Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chrono Ark: is the DLC worth it? I keep waffling on if I want to play it, and my brain has latched onto "you can't play it without the DLC" and I want to know if that's true or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

StrixNebulosa posted:

Chrono Ark: is the DLC worth it? I keep waffling on if I want to play it, and my brain has latched onto "you can't play it without the DLC" and I want to know if that's true or not.

It's definitely not essential. I would say to play it first and then get the dlc later if you really like the base game. There's already a lot of meat on those bones without the extra content (which isn't much really, it's more of a "tip to the devs because you like the game" - type dlc)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

The...uhhh...little girls in bikini outfits DLC?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Resdfru posted:

I'm in a similar boat in that I don't know if I would like hitman and I don't want to spend 30 dollars to find out. But thanks to this thread I think I learned that if I wait for part 1 to go on sale I can try that for 10ish dollars and then if I do like it I can get the upgrade pack or something for some amount of money that will in the end be equal to the 30 dollars of the whole game right now.

So definitely what's gonna happen is I'll never remember to get it when the other thing goes on sale cause it's not on sale right now

You can download the free demo right now and play through two small-ish tutorial maps.
Those maps are actually pretty good and you can easily milk them for half a dozen hours of content. It should give you at least a decent idea of what the game is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

drat horror queefs posted:

It's definitely not essential. I would say to play it first and then get the dlc later if you really like the base game. There's already a lot of meat on those bones without the extra content (which isn't much really, it's more of a "tip to the devs because you like the game" - type dlc)

Sounds good, Erannorth-style dlc.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

The...uhhh...little girls in bikini outfits DLC?

It does have some new items and one new boss, but this game is from the "Binding of Isaac" school of roguelikes where you only unlock new items to find, bosses that can appear and characters to play as, with no "spends 5 meta currency to increase your attack by 5%" type of unlocks.

So just the base game is perfectly fine, and if you ever get to the point where you feel that you've seen everything and still want more, you can get the DLC.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm playing Hi-Fi RUSH right now and I'm halfway through Chapter Track 1 and I must admit I am not quite feeling it yet. When did it really click for the rest of you who've played it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For me it was when I started the game "Hi-Fi Rush"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tamba posted:

It does have some new items and one new boss, but this game is from the "Binding of Isaac" school of roguelikes where you only unlock new items to find, bosses that can appear and characters to play as, with no "spends 5 meta currency to increase your attack by 5%" type of unlocks.

So just the base game is perfectly fine, and if you ever get to the point where you feel that you've seen everything and still want more, you can get the DLC.

Oh, I see, I didn't realize it actually had content in it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Megazver posted:

I'm playing Hi-Fi RUSH right now and I'm halfway through Chapter Track 1 and I must admit I am not quite feeling it yet. When did it really click for the rest of you who've played it?

QA boss

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought it was neat but didn't have enough staying power for me to keep with it past the first couple of hours. If it hasn't grabbed you now it probably won't later.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

I wasn't really a fan of the game but I played through more than half of it and it's very consistent throughout. If the beginning doesn't hook you then it probably won't later either because it continues to be more of the same.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Megazver posted:

I was also kind of frustrated at first because I'm not particularly good at rhythm games and I dislike platforming, but I turned on the visual aid from the start, and eventually settled into...a rhythm. Mostly I just spammed the heavy attack into beat hit combo, and cycled through my summons as quickly as possible, all while moving around and dodging. It was effective enough, and also pretty fun, even if it's not the kind of game that's going to rock your world.

I'd say keep at it until you get to the Rekka fight at least, if you're still not feeling it afterwards, just put the game down.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

You can download the free demo right now and play through two small-ish tutorial maps.
Those maps are actually pretty good and you can easily milk them for half a dozen hours of content. It should give you at least a decent idea of what the game is.

Oh cool thanks! Had no idea there was a demo cause I never looked

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

V Rising, why do you require my birthday when you start up? What is this for? grumbles as she puts in a fake number again

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
so many gamers born 1/1/1900

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

V Rising, why do you require my birthday when you start up? What is this for? grumbles as she puts in a fake number again

They need your precious data for selling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have no problem whatsoever providing Steam with my actual date of birth but they keep proposing one that's wrong by several months for some reason, no matter how many times I change it

Okay I guess I was born on January 1st 1990, whatever

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At some point, every Steam user decides they were born January 1st.

There’s a new Metroidvania Humble Bundle. Contains both Axiom Verge games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I have no problem whatsoever providing Steam with my actual date of birth but they keep proposing one that's wrong by several months for some reason, no matter how many times I change it

Okay I guess I was born on January 1st 1990, whatever

it’s so annoying. i have clicked through that prompt one hundred billion times. it remembers day and year but never month. i wish i could just store it in my profile and then they would never need to ask again. why is it like this

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did Axiom Verge 2 ever end up being good? I remember discourse at release being that it was kinda bunk.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, that's a pretty nice bundle, especially since I don't have either Axiom Verge yet. How do people feel about those games nowadays? Do they pass the test of time or are they not as noteworthy nowadays?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Did Axiom Verge 2 ever end up being good? I remember discourse at release being that it was kinda bunk.

It's a better game than the first one, but the first one was also very overrated IMO.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jack Trades posted:

Hades has some amazing presentation and the core combat is pretty good, but all of the gameplay that isn't the core combat is loving awful making you have to juggle half a dozen currencies, like it was some kind of MMO, and you having to frequently choose to sacrifice your run for the sake of getting more metaprogression that in turn gave you pure power for the next run. It's among the worst implementations of metaprogression I've seen in the genre.
From a couple pages back but IIRC this is not actually true. When you have a choice of rooms in Hades then the choices will be between either only metaprogression currencies or only current-run stuff. It's literally not possible to get into the situation you described.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Detective No. 27 posted:

We're just like horses.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

From a couple pages back but IIRC this is not actually true. When you have a choice of rooms in Hades then the choices will be between either only metaprogression currencies or only current-run stuff. It's literally not possible to get into the situation you described.

Eh, the room rewards are true but there are still tradeoffs between power in your current run and metaprogression progress to be found. There are vaults that trigger an optional battle in exchange for metaprogression currency, and the shop at the end of the game where you can buy stuff like titans blood if you saved enough money instead of spending it on powerups for the current run.

It's fairly mild compared to some roguelites but I can understand finding the existence of those tradeoffs at all grating.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You definitely frequently will have to choose between taking the boon option that is right for your build and the boon option that fulfills a minor prophecy. Poseidon also has stuff like the fishing boon that only helps with metaprogression stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Eh, the room rewards are true but there are still tradeoffs between power in your current run and metaprogression progress to be found. There are vaults that trigger an optional battle in exchange for metaprogression currency, and the shop at the end of the game where you can buy stuff like titans blood if you saved enough money instead of spending it on powerups for the current run.

It's fairly mild compared to some roguelites but I can understand finding the existence of those tradeoffs at all grating.

The entire premise of the game is that you die over and over which unlocks more things. If you dislike the idea of metaprogression then Hades isn't the game for you. Choosing to take risks to gain more resources is 100% a valid choice in these kinds of games, not a flaw in the design.

Like Hades is a game where, even if you 100% perfect it on your first try, you're going to be missing a ton of the game because more plot, characters and interactions, as well as weapons/boons/etc unlock as you progress the game. It is designed to be something where death isn't a punishment because you get new stuff from it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 8, 2024

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Detective No. 27 posted:

And Beverly Hills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzoIG9py_c

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's Cyber Knights: Flashpoint coming along? I see they just put out an update today adding a safehouse xcom layer to the game as well as some visual upgrades and other stuff. I really enjoyed Templar Battleforce so I'm hoping this one ends up being good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I remember that there is a mprog upgrade that would give you in-run stuff from picking mprog currency, but did they actually change it so that you never have to choose between in-run and mprog choices? Because that wasn't the case during EA and I admit I only played one run of 1.0 so I might have missed it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Chrono Ark was in a bundle? That's a shame. That game flew completely under my radar and got a big price bump on release. Might get it anyway.

Speaking of bundles, if anyone has a spare Hi-Fi Rush code I can paypal you some moneis (let's say five bucks? I dunno). No premium so hit me up at

https://steamcommunity.com/id/detrian/

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Jack Trades posted:

I remember that there is a mprog upgrade that would give you in-run stuff from picking mprog currency, but did they actually change it so that you never have to choose between in-run and mprog choices? Because that wasn't the case during EA and I admit I only played one run of 1.0 so I might have missed it.

I played the game in early access and they never mixed metaprogression and per-run stuff in room rewards. If it ever happened it would have been very early in development.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We absolutely cannot call it mprog

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Orv posted:

We absolutely must call it mprog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orv posted:

We absolutely cannot call it mprog

Why not? It's clear and concise. For example I really hated in Sonic Unleashed where you had to collect stuff to progress new stages. I've heard people say they love Sonic the Hedgehog mprog but I just don't get it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Like Hades is a game where, even if you 100% perfect it on your first try, you're going to be missing a ton of the game because more plot, characters and interactions, as well as weapons/boons/etc unlock as you progress the game. It is designed to be something where death isn't a punishment because you get new stuff from it.

I mean, there's basically zero chance anyone will perfect it on their first try because there's a character that gives you a debilitating curse if you beat an area earlier than the devs want you to - it's like they tailor-made a mechanic to piss off the people who already disliked that kinda thing in the first game, lol.

ImpAtom posted:

Why not? It's clear and concise. For example I really hated in Sonic Unleashed where you had to collect stuff to progress new stages. I've heard people say they love Sonic the Hedgehog mprog but I just don't get it.

🫃

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

corporations suck and are not your friend but they’re also not always soul sucking evil creatures. sometimes they’re dumbasses that get stuck in the doorway and you can poke at them until they die. sometimes they’re even trying to be friendly but they walk off cliffs or bridges or into the path of your own shots and they die anyway.

Bear in mind that Square Enix basically shuttered IO Interactive as they finished Part 1 and the execs literally bought themselves out on faith that the game would be a success just to keep going. It's a miracle of success that they charted a path through the various crises and we got 3 fantastic games now rolled into one out of it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Det_no posted:

Chrono Ark was in a bundle? That's a shame. That game flew completely under my radar and got a big price bump on release. Might get it anyway.

Speaking of bundles, if anyone has a spare Hi-Fi Rush code I can paypal you some moneis (let's say five bucks? I dunno). No premium so hit me up at

https://steamcommunity.com/id/detrian/

For more reach, you can also try posting in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433797&goto=lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

:mad: