Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

In-universe, too. On the Tarellian ship from Haven:

Pahpshmir must be a time lord. He exists in The Naked Gun, Babylon 5 and Star Trek TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

In-universe, too. On the Tarellian ship from Haven:

Man, that culture loves their orbs.

I assume that's why they have a bald man as captain.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Knormal posted:

It appears to be something of a theme, doesn't it?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Knormal posted:

That's why the first officer lady is there too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I finished up TNG season 3 and that season really does fire on all cylinders after the halfway point. Let's hope season 4 keeps up the momentum.

"Family" was pretty cute. I didn't expect Worf's parents to be so Russian.

His dad was one of the first people in Fiddler On The Roof!
Also it makes me laugh that his parents are from Minsk and are constantly called Russian. I guess Belarus never existed in the Trek Universe?

But also technically worf was raised on Gault rather than on Earth

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

I’m pleasantly surprised the Ex Astris Scientia guy even acknowledges any Trek from the last ten years exists.

He's classified Discovery and SNW as a different timeline.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Taear posted:

Also it makes me laugh that his parents are from Minsk and are constantly called Russian. I guess Belarus never existed in the Trek Universe?

People can move. William Shatner is a Canadian who's lived in Los Angeles for most of his life.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

MikeJF posted:

The inside of that guy’s mind must be an amazing dimension to visit.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Taear posted:

Maybe World War 3 had something to do with it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

The inside of that guy’s mind must be an amazing dimension to visit.

Bernd is this borderline insane weird Trek gatekeeper. Dude was on the front lines of the internet culture war trying to proclaim Enterprise non-canon back in the 00s. This is not his first rodeo. And by "rodeo" I mean "being weird and mad about Star Trek".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And the other main guy maintaining the site is the most wholesome 'It's all Trek and I love it all regardless!' guy and somehow they exist in some kind of unholy alliance.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It's no "canon is an illusion" but, baby steps

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Continuity can be a wonderful thing for telling stories but it's been abused by money sucking assholes for so long that the idea of interconnected stories or a shared universe can be almost off putting now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
When it's not good for telling the story being told, it's not worth preserving.

It's weird canon has the expectation of being one consistent thing when the canon of biblical texts can vary so widely people form different religions out of their chosen canon. Canon is whatever you and enough people who agree with you say it is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taear posted:

I guess Belarus never existed in the Trek Universe?

Well, it didn't exist in 1987.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Taear posted:

Like 8 percent of Belarus is ethnic Russians

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Taear posted:

His dad was one of the first people in Fiddler On The Roof!

But also technically worf was raised on Gault rather than on Earth

I hate getting political but isn't Belarus essentially Russia's meat shield? Have they ever not done exactly as they were told by big daddy Putin?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hate getting political but isn't Belarus essentially Russia's meat shield? Have they ever not done exactly as they were told by big daddy Putin?

That's because of the current regime and their dictator used to be a big guy in USSR. The popular opposition wants Belarus to become its own thing, and go towards EU.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

I finished up TNG season 3 and that season really does fire on all cylinders after the halfway point. Let's hope season 4 keeps up the momentum.

"Family" was pretty cute. I didn't expect Worf's parents to be so Russian.

The biggest thing I wish we could have seen in TNG and DS9 is Worfs extended family interacting with each other. I wanna see Kurn make awkward small talk with the Rozhenkos. I want to see Alex bonding with Jeremy Aster, cos yeah he's never met this weird human dweeb, but family is family.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The biggest thing I wish we could have seen in TNG and DS9 is Worfs extended family interacting with each other. I wanna see Kurn make awkward small talk with the Rozhenkos.

Holy poo poo I don't know how I've never thought about this before, but I haven't and now I can't think of anything else.

THIS DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kurn in an ugly sweater staring at the Christmas pig roast

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I will consume some of your burnt, replicated swine meat. Because it is what you humans call a “special occasion”, and for that reason only.

edit: VVVVVV yeah, like that VVVVVV

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 8, 2024

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Apollodorus posted:

I will... conSUME... some of your burnt, replicated... SWINE meat. Because it is what ... you HUmans... call a “special... ocCASion”, and ... for that reason ... only.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kurn should have been sent to live with Worf's other brother.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

That's because of the current regime and their dictator used to be a big guy in USSR. The popular opposition wants Belarus to become its own thing, and go towards EU.

Belarus as a nation state is practically brand new. "Belarusian" was a linguistic region inside the fluid borders of Lithuania, Poland, and Russia from the moment the group emerged in the 1200s. There wouldn't be a Belarus until 1918 and that was was only for like 10 months before just going back to being part of the Russian Empire (under the new Soviet branding). The Belarus that shows up in 1991 was a first fully sovereign and sustained Belarusian state ever.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
A Star Trek spinoff where it's just a family sitcom starring Paul Sorvino, Tony Todd, and Alexander (portrayed by a 4th actor) is something I would actually watch.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

counterfeitsaint posted:

A Star Trek spinoff where it's just a family sitcom starring Paul Sorvino, Tony Todd, and Alexander (portrayed by a 4th actor) is something I would actually watch.

Most amazing spin I’ve heard yet on the Two and a Half Men concept, ngl

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sash! posted:

Belarus as a nation state is practically brand new. "Belarusian" was a linguistic region inside the fluid borders of Lithuania, Poland, and Russia from the moment the group emerged in the 1200s. There wouldn't be a Belarus until 1918 and that was was only for like 10 months before just going back to being part of the Russian Empire (under the new Soviet branding). The Belarus that shows up in 1991 was a first fully sovereign and sustained Belarusian state ever.

I hate to be that poster but nothing I said contradicted what you said. In the recent developments the Belarusian people wanted to go towards West and down the line join the EU, but their current leader Captain Combover threw out the 2020 election results and Putin sent an army group to Belarus to quell the civil uprising. It was before close to Russia, but especially afterwards just a nominally independent extension to Putin's empire ran by USSR has-been.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I just watched 2012 and it was great to see Vreenak there as a general. He didn't get many lines but it reminded me I'd seen him in a weird horror film where he was a radio DJ (Pontypool I think is the name)

Yup, Pontypool is a great nontraditional zombie flick and Stephen McHattie is always welcome when he shows up in something. Sometimes I don't recognize him right off the bat but usually I go "hey, this dude's got amazingly thin little lips, is that McHattie? Oh yeah it is"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Didn't there used to be a single-serving website tracking appearances of the Balls Chair?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

I hate to be that poster but nothing I said contradicted what you said.

I was adding to what you said not correcting you

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sash! posted:

I was adding to what you said not correcting you

Ah, sorry.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

At this point in history, it's probably more likely that Belarus is (re)annexed by Russia at some point than Irish reunification through violence. And we all agree that's coming this year, right?

Or, if you wanna be generous, maybe the Belarusian identity stopped being important after planetary unification? I would imagine that the concept of "Belgian" would be gone in 20 years if it stopped being a country, maybe it's the same for future Belarus?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BonHair posted:

At this point in history, it's probably more likely that Belarus is (re)annexed by Russia at some point than Irish reunification through violence. And we all agree that's coming this year, right?

Or, if you wanna be generous, maybe the Belarusian identity stopped being important after planetary unification? I would imagine that the concept of "Belgian" would be gone in 20 years if it stopped being a country, maybe it's the same for future Belarus?

Its probably not exactly the same as I have understood, Belgians themselves don't consider to be Belgians, but Flemish or Wallonians, unless they are from Brussels which is its own thing. Belarus, as mentioned by Sash! is a cultural identity that has for centuries been a linguistic region which is similar and at the same time a different from all national identities of the region until they got a Soviet people's republic to run a century ago and own country when USSR collapsed.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

They aren’t anything, they’re cosplaying like Worf does with Klingon culture.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

They aren’t anything, they’re cosplaying like Worf does with Klingon culture.

I'm pretty sure that Putin said this about Ukraine so now we've hit every box

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

Star Trek doesn't really do well with "what happened after world war 3" because surely realistically no nation states would still exist. How does Mogadishu (where Geordie is from) or (especially, really) Paris still exist?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Taear posted:

Star Trek doesn't really do well with "what happened after world war 3" because surely realistically no nation states would still exist. How does Mogadishu (where Geordie is from) or (especially, really) Paris still exist?

Who would launch a nuke at Somalia?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Taear posted:

Rebuilt by nanites before they all forgot what they were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Who would launch a nuke at Somalia?

Who would launch a nuke at Richmond, Indiana?
Kinda hard to know what the political makeup of the trek world of the 2020s is