Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm not going to be gaslit into believing that Kylie was dominating the pop scene in her Impossible Princess era!!

(I'm Canadian, but the very first online purchase I made was I begged my mom to let me import Fever off amazon dot co dot uk because I loved Light Years so much and Fever came out 5 months later in North America than in the rest of the world. God, I watched the olympics opening ceremony because I knew she would be performing)

She was topping the singles charts in the late 80s... just not in North America. Her first album in '88 topped the UK charts and sold more copies there in that release than I think she ever did in North America for all her albums combined.

It was mostly mismanagement by her label at the time; case in point Fever releasing in the US half a year after the rest of the world in the LimeWire Era.

Frankly, you've gaslight yourself into thinking she is not relevant and you're missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

e:delete.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 8, 2024

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
For me this last episode peaked in excitement when Becca found that they installed a whole mirror maze in the building. I thought the contestant interactions were okay and some of the props the art department made were nice but there didn't really seem to be any climax or anything to break up the routine of finding new buzzers or solving telegraphed buzzer challenges until the episode was over. Similar recent episodes with a bunch of puzzles like the escape room had stuff to break it up like an overarching plotline and sense of progression or neat surprises (secret room behind pictures, Sam locked up in bathroom).

Maybe I'm spoiled by all the twist and mystery episodes lately but at the end I wanted them to get up on the roof and find a big button and realize the whole building was a giant buzzer the whole time or something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it'd be hard to structure it in a way that ramped up when the whole concept was that the buzzers were anywhere in and around the building.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I don’t think every episode needs a twist, big reveal, ramping tension, etc

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
At its core, it is a game show where the game changes every show. It doesn’t have a narrative, or an arc. It’s a game show.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think there's "actually" a secret plot or whatever with Sam looking at his hands at each introduction but speculating on nonsense is fun, and after Escape the Breakroom I do not trust this man.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I would watch any three of the Seven do anything in any situation, they're all so chaotic and play off each other so well. This was great fun

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wungus posted:

I would watch any three of the Seven do anything in any situation, they're all so chaotic and play off each other so well. This was great fun

I realized I haven’t seen that D20 season, I’m excited to start it. My wife doesn’t watch any D20 content and she liked the Buzzer episode so much she suggested putting trying out “The Seven”.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
You're all right- there are a bunch of episodes like that that I think are great. I guess I was just trying to find some underlying reason for thinking this episode was boring or trying to think of something that would have made it worth watching for me. It's weird because one of the episodes I think this most closely resembles in terms of format and contestant interactions (Name a Number) is one of my favorites, so I guess I just don't like the game and the way it was presented.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

YggiDee posted:

I don't think there's "actually" a secret plot or whatever with Sam looking at his hands at each introduction but speculating on nonsense is fun, and after Escape the Breakroom I do not trust this man.

So, I've been rewatching old eps and I see he did it at the start of Sam Says 1, so it might just be a recurring bit

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I've been rewatching old eps and I see he did it at the start of Sam Says 1, so it might just be a recurring bit

It's been there the whole time.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

I realized I haven’t seen that D20 season, I’m excited to start it. My wife doesn’t watch any D20 content and she liked the Buzzer episode so much she suggested putting trying out “The Seven”.
It's maybe my favorite D20 thing. Everyone commits so heavily and there's such a bond between them, it's fantastic. Have fun!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a lot of very good dimension 20 seasons but the seven is up there

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih6_YisTqas

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Can confirm, I did indeed do that when going through radiation therapy for cancer

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lot of hints on d20's social media that Ally does something extremely dumb and funny on tonight's FHJY episode. Something so outrageous that BLM says it may break the world and Ally jokes BLM might quit the show over.

I'm a few episodes behind, but I'm contemplating watching tonight anyway so I can share in the shenanigans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This looks amazing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Lot of hints on d20's social media that Ally does something extremely dumb and funny on tonight's FHJY episode. Something so outrageous that BLM says it may break the world and Ally jokes BLM might quit the show over.

I'm a few episodes behind, but I'm contemplating watching tonight anyway so I can share in the shenanigans.

shes been metagaming beyond mulligan’s ken the whole season. some of the most postmodern tabletop gameplay ive ever seen

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Bobulus posted:

I just finished Party Politics. I'm so far behind this season.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bobulus posted:

They've already gotten Brennan to get up and leave during Neverafter, I'd imagine it's like that.

I have to say that this Kristen is my second favorite Ally character yet. Usually I don't care for their characters but Kristen has been so much fun this season I'm loving having her on camera.

The favorite is, of course, Margaret Encino, but I feel like that's cheating.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Margaret Encinco is the character that made me appreciate Ally's humor so much more in hindsight.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just finish the Last Stand. Enjoying how the original cast are now bewilderingly expert dnd players and continue to thwart preposterously unbeatable situations Mulligan sets up. Just going to keep expecting him to throw one of those in every series they do with them.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

They've already gotten Brennan to get up and leave during Neverafter, I'd imagine it's like that.

I have to say that this Kristen is my second favorite Ally character yet. Usually I don't care for their characters but Kristen has been so much fun this season I'm loving having her on camera.

okay but which kristen

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just finish the Last Stand. Enjoying how the original cast are now bewilderingly expert dnd players and continue to thwart preposterously unbeatable situations Mulligan sets up. Just going to keep expecting him to throw one of those in every series they do with them.

The Last Stand really shows how they've stepped up since freshman year and all the other non-FH seasons they've done and optimized the poo poo out of their characters and the game. They were like a well oiled machine in that

bbcisdabomb posted:

Margaret feels like a character where there is very little daylight between Ally and her

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Margaret feels like she once met someone like Kristen and was so primally offended that she redirected her entire self into Not Being That.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

The Last Stand really shows how they've stepped up since freshman year and all the other non-FH seasons they've done and optimized the poo poo out of their characters and the game. They were like a well oiled machine in that

I think the gauntlet fight in Starstruck was the first case of this - Last Stand continues the trend. What a glorious season that was, still can't wait for the sequel.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

JHFY ep 18: "I'm gonna do a quick matcha ceremony, it always makes the meth go down smooth!"

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
https://variety.com/2024/tv/awards/dropout-emmys-game-changer-dimenson-20-ineligible-1235996243/

Pretty cool that dropout is going for an Emmy and I think they should definitely get at least the nom for game changer. Best game show in contention imo

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bobulus posted:

Can confirm. This happened and I was wheezing for like five solid minute.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Can confirm. This happened and I was wheezing for like five solid minute.

Blimey

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Brennan leaving for two minutes and returning to that must have been a head gently caress

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
CORRECT.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Anyone wann spoil for someone several years behind?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This episode should've just been called 'blimey'.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

This episode should've just been called 'blimey'.

If that's not the title of tomorrow's adventuring party I'll be disappointed

Edit: typo

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 9, 2024

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anyone wann spoil for someone several years behind?

Being fairly vague: Ally took a Divine Intervention roll, something that can potentially be immensely impactful and previous seasons of D20 have always treated with the gravitas it was due, and turned it into a bit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magitek posted:

Being fairly vague: Ally took a Divine Intervention roll, something that can potentially be immensely impactful and previous seasons of D20 have always treated with the gravitas it was due, and turned it into a bit

I don't even think I'd characterise it like that. Ally used everything they had in their toolkit to succeed, and the dice happened to make it happen in the most ridiculous, drama-breaking way possible. (And then all six of them rode the bit as hard as they could)

Brennan can't complain, he gave the go-ahead on K2 being able to cast it in the first place. He made his bed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 9, 2024

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Just an incredible ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The other half that messed up Brennans flow was that, (slightly less vague spoilers) while Brennan was out of the room for a moment reacting to the bit, Ally rapidly conceived of a new bit that a npc who had just been wiped from existence might have been pregnant, resulting in Brennan acting quickly to use his gm powers to declare the pregnancy a false-positive so the episode wouldn't end with bummer implications.

Edit: that sounds super weird having typed it out, but it was more silly than anything.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2024