Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

How was the Guardian in general against enemies that were weaker than L+4? I feel like most classes feel pretty bad against an enemy that strong, and L+4 fights are comparatively rare, so while this trip report is still valid (and you should still definitely send your feedback to Paizo), you might be getting a bit of a skewed perception of the class if you are judging primarily based on that encounter.

Yeah, L+4 fights are rare outside of the final fight of an AP, and are supposed to have a serious risk of a TPK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

VikingofRock posted:

How was the Guardian in general against enemies that were weaker than L+4? I feel like most classes feel pretty bad against an enemy that strong, and L+4 fights are comparatively rare, so while this trip report is still valid (and you should still definitely send your feedback to Paizo), you might be getting a bit of a skewed perception of the class if you are judging primarily based on that encounter.

It functioned ok during the on-level fight. Certainly much better. At that point the DR feels much more like it matters so Intercept Strike is more useful. Taunt is also much more functional, mostly because of encounter math. Also Raise Tower Shield + Armor Prof's high AC means that Hampering strikes becomes a big problem for your opponents as they are gonna have trouble connecting to get rid of you. However, the biggest problem I have is that 4e Defenders felt like guys who were out there contributing as active participants, and part of their kit was "Might be a good idea to target me, just sayin'" Whereas this guy feels much more passive, like a bodyguard who jumps in front of punches, or a tar pit. I'm sure some people are going to love that but I found it really yucky.

I had more here about how busted Hampering Strikes was and such but there's nothing else much to say. The class is just a big miss for me personally. Even in the on-level fights I was thinking about how a Fighter can do a lot of the same things, functionally, and actually has real offense.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i feel like that says as much about fighter simply being the strongest martial rather than guardian being the weakest, but both are simultaneously true

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mister Olympus posted:

i feel like that says as much about fighter simply being the strongest martial rather than guardian being the weakest, but both are simultaneously true

One of the reasons I tested a Level 7 Guardian was because of the non-martial weapon proficiency advancement, this was the "catch up" level, and - at least in my opinion - there's absolutely nothing this class can do that makes it "deserve" a -2 to hit on certain levels vs. standard martials. I just do not know what they were trying to do with this class.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Just got done with our most intense session of Stolen Fate yet and it wasn't because of any combats, we breezed through those, but because of an hour long philosophical debate between two characters (spoilers for the end of stolen fate)About the nature of free will and whether or not we should agree to help the Norns. Funnily enough what ultimately swayed the debate and made us oppose the Norns wasn't actually that we reached any kind of agreement, but simply the fact that they threatened to kill the 'traitor' PC who wouldn't agree to their plan and erase them from existence. At this point my character, who had basically been angling to work with the Norns out of nihilism, decided that actually if they were going to kill her friend she was going to stand with him, and if that was to be her Fate so be it. This completely turned the discussion around and we actually managed to convince the Norns to let us go and do our own thing.

I feel a little bad for the two guys who didn't participate much and clearly just hoped to move on though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sorry to chain post but in the interest of fairness: here's a guy who plays PF2e Champion who tried the Guardian and liked it (and thinks it's a better tank than the Champ!). A nice change of pace from the sourpuss grumblings of an old 4e-head like me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/1clrgc7/guardian_early_feedback_warning_very_long/

The interesting thing is I agree with almost everything he said, but the degree of severity is way off. For example, he mentions the Stride -> Taunt -> Raise Shield turn, and the fact that all but one party member has to play extremely tight to the Guardian for Intercept Strike to work, but didn't seem to hate that as much as I did. Man, I hated it!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sorry to chain post but in the interest of fairness: here's a guy who plays PF2e Champion who tried the Guardian and liked it (and thinks it's a better tank than the Champ!). A nice change of pace from the sourpuss grumblings of an old 4e-head like me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/1clrgc7/guardian_early_feedback_warning_very_long/

The interesting thing is I agree with almost everything he said, but the degree of severity is way off. For example, he mentions the Stride -> Taunt -> Raise Shield turn, and the fact that all but one party member has to play extremely tight to the Guardian for Intercept Strike to work, but didn't seem to hate that as much as I did. Man, I hated it!

yeah this was an interesting one to read, just because the arguments and conclusion don't seem to match up

personally if i was going to conclude my essay saying 'it's quite comparable to this other class, except the other class is also a full caster with spells' that would be the most dire indictment i could possibly levy rather than a mild criticism

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I haven't played the new Guardian yet, but from looking over it it definitely doesn't seem like it's as good as existing alternatives that do the same thing. Champions have the same armor proficiency and specialization in their kit, and a Champion with Retributive Strike grants the exact same DR as Intercept Strike at a more flexible range. The distinction of Intercept Strike diverting the damage to the Guardian doesn't mean a whole lot if the Guardian doesn't naturally have any self-healing or something to make their HP more economical than anyone else's even before Retributive Strike giving the champion a free non-MAP attack at the same time. Champion even has Lay on Hands for self-healing, so Guardian really ought to have some sort of innate temp HP generation. Unless I somehow missed it Guardian doesn't even seem to get Quick Shield Block, which seems like a massive oversight for the 'tanking' class.

Taunt is a neat ability, but it seems a little counter-intuitive. The bonus to attacks against you obviously relegates it to only be used against stuff unlikely to attack you (enemies that would have to move or disengage from your allies to attack you), but even without that bonus it would still be a wasted action against something focused on you so I don't know why they felt that was necessary. You can effectively get taunts for free with your Raise Shield actions via the class feat, but the effect is still gated by a Will save too.

As other people have mentioned Hampering Sweeps is basically broken, but it's just a 2nd-level feat so you could easily snag it with an archetype as early as 4th on any other class anyway. The class itself could use some improvements to its core features.

I've actually had a character idea for awhile that abused all the Hobgoblin 'taunt' feats and snagging Antagonize from Swashbuckler to force enemies to waste their actions attacking a character with a tower shield and Champion AC, and it's really disappointing that Guardian doesn't seem like a better fit for that than Champion is when that's clearly what it's going for.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 6, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vanguard Warden posted:

Champions have the same armor proficiency and specialization in their kit

Slight correction: Champs get their 2 of their armor proficiency advancements (Master and Legendary) a few levels later, and get Armor Specialization at Level 7 instead of Level 1, and as far as I know never get Greater Armor Specialization. Overall, at level 17 they're exactly the same as a Guardian except they don't have the Guardian's Greater Armor Specialization, which doubles their rune value for resistance granted by their armor specialization (an additional 3 points more resistance at level 18, lol).

"You are known for your suit of armor more than the person inside." That's the description for the Guardian's Mastery feat at level 19. The actual difference: A Guardian wearing plate at that level has 3 whole points of resistance to slashing damage over a Champion, who - by the way - is thought of as a person and not as an ambulatory suit of armor! Wow!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

To be fair, Guardian Mastery also giving them a fake Legendary reflex save by way of Super Mega Bulwark is neat.

Just, uh, shame about most of the rest of the class.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Reminds me of pacifist clerics in 4E, except the 4E pacifist cleric was actually good.

I think being a pacifist healer or a purely-defensive tank is dumb, but I understand that it appeals to some people. I don't think the game supports the playstyle, though, so you'd have to do a hell of a lot of work to design those characters to not end up a net negative for the party.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the funniest thing is guardian, either as a main class or a multiclass, is probably the key to making evil champion workable with their selfish reactions. and it's telling that the comparable effect on a guardian is one from a set of subclasses that's generally agreed to be very bad at their intended role

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Slight correction: Champs get their 2 of their armor proficiency advancements (Master and Legendary) a few levels later, and get Armor Specialization at Level 7 instead of Level 1, and as far as I know never get Greater Armor Specialization. Overall, at level 17 they're exactly the same as a Guardian except they don't have the Guardian's Greater Armor Specialization, which doubles their rune value for resistance granted by their armor specialization (an additional 3 points more resistance at level 18, lol).

Ah yes, all of the core classes follow only one or two progression templates for that stuff so I always miss it when they make minor tweaks like that. And yes, Champions don't get Greater Armor Specialization but it's not only a small and specific bonus but also doesn't stack with the resistance from Intercept Strike or Mitigate Harm anyway.

Mister Olympus posted:

the funniest thing is guardian, either as a main class or a multiclass, is probably the key to making evil champion workable with their selfish reactions. and it's telling that the comparable effect on a guardian is one from a set of subclasses that's generally agreed to be very bad at their intended role

Ooh, that is a fun idea. Dipping Tyrant or Antipaladin for the reaction would be a great way to punish anything that attacks you after the taunt, and with Quick Intercept at 8th you could even chain Intercept Strike directly into the Champion reaction to force-trigger it.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 7, 2024

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

atelier morgan posted:

yeah this was an interesting one to read, just because the arguments and conclusion don't seem to match up

personally if i was going to conclude my essay saying 'it's quite comparable to this other class, except the other class is also a full caster with spells' that would be the most dire indictment i could possibly levy rather than a mild criticism

If they said "hot take, Warpriest is the best at being a melee fighter in heavy armor", I'd agree with you. However, their argument was "hot take, Warpriest may be the best tank", and I think that may just be a big-brained hot take. After all, the crux of the entire conversation around Guardian is that tanking is about leaping into the middle of a fight and controlling the flow of combat and who attacks what and whether Guardian is actually good at that.

For Warpriest to be the best tank, their full spellcasting would have to handle the entire weight of letting you control opponents in a fight since you're otherwise completely reliant on grappling and tripping to do that and since grappling gets in the way of spells you can only do one or the other. (They don't even get attacks of opportunity.) Does the divine spell list have enough controlling tools to make that playstyle work? I haven't looked at the divine spell list in that light, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could. But can it do enough to actually fulfill the tank fantasy better than the Champion or the theoretical improved post-playtest Guardian? I doubt it, even if can take as many hits as them.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I think the idea is that Protection domain Clerics get a focus spell as a reaction to take some of the damage a target takes in their stead, and the Share Life divine spell just makes you take half of all damage a target suffers for 10 minutes. Less preventing enemies from attacking allies and more just redirecting the damage around artificially. Certainly not as satisfying as putting a monster in a headlock.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meanwhile I played a session with a lvl12 Commander and it was great fun. Class is great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It functioned ok during the on-level fight. Certainly much better. At that point the DR feels much more like it matters so Intercept Strike is more useful. Taunt is also much more functional, mostly because of encounter math. Also Raise Tower Shield + Armor Prof's high AC means that Hampering strikes becomes a big problem for your opponents as they are gonna have trouble connecting to get rid of you. However, the biggest problem I have is that 4e Defenders felt like guys who were out there contributing as active participants, and part of their kit was "Might be a good idea to target me, just sayin'" Whereas this guy feels much more passive, like a bodyguard who jumps in front of punches, or a tar pit. I'm sure some people are going to love that but I found it really yucky.

I had more here about how busted Hampering Strikes was and such but there's nothing else much to say. The class is just a big miss for me personally. Even in the on-level fights I was thinking about how a Fighter can do a lot of the same things, functionally, and actually has real offense.

My first thought when I read the class was that it has, like, no good enforcement mechanic.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Got my Howl of the Wild PDF. happy to answer questions. A few highlights:

Minotaurs rule, weremoose are a thing, there’s a bunch of new animal instinct barbarian animal options, including a Tyrannosaurus with a D8/DeadlyD12 bite and a seperate agile follow up, and, a Spider Instinct that gives a zero damage web shooter ranged attack. Yes, spider man is a barbarian.

Archetypes include a stance dancer claw attack build that cartwheels between attacking in a hand/claw attack and hand standing and attacking with talons on its feet, a wing-fighter archetype that includes support for spell casting and aerial bombardment alchemists, and a literal Blue Mage/Gau archetype.

Oh, and Merfolk have a 9th level feat that lets them ditch their tail and walk on legs whenever they want. This feat is at the same level as the Siren’s Song feat. So basically, they have to choose between legs and their voice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ooh my Howl of the Wild PDF is available for download, too! Time to get skimming!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Oh, and Merfolk have a 9th level feat that lets them ditch their tail and walk on legs whenever they want. This feat is at the same level as the Siren’s Song feat. So basically, they have to choose between legs and their voice.

Ursula strikes again :argh:

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Want to hear more about the blue mage archetype.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It looks pretty interesting, but I could see it being pretty dependent on the GM. They did the blue mage thing where you have to see the attack or identify the attack, so if the GM isn't paying attention you couldn't get the abilities. Although, the template would probably work with other monster abilities and a good GM could probably homebrew some stuff pretty easily to add more feats.

quote:

REND MIMICRY [one-action] FEAT 4
ARCHETYPE FLOURISH

Prerequisites Wild Mimic Dedication, you have seen a creature use Rend or have identified a creature that has Rend in combat

Requirements You have hit the same enemy with two consecutive melee Strikes that each dealt slashing damage. Taking advantage of the brutal efficiency of hacking away at a target with two slashing attacks, you’ve mastered the art
of punishing a foe caught between your slices. You deal 1d6 slashing damage to the target. This damage increases to 2d6 at 10th level and to 3d6 at 16th level

I missed this at first, but they also appear to have access to some older feats along with the new ones in the book.

quote:

Additional Feats: 4th Animal Empathy (Player Core 158), Crane Stance (Player Core 2), Gorilla Stance (Player Core 2), Tiger Stance (Player Core 2), Wolf Stance (Player Core 2); 8th Crane Flutter (Player Core 2), Gorilla Pound (Player Core 2), Tiger Slash (Player Core 2), Wolf Drag (Player Core 2).

Edit: Just a bit more information. They have feats for the monster abilities ferocity, rend, "electrogenesis" (enemy emits electricity when attacked), petrifying gaze, trample, roar and pounce.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 8, 2024

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Absalom canonically has unions, so I wrote up a post expanding on that and giving advice to GM's about incorporating labor organizations in their games. Mostly Absalom-focused, but has some ideas that work in other places/settings.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very excited for Howl of the Wild. Are the Witch patrons in there? I've been told there's one that is fungus themed.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

gurragadon posted:

It looks pretty interesting, but I could see it being pretty dependent on the GM. They did the blue mage thing where you have to see the attack or identify the attack, so if the GM isn't paying attention you couldn't get the abilities. Although, the template would probably work with other monster abilities and a good GM could probably homebrew some stuff pretty easily to add more feats.

I missed this at first, but they also appear to have access to some older feats along with the new ones in the book.

Edit: Just a bit more information. They have feats for the monster abilities ferocity, rend, "electrogenesis" (enemy emits electricity when attacked), petrifying gaze, trample, roar and pounce.

starts chanting diegetic diegetic diegetic diegetic

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hellioning posted:

I am very excited for Howl of the Wild. Are the Witch patrons in there? I've been told there's one that is fungus themed.

Three new witch patrons. The Devourer of Decay is about scavengers and rot - fungi are explicitly cited as an option, as are various other on theme creatures and types. Their Hex applies Frightened that can’t be reduced below 1, and you can end the frightened to heal an ally who lands a crit on the target, and your familiar can apply Sickened to wounded enemies when you hex/sustain. The focus spell inflicts a fungal disease that enfeebles and can slow as it progresses each round.

The Ripple in the Deep is your kraken/oceanic megafauna/Cthulhu patron; the hex conjures tentacles to wrap around your foes face impairing their vision or blinding them, and the familiar conjures waves that push enemies away. The higher level focus spell summons spectral sharks to do damage, and you get a free sustain if you deal slashing damage (because the sharks are attracted to the blood)

The Whisper of Wings is bird/insect themed. Hex spell lets you designate a target (you can be the target) and an enemy’s and if the enemy moves towards the target they have to make a will save or take damage for doing so. The familiar gets to fly. The focus spell lets your familiar grow big wings to give an ally cover as a reaction while they move.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Those are so much better than most existing Witch patrons after remaster lmao. Are they all Primal spell list patrons or are they Occult?

Also: does this include new lessons for the Witch feats, or is it just patrons?

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 8, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

Three new witch patrons. The Devourer of Decay is about scavengers and rot - fungi are explicitly cited as an option, as are various other on theme creatures and types. Their Hex applies Frightened that can’t be reduced below 1, and you can end the frightened to heal an ally who lands a crit on the target, and your familiar can apply Sickened to wounded enemies when you hex/sustain. The focus spell inflicts a fungal disease that enfeebles and can slow as it progresses each round.

The Ripple in the Deep is your kraken/oceanic megafauna/Cthulhu patron; the hex conjures tentacles to wrap around your foes face impairing their vision or blinding them, and the familiar conjures waves that push enemies away. The higher level focus spell summons spectral sharks to do damage, and you get a free sustain if you deal slashing damage (because the sharks are attracted to the blood)

The Whisper of Wings is bird/insect themed. Hex spell lets you designate a target (you can be the target) and an enemy’s and if the enemy moves towards the target they have to make a will save or take damage for doing so. The familiar gets to fly. The focus spell lets your familiar grow big wings to give an ally cover as a reaction while they move.

Excellent, I enjoy all of these! Thank you.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Those witch patrons sound great, might be tempted to play a caster again.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Those are so much better than most existing Witch patrons after remaster lmao. Are they all Primal spell list patrons or are they Occult?

Also: does this include new lessons for the Witch feats, or is it just patrons?

Each new patron has a new lesson (that’s the higher level focus spell I referred to) and all three are Primal.

There’s three other new feats for any witch. A level 2 that gives you a single action to make your familiar do damage to a swarm (that triggers swarm weaknesses), a reaction to a creature reaching 0 hit points that allows you to read a “fortune” of what damage type will be good; for the next round; all allies that do damage of that type are treated as hitting a weakness of your witches level. And a 6th level feat to buff witches armaments. They’re still garbage. But slightly more flavorful garbage?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chevy Slyme posted:

a reaction to a creature reaching 0 hit points that allows you to read a “fortune” of what damage type will be good; for the next round; all allies that do damage of that type are treated as hitting a weakness of your witches level

My Spinner witch is very interested in this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

kingcobweb posted:

Absalom canonically has unions, so I wrote up a post expanding on that and giving advice to GM's about incorporating labor organizations in their games. Mostly Absalom-focused, but has some ideas that work in other places/settings.

I'd buy a whole book just for this.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kyrosiris posted:

My Spinner witch is very interested in this.

PORTENTS OF THE HARUSPEX 2 REACTION
FEAT 4
CONCENTRATE
PREDICTION
WITCH
Trigger A creature within 30 feet is reduced to 0 Hit Points in
a way that doesn't destroy their body.
Although the divinations of a haruspex traditionally require organs and lengthy interpretation, you've learned how to glimpse the future in a more simple fashion by reading creatures' wounds. The glimpse of the future gives guidance on what tools are best to use next.
Roll 1d12 to determine the damage type favored by your prediction. The next time before the end of your next turn that you or your allies deals that damage type to an enemy, that enemy has weakness equal to your level against that damage.

[D12 table goes here; acid, bludgeoning, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Mental, Piercing, Poison, Slashing]

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Those witch patrons sound great, might be tempted to play a caster again.

Remaster Witch was already very good, but these patrons are nothing short of amazing. Especially because the only other primal patrons were on the weaker side in terms of utility (Silence in Snow was only really good for the 1-action cantrip).

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Chevy Slyme posted:

Roll 1d12 to determine the damage type favored by your prediction. The next time before the end of your next turn that you or your allies deals that damage type to an enemy, that enemy has weakness equal to your level against that damage.

Oh drat, that would be really good in a party with an alchemist since they can pull whatever damage type they want out of nowhere and bombs still damage via splash on a miss regardless. It's only a 4th-level class feat too, so you could pick it up through an archetype as early as 8th.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Remaster Witch was already very good, but these patrons are nothing short of amazing. Especially because the only other primal patrons were on the weaker side in terms of utility (Silence in Snow was only really good for the 1-action cantrip).

Devourer of Decay seems significantly better than the other two.

The winged one feels lackluster to me, but I suppose if you are straining your familiar ability budget to fit flying (and really leaning hard into active familiar play) you can make something interesting there.

Ripple is fine.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the_steve posted:

Ursula strikes again :argh:

I also forgot to mention, in this extremely Disney book, along with that, and the obvious Awakened Animal shenanigans… there is a new Zoophone muse for bards that is literally just “be a Disney Princess and sing to animals and make friends with all of the animals and have them defend you from harm.”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Chevy Slyme posted:

I also forgot to mention, in this extremely Disney book, along with that, and the obvious Awakened Animal shenanigans… there is a new Zoophone muse for bards that is literally just “be a Disney Princess and sing to animals and make friends with all of the animals and have them defend you from harm.”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

atelier morgan posted:

Right, but if he's saying that he's also saying the champion is quite comparable to the warpriest. If you take a warpriest and fill their spell slots with damage mitigation spells they can mitigate damage like a champion or guardian (until they run out of spell slots).

A warpriest who fills all available slots with Heal will be able to cast it 13 times at level 5. After that he loses his "damage mitigation" abilities. While Champions and Guardians have things that are once per round or once every 10 minutes all day long. So if you are at a table where the casters go nova with spells and then have a long rest after 2 fights the warpriest will be awesome, but if at your table the party can't afford to spend 20 of every 24 hours resting so you have to do many fights per day and casters are regularly tapped out then the martials will pull ahead of the warpriest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right, but if he's saying that he's also saying the champion is quite comparable to the warpriest. If you take a warpriest and fill their spell slots with damage mitigation spells they can mitigate damage like a champion or guardian (until they run out of spell slots).

A warpriest who fills all available slots with Heal will be able to cast it 13 times at level 5. After that he loses his "damage mitigation" abilities. While Champions and Guardians have things that are once per round or once every 10 minutes all day long. So if you are at a table where the casters go nova with spells and then have a long rest after 2 fights the warpriest will be awesome, but if at your table the party can't afford to spend 20 of every 24 hours resting so you have to do many fights per day and casters are regularly tapped out then the martials will pull ahead of the warpriest.

the conclusion of this is that a wood kineticist with guardian tree and healing fruits on tap is the best damage mitigator in pf2