Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

concise posted:

Crazy how all the EOD and now Unheard money never bought a decent server architecture and people just normalized 5-10 minute queues.

Reminds me of release Bloodborne where death was extra punishing because you were waiting a minute plus for the game to load. It's not loss of gear that's punishing in Tarkov it's knowing how long it's going to take to get into the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Hooplah posted:

personally i find SPT more boring because AI can be cheesed and baited in many cases. sniping in particular is way way easier because real players get a sense for when they're being watched and path accordingly

Have you tried a recent SAIN version ? The base Tarkov AI is simplistic and fairly terrible but SAIN bots are fairly impressive, in particular they are really good at taking appropriate cover to engage you, frustratingly so at times if you let them.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Vahakyla posted:

I'm not knocking on anyone liking PvE Tarkov, but for me it is so necessary to know it is a human on the other end. Defeating them and knowing it was a real person I outwitted or outshot feels amazing. ANd dying to them feels good too, because I know they take my gear and now get stressed trying to extract and get away.

I totally get that and its what stopped me from playing SPT for a while.

Then I realized I'm fighting Skynet and I must kill the robots

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Kafouille posted:

Have you tried a recent SAIN version ? The base Tarkov AI is simplistic and fairly terrible but SAIN bots are fairly impressive, in particular they are really good at taking appropriate cover to engage you, frustratingly so at times if you let them.

i did last league. what pushed me over the edge was the fact i cleared shturman and all his goobers in the sawmill using a bolty with a 4x, without ever taking a hit. i've never been able to do that in live and i have a hard time believing the live boss ai wouldn't have lit me up. i was proning on dickhead rock clear as day popping heads.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The default settings leave the bosses tuned lower than live but that's just a matter of turning up the spotting and accuracy sliders for the boss AI in the F6 menu if you enjoy the live AI antiaircraft turret experience. On that note I like the That's Lit mod for revamping AI spotting, it adds a lot more nuance to the model and allows you to turn ai spotting up without rendering the game unplayable (Note : turn off the SAIN ESP bush protection if you use that or the bots will be very blind)

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kafouille posted:

The default settings leave the bosses tuned lower than live but that's just a matter of turning up the spotting and accuracy sliders for the boss AI in the F6 menu if you enjoy the live AI antiaircraft turret experience. On that note I like the That's Lit mod for revamping AI spotting, it adds a lot more nuance to the model and allows you to turn ai spotting up without rendering the game unplayable (Note : turn off the SAIN ESP bush protection if you use that or the bots will be very blind)

This explains a lot. I have been playing around with SPT with some of the recommendations from this thread and it's a lot better than the last time I tried it. But yesterday I was doing the bolt-action kills with iron sights and saw what I thought was a scav in the sawmill, and i know that he saw me. I headshot him, but was very confused when the Shturman achievement popped up. I thought I played it pretty well, but not well enough that I should have killed a boss. Especially in one shot with whatever poo poo ammo I had from level 1 traders.

Other than that I still feel like regular scavs aren't acting the way they should. I kinda want them to behave like live, and then add better PMC/player scav bots. I already disabled Looting Bots for scavs since (as far as i can tell) sniper scavs kept leaving their posts to try and get rich.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah the real secret sauce of ai scavs in live isn't that they're especially good, it's that they provide, like, a background pressure to the rest of the game and exist to punish/attrit the player for not dealing with them promptly.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
It's kind of funny how differently people play Tarkov. I was looking a the stats of the people whose dogtags I have and some of their stats are insane to me.

I play very slowly and methodically. I'm also pretty new/bad. So I have a K/D ratio of 2.67 on my PMC stats and an average life span of 48 minutes. I see lots of people with similar stats.

But there are also people that have K/Ds in the 4-5 range and average life spans of 5-10 minutes. Their games must be so action packed :D

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This explains a lot. I have been playing around with SPT with some of the recommendations from this thread and it's a lot better than the last time I tried it. But yesterday I was doing the bolt-action kills with iron sights and saw what I thought was a scav in the sawmill, and i know that he saw me. I headshot him, but was very confused when the Shturman achievement popped up. I thought I played it pretty well, but not well enough that I should have killed a boss. Especially in one shot with whatever poo poo ammo I had from level 1 traders.

Other than that I still feel like regular scavs aren't acting the way they should. I kinda want them to behave like live, and then add better PMC/player scav bots. I already disabled Looting Bots for scavs since (as far as i can tell) sniper scavs kept leaving their posts to try and get rich.

Eh, I definately killed specifically Shturman like that on live servers :v: Sometime a lucky headshot is all you need.

Now Killa on the other hand has been a bane of my Interchange runs on SPT. Dude needs to chill with killing friendly Scavs, I can't even get near Kiba to loot corpses anymore lol.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Jakosa posted:

It's kind of funny how differently people play Tarkov. I was looking a the stats of the people whose dogtags I have and some of their stats are insane to me.

I play very slowly and methodically. I'm also pretty new/bad. So I have a K/D ratio of 2.67 on my PMC stats and an average life span of 48 minutes. I see lots of people with similar stats.

But there are also people that have K/Ds in the 4-5 range and average life spans of 5-10 minutes. Their games must be so action packed :D

BSG isn't very good in some things, including stats pages. Once you hit over 60 minutes, it resets back to 0 again. So those players with 5-10 minutes could also be sitting on 65-70 minutes lifespans.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Seditiar posted:

BSG isn't very good in some things, including stats pages. Once you hit over 60 minutes, it resets back to 0 again. So those players with 5-10 minutes could also be sitting on 65-70 minutes lifespans.

Seriously?!? That's fantastic :D

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I know a guy whose play time is 90% Factory, I feel like your stats will generally trend toward those in that situation

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The AI mods aren't meant to act like live Scavs, since that's what the base SPT install is doing, but you can exclude the normal scavs from LootingBots while still keeping it active for the other bot types, it's important to give them a reason to move around the map instead of being sitting ducks waiting for them to be shot at. The F6 SAIN menu is very granular if you want it to be and you can tweak all bot types independently to taste

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

The PVE experience sure is something. Either you get into a server right away or you're stuck on the ol' "Matching..." for 10+ minutes. There appears to be no in between at all.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I know a guy whose play time is 90% Factory, I feel like your stats will generally trend toward those in that situation

Yup, same—they don’t do many quests or bother with much progression at all. Just the factory meat grinder.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

giZm posted:

The PVE experience sure is something. Either you get into a server right away or you're stuck on the ol' "Matching..." for 10+ minutes. There appears to be no in between at all.

if you don't instantly match (eg less than a minute) just cancel and requeue

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if you don't instantly match (eg less than a minute) just cancel and requeue

Having to do this constantly and sit through the loading screens for so long finally made me switch to coop SPT. It's been pretty fun honestly

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah if you have SAIN installed and havent tweaked the sliders you arent playing with SAIN installed. You can make the AI a bunch of pestilys or a bunch of baby brained meat to go John Wick on after you ate too big of an edible. Or have a spread! They even have options to randomly generate dickheads who extract camp to simulate live.

Vorenus posted:

It's amazing how many of us just want to play Supermarket Sweep but with guns.

Nuh uh I’m here for the realistic gunplay, i swear as i sprint through goshan shoving peas and condensed milk into my vest and bag

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 11, 2024

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

weekly font posted:

Yeah if you have SAIN installed and havent tweaked the sliders you arent playing with SAIN installed. You can make the AI a bunch of pestilys or a bunch of baby brained meat to go John Wick on after you ate too big of an edible. Or have a spread! They even have options to randomly generate dickheads who extract camp to simulate live.

Nuh uh I’m here for the realistic gunplay, i swear as i sprint through goshan shoving peas and condensed milk into my vest and bag

I got exfil camped by a bot at the trailer park on Customs. I was pretty stoked about it actually lol

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Eat The Rich posted:

I got exfil camped by a bot at the trailer park on Customs. I was pretty stoked about it actually lol

Happened to me on ground zero after killing the boss, what's his name. I got pretty pissed off about it tbh.. lol.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ive been hearing that grey zone literally just ripped assets from tarkov but the playerbase dont really give a poo poo lmao
anyone know if it's got some vanguard-tier kernel-level anti cheat or whatever going on? i got in the beta but for whatever reason it using ripped assets is making me feel like its gonna be spyware

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

hbag posted:

ive been hearing that grey zone literally just ripped assets from tarkov but the playerbase dont really give a poo poo lmao
anyone know if it's got some vanguard-tier kernel-level anti cheat or whatever going on? i got in the beta but for whatever reason it using ripped assets is making me feel like its gonna be spyware

Are you thinking of Arena Breakout: Infinite? I have been seeing a lot about that ripping off EFT, no idea how legit the claims are. Been playing ABI a tiny bit and it's alright, less jank than Tarkov for sure.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Miguel Prado posted:

Are you thinking of Arena Breakout: Infinite? I have been seeing a lot about that ripping off EFT, no idea how legit the claims are. Been playing ABI a tiny bit and it's alright, less jank than Tarkov for sure.

ah yeah im thinking of that, got them mixed up

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You know you really squandered the goodwill of your community when everyone's raring to get into what is essentially a 1 for 1 ripoff of your game just so they don't have to deal with your studio anymore

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's hard to rip off assets when you buy them from the unity store though.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Won’t time tell if they truly did rip off BSG source? Like if ABI did actually just straight steal EFTs source code I assume that will be an open and shut case, at least for western distribution of the game right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

causticBeet posted:

Won’t time tell if they truly did rip off BSG source? Like if ABI did actually just straight steal EFTs source code I assume that will be an open and shut case, at least for western distribution of the game right?

This presumes that any court of law is capable of holding Sergey Titov to account and lol lmao the man is grift incarnate

tjones
May 13, 2005
Grayzone did crib a lot of ideas and mechanics from Tarkov. I had a good hearty chuckle when I plopped a 2x1 acog scope onto a Trijicon mount and it shrunk the scope assembly down to 1x1 inventory square.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i got into the arena breakout beta but ive also been buried in university coursework so i havent been able to play it. rip

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

it seems i was right to be concerned about ABI

https://twitter.com/TheEncyklopedie/status/1789641832944533906

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
What does "local attacker" mean in this context? Someone on your pc? Someone on your network?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

What does "local attacker" mean in this context? Someone on your pc? Someone on your network?

If you play ABI a guy starts ratting in your kitchen.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ChesterJT posted:

i assume it means someone on your network, but still

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't understand how a Chinese-made mobile game attracted so much hype to begin with.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

hbag posted:

i assume it means someone on your network, but still
Doesn't have to be your own local network at home, it also means if their server infrastructure is compromised attackers can come in through that backdoor from a different server in that server infrastructure.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't understand how a Chinese-made mobile game attracted so much hype to begin with.
Nu-Tarkov on Steam combined with BSG flubbing up created the perfect storm.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also SPT being kinda hard to set up properly and janky.

But it doesn't stop us, I am having the time of my life with this game, SAIN/Donuts/Questing/Looting bots with a bit of fine tuned Realism on top (I was so surprised that there are aspects that Realism makes better for the player instead of being just a massive kick in the dick) and a few QoL mods makes for the best Tarkov experience I've ever had. The bots really work almost like players, and the meta aspects that Realism tunes like more unpredictable traders and flea market make it so you don't just fly through all the content, finding good guns, armors and especially ammo is still exciting while happening often enough to not be frustrating.

I only wish there were more presets for bots when scavving, but that's on me for leaving it on default - I've now run Interchange enough times to know bot placements by heart :v: Gotta switch it up next time.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

you can pay streamers money for hype and in the current ecosystem of video game marketing it is incredibly effective. not that effective at getting people to stick around though

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
'Local attacker' means someone with access to run code on your computer. They can be at the keyboard or they can have remote access through stuff like remote desktop or ssh.

That might not seem serious, but if an external attacker can get local, unprivileged access through a different vulnerability, they can use this vulnerability to escalate their privileges to system level.

The tweet linked above has a link to the CVE database and in that, there's a link to the vulnerability analysis here: https://www.defencetech.it/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Report-CVE-2024-22830.pdf. It's a good write-up and if you're into that kind of stuff, it's interesting reading.

I'm sure that it's a real vulnerability. It's not in the ABI code itself though, so blame should be directed at the Anti-Cheat developers.

Jakosa fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 13, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yes, but if you play ABI that anticheat will be installed on your system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

weekly font posted:

Yeah if you have SAIN installed and havent tweaked the sliders you arent playing with SAIN installed.

I cannot figure out the SAIN GUI for the life of me. All I want to do is restrict different bot difficulties. So bosses cant spawn as anything less than Hard for example. But I go in there and click things and the boxes go red and sliders appear. No idea what any of it means.