to choose one. Khorne seems like he takes things a little too serious all the time, Slaanesh is a weirdo freak, and Tzeentch probably squawks too much.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like Tzeentch cuz i crave being a freaky lil guy

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

great horned rat

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the tau chaos god

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Malal because everything about them is hilarious

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Benagain posted:

Malal because everything about them is hilarious

*Taps thread title*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nurgle just wants you to compost is that so bad

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Compost is good for the environment

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

I guess Nurgle seems like a pretty jolly fellow if I had to choose one. Khorne seems like he takes things a little too serious all the time, Slaanesh is a weirdo freak, and Tzeentch probably squawks too much.

Khone tuesday-thursday, Slaanesh friday-saturday, Nurgle, when I feel bad on monday.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Khone tuesday-thursday, Slaanesh friday-saturday, Nurgle, when I feel bad on monday.

Tzeentch be like 'It is Wednesday my dudes'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Everyone can agree that Tzeentch followers have it the worst, you have to be an ugly nerd cursed with the knowledge of how much of a huge nerd you are

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

QuarkJets posted:

Everyone can agree that Tzeentch followers have it the worst, you have to be an ugly nerd cursed with the knowledge of how much of a huge nerd you are

I started following Tzeentch, but then my monitor kept switching off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You can shape change into an attractive nerd and woo those chads who passed you over for those vapid staceys right before you get multi-meltad because you forgot human women don't have glowing blue skin and birdfeathers

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Hihohe posted:

One of my favorite illustrations is Thr Macro Cannon here

They are standard weapons on imperial ships

It looks like in order to work each gun needs an army of slaves to work the mechanisms (by pulling ropes) and load the chamber
Puts me in mind of this bit of animation. Not 40K, but relatively close all things considered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OQFslDKiI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

True, but it's definitely the god that equips you best for cackling supervillainy.

The Alpha Legion are just barely a little bit of flavour away from being Cobra. They're even founded by Tomax and Xamot.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Smugworth posted:

God Emperor :imunfunny:

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I remember as a kid being impressed and actually a little freaked out by this lil nightmare poem that appeared in one of the old books:

quote:

Do not ask which creature screams in the night.
Do not question who waits for you in the shadow.
It is my cry that wakes you in the night,
and my body that crouches in the shadow.
I am Tzeentch, and you are the puppet that dances to my tune.

but then the actual depictions of Tzeentch (Egyptian-inspired dudes, a big birdman, ludicrous scheming) only seemed even goofier by comparison.

Likewise, I remember getting spooked by a Necromunda one-page story about a terrifying vampiric serial killer known in hushed whispers only as "the devil Valois", and then they released the model with rules and he was just a goofy little guy with a fun Halloween motif:

grobbo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 8, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Loden Taylor posted:

great horned rat

:hmmyes:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SirPhoebos posted:

God Emperor :imunfunny:

you call him the "dark king" in the guise of the chaos god, as of the latest lore

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Smugworth posted:

It's Nurgle and it's not even close.

Khorne is right out, there's nothing appealing about him. Tzeentch would be cool if not for the absolute certainty that you'll eventually fail and be betrayed because that is literally his nature, he can't ever win or there'd be nothing to plot about. Slaanesh is sex and drugs, which is cool on the face of it, except for how quickly it degenerates into "hey, you know what's really hot, rolling around in human feces while cutting pieces of yourself off, that's a sensation you haven't tried yet".

Papa Nurgle just loves you and wants to be happy and will give you billions of microscopic friends so that you'll never be alone again.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
need to go with the bird god

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're a representation of four ways nerds get really loving awful in confined nerd spaces: not bathing, conspiracy theories, being fuckin aggro, and sexual assault

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There’s a bit in a 40k novel where a Slaanesh cult leader gets very frustrated leading his men into battle because when the first guy gets shot a bunch of other guys see it and are like “holy poo poo that look like it hurts really bad, I wanna try it!” and run out of cover to try to get shot.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

they're a representation of four ways nerds get really loving awful in confined nerd spaces: not bathing, conspiracy theories, being fuckin aggro, and sexual assault

:ohno:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Would daddy nurgle come to my baseball games

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, large gatherings are superspreader events so yes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Smugworth posted:

Nuffle.

Although he's more of a small-c chaos god...

And technically not a 40k one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slaanesh seems to use the Cenobite definition of "sensation" which isn't actually appealing to most people, like maybe if you're already a serial killer sure but otherwise lol no thank you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rebel Blob posted:

Puts me in mind of this bit of animation. Not 40K, but relatively close all things considered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OQFslDKiI

Memories owned

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Slaanesh seems to use the Cenobite definition of "sensation" which isn't actually appealing to most people, like maybe if you're already a serial killer sure but otherwise lol no thank you.

Slaaneshi are pretty much Cenobites from day one, yeah.

Funny thing, Khorne is a lot closer to original Ares, just lacking going crying to his mommy when he actually gets hurt.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Slaaneshi are pretty much Cenobites from day one, yeah.
I mean, you can definitely start down the Slaanesh path with something as relatively banal as "you know what's cool, illicit rock and roll". You just go from 0 to Cenobite real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh yeah, they actually played down the sex stuff a bit to play up more the decadence, indulgence and thrill seeking, and it actually worked. And ego, most Slaaneshi champions are higher than anything on their own ego, it's canon.