Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thanks for the tips. I will have to see if tennis balls will work.

I am definitely going to have to test fit the cot in the tent when I set up the tent in the backyard for a trial set up. Basic math seems to indicate it should (barely, accounting for needing to be offset from the walls a bit) as I got a ginormous tent.

I am also counting on things to go wrong the first attempt or two at camping. So I am trying to keep them short and local. So if things do go awry, it’s not a huge pain to just throw everything in the back of the minivan and deal with the cleanup/repacking at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Orvin posted:

It’s been a long time since I was last camping, and I have been getting some gear to go car camping with my young kids (currently 4 & 6). So it’s going to be car camping and super short trips to start. For reference, most of my knowledge came from Boy Scouts back in the late 90s, so I am sure things have changed a bunch.

I have a large cheap tent that I picked up at Costco. Do people still buy drop cloths to put underneath the tent? Not that I intend to be out in the rain initially, but I remember the drop cloths helping to keep the tent from turning into a swamp from water just wicking right through the floor.

I also picked up a cot, but I am a little worried about the legs of the cot putting too much pressure in small areas of the tent floor. Is there anything I can/should buy/build that is reasonably portable to spread the load out a bit on the floor of the tent? I figured I am getting older, and not having to be on the ground might be nice, but thinking about it, it won’t do me any good if I destroy my tent in the process. I am a bigger guy, getting close to the 300 pound recommended limit.

Cot:
https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/cots/products/camp-cot

Finally, any recommendations for large size sleeping bags that won’t break the bank? I am 6ft 6in, and most regular size bags won’t even come close. I am willing to spend a little bit of money, to not have to deal with layering a bunch of sheets and blankets.

If your tent has a footprint fitted to it, that might be good to buy to prolong the longevity of the floor. A tarp works just fine, but I'd get some flavor of ripstop nylon tarp instead of the crinkly blue polyethylene to put underneath. Drop cloths would work, but they're heavy, expensive, and soak up water. Also be sure to fold the edges under the tent if the tarp is larger, so the edges don't funnel water under the tent.

I've not found most cots to really be all that comfortable, and you're still going to want a sleeping pad underneath you for insulation. With car camping, I've enjoyed stuff like the exped megamat, or honestly, a double height inflatable air mattress with a foam mattress topper and regular old sheets and blankets over top. On the more expensive end, you might also look at quilts as another option. Lighter, more compact, and more comfortable and adjustable than a sleeping bag, but with a similar profile.

Until you figure out whether you want to or need to spend the money for a high performance option like that, I would honestly just save a few bucks and pick up a few regular comforters at the thrift store. Anything with artificial fiber stuffing would work just dandy and breathe condensation out while performing. You could even supplement with a wool or fleece blanket as well, all the above wick water and perform even when wet. Just avoid any cotton fill stuff (which is probably even easier nowadays because artificial fiber is cheaper and ubiquitous). If you want to give wool a shot, surplus stores often have some cheap wool blankets, or you can find old pendleton blankets for pretty cheap as well. Regular blankets and an air mattress may be bulkier overall, but it's also car camping, bring whatever you find to be most comfortable and enjoy the experience!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And as an immediate counterpoint, I'd suggest the tarp. Get a blaze orange one with a reflective mylar surface and it can do double duty as an emergency shelter/signal for SAR. Assuming it fits your tent, a 5x7 will weigh about 1 pound.

Maybe not that beneficial for car camping, but if you start doing anything backcountry it'll save you having to buy even more tarps.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

A sheet of tyvek will do the job too for very little weight and dollars

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bloody posted:

A sheet of tyvek will do the job too for very little weight and dollars

True, but it's also the loudest material on earth outside of those Sun Chips bags lol

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

amenenema posted:

True, but it's also the loudest material on earth outside of those Sun Chips bags lol

So I am hearing I need a case of Sun Chips and a roll of tape.

While looking for options on actually getting some tyvek, apparently it’s somewhat common, as I found all kinds of overpriced listings for precut sheets, some with grommets in the corners. Reddit recommended getting a duck brand heavy duty window sealing kit, and just using the roll of sealing plastic as ground cover. I might just give that a whirl for $10 and see how it goes.

There are definitely a lot more options for bedding than 25 years ago. Some of those quilt things look interesting in that they are still kind of bag like, or at least secure down to keep from falling off due to smaller size.

And that is going to be one of the fun things to figure out. I will probably find some cheap lightweight blankets or bag, as it will just be me and my kids in the summer the first couple of times. My wife might eventually join us, if my kids end up actually liking the reality of camping, not just the buildup of something new and different. So balancing cost and sizing for now vs what the future will need.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to be the thread tarp advocate, but if you're in the $10 range that's how much a bog standard 8x10 tarp costs.

Obviously cost goes up if you need bigger.. but that's true for the window insulation kit too.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Orvin posted:

While looking for options on actually getting some tyvek, apparently it’s somewhat common, as I found all kinds of overpriced listings for precut sheets, some with grommets in the corners. Reddit recommended getting a duck brand heavy duty window sealing kit, and just using the roll of sealing plastic as ground cover. I might just give that a whirl for $10 and see how it goes.

Lol

FWIW I got an 8x8' sheet with stick on corner grommets for $25 off Amazon a few years ago.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Not to be the thread tarp advocate, but if you're in the $10 range that's how much a bog standard 8x10 tarp costs.

Obviously cost goes up if you need bigger.. but that's true for the window insulation kit too.

Yeah, the more I think about it I totally agree, just grab a 5$ tarp from wallie world or if you have a hazard fraught nearby they used to run free tarp coupons. Walmart used to have super cheap and compact nylon tarps, and they still might in the camping section, but whatever you do honestly works.

The whole point is to just get outside and enjoy some scenery and greenery, maybe tune into caveman tv later in the evening. No need to overcomplicate something that's just there to help prolong the life of the tent floor from abrading on sharp stuff. Just get out, have fun, roast some weenies and marshmellows over the fire, and figure out what you want to change or upgrade for the next time out!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
It's that time of the year where I try and figure out what to blow my REI dividend on. I really don't think I need anything and I figure I should save up for something at this point. Maybe a new watch? The Garmin Instinct I have is still doing well so maybe not.

It seems like they did away with cashing out the dividend so I'm stuck with the dividend until I need something. Not the worst problem to have

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just opt for food, fuel, etc in those situations if I get anything at all.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Orvin posted:

There are definitely a lot more options for bedding than 25 years ago. Some of those quilt things look interesting in that they are still kind of bag like, or at least secure down to keep from falling off due to smaller size.

And that is going to be one of the fun things to figure out. I will probably find some cheap lightweight blankets or bag, as it will just be me and my kids in the summer the first couple of times. My wife might eventually join us, if my kids end up actually liking the reality of camping, not just the buildup of something new and different. So balancing cost and sizing for now vs what the future will need.

I've used window sealing kit as a very-light groundsheet for groundless tarp shelters before. It is extremely light, but not durable at all or easy to work with, since it blows around, gets stuck to stuff and itself etc. The only reason people use it is for backpacking where weight and volume may be at a premium.

For car camping + a floored tent you don't even need a groundsheet, but if you want to use one just get the cheapest tarp you can find. Weight/volume/material doesn't matter since it's literally just some poo poo on the ground to protect your tent a bit and it's just going from the car to the ground and back.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

It's that time of the year where I try and figure out what to blow my REI dividend on. I really don't think I need anything and I figure I should save up for something at this point. Maybe a new watch? The Garmin Instinct I have is still doing well so maybe not.

It seems like they did away with cashing out the dividend so I'm stuck with the dividend until I need something. Not the worst problem to have

Electric cooler?

Also you can just return what you got w the dividend and they'll give you cash (at least in store). This has happened to me a few times recently and I was surprised

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I want to get a pair of trekking poles for my mom who just retired, any recommendations? https://www.rei.com/search?q=trekking+poles

Light use so she probably doesn't need anything fancy, they're mostly to help with her footing on day hikes.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
In that case I'd recommend the trekking poles from Costco that are like $35-$50. They're a great value and if you don't need them for extremely demanding terrain they're more than Good Enough

E: like these, I don't know if they sell them in single packs or not https://www.costco.com/cascade-mountain-tech-100%25-carbon-fiber-trekking-pole%2c-2-pack.product.4000026930.html

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 17, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want fancy name brand, Leki poles would be my choice. They aren't the lightest or the coolest or the cheapest but they are quite durable and you can still get parts for them in 10 years (not that they have a lot of wear components, but if you want to add snow baskets or whatever it's nice to get long term support).

Also REI is doing their member sale right now, so get that discount!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Anyone got a good recommendation or some advice for a sleeping pad?

I'm trying to rig up my outback for car camping instead of hotel stays or for a rest on long trips. We just picked up a nice 2 person sleeping bag (exped mega sleep duo) but I don't know much about 2 person pass. The pad will be used car camping, as tent camping at sites but not backpacking. Size and comfort are my priority, less so weight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure I'm reading you right.. this to sleep in the car or not?

If car sleeping: a memory foam mattress on top of a plywood platform seems the best.

If you don't want to get that into it, a luno life air mattress works well. I've done two week road trips with it and sleep pretty well. It doubles as a nice thick tent mattress too.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 18, 2024

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

xzzy posted:

Not sure I'm reading you right.. this to sleep in the car or not?

If car sleeping: a car memory foam mattress on top of a plywood platform seems the best.

If you don't want to get that into it, a luno life air mattress works well. I've done two week road trips with it and sleep pretty well. It doubles as a nice thick tent mattress too.

Sleep in car: yes
Sleep in tent: yes
Backpacking: I hammock anyway, so no.

Cool, thank you. That's easy enough.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I don't need anything from the rei sale, but that doesn't seem to be stopping me from finding stuff I think I need

Is the leatherman signal sort of the equivalent of the rural gas station rainbow knives, in that it looks all nice and shiny but isn't super practical for anything? Like, I know I'm realistically just going to just use my lighter and a wax pad to start a fire at camp (even when backpacking), instead of messing around with a tiny flint sparker I'll probably immediately lose. But I'll be damned if I can't turn off the voice in my head that wants the tiny useless sparker for the shits and giggles of making a fire with meticulously trimmed and fluffed tinder. Same way I know the painted topo lines are gonna eventually scratch themselves off over time, but that doesn't seem to actually be dissuading my brain from still wanting it.

I swear, multitools and headlamps are two things I can't seem to stop myself from buying time and time again despite getting relatively such little use out of either :ohdear:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I have one, probably used the bottle opener more than anything else on it. Keep it in the car camping tote and it comes in handy once in a while

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My spouse has a mini Leatherman on their keychain and I have a Gerber dime on mine, those are definitely useful and see way more use than any other camping tool I have.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Keychain multitools are great. I currently use a nextool mini and it sees lots of use. The only one that is tempting me to switch is the victorinox officer knife with the built in lamp.

Full size multitools are almost never worth the effort to carry over them. Though I do have a noname bicyle multitool and the nextool adjustable wrench multi tool in my saddle bag on my bicycle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The leatherman micra is my pack knife because it's small and light and has scissors which are way more useful than pliers on a trail. It also has a flathead small enough to tighten screws on glasses which I use way more than I would have predicted.

I used to use whatever the micra precursor was but it got lost somewhere.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Catatron Prime posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it I totally agree, just grab a 5$ tarp from wallie world or if you have a hazard fraught nearby they used to run free tarp coupons. Walmart used to have super cheap and compact nylon tarps, and they still might in the camping section, but whatever you do honestly works.

The whole point is to just get outside and enjoy some scenery and greenery, maybe tune into caveman tv later in the evening. No need to overcomplicate something that's just there to help prolong the life of the tent floor from abrading on sharp stuff. Just get out, have fun, roast some weenies and marshmellows over the fire, and figure out what you want to change or upgrade for the next time out!

Thanks for the reality check. I will just end up grabbing some form of cheap tarp from Walmart or Ace or something. I figure for the $5-10 they cost, it will hopefully stretch the life of the tent a little bit.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm trying to rig up my outback for car camping instead of hotel stays or for a rest on long trips. We just picked up a nice 2 person sleeping bag (exped mega sleep duo) but I don't know much about 2 person pass. The pad will be used car camping, as tent camping at sites but not backpacking. Size and comfort are my priority, less so weight.

I picked up a exped sleeping pad (mega mat duo I think) a couple years ago for car and tent camping with my girlfriend and its been killer, would highly recommend it. I think all my friends also bought one after laying on ours. The other brand I see people speak positively about is hest, though a plywood base and some memory foam is going to be the most cost effective option but I like having something that packs up somewhat decently for when I'm not actually laying on it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I recently got an exped knockoff mattress from my Amazon vine program and it's going to be my new car camping pad. Holy gently caress is it comfortable, albeit massive.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
That was a close runner up, esp with the rei sale.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Whatever Exped Megamat you can fit. They have a car-shaped one now too:

https://www.expedusa.com/products/megamat-auto-moraine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Downside of the car exped is it's all or nothing. I like the ones with two air chambers split down the middle so you only have to inflate half of it if you're solo.

Self inflating is a killer feature though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've got a little battery powered inflator that charges on USB, its good for like 5 or so inflations of my megamat duo lw+ pad. It is nice to leave it to self inflate and then just top off before bed to get it to pressure. Double chamber would be cool though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I picked up a exped sleeping pad (mega mat duo I think) a couple years ago for car and tent camping with my girlfriend and its been killer, would highly recommend it. I think all my friends also bought one after laying on ours. The other brand I see people speak positively about is hest, though a plywood base and some memory foam is going to be the most cost effective option but I like having something that packs up somewhat decently for when I'm not actually laying on it.

That was exactly my experience awhile back when a buddy picked up the Thermarest Neoair Dream--it's a transcendental experience sleeping on those inflated foam pads and why I eventually got the exped to upgrade my diy airmattress + foam topper for car camping (which was also pretty decent, but just really bulky)

Speaking of camp upgrades, the REI sale lured me into pulling the trigger on that Kelty camp couch :homebrew:

I thought the idea was ridiculous at first but the more I thought about it, the nicer it seemed to have some flexibility with camp furniture for longer trips, and it seems decently well built if not a bit bulky... hoping it'll arrive in time to try it out next weekend!

Also wound up using my member coupon to get the leatherman signal since I've yet to see it on a great sale or even used for all that much off. I'm sure it'll probably end up being used mostly as a fidget toy while sitting by the fire, but I'm excited nonetheless

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've had my lay flat hammock (Amok Draumr) for over a year now, but last week was the first time using it since I got a smart watch 6 months ago and started tracking my sleep.

I logged my best sleep ever, and not by a small margin. The thing is so good I almost want to avoid trips where I need to bring the tent.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Catatron Prime posted:

I don't need anything from the rei sale, but that doesn't seem to be stopping me from finding stuff I think I need

I got some REI Hunker Down sleeping bags for my wife and I because we have too much car camping stuff and these pack down smaller than my trusty old Coleman bags.

Also picked up a REI down puffer coat on flash sale for $65. And some REI Roadtripper duffel bags for my kids to use.

Still haven't used my coupons.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Catatron Prime posted:

Speaking of camp upgrades, the REI sale lured me into pulling the trigger on that Kelty camp couch :homebrew:

Laying down while hanging out around the fire is my dream.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to sit by a fire and get so comfy you never get up, look at the Woods camp chairs out of Canada. They are comically bulky so are firmly in car camping turf but the Strathcona or Mammoth are black holes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Not sure where else to ask: does anyone use gallon sized water thermos/jugs?

I was looking at a yeti since they generally got top marks from review sites. A while ago I got a titan from Costco and the advertised cooling time was nowhere near accurate and other sites seemed to confirm my suspicions. Wound up returning because of Costco’s amazing no questions asked policy

I know a gallon is overkill for most and idk how it effects insulation efficiency but I’d love to hear experiences

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a 64oz insulated kleen canteen and it's very firmly in the "merely okay" category. For day hikes it's good for keeping ice water for when I get back to the car but beyond that it really only holds temperature for about 16 hours. That's probably normal though, ice in a hot car is a losing match. It does better if I wrap it in a sleeping bag.

On multi day trips I use it to pre-warm cooking water by leaving it out in the sun all day. It holds enough heat to reduce boil times in the morning.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I had a katadyn befree filter and 1L bottle with me last weekend’s 2-day hike and camping and holy poo poo it is good. No more carrying extra water or boiling lake water for drinking, just fill it from a lake or a stream and bam you have cool clean water.

e. also had trail runners instead of mids
or gtx boots and while they were nice, I wished I had hiking poles as the first day was mostly up- and downhills and almost rolled my ankle twice.

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sorbus posted:

I had a katadyn befree filter and 1L bottle with me last weekend’s 2-day hike and camping and holy poo poo it is good. No more carrying extra water or boiling lake water for drinking, just fill it from a lake or a stream and bam you have cool clean water.

e. also had trail runners instead of mids
or gtx boots and while they were nice, I wished I had hiking poles as the first day was mostly up- and downhills and almost rolled my ankle twice.

Be careful with the BeFree. I had one when they were all the rage back in the day, and mine clogged and then burst at the seams almost immediately. A lot of people have had issues with that over the years.

I was skeptical of them, but I have really come to love my Grayl for shorter trips and day hikes. On longer trips I'm still bringing my Sawyer Squeeze, which has held up super well over the years, and can easily be field cleaned and maintained.