Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FreudianSlippers posted:

Did spending a few decades as a colony of the US really have more of a linguistic impact than spending 300 years as a Spanish colony?

1 year in Spain time equates to 1 hours American time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oldpainless posted:

1 year in Spain time equates to 1 hours American time

Man, metric doesn’t make as much sense as people say.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Phanatic posted:

Man, metric doesn’t make as much sense as people say.

No, no, it's just the conversion that's weird. So, yeah you've got that, but then everything else is in 10s.

So
1 year = 10 months
1 month = 10 days
1 day = 10 hours

it's such an easier system, Americans

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Morpheus posted:

No, no, it's just the conversion that's weird. So, yeah you've got that, but then everything else is in 10s.

So
1 year = 10 months
1 month = 10 days
1 day = 10 hours

it's such an easier system, Americans

Remember this moment, people. 80 past 2 on April 47th. It's the dawn of an enlightened Springfield.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Watched TMNT: Mutant Mayhem. Fuckin' loved it. But the villain revealed their plan of mutating everything on the planet, like it was a good thing for mutants, because it would eliminate humans. Yeah. It'd eliminate mutants too. Every bug, every fish, every single thing being even half the size of a human would destroy the planet. Not only would the necessary space mean that you literally couldn't move, even if things didn't crush themselves, the ecosystem would be destroyed and they wouldn't live much longer. Forget humanity, everything would be dead. Annoys me that no one brings that point up.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Illegal Hen
I figured it's the classic Magneto from the X-Men move: make everything X so you're not in the ostracized minority any more.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Or much like Sauron, he doesn't want to cure cancer, he wants to make people into dinosaurs.

Marcade has a new favorite as of 20:23 on May 8, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, if he cured cancer while making people into dinosaurs, I'm pretty sure he would just have unlimited wealth at that point.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Fun fact: it has been literally millions of years since a dinosaur had cancer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Good, I don't want dinosaurs to have cancer.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Dinosaurs never had the cancer, it wasn't invented yet, that's why sharks don't get it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Birds die of cancer all the time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pfft, birds aren't real.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like Oblivion a whole lot. It has a fantastic look and vibe and the actors bring a great energy to it. But it very much feels like an European sci-fi comic you rent from the library that only has most of the issues, and some very exciting issues just aren't there. Never mind the invasion of the army of Tom Cruises that apparently swept away what remained of earth's defenses, I wanna know what happens after the end because there is bound to be more than one more Tom Cruise left. That specific Tom Cruise was searching for the hut because he met the other Tom Cruise, but what happens when the other 500 or however many Tom Cruises start leaving their posts? Also, the surviving Andrea Riseboroughs are going to go through some interesting times now that their emotional anchor in the Tet is gone. I wanna see all that, where is my Oblivion 2?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I fiiiiinally finished You season 2 (after the episode Just the Tip, where a mob thug STEALS JOE’S loving PINKY squicked me out bad enough to put it down for years).

My IIMM is that there are apparently like two more seasons with another final one coming?!? :psyduck: Like…even ignoring how perfect and fitting the season 2 finale would be to wrap up the whole show really nicely…how the gently caress can they come anywhere near the insanity of the last three episodes? Even guessing one of the major twists (I mean, it wasn’t super hard - Henderson straight up warns Joe “Love is the fakest one of all!” before he falls down the stairs and dies) it was still pretty mindblowing how it all played out. I just don’t really see how it can try to reach that peak again.

Also the whole “noted-child-predator Chris d’Elia-playing-a-child-predator-and-not-for-the-first-time” thing is hosed to hell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Season 3 definitely escalates things. It is a self-aware stupid and campy show, there is always room for more.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why must people start yelling/shouting for help and turning their lights on when actively fleeing from underground monsters? Even the kind that can't see can still hear you, especially in such an echo-y environment, so stop acting so shocked that they end up finding you.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Season 3 definitely escalates things. It is a self-aware stupid and campy show, there is always room for more.

It is delicious schlock. Season 4 wasn't amazing but the setup for the final season seems promising.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching the Marvels movie where they have to remove some magic bangles from the villain's arm. And all I can think off is "why not remove her arm?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Watching the Marvels movie where they have to remove some magic bangles from the villain's arm. And all I can think off is "why not remove her arm?"

But the bangles would still be on the arm, so they haven't achieved their objective.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Captain Marvel, who is now strong enough to reignite a star without effort, having to go hand-to-hand with a bunch of mooks on multiple occasions and unable to defend a Skrull colony from attack by half a dozen small craft.

Absolutely adored Iman Vellani, but everything else in that movie was just dumb.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ghostbusters 3 2

How are Stay-Puft Marshmallows still a popular brand when a giant version of the mascot rampaged through NYC in the 80s, anyway? No such thing as bad publicity I suppose.

Also how does EPA Agent Walter Peck become mayor after that colossal fuckup

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

stringless posted:

Ghostbusters 3 2

Also how does EPA Agent Walter Peck become mayor after that colossal fuckup

They briefly touch on this in Ghostbusters 2, which I do not blame you if you don't remember, where Ray and Winston are reminiscing and mentioned that they got sued by anyone and everyone, after the events of the first movie. I could easily see Peck spinning the disaster as a predictable result of ignoring his guidance, crafting a narrative which leads him to success in politics.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Also Peck is like, only a bad guy if you're some kind of libertarian - he turns up asking to assess the environmental impact of ghostbusting (an entirely new industry using experimental equipment) and noted sex pest Peter Venkman fucks him off purely for the sake of it :v:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

Also Peck is like, only a bad guy if you're some kind of libertarian -
Yes, that's literally why he was written that way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pilchenstein posted:

Also Peck is like, only a bad guy if you're some kind of libertarian - he turns up asking to assess the environmental impact of ghostbusting (an entirely new industry using experimental equipment) and noted sex pest Peter Venkman fucks him off purely for the sake of it :v:

I think Peck was the last time the EPA were shown as the bad guys in a Hollywood flick.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think Peck was the last time the EPA were shown as the bad guys in a Hollywood flick.

You've got to remember it was the 80s and Reagan was in the White House.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Phanatic posted:

Which makes it even more impressive that Peck had any authority to do anything

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
it always bothered me that the city and the whole world goes "fake news" on the busters. like this was funny and a harmless IIMM before 2016, and now its just a accurate prediction of human nature

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Bustin did not make Peck feel good

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

My IMM is I get William Atherton and Jeffrey Jones confused and one is a movie rear end in a top hat and one is a real monster.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Walter Peck did nothing wrong.

PhazonLink posted:

it always bothered me that the city and the whole world goes "fake news" on the busters. like this was funny and a harmless IIMM before 2016, and now its just a accurate prediction of human nature
In the new movie there is a whole Ghostbusters megacorp with R&D and scientists. I was under the impression that ghosts were a known thing since the original movie and had basically been reduced to a pest control complaint.

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Ommin posted:

Walter Peck did nothing wrong.

In the new movie there is a whole Ghostbusters megacorp with R&D and scientists. I was under the impression that ghosts were a known thing since the original movie and had basically been reduced to a pest control complaint.

As far as establishing a "universe" they'e in a weird place where they killed Bill Murray but revived Harold Ramis. And Muray I think.

I haven't seen the new cool one.

Oh and yeah I'm pro government oversite but not at the cost of just slamming the lid open on the ghost storage machine. That's loving stupid.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

QR Code Geass posted:

Oh and yeah I'm pro government oversite but not at the cost of just slamming the lid open on the ghost storage machine. That's loving stupid.
Yeah, Peck was too much of a maverick. Where were the committees???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The IDW comics that go on from the original movies take a funny tack; the Ghostbusters basically get nationalised and Walter Peck is put in charge of them. He does actually try to do his job.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zero_Grade posted:

Bustin did not make Peck feel good

How could it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

QR Code Geass posted:

As far as establishing a "universe" they'e in a weird place where they killed Bill Murray but revived Harold Ramis. And Muray I think.

I haven't seen the new cool one.

I think they've basically thrown the 2016 movie out the continuity window which is why Murray is not dead. And also the guy he played in the 2016 one wasn't Venkman.

Also my IIMM is that whenever I watch Never Say Never Again (which is more often than it should be) I think that William Atherton is in it, but it's actually Gavan O'herlihy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fil5000 posted:

William Atherton

Gavan O'herlihy

loving hell.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

loving hell.

Is this a "you're a faceblind idiot" loving hell or a different one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

There is a near-legendary review of the original Ghostbusters that described the movie as "a searing indictment of the Reagan administration".

No, I don't understand either.