Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

UnbearablyBlight posted:

I can’t give suggestions because my tastes are pretty different from yours, but I always liked to find good waiting spots when I was invading too. My favorite was always fallen ruins on the lake. It feels like one of the most peaceful places in the game to me. Ruin strewn precipice is also really nice - beautiful view with somber harpy-song in the background. Actually there might be some spots that meet your criteria there too.

Dyz posted:

Theres a small campfire above Highroad Cave at the end of the little river that runs into Agheel Lake, its a pretty chill spot with a view of the Bestial Sanctum.

I'll check these out, thanks!

I think the best view in the game is from the top of Four Belfries when it's clear. Very peaceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Getting to that bonfire at the bottom of the swamp was one of my most memorable experiences in these games. Huge sigh of relief

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1787866948719558700

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

blighttown rules and hasn’t had framerate issue since 2018

Ya lol I meant originally, also I love that level just for it's difficulty. Dark Souls 1 still has the most unique levels/dungeons of any of their games. (we don't talk about lost izalith)

Like Sen's Fortress, a castle with all these traps and contraptions was such a cool idea and then fighting a freaking giant on top of the castle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

blighttown rules and hasn’t had framerate issue since 2018

Once data is entered, it cannot be modified.

Beep boop.

The Xbox has no games. Beep boop.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Drain 001 posted:

I've been searching for the perfect place to chill while waiting to get summoned. Obviously it doesn't matter, but it's still fun to me to try and find a spot that meets the following criteria:

1. Shelter - Protection from the rain
2. Quiet - No wind or screeching horns
3. On the Surface - No caves or sewers
4. Warm - Has a fire and isn't freezing cold

The closest I've come is the merchant on the beach under the fallen cliff in Limgrave, though sometimes I hangout at the Underground Roadside.

Open to suggestions.

Yura's initial location is under a slab of ruins on the surface, has a fire, and I don't recall any ambient noisemakers in the immediate vicinity, although if you go a little east there's a fight between demihumans and soldiers. You can get views of Agheel lake and the ocean from there.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
e: wrong thread

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ulio posted:

Ya lol I meant originally, also I love that level just for it's difficulty. Dark Souls 1 still has the most unique levels/dungeons of any of their games. (we don't talk about lost izalith)

Like Sen's Fortress, a castle with all these traps and contraptions was such a cool idea and then fighting a freaking giant on top of the castle.

Lost Izalith was a cool level ruined by too many butt demons

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Lost Izalith was a cool level ruined by too many butt demons

real heads never even saw the butt demon area

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

scary ghost dog posted:

worm heads never even saw the butt demon area

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

scary ghost dog posted:

real heads never even saw the butt demon area

You still see it, just from above instead of ankle's-eye view.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Then you need to battle the worst boss in the series and I say that without playing ds3.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Arcane run has evolved into putting bloody slash on a Shamshir and stun locked Rennala with my skeletal militia buddies and killing her in 30 seconds

Keeping Reduvia in the back pocket for it's awesome ash but the Shamshir actually being able to momentarily stun is massive for me since I'm also committing to always having light roll so my ability to stand and slug it out with enemies is non-existent

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Everyone remembers their first trip down to Siofra but Caelid is a very similar memory for me.

It would be difficult to convince anyone this wasn't staged given the way I pan the camera, but this was my very first time in this area and this encounter was totally organic. I'm just a weirdo who plays with my index finger curled to hit A for running so I can use my thumb to move the camera all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA8iqHnbIiA

So many devs have such brain worms they cant see beyond forest/desert/snow biomes (looking at you blizzard), thank god FROM can still deliver interesting environments, even if they are dread inducing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mustached Demon posted:

Then you need to battle the worst boss in the series and I say that without playing ds3.

DS3's only completely awful boss is Midir, and he's really only awful because he's in a game with a stamina bar.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Mustached Demon posted:

Deacons may seem bad at first, but then you visit couple of times, hear what they have to say and read the pamphlets, soon you're chilling in the cathedral no problem. They're really nice bunch of hollows

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Goatson posted:

Deacons may seem bad at first, but then you visit couple of times, hear what they have to say and read the pamphlets, soon you're chilling in the cathedral no problem. They're really nice bunch of hollows

They treat you like family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUh78b2dqJg

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

codo27 posted:

Everyone remembers their first trip down to Siofra but Caelid is a very similar memory for me.

It would be difficult to convince anyone this wasn't staged given the way I pan the camera, but this was my very first time in this area and this encounter was totally organic. I'm just a weirdo who plays with my index finger curled to hit A for running so I can use my thumb to move the camera all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA8iqHnbIiA

So many devs have such brain worms they cant see beyond forest/desert/snow biomes (looking at you blizzard), thank god FROM can still deliver interesting environments, even if they are dread inducing.

lol i have a similar video https://youtu.be/nhv5IbMnXFc?si=ervmWRpLNeBeKYYk

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

What's the complaint against Deacons?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That they're barely even a boss fight, just a bunch of jumped up adds whose only gimmick is an enrage timer

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
sounds like me playing a v game

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Go hang out with the abandoned merchant in Siofra, he could use the company

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Skippy McPants posted:

My only problem with Caelid is the stupid blue laser golem down that one cliffside in Dragonbarrow who's is a pain in the rear end to reach, has five billion health, and the sheer loving gall to not drop a drat thing when you finally kill him.

If I remember correctly, I may not be because its been so long since I've bothered fighting him, he has the same weakness as all the other massive golems; hitting his ankles will cause him to fall over so you can hit his chest for massive damage, but the problem is the ledge you fight him on is so tiny and his lasers continue firing even as he's doing other stuff that it's almost impossible to actually critical hit him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had my computer on mute and turned up the volume the literal instant you were attacked.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

Completed Ranni's questline (putting a spoilertag on the image just in case). I probably should go and clear Leyndell then.

nopants
May 29, 2004

a primate posted:

If you have a broken brain like me, you’ll play it once blind, then a second time using a 100% guide because I must consume all content at all costs

Edit: there’s also this monstrosity that someone put together https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/s/sFdcsSqkvL

this was me. broke or couldn't figure out how to finish every quest but ranni's my first playthrough and used guides to make sure i could do all the ones i wanted the second time around

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyro Jack posted:

Completed Ranni's questline (putting a spoilertag on the image just in case). I probably should go and clear Leyndell then.

Your character looks like a fancier Fume Knight, I dig it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Completed Fia's (and D's) questline. Now I should probably go do Leyndell.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I think I kinda wanna go through the DLC with the horn on my first go around. What talismans do people use with that? I assume anything that boosts weapon skills?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the holy scorpion charm would be a good pick too? And the carian filigree talisman for throughput if you want to spam it

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

DS3's only completely awful boss is Midir, and he's really only awful because he's in a game with a stamina bar.

No way, Midir rocks, best dragon fight in the series (maybe tied with Placidusax). I used to not like him very much because of the massive health pool and the camera going nuts, but then I learned that just staying in front of him and whacking him in the head exclusively eliminates both of those complaints. I finished an all bosses SL1 DS3 run recently and he was a major highlight. Stamina was not an issue at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

as always, it's not really about being difficult or "doing it right", it's just that the entire dynamic of dragon fights is boring compared to humanoid bosses.

the camera is still bad no matter how you approach them, the head is still physically out of reach half the time even if you know better than to hug to butt, and constantly running across the field to catch up with the boss is just dead, wasted time even when you have a horse or a grappling hook and worse when you don't

e: basically the problem is that huge chunks of any dragon boss's routine is either an effective invulnerability phase for melee characters, or in some cases (phase 1 Nameless King, large chunks of the Placidusax fight) a literal invulnerability phase. a boss fight should never put the player in a situation where the only thing they can do to progress the win condition is "wait"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 8, 2024

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
If I had to rate bosses by scale of how loudly I screamed "gently caress yeah!" when I finally managed to beat them then Midir is there on top with Capra Demon, Pursuer and Blackflame kindred.

On the opposing end - trying to remember - I'd say Wolnir is pretty forgettable. And Lichdragon Fortissax in ER: I've beaten it several times and still don't remember much about the fight.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I was happy after finally beating the garbage heap that's seedbed of chaos.

I'm getting towards the end of my blind DS2 run. Notable bosses: headless snake lady, mirror knight, lost sinner, and giant spider queen (spider not scorpion).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm getting towards the end of my blind DS2 run. Notable bosses: headless snake lady, mirror knight, lost sinner, and giant spider queen (spider not scorpion).

Giant spider queen is such a weird and fun fight, although I can see why folks hate it. Maybe it's my brain-breakage from World of Warcraft but I really enjoy bosses with adds and crowd-control / target-selection elements.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Giant spider queen is such a weird and fun fight, although I can see why folks hate it. Maybe it's my brain-breakage from World of Warcraft but I really enjoy bosses with adds and crowd-control / target-selection elements.

Decisions and competing priorities at any given moment are interesting! It's basically the inverse of what I was complaining about earlier.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I really enjoyed the gargoyles, too. :shrug:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I really enjoyed the gargoyles, too. :shrug:

I don't think I found the ds2 gargoyle boss. Beat up a few regular enemies though.

You can completely ignore the little spiders on spider queen just by off handing a torch. She was still fun since you had to get in and stab her face. Whole level of spider was horrifying so I just never put the torch away.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ds2 gargoyles felt like horseshit at the time but now its quaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

as always, it's not really about being difficult or "doing it right", it's just that the entire dynamic of dragon fights is boring compared to humanoid bosses.

the camera is still bad no matter how you approach them, the head is still physically out of reach half the time even if you know better than to hug to butt, and constantly running across the field to catch up with the boss is just dead, wasted time even when you have a horse or a grappling hook and worse when you don't

e: basically the problem is that huge chunks of any dragon boss's routine is either an effective invulnerability phase for melee characters, or in some cases (phase 1 Nameless King, large chunks of the Placidusax fight) a literal invulnerability phase. a boss fight should never put the player in a situation where the only thing they can do to progress the win condition is "wait"

The only boss in these games that I've ever felt that I'm mindlessly chasing around is Elden Beast. Almost all of Midir's attacks have him directly approaching, tracking and charging the player. He has a single move in which he creates distance between himself and the player, the aerial fire sweep. He follows up all of his fire attacks that the player has to move away from with claw swipes, bites, and a charge that puts him right back in your face. I recorded the SL1 fight I mentioned and uploaded it here if you want to see what I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhEtLAIS58

I hear where you're coming from as far as "waiting" goes in certain contexts, but I think those moments can also be a great way of building tension and drama, like Placidusax flying through the sky, leaving a trail of dark stormclouds and red lightning bolts as he is preparing to divebomb you. It heightens the spectacle and fear factor of the fight at the potential cost of a few seconds of inactivity. I think that's a fair trade. And you're still free to heal / buff / use items in this brief window of downtime, which involves the proactive decision making and prioritization you mentioned. I've never felt like "okay, I'm just waiting for the game to let me play again" in the midst of combat in these games.