Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Gyges posted:

A quick google tells me that you would have to eat over 5-7 pounds of tuna a week just to hit maximum limits. That is an absolute fuckload of tuna sandwiches for ol' Wormy to be wolfing down to reach 10X safe recommendation.

Blorange posted:

I'm seeing a lot less than that, a 200 pound man can eat 2 3oz sandwiches a week. Having sandwich every day could easily get to 10 times the recommended levels over a few months.

I had no idea that tuna is that practically inedible due to mercury contamination.

So you're saying it's .. too much tuna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Gripweed posted:

The obvious conclusion is that he was lying about where the mercury was coming from.

He was attempting to find the secret elixir of immortality.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

small butter posted:

What are fake chronic diseases?

Well there are full on ones like morgellons and chronic lyme, but lots of people diagnose themselves with various things and ascribe it to "toxins". You go on anti-vaxx boards, you're going to see people advocating chelation therapy as a cure for autism - which is real obviously but the "cause" is fake.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

uninterrupted posted:

Why do you think 8 million Soviets deaths were valued less than 7 million Jews?

Oh no, dig *up*

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

small butter posted:

What are fake chronic diseases?

Like, Delta 8.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, how widespread are these worms

Widespread

Edit also RFK's brain eating worm died of starvation

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I'd like to think that if I had a brain worm, I would just get one of those fake doctors for hire like Trump had saying how insanely healthy I am, and never admit to the worms. But, maybe a consequence of the worms is that it stops you from being able to think like that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

7c Nickel posted:

https://bsky.app/profile/taniel.bsky.social/post/3krx2u3w5ai2d

Toss this on the pile with the other special election results. Ottowa County 2020 was 60%/40% for Trump in 2020, and just recalled a Republican County Commissioner 60%/40% in favor of a Democrat.

This is bad for Biden, because...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
True Soul RFK channeling Authority to corner BG3 playerbase.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

single-mode fiber posted:

I'd like to think that if I had a brain worm, I would just get one of those fake doctors for hire like Trump had saying how insanely healthy I am, and never admit to the worms. But, maybe a consequence of the worms is that it stops you from being able to think like that.

Yeah well apparently the worm destroyed the part of his brain that told him when he shouldn't say stuff
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1765564202851139851

(Though really it's from a 2012 divorce deposition so this is oppo research rather than an admission. The interesting question is: which campaign dropped it)

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1788007936289017920

She dropped out of the race weeks ago and double digit % of primary voters would still rather choose her over Trump.

Indiana had no Dem primary. Biden was literally the only candidate on the ballot, no write-in option was even available. It's likely there was some material amount of Dem voters that voted Haley as a non-Trump appeal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelsobolik/status/1787902538928304338

Interesting that China is forcing ByteDance to leave billions on the table rather than expose their proprietary algorithms to an outside entity. They let the owner of Grindr sell in 2020.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh no, dig *up*

Careful. Denying that the Soviets were actually the main victims of the Holocaust can get you a fancy new avatar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Interesting that China is forcing ByteDance to leave billions on the table rather than expose their proprietary algorithms to an outside entity. They let the owner of Grindr sell in 2020.

I don't know how much they're leaving on the table, but it's not a large part of ByteDance's revenue.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/bytedance-prefers-tiktok-shutdown-us-if-legal-options-fail-sources-say-2024-04-25/

quote:

TikTok accounts for a small share of ByteDance's total revenues and daily active users, so the parent would rather have the app shut down in the U.S. in a worst case scenario than sell it to a potential American buyer, they said.

The U.S. accounted for about 25% of TikTok's overall revenues last year, said a separate source with direct knowledge.

TikTok's daily active users in the U.S. also make up just about 5% of ByteDance's DAUs worldwide, said one of the sources.

Edit:

It looks like TikTok got $18.5 billion in ad revenue projected in 2024, so they're losing $4.65 billion from the U.S. operations shutting down.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1344972/tiktok-net-ad-revenue-worldwide/

ByteDance's overall revenue is $120 billion, so 3.8% of total revenue lost to protect the algorithm.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 8, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

They already exposed the algorithms to outside entities such as Oracle.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
TikTok is only a smart part of ByteDance's revenue, and TikTok US is less than half of TikTok's revenue and much less of its growth. The idea that ByteDance should sell off part of its brand or its IP in order to protect a small part of its market is pure American exceptionalism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So then why block the sale

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

zoux posted:

Yeah, if the government of China made a law saying that Google or Facebook had to sell its proprietary algorithms to a Chinese company outside its control, I would expect that company to refuse as well. I don't think this is remotely surprising.

And if they did refuse and China banned it as a consequence, I think we would simply call it a ban and not do a weird dance of "oh, but Google could have avoided it if they just let a Chinese company operate as Google in China, so it's not really a ban."

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

zoux posted:

1. This is extortion (sell to us or we ban you), and both the PRC and ByteDance don't want to submit to extortionary demands
2. ByteDance wants to protect their brand and IP from dilution, and prevent the rise of international competitors

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Careful. Denying that the Soviets were actually the main victims of the Holocaust can get you a fancy new avatar.

What, people are still parroting the Soviet line that the Jews weren't a special target of genocide but were simply "peaceful Soviet citizens"?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, if the government of China made a law saying that Google or Facebook had to sell its proprietary algorithms to a Chinese company outside its control, I would expect that company to refuse as well. I don't think this is remotely surprising.

And if they did refuse and China banned it as a consequence, I think we would simply call it a ban and not do a weird dance of "oh, but Google could have avoided it if they just let a Chinese company operate as Google in China, so it's not really a ban."

I mean this is literally why China does not have Facebook or Google.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

single-mode fiber posted:

This is why he is renowned as an advocate of overlooked causes and you are renowned for posting on a forum. You and he are not the same.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

zoux posted:

TikTok doesn't just exist in the US you know

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

tractor fanatic posted:

1. This is extortion (sell to us or we ban you), and both the PRC and ByteDance don't want to submit to extortionary demands
2. ByteDance wants to protect their brand and IP from dilution, and prevent the rise of international competitors

I hate when the big mean government extorts me by closing down my restaurant unless I have a working freezer to put my meat in. If my customers want to eat my food I should have the right to sell it to them free of interference.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Magic Underwear posted:

I hate when the big mean government extorts me by closing down my restaurant unless I have a working freezer to put my meat in. If my customers want to eat my food I should have the right to sell it to them free of interference.

What's the freezer in this analogy?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Magic Underwear posted:

It's extortion because TikTok has done nothing wrong. There's no data or privacy law they are violating, this is purely a matter of ownership. This is the big mean government saying you need to sell your restaurant to someone who lives in town.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

They passed a law specifically telling TikTok to sell or shut down U.S. operations. I don't think this analogy works.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

What, people are still parroting the Soviet line that the Jews weren't a special target of genocide but were simply "peaceful Soviet citizens"?

The argument was that on Holocaust Remembrance day, how dare Joe Biden talk about Jews and not Soviets. Did you know that more Soviets died that Jews and therefore...

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

Yep. It was actually about anti-communism apparently.

uninterrupted posted:

I'm perfectly conscious that Jews and Soviet citizens can be the same people. That doesn't change the fact that more Soviets than Jews died in the Holocaust, but Biden chose to highlight antisemitism instead of anti communism, the later being the cause of objectively more deaths, to facilitate and justify the current Holocaust.

No, stating that only Jews died in the Holocaust is Holocaust denial

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tractor fanatic posted:

It's extortion because TikTok has done nothing wrong. There's no data or privacy law they are violating, this is purely a matter of ownership. This is the big mean government saying you need to sell your restaurant to someone who lives in town.

They haven't been proven to have done anything criminal. They've done plenty of things that are arguably morally wrong. For example, concealing their algorithm and feeding a shitload of suspect information to little kids (like every other social media company)

The problem isn't so much what's being done to tiktok as that similarly punitive sanctions aren't being applied to all other social media conpanies.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

tractor fanatic posted:

I disagree completely, they continued to ship American data to China and therefore to the CCP even after they claimed they stopped. I don't see anything wrong with insisting that foreign companies play by our rules if they want to operate here. Since we have no good ways of enforcing data privacy laws on Chinese companies our choice is to capitulate or to exclude them.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They haven't been proven to have done anything criminal. They've done plenty of things that are arguably morally wrong. For example, concealing their algorithm and feeding a shitload of suspect information to little kids (like every other social media company)

Ok, so in this analogy, no restaurants in town use freezers, but you, foreign owned restaurant must sell or we shut you down. That's still extortion.

Magic Underwear posted:

I disagree completely, they continued to ship American data to China and therefore to the CCP even after they claimed they stopped. I don't see anything wrong with insisting that foreign companies play by our rules if they want to operate here. Since we have no good ways of enforcing data privacy laws on Chinese companies our choice is to capitulate or to exclude them.

What data privacy laws? What rules?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TikTok will exclude the United States and the rest of the world's citizens will profit.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Zore posted:

I mean this is literally why China does not have Facebook or Google.

Yes! Technically, they have a Google China, but most of its services are not available unless you go through a VPN and China tries to stop people from using VPNs... and you can get into all kinds of details, but if someone says that most Google services are banned in China, trying to argue that it's not a ban is just pedantry. It is a ban.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

That's an extremely weak analogy because they're not making broad regulations, they're just saying "nope, not you." As someone actually concerned about privacy and security, there's an awful lot of room for us to grow with regulations that all companies operating in the US have to follow, but they're not doing that. They're singling out TikTok because it's Chinese-operated and because they aren't able to extralegally strongarm content control. I'm genuinely not that concerned that China specifically is harvesting social media data, I'm concerned about governments doing it in general.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Alabama's legislators unanimously approved Biden to appear on the November ballot, leaving Ohio as the sole state (to my knowledge) barring Biden bc of a time limit between his official nomination and the general election.

Ohio's state lege has till tomorrow to change the deadline.

quote:

In Ohio, the state elections chief has said the Republican-led Legislature has until Thursday to approve an exemption to the state’s 90-day rule, which sets this year’s ballot deadline at Aug. 7. No bill appears to be forthcoming, but leaders of both parties haven’t entirely ruled one out. The state House and Senate both have voting sessions scheduled for Wednesday.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
So I read through the Tiktok complaint (https://sf16-va.tiktokcdn.com/obj/e...-account=public, it's a pretty easy skim with much of it just making arguments from a variety of angles (they even mention Lamont at one point which is a pretty important one that I've posted about previously) and giving a bunch of background on Tiktok and the Tiktok ban bill. But one part I found interesting is a reference to a CFIUS agreement that has been mentioned in the news previously but without much followup: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilybaker-white/2023/08/21/draft-tiktok-cfius-agreement/?sh=6e0739b7112a

This agreement would apparently have been secret anyway, the text at least. But according to Tiktok's complaint, the government stopped responding last year. This is pretty interesting since a CFIUS agreement would have essentially meant the government would have special oversight over Tiktok unlike other social media companies and would represent a much less harsh measure compared to just forcing it to sell. And the agreement would have apparently included the ability to shut down Tiktok if certain provisions weren't met. I would be very interested to see what happened here because it's not clear why the government allegedly stopped working with Tiktok on this agreement. And this agreement would arguably go much further in addressing national security concerns beyond Project Texas. But of course it would likely not curtail any "pro-terrorist" speech since that is still covered by 1A and is a reason given by numerous lawmakers as to the reason for the ban.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 8, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean I just assumed tiktok would have competent enough attorneys to delay this all till the next ice age

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

This is why he is renowned as an advocate of overlooked causes and you are renowned for posting on a forum. You and he are not the same.

Hell, I'm not even very renowned for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

koolkal posted:

So I read through the Tiktok complaint (https://sf16-va.tiktokcdn.com/obj/e...-account=public, it's a pretty easy skim with much of it just making arguments from a variety of angles (they even mention Lamont at one point which is a pretty important one that I've posted about previously) and giving a bunch of background on Tiktok and the Tiktok ban bill. But one part I found interesting is a reference to a CFIUS agreement that has been mentioned in the news previously but without much followup: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilybaker-white/2023/08/21/draft-tiktok-cfius-agreement/?sh=6e0739b7112a

This agreement would apparently have been secret anyway, the text at least. But according to Tiktok's complaint, the government stopped responding last year. This is pretty interesting since a CFIUS agreement would have essentially meant the government would have special oversight over Tiktok unlike other social media companies and would represent a much less harsh measure compared to just forcing it to sell. And the agreement would have apparently included the ability to shut down Tiktok if certain provisions weren't met. I would be very interested to see what happened here because it's not clear why the government allegedly stopped working with Tiktok on this agreement. And this agreement would arguably go much further in addressing national security concerns beyond Project Texas. But of course it would likely not curtail any "pro-terrorist" speech since that is still covered by 1A and is a reason given by numerous lawmakers as to the reason for the ban.

The TikTok complaint says they stopped negotiating in the first half of 2022 and not last year. The last major revisions were March 2022 and the last contact of any kind was August 2022.

The CFIUS explicitly would have given the U.S. control over modifications to content and moderation policies, so they could have had that if that was the main goal.

quote:

changes to the app’s U.S. terms of service and moderation policies