Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
oh my god, she looks so mad. what a cutie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

yeah i had a dumpster runt male cat that never got above 10lbs in his entire life and now i have a ragdoll male that’s like 12lbs before he’s a year and a half old

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Taima posted:

I uh, sorry? Do you really want me to describe language to you?

He's not fat. "he's a consummate fat rear end" like, you know, a joke? He likes food is the joke, thank you for coming to my ted talk

goons man, what an anti social way to approach basic human communication...

You say your cat is a fatass, I understand it to mean your cat is a fatass. I can't see inside your head, and text has no tone of voice or facial expression. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, I have no frame of reference for when you might be joking and when you might be serious.

All I've got is what you wrote, nothing more and nothing less.

Good to hear you're taking care of your cat.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 6, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

You say your cat is a fatass, I understand it to mean your cat is a fatass. I can't see inside your head, and text has no tone of voice or facial expression. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, I have no frame of reference for when you might be joking and when you might be serious.

All I've got is what you wrote, nothing more and nothing less.

Good to hear you're taking care of your cat.

:catstare:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The automated feeder we ended up getting has been working great

Unfortunately, it has not solved the "cat wants me to get up every morning at 7 AM" issue really. He goes down and gets the food and he knows where his food comes from, he just runs back upstairs immediately after to keep working on getting me out of bed.

It's pretty funny though because I don't have to STAY up or anything. As long as I get up and head downstairs with him, even if it's just for a couple minutes, he seems totally satisfied with that. Then if I go back upstairs and go to bed he'll just kind of come back up awhile later for snuggles and to fall asleep. He just apparently needs me to come down the stairs with him at the right time in order to be satisfied that he's performed his alarm clock duties admirably

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

oh my god, she looks so mad. what a cutie

Dinner is at 6pm. Her every day at 5:59pm.

No one in history has endured a more disappointed glare.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

Dinner is at 6pm. Her every day at 5:59pm.

No one in history has endured a more disappointed glare.

That cat posts about you in the helldump your owners thread on SomethingCatful.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The automated feeder we ended up getting has been working great

Unfortunately, it has not solved the "cat wants me to get up every morning at 7 AM" issue really. He goes down and gets the food and he knows where his food comes from, he just runs back upstairs immediately after to keep working on getting me out of bed.

It's pretty funny though because I don't have to STAY up or anything. As long as I get up and head downstairs with him, even if it's just for a couple minutes, he seems totally satisfied with that. Then if I go back upstairs and go to bed he'll just kind of come back up awhile later for snuggles and to fall asleep. He just apparently needs me to come down the stairs with him at the right time in order to be satisfied that he's performed his alarm clock duties admirably

If you go back to ignoring, the goal is for him to see the machine as the source, not you, and then not wake you up, which I understood as the problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our automatic feeders completely reprogrammed our cats, they went from crawling all over my desk when their morning meal was due to disappearing and camping the bowls up to 45 minutes before they dispense.

The little electric motor noise is like a race pistol firing.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

xzzy posted:

The little electric motor noise is like a race pistol firing.
I do not miss when my cat was still a ravenous teenager and would immediately fully extend her claws into my body and use it as a launching pad when she heard the feeder dispensing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've always been super lucky in that all my cats have responded well to free feeding. All I do is keep the bowl full of dry food and they eat responsibly enough to maintain a decent weight.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

If you go back to ignoring, the goal is for him to see the machine as the source, not you, and then not wake you up, which I understood as the problem.

I've been doing my best, but it's pretty tough! He's a very loud boy and knows that nibbling cords or scratching things will get our attention better than anything else

The worst part is he seems to assume that "sun up" means "human up" because now he's starting to get antsy around like.. quarter to 6 am. Hopefully he'll understand that me being up has nothing to do with him getting his food soon.

It doesn't help that we have to use a manual feeder for the other guy though I think? But he gets spooked by the noise running and it's pretty likely that his food motivated brother/alarm clock would run over and steal his food

Khizan posted:

I've always been super lucky in that all my cats have responded well to free feeding. All I do is keep the bowl full of dry food and they eat responsibly enough to maintain a decent weight.

All of my other cats have been like this, so it's a bit of a new problem for us. He's actually happy as a clam if he gets a full cup of food basically, and he settles in to just grazing once he's sure it's not going anywhere. Unfortunately that was too much food :sigh:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 7, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My cat never bothers me about food, like she's never woken me up or meowed at me incessantly for food and sometimes I wonder what I'm missing out on. In the mornings she'll just jump on my bed and sleep on my legs until I wake up.

I feed her twice a day on a very loose schedule, breakfast is around 7am after I've gotten showered and finished making lunch for myself, and dinner is around 5:30-6:30pm, just a bit after I get home from work and veg out a bit.

Speaking of food, she eats tiki cat wet food exclusively. I like it cause it's basically pure meat and there's no filler, but it's also a bit expensive. Any recommendations for wet food that's similar but maybe a bit cheaper? I switch between pate and chunks, chicken/poultry mostly and some fish.

Weirdest thing about my cat is she doesn't drink water which I'm told is because of her wet food diet. I tried an electric fountain but resold it because she never touched it. I just gave up with water bowls and just mix warm water in with her food now so her food is more like soup. She does drink it all and the vet isn't worried about her being dehydrated so :shrug:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 8, 2024

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
We feed ours a mix of either wellness or tiki cat wet food along with wellness indoor kibble. We mix in the dry for ours because it's a little cheaper than just feeding the wet food. They don't drink a lot of water either, although we leave a bowl out for the times when they do. Tiki cat does have a lot of moisture so it's not surprising that the cat wouldn't drink water if it's solely eating a diet of that food.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The other weird/nice thing is my cat only poops like once every 2-3 days. She still pees every day though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

My cat never bothers me about food, like she's never woken me up or meowed at me incessantly for food and sometimes I wonder what I'm missing out on. In the mornings she'll just jump on my bed and sleep on my legs until I wake up.

I feed her twice a day on a very loose schedule, breakfast is around 7am after I've gotten showered and finished making lunch for myself, and dinner is around 5:30-6:30pm, just a bit after I get home from work and veg out a bit.

Speaking of food, she eats tiki cat wet food exclusively. I like it cause it's basically pure meat and there's no filler, but it's also a bit expensive. Any recommendations for wet food that's similar but maybe a bit cheaper? I switch between pate and chunks, chicken/poultry mostly and some fish.

Weirdest thing about my cat is she doesn't drink water which I'm told is because of her wet food diet. I tried an electric fountain but resold it because she never touched it. I just gave up with water bowls and just mix warm water in with her food now so her food is more like soup. She does drink it all and the vet isn't worried about her being dehydrated so :shrug:

My cat eats only the after dark Tiki wet food, it is indeed expensive, my recommendation is to look now and again for deals (especially around christmas) and when you find a deal go loving hard. I spend over a grand on her food every time I find it on sale for 25% off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

My cat eats only the after dark Tiki wet food, it is indeed expensive, my recommendation is to look now and again for deals (especially around christmas) and when you find a deal go loving hard. I spend over a grand on her food every time I find it on sale for 25% off.

Our eldest gato can sense when we bulk purchase whatever wet food he’s willing to eat at the moment, and as soon as we do, he’ll start refusing it until we offer him something else.

Cats are assholes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

25% is pretty good. I usually see something like "buy 10 (of the smaller size cans) get 2 free" so 17% or so at PetSmart. But I don't drive so I end up paying a smaller premium delivering via Chewy for the convenience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When trying new food, our cats became masters at gobbling up the first sample and convincing us it was a win. So we'd get a 12 pack and this would render it inedible. They're old enough now that we've tried basically every brand and have reliably figured out what they'll actually eat so the danger has passed.

Fortunately when they were kittens we had other cat owner friends that we could do a food exchange with, we got their castoffs and they got ours.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heh when you have 3 cats and X fosters like us, you just buy the cheapest wet food you can, and if they don't like it, WELP guess you'll just eat the dry food, buddy!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh man, had quite a scare the other day. Left the front door wide open for I don't know how long, at least two or three hours, and I only noticed because I saw one of the cats out the window.

I'm super thankful I spend so much time with them in the yard and they've come to see it, I think, as the place they are supposed to stay, and both of them were just lounging/wandering around outside in the usual places they like to hang out. Was very worried they might have wandered off and I'd have to spend the afternoon looking for them.

Called one in and gave them treats, and the other decided they wanted treats too and came back in on their own, and the situation was resolved.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had a scare with one of our cats who ran outside with no one noticing. Usually she just lounges for a few minutes and then we bring her back inside, but this time we had several hours of Ring camera footage of her running back and forth terrified trying to get back in :( there were even a few dog walkers that went by that she had to hide from.

I'm just glad it was in the daytime, as we're in coyote territory...!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Am I overreacting when I'm worried about my cat even though she hasn't displayed any actual symptoms of something being wrong? She all of a sudden started meowing really loudly and continuously for almost an hour straight today, which is very uncharacteristic of her.

I actually took her to a vet based on that, they did a quick check-up and found nothing wrong but wrote a recipe for a pain medication just in case. Dunno, besides eating and litter box usage, is there something else that I should be keeping an eye on? She seems to move normally and besides the meowing her behaviour seems fairly normal although maybe bit restless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a cat gonna cat situation to me. Might be reacting to something (like new noise outside or other animals in the area) or maybe she woke up and decided to test out her singing voice.

Cats generally hide when they're in pain so I'd not worry about discomfort.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

xzzy posted:

Might be reacting to something (like new noise outside or other animals in the area)

I actually did notice other day that there's a new cat in an apartment that is kinda opposite to mine so that they can see each other through the window. I don't know if that would be enough to set them off if they can't smell the other cat, they have already seen plenty of cats in the yard under my windows and that has never bothered them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sometimes my cat will bolt out of my bed at MAXXX SPEED and run out to the living room and jump onto the window sill.

Because a cat meowed outside so quietly that no adult human could have heard.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

I actually did notice other day that there's a new cat in an apartment that is kinda opposite to mine so that they can see each other through the window. I don't know if that would be enough to set them off if they can't smell the other cat, they have already seen plenty of cats in the yard under my windows and that has never bothered them.

This would make my cat lose her got drat mind lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because a cat meowed outside so quietly that no adult human could have heard.

Cat hearing is legitimately insane. It's not really useful to read stuff like "a zillion times more sensitive than humans" because we really have no frame of reference for stats like that. But when you see a cat lock on to something invisible it illustrates it well.

One time when I was out walking my cat she froze on the sidewalk and crouched down all hunter style. I could see her locked on to a seam between a driveway and a lawn like 20 feet away, and as we waited she followed whatever critter was under there all the way within five feet. Then she pounced and this tiny little mouse bolted across the driveway trying to escape (which it did, cat hit the end of the leash and that was the end of it).

There was all kinds of other noises going on too, a breeze, nearby traffic, birds in the trees, etc. And out of all of that she could track a single mouse rummaging through the grass.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Obfuscation posted:

Am I overreacting when I'm worried about my cat even though she hasn't displayed any actual symptoms of something being wrong? She all of a sudden started meowing really loudly and continuously for almost an hour straight today, which is very uncharacteristic of her.

That's way more likely to be asking for attention or announcing her presence to the world than any indication of pain. One of my cats caterwauls in the middle of the night after hunting and killing her foil balls, and then deposits them in our room (meowing the whole time while carrying them). And she's normally pretty quiet in general otherwise.

While it's still good to be cautious of any change in personality, what you want to watch out for is if she stops eating as much, throws up more often, starts hiding in a closet or under a bed regularly, stops cleaning herself, has a sudden personality change to be hostile, doesn't like being touched in certain spots, poops/pees outside the litterbox, or if she strains to poop/pee. Cats are VERY subtle about pain, and often it can be too late when you notice a major change.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My cats meow regularly, but mostly at each other or in rooms where they are alone and doing god knows what. Sometimes they do the plaintative meow that also means "help I've managed to get stuck" but half the time they are just sitting in the middle of the room doing nothing, its weird.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

My cats meow regularly, but mostly at each other or in rooms where they are alone and doing god knows what. Sometimes they do the plaintative meow that also means "help I've managed to get stuck" but half the time they are just sitting in the middle of the room doing nothing, its weird.

That plaintive meow is just the default for one of our cats, usually right at bedtime because he wants to cuddle between us, in the morning because he wants attention and more cuddles, or because he is currently in the process of getting attention and wants you to know he wants you to keep giving him attention.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

One of our boys, aptly named pavarotti, talks CONSTANTLY, especially when he wants food

The other barely meows at all, except when he goes into the downstairs bathroom where he'll just sit in there and meow super loudly until someone comes. I think he just likes the acoustics maybe

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a cat gonna cat situation to me.

when your cat gets sick and the vet tells you to watch out for "strange behavior" you will drive yourself insane. cats do so many weird things per day that you don't notice. vets also were always like, "welp, yeah .... cats"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

One of the meows I've picked up on is the "meow there's a bug I wanna eat it meow". I always come right over and capture the bug and let it out the window and then give my cat a treat for it. Another meow she does is the "the toy is stuck under the kitchen pantry" meow. Other than that my cat doesn't meow too much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The thing is they mostly meow when they are not in the same room as me and will instantly go quiet if they think I am paying attention. Whatever they are mewoing for, it doesn't seem to be me. Its just indistinguishable from when they do want something from me.

If they actually want my attention and arent trapped somewhere, though, their behaviours are quite different. One bites my mustache and pulls while purring relentlessly, and the repeatedly rubs against me and then moves in the direction of what they want on repeat. No meows.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 9, 2024

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

What I'm reading in this thread is that different cats have tried different techniques for training their humans and some have had more success than others.

Cinnamon yells for attention, or to announce she caught a toy, or when she's hungry. Loki is much quieter and more direct when he wants something: he'll flop over in front of you and start squirming around when he wants petting, and if you ignore him he'll come and gently bite your elbow or foot or whatever he can reach.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pepper is a perfect angel, if I ignore her when she wants attention she will reach up and tap me on the arm with her paw. I did not train her to do this specifically she just did it one day and got such an effusive result (its so loving cute) that she realised it was a great idea and has done it ever since.

Equally if I wave my hand just in front of her face she knows that means that I simply can't pay her attention right now and she will stop trying.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

some of you dont have rat bastards and it shows

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

My Bertha is definitely a rat baby. He's learned that the best way to get us out of bed to give him food is to start knocking stuff over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Gus is definitely a rat baby