Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Not a personal frequenter, obvs, but I have occasionally heard some horror stories about womens' bathrooms. Turns out being disgusting is an equal opportunity thing.

When I had a job that including cleaning loos, my general observation was that the women's was generally cleaner but when it was bad it was horrifically bad. The men maintained a generally constant mid-level grottiness, mostly involving a remarkable ability to get piss anywhere except where it was supposed to go.

Every few weeks the ladies would seemingly decide to fling every single bodily fluid and emission and every sort of sanitary product around one furious vortex, then the place would be pristine for the next 6-8 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Even ignoring him thinking the RA run Ireland?

Might want to google the phrase Fine Gael.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

feedmegin posted:

Not a personal frequenter, obvs, but I have occasionally heard some horror stories about womens' bathrooms. Turns out being disgusting is an equal opportunity thing.

I've heard exactly the same, but my theory is each responsible party might be a tiny bit more responsible if folks of another gender are present.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I used to clean toilets for work. Women can be just as, if not even more, disgusting than the men. Men just piss on the floor. Women left the place looking like a bomb site and some of them just pissed in their seats and left tissues on it to mop it up.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

radmonger posted:

Ah formed from a merger of The National Center party (sounds good/sensible) and a group called the Blueshirts, I wonder who they were.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The final straw for me is when I was in 2nd year (Year 8 in the new money) and was in love with a boy in the 5th year (Year 11 in the new money) and he cosied up me one evening when we were rehearsing a school play or something & asked me if I liked the new Slade. I had no idea who Slade were. End of beautiful potential relationship.

Probably for the best tbh, that age gap is more than a bit sus...

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Ah formed from a merger of The National Center party (sounds good/sensible) and a group called the Blueshirts, I wonder who they were.

Not defending Musk specifically, but the general American understanding of Irish politics is something like that the evil British unconstitutionally banned guns. So Michael Collins heroically crossed the Liffey, formed the IRA, and won the battle of Derry Town. There is just an annoying remnant to the North still under British occupation that they will get around to liberating any day now.

This view is not entirely wrong, or at least not much wronger than a similarly flippant summary of the British position.

Point is, when someone outside the UK talks about the IRA, that is the group they mean. The modern, ‘provisional’ IRA didn’t even get to officially inherit their name.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

radmonger posted:

It's kind of played out in horror films imo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

radmonger posted:

Not defending Musk specifically, but the general American understanding of Irish politics is something like that the evil British unconstitutionally banned guns. So Michael Collins heroically crossed the Liffey, formed the IRA, and won the battle of Derry Town. There is just an annoying remnant to the North still under British occupation that they will get around to liberating any day now.

This view is not entirely wrong, or at least not much wronger than a similarly flippant summary of the British position.

Point is, when someone outside the UK talks about the IRA, that is the group they mean. The modern, ‘provisional’ IRA didn’t even get to officially inherit their name.

That's the kind of small put of date viewing of Angelo-Irish history that would make sense to an American who might have some tangential connection to Ireland.
Like it's wrong on many levels, but bears some connection to history.

No, that Tweet from Musk is far worse when you understand the background to it.
It's a response to a tweet from Ian Miles Cheong, a man who lives in a basement in Malaysia and makes his money constantly talking about politics from other countries in the world. Countries he has and will never visit.

Anyway, IMC made a post about "how Ireland objected to the British coming over and stealing their land....yet they let people from Africa come in and live there. So obviously, they are hypocrites."
This is racist and stupid on so many levels.
It gets worse when Musk makes the above post which essentially says that the IRA have lost their touch because they have gone woke and aren't knee capping asylum seekers?

As was said earlier by Guavanaut, it's a flash bang. It's a phrase so stupid that it stuns you to think about it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JoshGafson1/status/1788165036931748075

tldr: A Tory has crossed the chamber to join the other Tory party in order to save her career

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Came to post that. A hard line anti immigration Tory who backed Liz Truss to be PM. I think accusations of Starmer being David Cameron in a red tie might be too generous.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not standing at the next election, apparently.

Still gross though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

radmonger posted:

I mean I'm by no means an expert on Irish history but are you telling me that the IRA he's talking about are the 1919-1922 group?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My full knowledge of Irish politics is based on that Rubberbandits song about who's in the ra.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

sebzilla posted:

Not standing at the next election, apparently.

Still gross though.

I'm willing to bet a packet of Monster Munch (the good flavour) that she'll change her mind before the GE

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
reading the guardian liveblog on PMQs just to check what was up with the defection and jesus christ the exchanges between sunak and starmer are so loving lame not even jesus could make them walk. absolutely dire country

e: just been reminded of how she was elected (they're voting hard tory there, labour aren't getting in)

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 8, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gonzo McFee posted:

Came to post that. A hard line anti immigration Tory who backed Liz Truss to be PM. I think accusations of Starmer being David Cameron in a red tie might be too generous.

I knew she was the wife of Charlie Elphicke but I looked her up and saw:

- Wife of Charlie Elphicke who got convicted of sexual assault and sentenced to two years

- Supported his appeal against the sentence

- "Found to have breached their code of conduct by the Commons Select Committee on Standards for attempting to influence senior judges in November 2020 in her husband's sentencing appeal after his conviction for sexual assault"

- Sold the story of her divorce to The Sun for £25k

Seems like a principled lady.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Burying the lead there of her replacing her sexual harassment husband. I thought the surname sounded familiar lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I mean I'm by no means an expert on Irish history but are you telling me that the IRA he's talking about are the 1919-1922 group?
There was a an anti-immigration protest in Dublin on Monday, and there have been attempted attacks on immigration centres, so (whether he is aware of that or not) he's not really talking about any past or present republican group, he's heavily implying that the violent elements of those lot should form an army on the IRA model.

I don't think he's even put in enough thought about which specific 'IRA model' that means, just violent action. It's stochastic terrorism by way of being incredibly stupid and malicious (and racist).

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
If you don't like the conservatives then sit as an independent.

Taking in someone who voted with the government is bonkers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

radmonger posted:

I don't know whose farts you've been huffing other than Tony Blair's, but what is this pish? You really think the first thing people outside of Britain think of when they think of the IRA is the Irish War of Independence rather than the provos & their campaign that only ended within living memory? Going to call completely bollocks on that one. The idea that even the Plastic Paddies in Boston have any concept of Irish history is laughable.

Mind you, we have copied the Irish in one regard, where our country is captured by two centre right parties who basically agree on everything except who gets the spoils. Truly neoliberalism wins again, at the expense of everyone.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 8, 2024

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

domhal posted:

If you don't like the conservatives then sit as an independent.

big tent innit.

quote:

Today I announce that I have decided to join the Labour Party and that I will sit in Parliament as a Labour MP.

When I was elected in 2019, the Conservative Party occupied the centre ground of British politics. The party was about building the future and making the most of the opportunities that lay ahead for our country.

Since then, many things have changed. The elected Prime Minister was ousted in a coup led by the unelected Rishi Sunak. Under Rishi Sunak, the Conservatives have become a byword for incompetence and division. The centre ground has been abandoned and key pledges of the 2019 manifesto have been ditched.

Meanwhile the Labour Party has changed out of all recognition. Since 2019, it has moved on from Jeremy Corbyn and now, under Keir Starmer, occupies the centre ground of British politics. It has accepted Brexit and its economic policies and defence policies are responsible and can be trusted.

Most significantly for me, the modern Labour Party looks to the future – to building a Britain of hope, optimism, opportunity and fairness. A Britain everyone can be part of.

I have carefully considered this decision. The change has been dramatic and cannot be ignored. For me key deciding factors have been housing and the safety and security of our borders.

From small boats to biosecurity, Rishi Sunak’s government is failing to keep our borders safe and secure. Lives are being lost in the English Channel while small boat arrivals are once again at record levels. It’s clear they have failed to keep our borders secure and cannot be trusted.

On housing, Rishi Sunak’s Government is now failing to build the homes we need. Last year saw the largest fall of new housing starts in England in a single year since the credit crunch. The manifesto committed to 300,000 homes next year – but only around half that number are now set to be built. Renters and leaseholders have been betrayed as manifesto pledges to end no fault evictions and abolish ground rents have not been delivered as promised.

The last couple of years have also seen a huge rise in homelessness, in temporary accommodation and rough sleeping - with record numbers of children now in temporary accommodation, without a secure roof over their head.

Meanwhile Labour plan to build the homes we need, help young people onto the housing ladder and care about the vulnerable and homeless. That’s why I’m honoured to have been asked to work with Keir and the team to help deliver the homes we need.

We need to move on from the broken promises of Rishi Sunak’s tired and chaotic Government. Britain needs a Government that will build a future of hope, optimism, opportunity and fairness. A Britain everyone can be part of, that will make the most of the opportunities that lie ahead. That’s why it’s time for change. Time for a Labour Government led by Keir Starmer. The General Election cannot come soon enough.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's always easiest and most accurate to assume musk is saying something dumb and racist and dumber than your initial cold reading of what he says, because his brain is rotted cottage cheese on a diet of weird Twitter nazi stupidity, and he was never smart to begin with.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

domhal posted:

Wouldn't they just see "this person tows the line and has no conviction, they'll fit right in"?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Honest anyway, IMHO

Annoyingly, though (to me) is that the bottom half of the article is quotes by Galloway which could be read as quotes by Monty if you're not careful.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/monty-panesar-george-galloway-general-election-workers-party-b2541470.html

quote:

“I now want to do my bit to help others but I recognise I am at the beginning of my journey and still learning about how politics can help people.

“So today I am withdrawing as a General Election candidate for The Workers Party. I realise I need more time to listen, learn and find my political home, one that aligns with my personal and political values.”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What a genuinely stupid man. He'd fit in well in the HoC

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

radmonger posted:

Not sure about your own experience but I've lived in the USA and Canada and this is not my experience in the slightest. People aren't well educated on the topic of Ireland but when they talk about the IRA they are referring to the contemporary groups or the organization as it existed from the Troubles to the GFA.

I recall shocking a few people when I told them the IRA existed before the 1970s.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For Elon, history began when apartheid fell and the wonderland he'd heretofore known as the world came crashing down.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I feel any defectors can have the seat until the next GE, if they want to be candidate then locally they need to be elected as the candidate.

https://twitter.com/MikeTappTweets appears to be the candidate

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Wouldn't they just see "this person tows the line and has no conviction, they'll fit right in"?

And some more bad press for Sunak. Are there any knife-edge commons votes coming up?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/NatalieElphicke/status/1611059923516854285?t=0Okjx2fshPwezHxln3C42w&s=19

Lmao Jesus

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
very cool thank you natalie

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

At the behest of a single quantum impulse the Tory government went from centre-ground sensibles to chaos merchants and Starmer's Labour went from relaunching boats to centre ground sensibles.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/may/08/a-week-is-a-long-time-in-politics-monty-panesar-quits-workers-party-after-seven-days

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To stop a bad guy in a small boat, we need a good guy in a small boat.

(Pictured: a small guy in a bad boat)

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Learning all about the newly instituted UK Murder Force

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BBC News - England cricketer Monty Panesar quits George Galloway's party
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68976806

lol bless him the dumb gently caress

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Paladinus posted:

To stop a bad guy in a small boat, we need a good guy in a small boat.

(Pictured: a small guy in a bad boat)

I will proudly use my vote for a good guy in a big boat.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We had to use the women’s toilets at the office for a day once due to a plumbing issue and they were eye-openingly horrendous.

In the gents the worst we’d ever see is the occasional splashed seat without a courtesy wipe, while the women had apparently been going hard as gently caress in theirs to the point they had blood and snot wiped on the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Skull Servant posted:

I will proudly use my vote for a good guy in a big boat.

which seat is luffy standing in