Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/demsocsean/status/1787982937125757082?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FeinbergUSA/status/1787859925193953299
https://twitter.com/FeinbergUSA/status/1787925254876058105

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1787595027482300720

Danann has issued a correction as of 04:03 on May 8, 2024

selec
Sep 6, 2003

the only war Meghan McCain has ever fought is against the intrusive thoughts about what her husband really is

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Same coping vibes as on Veep with "Well, maybe Tom Hanks will die tonight."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's technically not wrong to say that whatever deal a previous President made can be rescinded by the next President, should they want to do so, but for Marcos to refuse to honor an arrangement that de-escalated tensions in the South China Sea is the wrong move, and is akin to Trump withdrawing from the JCPOA.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Rectal Death Alert posted:

The short, real, version is this is a complicated prosecution and Jack Smith was really trying to force the trial through impossibly fast but also has such a lovely case and lack of precedent that the Judge, correctly, wants more time to consider all of the motions that are piling up. For example the immunity case with the supreme court could invalidate this one, this is a civil offense that has never been charged federally and federal agencies have very publicly admitted they will not charge other people who are definitely guilty.

Properly considering the implications of things like that takes time. Jack Smith's response has been to shriek about how biased and terrible the judge is because she isn't letting him have his way.

The people that are weirdly upset about it are the ones that were relying on this to stop Trump. This is one of the "Big Ones" like the DC/GA cases so losing it is a pretty big blow if you are obsessed with politics to that degree.

Its very funny to see the degree to which the judicial system is being weaponized against Trump in a desperate attempt to stop him, but also the degree to which the same people are trying to avoid charging him with anything that might complicate life for other people

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

He is a member of the squad

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

Its very funny to see the degree to which the judicial system is being weaponized against Trump in a desperate attempt to stop him, but also the degree to which the same people are trying to avoid charging him with anything that might complicate life for other people

Fun fact, by the standards set by the Democrats Biden should now be impeached for holding up arms deliveries to Israel to try and compel policy decisions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://x.com/dwdavison/status/1788053668962369846?s=46

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Woke Mind Virus posted:

the Death Squad

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
just heard Kamala talking about ketchup packets and you know what, Joe needs to resign and give us the gift of her being president if only for a few months

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Joementum posted:

just heard Kamala talking about ketchup packets and you know what, Joe needs to resign and give us the gift of her being president if only for a few months

I still say the funniest possible option is Biden loses and then almost immediately dies, and Kamala gets to be lame duck

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

its called the ER bucko

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Woke Mind Virus posted:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

akira toriyama nooo!!!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

access

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Always
Choose
Centrist
Electeds for
Strategic
Success

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Messrs Trinquier and Massou were merely concerned about the policy direction of the republic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

It’s because, ironically in light of the Tooze thing, they refuse to connect politics to economics, since in their ideology politics is not a process that determines the allocation of resources within a society, the market does. Politics does nothing, really, it’s removed from material reality.

So differentiating “Democracy” and “Authoritarianism” can only be about aesthetics, and I suppose process - but the process of what is also waved away, since it would include material distribution. Remember in their minds you can’t, or ”shouldn’t” distribute resources democratically either. The people can vote on everything except food and shelter.

Neoliberalism killed their precious liberal capitalist democracy because on top of hollowing out all the institutions and everything, it’s just a pantomime of politics and people have no reason to participate in, or care about, it.

It’s why Biden is the perfect man of the moment because it shows that nothing matters, there is no politics, there’s no democracy, there’s not even an executive.

heres a bit I remembered reading your first sentence

Jodi Dean in Comrade: An Essay in Political Belonging (2019) posted:

Carl Schmitt famously characterized liberalism as replacing politics with ethics and economics.22 Correlatively, we should note the displacement of politics specific to neoliberalism. There is individualized self-cultivation, self-management, self-reliance, self-absorption, and—at the same time—impersonal determining processes, circuits, and systems.

We have responsible individuals, individuals who are responsibilized, treated as loci of autonomous choices and decisions, and we have individuals encountering situations that are utterly determining and outside their control.

Instead of ethics and economics, neoliberalism’s displacement of politics manifests in the opposition between survivors and systems. The former struggle to persist in conditions of unlivability rather than to seize and transform these conditions. The latter are systems and “hyperobjects” determining us, often aesthetic objects or objects of a future aesthetics, things to view and diagram and predict and perhaps even mourn, but not to affect.23

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Death Squad

:thurman:

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Angelica:
I'm a girl in a world in which my only job is to marry rich.
My father has no sons, so I'm the one who has to social climb for one.
So I'm the oldest and the wittiest and the gossip in New York City is insidious
And Alexander is penniless,
That doesn't mean I want him any less.

Eliza:
Elizabeth Schuyler, it's a pleasure to meet you.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lin-Manuel Miranda:
How does a wordsmith, son of immigrants and fame,
Stand before thee, in Immortal's game?
I've spun tales of revolution and grace,
But now I face a titan, a force to displace.

Immortal Technique:
Shut the gently caress up

Lin-Manuel Miranda:
But can you match the narrative flow,
Of "Hamilton," the tale that I bestow?
I've penned sonnets of revolution and strife,
To challenge me, you'll need more than a knife.

Immortal Technique:
Your Broadway charm, it may enthrall,
But in the streets, your words fall small.
You're a puppet of the system, a cog in the machine,
I'm the voice of the voiceless, the unseen.

[Immortal Technique swiftly moves, stuffing Lin-Manuel into the garbage can, leaving him stunned and silenced.]

Lin-Manuel Miranda:
[Struggling to free himself] Unhand me, brute! Release me from this plight!
In this clash of titans, I've lost the fight.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

The other day, in response a to a slew of articles that came out about my young life, Lin Manuel Miranda and many others were gracious enough to point out the changes I have made and the humanitarian actions I have been a part of since high school. After listening to the podcast that all of this originated from, we both found the click-bait headlines misleading. It was a story about personal growth and redemption, and people twisted it into us being long-time adversaries.

We have always been very proud of each others' success, and we even joked about these articles with each other on Twitter over the weekend. To this day I’m appreciative to say that we are friends, we are both staunch supporters of immigrant rights, and we will continue the fight against bigotry in our respective ways. I guess I could've taken the humorous route and said something like “And you thought it was hard for YOU to get tickets to Hamilton.” I just thought, that without a larger context, something could be lost in all this friendly exchange. I wouldn't want my supporters to get the impression that anyone was trying to normalize childish bullying, especially coming from someone who now fights for others.

People have told me that back in high school they saw me as both a reckless antagonist and a well-meaning vigilante. I protected the people close to me from kids in school and fought hard against outside groups looking to herb kids. But I also had very little patience with many of the kids who went there, and I even took my anger out on those who were trying to help me. I rarely stopped to think about what that person was going through. I thought by showing strength and power, people would fear me and therefore respect me. As a result I’m sorry to say that I hurt some of the people I should have been protecting. I ended up exacerbating a lot of my problems. And I guess at 17 it was hard for me to see that the person I was really fighting was myself.

I want to be very clear with my supporters, I wasn’t just a bully in as a kid, I was a criminal. I lived a very violent life. I did way worse things that I don’t choose to glorify — things worse than harassing kids and put them in trash cans. I robbed, I stole, I sold drugs, I ran with gangs. I have never hidden this part of myself. In a way growing out of that, helps me relate to the kids out there, sometimes a lot more than people who never experienced these things. But I can’t excuse my behavior by simply claiming I lived in a non-gentrified NYC.

As adults we like to think that children are going to come to us with all of their problems. The sad reality is that they often don’t. I used to see violence as the answer to all my problems with someone else. The sad reality is that when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail. I understand that there are some people who will never see me as anything more than the angry young person I was 20 years ago. I think that’s unfortunate, however as an adult I have to accept that and hope that at least some of them will look at my life’s work since then and understand that a real change is possible.

e: that is to say: LMM stays winning, and we must defend him

Lin-Manuel Turtle has issued a correction as of 08:58 on May 8, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

The other day, in response a to a slew of articles that came out about my young life, Lin Manuel Miranda and many others were gracious enough to point out the changes I have made and the humanitarian actions I have been a part of since high school. After listening to the podcast that all of this originated from, we both found the click-bait headlines misleading. It was a story about personal growth and redemption, and people twisted it into us being long-time adversaries.

We have always been very proud of each others' success, and we even joked about these articles with each other on Twitter over the weekend. To this day I’m appreciative to say that we are friends, we are both staunch supporters of immigrant rights, and we will continue the fight against bigotry in our respective ways. I guess I could've taken the humorous route and said something like “And you thought it was hard for YOU to get tickets to Hamilton.” I just thought, that without a larger context, something could be lost in all this friendly exchange. I wouldn't want my supporters to get the impression that anyone was trying to normalize childish bullying, especially coming from someone who now fights for others.

People have told me that back in high school they saw me as both a reckless antagonist and a well-meaning vigilante. I protected the people close to me from kids in school and fought hard against outside groups looking to herb kids. But I also had very little patience with many of the kids who went there, and I even took my anger out on those who were trying to help me. I rarely stopped to think about what that person was going through. I thought by showing strength and power, people would fear me and therefore respect me. As a result I’m sorry to say that I hurt some of the people I should have been protecting. I ended up exacerbating a lot of my problems. And I guess at 17 it was hard for me to see that the person I was really fighting was myself.

I want to be very clear with my supporters, I wasn’t just a bully in as a kid, I was a criminal. I lived a very violent life. I did way worse things that I don’t choose to glorify — things worse than harassing kids and put them in trash cans. I robbed, I stole, I sold drugs, I ran with gangs. I have never hidden this part of myself. In a way growing out of that, helps me relate to the kids out there, sometimes a lot more than people who never experienced these things. But I can’t excuse my behavior by simply claiming I lived in a non-gentrified NYC.

As adults we like to think that children are going to come to us with all of their problems. The sad reality is that they often don’t. I used to see violence as the answer to all my problems with someone else. The sad reality is that when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail. I understand that there are some people who will never see me as anything more than the angry young person I was 20 years ago. I think that’s unfortunate, however as an adult I have to accept that and hope that at least some of them will look at my life’s work since then and understand that a real change is possible.

I forgive you Joe Biden for your attacks on Cornpop.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

selec posted:

the only war Meghan McCain has ever fought is against the intrusive thoughts about what her husband really is

the only war shes ever fought is the one with herself over whether to eat a fourth cheeseburger

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say the funniest possible option is Biden loses and then almost immediately dies, and Kamala gets to be lame duck

Absolutely

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

Absolutely

And we can tell the liberals they can smile at this historic day because there is the first woman President

Just do nothing but congratulate them, every day, in every interaction

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Woke Mind Virus posted:

The Squat.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/susannecraig/status/1788162985527058703

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

He's a plus size scrunt.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Would you still love me

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

The squatch.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

many such cases

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I actually had to click on the link to make sure this was real and, uh, I guess that explains a lot about him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

your worm: dead, empty, nothing

my worm: thriving, posting, learning

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wait brainworms are real????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

come on