Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This is like when Austria (lol suck it FF) had to pay for forts in modern day Belgium that were owned and manned by NL. Austria had to pay the soldiers' wages and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

So many of these books read like polemics any time they talk about Russia

it is really hosed up and has just gotten worse and will never get better

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
russia bad, commies bad, so commie russia was extra bad and clearly would have collapsed instantly without superior capitalists using them as a proxy - accomplished and celebrated historians

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Microsoft launches AI chatbot for spies

quote:

According to the report, the new AI service (which does not yet publicly have a name) addresses a growing interest among intelligence agencies to use generative AI for processing classified data, while mitigating risks of data breaches or hacking attempts. ChatGPT normally runs on cloud servers provided by Microsoft, which can introduce data leak and interception risks. Along those lines, the CIA announced its plan to create a ChatGPT-like service last year, but this Microsoft effort is reportedly a separate project.

quote:

The new service was activated on Thursday and is now available to about 10,000 individuals in the intelligence community, ready for further testing by relevant agencies. It's currently "answering questions," according to Chappell.

quote:

One serious drawback of using GPT-4 to analyze important data is that it can potentially confabulate (make up) inaccurate summaries, draw inaccurate conclusions, or provide inaccurate information to its users. Since trained AI neural networks are not databases and operate on statistical probabilities

I feel it's unfair to bring up how the AI can just make bullshit up without also bringing up that human intelligence agents do the same thing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Theyre going to use AI assessments as probably causes for wiretaps and locking people up, which is going to cost the analysts who already make that poo poo up their job. You hate to see it.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaMbktY5oek

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Long live Tay!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I bet MacArthur would have loved to have served a King. he was a weird guy overall.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

the suit sucks him off it doesnt jerk him off, read the books

gradenko_2000 posted:

all right, I have loving had it up to here with this loving book

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MenchOsint/status/1787516289163887090

The Houthis are about to find out why the US doesn't have healthcare.

Again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol i bet the crew is real happy, better give them extra cookies captain soyboy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Boat King is back! That was a loving short break. I hope Ansar Allah finds more mysterious hypersonic components out in the desert.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/thinkdefence/status/1787911136588837261

yet the gas station with nukes meme and GDP will persist until western collapse

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

liberals always say they want the military to have bake sales but literally they don’t need more money. it’s impossible to spend all the money they do have. it just all :gas: disappears

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Covert Cabal is usually overoptimistic at US capabilities, but even then yeah it is clear there are limits to what the US could actually muster in short notice. You got about 31 regular army BCTs (roughly 140,000-150,000 troops) with 27 national guard BCTs, the problem is you can't really field all those national guard BCTs at the same time (and even if you did they probably wouldn't be ready for combat). The National Guard is cutting back on maintenance, so they would be at low readiness in terms of equipment, and honestly the regular army is going to get priority.

Beyond that it gets more ify since only a portion of the additional army reserve is going to be combat troops so many about 12-15 BCTs of combat personnel but at that point they would be mostly just be mostly unsupported motorized infantry at best since there isn't really anything to give them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russia has contract volunteers and mobiks

America has patriotic volunteers and national guard

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the circumstances in Russia show even if you are fully geared up to get equipment repaired and in order it can take months if not gears to fully gear up and honestly the US MIC seems even more moribund. Also, Sierra Army Depot has been clearly been stripping parts out of vehicles and cannibalizing them as time as gone on, and you are going to have to go back and build enough supply of parts to get everything back to order.

This is going to be a real issue for M113s/M109s which the army has a ton of and make a large section of reserve equipment and which parts have been in short supply as well as the issue with Abrams turbines.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/MenchOsint/status/1787516289163887090

The Houthis are about to find out why the US doesn't have healthcare.

Again.

I hope the tired crew makes a series of catastrophic errors leading to something very funny.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 18:25 on May 8, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

but at that point they would be mostly just be mostly unsupported motorized infantry at best since there isn't really anything to give them.

I thought they were mostly not even motorized

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, and they would have enough Humvees and trucks based on the stats versus other heavy equipment, but there would be still severe deficiencies.

Also, the US would be rapidly going through what stockpile it still has in the mean time. If the Israelis were struggling inside of 2 months, the US isn't going to be doing much better.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:28 on May 8, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

if they already got owned by much more poorly armed PLA on 1:1 manpower basis, what's gonna happen when they meet the much better armed version

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

if they already got owned by much more poorly armed PLA on 1:1 manpower basis, what's gonna happen when they meet the much better armed version

We've convinced ourselves we didn't get owned, because they couldn't overcome out air power. Surely the PLA of 2024+ is materially the same as 1950 so this will be a walk in the park. See just park our subs in the Taiwan Strait and be untouchable or sink the whole PLAN at the cost of the entire sub force, which is worth it depending on whatever psycho whitepaper gets put out

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 15:24 on May 8, 2024

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
and remember the Chinese intermediate cartridge must be trash because nobody’s really gotten a good look at it. Those bullets will bounce right off.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

and remember the Chinese intermediate cartridge must be trash because nobody’s really gotten a good look at it. Those bullets will bounce right off.

The US and its allies in Asia are probably going to be using 5.56 anyway.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I’m surprised there hasn’t been a resurgence of articles about the need for that bespoke sig cartridge because in Korea, PLA human waves would shrug off .30 carbine, due to life being cheap in the Orient.

I’m sure we’ll see something like that, the whole idea of “stopping power” originated in the US war in the Philippines.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/07/australia-us-aukus-submarine-deal-control-daniel-kritenbrink

Actually it's just better if Australia buys and pays to operate the subs but doesn't control them, we decided this

this is really funny lol

What an awful deal for australia. They'd probably have at least a hull completed and on its way to trials in a couple of years if theyd stuck with the french, and itd be under their own control

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

this is really funny lol

What an awful deal for australia. They'd probably have at least a hull completed and on its way to trials in a couple of years if theyd stuck with the french, and itd be under their own control

This is exactly why it wasn't allowed.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

submarine ownership is a lot of responsibility. it’s not for everyone, honestly if you think about it, we’re doing them a favor

lol

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Australia is also building that submarine base, I suppose for America, in light of these developments.

I swear Australian naval policy is the worst in the world, always has been.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
they will own nothing, and be happy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

KomradeX posted:

We've convinced ourselves we didn't get owned, because they couldn't overcome out air power. Surely the PLA of 2024+ is materially the same as 1950 so this will be a walk in the park. See just park our subs in the Taiwan Strait and be untouchable or sink the whole PLAN at the cost of the entire sub force, which is worth it depending on whatever psycho whitepaper gets put out

still need to watch this

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's really good go watch it now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Orange Devil posted:

It's really good go watch it now.

Seconded. I was hooked from the moment MacCarthur was introduced like a Metal Gear Solid villain.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Seconded. I was hooked from the moment MacCarthur was introduced like a Metal Gear Solid villain.

https://youtu.be/W1o0JlNhFvg?si=Y0elcOe75Stmipdm

The effects aren't too bad, some wild swings in quality, but some of it is better than some Marvel movie garbage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The US will lose ww3 cinematic universe

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I thought 800 and The Sacrifice were a lot better. Both start off goofy but once they get going they are great. Like as ridiculous as a human bridge sounds when you hit that scene in The Sacrifice it is very affecting. 800 are technically KMT soldiers (fighting the Japanese) and they kinda awkwardly sidestep that by never showing directly the flag they fly.

I also think the Americans in Sacrifice are even funnier than dark lord MacArthur. Similar to Lake Changjin they contrast the Chinese getting by with nothing and fat rich stupid American pilots who just randomly cause mayhem based on their whims and don't even give a poo poo about the conflict and mostly want to drink and gamble and not follow orders (accurate).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did you miss the scene in the 800 where they fly the roc flag while Japanese fighter craft strafe them

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/07/australia-us-aukus-submarine-deal-control-daniel-kritenbrink

Actually it's just better if Australia buys and pays to operate the subs but doesn't control them, we decided this

this sounds like they're outright attacking the sovereignty of Australia. They're commandeering part of the Australian defense and can literally use those subs on other Australian ship assets. Guess Australia is the first of the anglosphere to get held hostage as the US empire collapses.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
always remember that the us can only view other countries as vassals or enemies but never equals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

this sounds like they're outright attacking the sovereignty of Australia. They're commandeering part of the Australian defense and can literally use those subs on other Australian ship assets. Guess Australia is the first of the anglosphere to get held hostage as the US empire collapses.

Cerebral Bore posted:

always remember that the us can only view other countries as vassals or enemies but never equals

Australia's a little paypig and doesn't want an equal relationship, they want to get findommed by Uncle Sam