Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To be really hyper efficient about it, take the claims bordering claims age ability and use that to get a war declaration on any site of reformation and force religion in victory. For nations that are too large, annex the relevant province and convert.

Even if you get only 3/6 of them the reformation will be pathetically small. If you get enough of them there won't even be a league war and some mildly weird poo poo will happen as the game kinda goes crack/ping on it's HRE event script and the pope will get pissed off at you for being too soft as you'll never have a chance to make Catholicism the official hre religion even though you literally stabbed every heretic to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

CommonShore posted:

To be really hyper efficient about it, take the claims bordering claims age ability and use that to get a war declaration on any site of reformation and force religion in victory. For nations that are too large, annex the relevant province and convert.

Even if you get only 3/6 of them the reformation will be pathetically small. If you get enough of them there won't even be a league war and some mildly weird poo poo will happen as the game kinda goes crack/ping on it's HRE event script and the pope will get pissed off at you for being too soft as you'll never have a chance to make Catholicism the official hre religion even though you literally stabbed every heretic to death.

the claims bordering claims is one of the age abilities which is so insanely powerful once you figure out how to use it, no where’s safe!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jel Shaker posted:

the claims bordering claims is one of the age abilities which is so insanely powerful once you figure out how to use it, no where’s safe!

oh yeah, especially with cobeligerance and exploiting ally networks. My Austria/Revoke/One Faith WC I completely snuffed the reformation as above by using CBC and going two steps deep on my war dec to get into a war with some central german OPM site of reformation - totally worth it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Ok another question on HRE mechanics since it has been a bit. Can I as emperor attack members since I have permanent claims or is that ill advised?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dirk Pitt posted:

Ok another question on HRE mechanics since it has been a bit. Can I as emperor attack members since I have permanent claims or is that ill advised?

There's nothing stopping you. Whether or not you want to depends on your goals. If you intend to revoke, then you should strive to have as many countries as possible in the HRE, to generate imperial authority. If you're just temporarily emperor but you don't really care longterm, then this is a good chance to conquer the free cities.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Playing the new Exwes mission tree in the bitbucket version of Anbennar. I'm the Emperor and my old ruler just died and my powerful mage heir took over. He rolled legendary in necromancy. Time to see what happens if the Emperor becomes a lich!

Also the new Lorent setup is interesting. In my game their vassals all broke free and now Lencenor is a thunderdome

I just downloaded the latest version off here
https://bitbucket.org/JayBean/anbennar-eu4-fork-public-build/downloads/
, and yet I don't see any Exwes missions. Am i missing something? Is there a cooler better site to acquire the latest hottest versions?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jay Rust posted:

I just downloaded the latest version off here
https://bitbucket.org/JayBean/anbennar-eu4-fork-public-build/downloads/
, and yet I don't see any Exwes missions. Am i missing something? Is there a cooler better site to acquire the latest hottest versions?

That looks like the right commit. Are you sure you're loading that version of the mod and not the steam version?

e: So is this next patch going to be the Cannor refresh, then?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah they've started posting the Dev Diaries for it, here and here

Escann Goblin formable is neat but no way am I ever gonna be able to form it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

There's nothing stopping you. Whether or not you want to depends on your goals. If you intend to revoke, then you should strive to have as many countries as possible in the HRE, to generate imperial authority. If you're just temporarily emperor but you don't really care longterm, then this is a good chance to conquer the free cities.

Aha, so I am France and want to revoke. Instead of running through northern Italy, I should retake the Italian States and add them to the HRE?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dirk Pitt posted:

Aha, so I am France and want to revoke. Instead of running through northern Italy, I should retake the Italian States and add them to the HRE?

yeah if you're playing to revoke the game plan is to attack any country bordering the HRE that you get the "Add to HRE" CB on, and for any bordering country that's too big, attack them and make them release nations which will border the HRE (and usually be very happy to join if they're the right religion and you have good dip rep, which you do), and then just annex provinces which do neither or pass them off to other members.

Do some planning ahead once you're getting into the Balkans, Anatolia, North Africa, and Russia as to which members/vassals will get the land, particularly if you can release a few who have good mil ideas so that their armies are strong later in the game. E.g. if Prussia exists, feed them so they're your largest subject.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

The French revoke plan you probably want to take the path where you make best buddies with the Pope and eventually just get the entirity of Italy as Papal States as a vassal though.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #11

An overview of the military. Things seems very similar for now, with the exception of the addition of CK-style levies and a new 'auxiliary' unit type. Manpower remains a distinct resource from population, representing trained soldiers, and is used to maintain regiments as well as create them (meaning manpower gain serves as the effective force limit for your army). Losses in battle and to attrition are translated into pop losses.

At the end it mentions separate talks on the combat system and logistics. If those have been overhauled it would be a far bigger shift in how combat works than we've seen so far.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Can’t wait to crater my population Paraguay style through endless warmongering.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sybot posted:

Tinto Talks #11

An overview of the military. Things seems very similar for now, with the exception of the addition of CK-style levies and a new 'auxiliary' unit type. Manpower remains a distinct resource from population, representing trained soldiers, and is used to maintain regiments as well as create them (meaning manpower gain serves as the effective force limit for your army). Losses in battle and to attrition are translated into pop losses.

At the end it mentions separate talks on the combat system and logistics. If those have been overhauled it would be a far bigger shift in how combat works than we've seen so far.
I'm not sure how this is very similar. The way I read it, your early standing army is gonna be tiny compared to levies and mercenaries, outside cultures that have access to special poo poo like the hordes, which could dramatically change how warfare feels in the first half of the game.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Can’t wait to crater my population Paraguay style through endless warmongering.
Recruiting every mercenary on the continent and placing them on a Swiss mountaintop, in the hopes of eliminating warfare in Europe for a generation. (Assuming mercenaries also suffer population losses)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Excited for the new bugs and exploits Winds of Change will introduce.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sybot posted:

Tinto Talks #11

I really don't understand why they're sticking with CK style levies, and there seems to be a complete absence of military forces drawn from the estates, which should be super common at the beginning of the game. Service aristocracies were hella common.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MonsieurChoc posted:

Excited for the new bugs and exploits Winds of Change will introduce.

Seems like you can do some nice and juicy stuff with the new Aztec/Inca/Maya content.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I really don't understand why they're sticking with CK style levies, and there seems to be a complete absence of military forces drawn from the estates, which should be super common at the beginning of the game. Service aristocracies were hella common.

I would assume it's an early game thing you transition out of

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

PittTheElder posted:

I think you might be reading too much into "CK-style" there. We haven't actually been given much information about how they function at all. The DD says they're raised from pops, which means the reference point is probably more properly Imperator. And every pop belongs to an estate, so it's levies from estates by proxy.

Whether different types of pop will give different qualities of troop, or more or less troops for a given quantity of population, or whether they can refuse to serve if their estate is unhappy- these are all questions we don't actually have answers to yet. Unless Johan has addressed them in the replies already, which he probably has.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that's a fair point, hadn't considered that angle of raising from estates indirectly as it were.

Now that you mention it that would be a nice solution, assuming you can selectively raise by estate anyway (peasants are for working not fighting after all).

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Personally all for a system that makes the growth of the state as an institution feel meaningful, as opposed to EU4 where you are a fully formed Westphalian state from the jump with only a few trappings to indicate that this isn't the case; I've always wanted a game where playing as a revolutionary republic felt meaningfully different than a post-feudal administrative monarchy. It'll definitely make the Anbennar mod for this a lot more interesting, after waiting like ten yeas for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groke posted:

Seems like you can do some nice and juicy stuff with the new Aztec/Inca/Maya content.

I'm starting with Inca.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm starting with Inca.

Hmm, Aztecs are (re)-formable now. And all three of these formables get a fancy "invade the old world" mission tree.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Groke posted:

Hmm, Aztecs are (re)-formable now. And all three of these formables get a fancy "invade the old world" mission tree.

Huh. That’ll be enough to get me to buy this dlc (eventually)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've unlocked the Sunset Invasion cb but all the European powers are too big right now.

Gonna have to figure out a way.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I tried out the Aztecs and it's a bit hard to tell what the MT wants me to do, as it seems like to keep doom down I should be taking not many or any provinces, and just focus on vassalising, but the MT seems to sort of expect me to be taking provinces for myself.

Kinda cool in any case. I tried out the Incas too and it's nice to have more of a tree for them, even if they suffer from the same old issue of having a fun first 20 years of rushing to form them and then a pretty uneventful campaign of fighting weak European colonies and colonising south America.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For anyone trying the new Austrian mission tree:

there's a bug with the Poland PU mission where you won't get the restoration of union CB unless Poland is eligible for a PU, on top of the stated requirement of them having <400 total development between them and their subjects. This means that if they have Lithuania, you can't get the CB. I know, a bug in a mission tree that would be instantly spotted by anybody playing a single campaign with the featured country? Shocker

There's a few workarounds:

1) savescum so they stay in the interregnum until you finish your war with Bohemia. Click the mission to to get the CB, then let them get Lithuania.
2) wait for them to form Commonwealth before clicking the mission.
3) cut Poland down so much that Lithuania declares independence. PU Poland during that war to get called into a defensive war against Lithuania, then win that war as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Winds of Change actually has a positive review ratio on steam right now, which is astonishing for a new Paradox DLC. I haven't played EU4 in a couple years, but have they really turned things around with the new expansions, or have we just gotten to the point where all the haters have been weeded out?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've unlocked the Sunset Invasion cb but all the European powers are too big right now.

Gonna have to figure out a way.

If you've kicked out all the Colonial nations in the new world, you should go for the colonizers, they likely have all the colonization focused idea groups but with no colonies they are pretty much useless (and AI doesn't "respec" idea groups afaik)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They’ve focused on adding cool mission trees instead of tacking on new universal meters called like Gregariousness or Inflationism

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jay Rust posted:

They’ve focused on adding cool mission trees instead of tacking on new universal meters called like Gregariousness or Inflationism

drat, I can think of at least two tags in Anbennar that could really get some use out of Gregariousness. :buddy:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

canepazzo posted:

If you've kicked out all the Colonial nations in the new world, you should go for the colonizers, they likely have all the colonization focused idea groups but with no colonies they are pretty much useless (and AI doesn't "respec" idea groups afaik)

I haven’t, guess that’s the first step.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I haven’t, guess that’s the first step.

The parent countries can't join in and its 0 OE land, literal free real estate

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Winds of Change actually has a positive review ratio on steam right now, which is astonishing for a new Paradox DLC. I haven't played EU4 in a couple years, but have they really turned things around with the new expansions, or have we just gotten to the point where all the haters have been weeded out?

They realized the key to success is to just make all the new mission trees super OP.

That’s not a veiled criticism, it’s great.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

disjoe posted:

They realized the key to success is to just make all the new mission trees super OP.

That’s not a veiled criticism, it’s great.

Taking a page out of the Anbennar book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now add the disasters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I heard you like maps

This "Tinto Maps" series feels like it more clearly encapsulates the purpose of this weird slow-roll announcement. They clearly lay out what they want feedback on: maps are hard, surely we've made some mistakes, let's fix them together before we actually launch. And if you filter by dev posts, Pavia has four or five times gone "thanks for the suggestion, I've forwarded it to the team". The core game mechanics are much harder to change on a whim according to forums feedback (though they've made at least two changes already that I've noticed), but shifting some borders slightly so that people from all over the world can go "wow! they got my home exactly right!" is the exact kind of thing that outsources well to internet nerds

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cheetah7071 posted:

I heard you like maps

This "Tinto Maps" series feels like it more clearly encapsulates the purpose of this weird slow-roll announcement. They clearly lay out what they want feedback on: maps are hard, surely we've made some mistakes, let's fix them together before we actually launch. And if you filter by dev posts, Pavia has four or five times gone "thanks for the suggestion, I've forwarded it to the team". The core game mechanics are much harder to change on a whim according to forums feedback (though they've made at least two changes already that I've noticed), but shifting some borders slightly so that people from all over the world can go "wow! they got my home exactly right!" is the exact kind of thing that outsources well to internet nerds

they made some pretty dumb mistakes in the Canadian maps in eu4. A couple of the visible lakes are 20th century hydroelectric lakes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

not only that but there's a place called moose factory which wouldn't start running until replication of large mammals was perfected commercially in 2330

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

oddium posted:

not only that but there's a place called moose factory which wouldn't start running until replication of large mammals was perfected commercially in 2330

where do I download the future monuments mod

where