Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Video about what some children who were infamously bullied online are doing now. I know Rebecca Black's doing decently with her music now, and I feel like the thing with Lil Tay might get worse, but mostly it's surprisingly pleasant to learn many of these kids are doing pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqRv6dsq3NY

My favorite part is seeing Kevin Tsimbidis, the boy with progeria, growing up into a healthy adult. But still pretty funny that he became a Funko Pop Youtuber though.

Maybe not as funny as seeing a young Czech boy singing a song calling various reaction YouTubers "r***ds".

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rebecca Black's music honestly kind of slaps. I have a few tracks from her latest LP on my running playlist, Misery Loves Company is a standout in particular. A quite unexpected turn of events from 2011.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

exquisite tea posted:

Milo mentions at one point that the process of debunking nonsensical conspiracy theories always takes a lot more time and effort than just spouting whatever random bullshit you found on the internet, therefore truth will always be at a disadvantage in our world of endless content creation.

Yep, tale as old as time. A lie can get around the world before truth can get its pants on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was nice to see Sammy classic sonic fan grow up, go to college, make friends ect

He was still weird but in a fun way. He stopped using social media though saying something about lovely people or something in that vein so that sucks. But I hope he’s doing alright!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord Stimperor posted:

The prequels were absolutely hated in the online discourse of the 2000s. Didn't stop them from being very successful and beloved by now.

I'm wondering whether that'll happen to the sequels. I liked the first two but Rise Of Skywalker is just so drat chaotic and as others have said, at times plain incoherent. It's legit hard to follow in my opinion because so many scenes felt distractingly nonsensical. I think you'd have to release a substantially different edit to make it work. (Luckily Star Wars already has a bunch of CGI actors so you can call them back to reshoot if you must)

The prequels had the advantage of having iterative tv shows, comics, and games massage it into a more stable and appealing state. The clone wars cartoons on their own did a lot to launder the prequels. Disney has just cut and run on the sequels, on top of alienating the actors for all the main characters. It’s frankly mind boggling how poorly managed their brand cultivation has been. They firmly embedded their Star Wars theme park lands in the sequel setting and then Episode 9 poisoned it for everyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I am highly dissatisfied with the background lore of this rollercoaster.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

exquisite tea posted:

There are many theme park rides that have a more coherent narrative and better character development than episode 9

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

exquisite tea posted:

There is some of that, but also like why would anyone be excited about first order troopers and Kylo Ren marching around the park and Rey hiding behind trash cans over meeting the classic stormtroopers or Darth Vader or Princess Leia hiding in a shed?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

I think Alton Towers gets that as legit feedback all the time lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Can’t wait for Some More News to have a moment with the rfk jr brain worms story.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

The prequels were absolutely hated in the online discourse of the 2000s. Didn't stop them from being very successful and beloved by now.

I'm wondering whether that'll happen to the sequels. I liked the first two but Rise Of Skywalker is just so drat chaotic and as others have said, at times plain incoherent. It's legit hard to follow in my opinion because so many scenes felt distractingly nonsensical. I think you'd have to release a substantially different edit to make it work. (Luckily Star Wars already has a bunch of CGI actors so you can call them back to reshoot if you must)

No way. The prequels, while very hated in the 2000s, also had their sincere fans and ended on a strong note. People hated Phantom, they hated Clones more, but Sith had a lot of people going "oh, ok, I don't know if its that bad all told." Yeah, NOOOOOOOOOOO was widely mocked, but overall people dug the movie. As was mentioned by Nuns with Guns too, there was lots of secondary stuff being made at the same time that grew and cemented the setting, characters, and themes. KOTOR, for example, came out 2 years before Sith; allowing teenage me to be able to tell my parents that the Jedi were supposed to be flawed and Anakin falling to the dark side was a critique of them. I didn't watch Clones, or read any books, or even watch any shows, but I DID play a VIDEOGAME and that made me able to lecture them on this fine and nuanced point of this blockbuster film that contains the name Darth Plageus the Wise.

Which brings up another point: Lucas' bad dialogue is, honestly, goddamn funny. The prequels have some of the most hilarious lines ever uttered, delivered with and utterly expected to have weight. It gives them a real lovable B-movie character, that when combined with the off-the-rails choices of names and locations and just... decisions, like having Obi-Wan talk to an alien in a 50's diner named Dexter Jetsster, makes them kinda hard to fully hate. How can you truly despise a movie where someone sells Death Sticks, the lead character says the phrase "I hate sand," and Saruman/Dracula fences with a lightsaber? There's an ironic culture that sprung up almost immediately around these movies because of how fuckin' funny their lines were. From "try spinning, that's a good trick" to "DEW IT" it's full of stuff that's just fun to say.

With Disney not having the chops to make the setting interesting or even being able to put 3 coherent movies together, the sequels can't have the sort of longevity or positive feelings around them that the prequels ended up getting. They're probably going to be remembered for the third one being so terrible it finally put out the culture war fires around the second one that had been pretty much the only discourse about star wars at the time.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the room has lots of funny dialogue too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people are going to love the sequels, a lot. in 20 years.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I do think there's a bit of a Morbius effect going on where people mistake memes as purely affectionate. The reason why the Prequel Trilogy is easy to meme is because they're very strange movies that everyone basically had to watch if you were a certain age range in the 2000s, so there's that collective knowledge. Everyone gets the reference.

Not that there aren't people who genuinely like them or that there isn't a real fanbase (Anakin Skywalker is an Internet Sexyman in 2024) but I wouldn't take shitposts as entirely accurate metrics.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 8, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nuns with Guns posted:

The prequels had the advantage of having iterative tv shows, comics, and games massage it into a more stable and appealing state. The clone wars cartoons on their own did a lot to launder the prequels. Disney has just cut and run on the sequels, on top of alienating the actors for all the main characters. It’s frankly mind boggling how poorly managed their brand cultivation has been. They firmly embedded their Star Wars theme park lands in the sequel setting and then Episode 9 poisoned it for everyone.

Yeah I feel like this effect really cannot be understated. If you were a kid in the naughts you weren't just watching the Prequel movies as they came out and then disengaging. You were playing Republic Commando and Battlefront and Star Wars Racer while also getting to watch Clone Wars or read all the Darth Maul comics. The result was that it all kinda blended together in a way where you only remembered the cool/good parts of the actual movies and filtered out all the rest, which combined with all the excellent secondary media rounded things up to "Star Wars good, Prequels good" at least in my head for a long time. The ST meanwhile got basically gently caress all tie-in games, no tie-in live actions even as Disney is vomiting shows out left and right, and like one tie-in cartoon that was aimed at preschoolers. Just absolutely dogshit franchise management. You can't even say it was the result of Disney getting spooked by the fan reaction to the ST because when it initially dropped the reaction to TFA was insanely positive, and that would have been the perfect time to go make Rey's lightsaber adventures or X-Wing: Poe or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mycot posted:

I do think there's a bit of a Morbius effect going on where people mistake memes as purely affectionate. The reason why the Prequel Trilogy is easy to meme is because they're very strange movies that everyone basically had to watch if you were a certain age range in the 2000s, so there's that collective knowledge. Everyone gets the reference.

Not that there aren't people who genuinely like them or that there isn't a real fanbase (Anakin Skywalker is an Internet Sexyman in 2024) but I wouldn't take shitposts as entirely accurate metrics.

J.J. McCullough once referred to these as "irony cults," commonly recognized cultural touchstones that kind of occupy the grey space between genuine appreciation and outright mockery. See: Lasagna Cat, Shrek memes, etc.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was very funny when sony released mobius a second time to try and get the irony watches and it flopped ever harder lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

"They fly now," I say to uproarious laughter.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was very funny when sony released mobius a second time to try and get the irony watches and it flopped ever harder lol

yes lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sydin posted:

Yeah I feel like this effect really cannot be understated. If you were a kid in the naughts you weren't just watching the Prequel movies as they came out and then disengaging. You were playing Republic Commando and Battlefront and Star Wars Racer while also getting to watch Clone Wars or read all the Darth Maul comics. The result was that it all kinda blended together in a way where you only remembered the cool/good parts of the actual movies and filtered out all the rest, which combined with all the excellent secondary media rounded things up to "Star Wars good, Prequels good" at least in my head for a long time. The ST meanwhile got basically gently caress all tie-in games, no tie-in live actions even as Disney is vomiting shows out left and right, and like one tie-in cartoon that was aimed at preschoolers. Just absolutely dogshit franchise management. You can't even say it was the result of Disney getting spooked by the fan reaction to the ST because when it initially dropped the reaction to TFA was insanely positive, and that would have been the perfect time to go make Rey's lightsaber adventures or X-Wing: Poe or whatever.
I liked Grievous entirely because of the tie-in Genndy cartoon and lore comics and I was not alone in this! This approach was honestly detrimental to the movies as stand alone stories but it was undeniably successful at making people very attached to the characters and setting.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sony making movies out of the lamest and most obscure spider man characters + venom ftw lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sony making movies out of the lamest and most obscure spider man characters + venom ftw lol

Kraven is still coming out :shepface:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they're going to make kraven's last hunt but there wont be a spider man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alaois posted:

They absolutely aren't I would bet money on it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the prequels as bad and weird as they are have a story with payoff the sequel trilogies are a mess of different ideas and directors and executives meddling with the product that they are confusing at best and horrible at worst i dont think anyone will have as much nostalgia for them as they have the prequels and their unlimited meme potential

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mycot posted:

I liked Grievous entirely because of the tie-in Genndy cartoon and lore comics and I was not alone in this!

:same: The Genndy version of Grievous as a straight up slasher movie monster who 1v10's a group of Jedi including one of the masters on the council was impressionable enough that the actual movie version of him just kinda slid off my smooth young mind and I thought he was cool as hell and always wanted to roll him in Battlefront 2.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Comics must have seemed like an infinitely deep well of content back at the start of the modern superhero movies craze but they've become so voracious about making GBS threads as many out as possible that they're somehow actually starting to see the bottom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the prequels as bad and weird as they are have a story with payoff the sequel trilogies are a mess of different ideas and directors and executives meddling with the product that they are confusing at best and horrible at worst i dont think anyone will have as much nostalgia for them as they have the prequels and their unlimited meme potential
Also people at least remember the broad plot beats of the sequels. Like episode 3. Fine addition to my collection, this is outrageous this is unfair, Droid attack on the wookies, darth plagues the wise, I'm preggers, dew it, order 66, anakin killed younglings, I have the high ground, noooooo.

Like yeah half of that is meme lines and the obiwan grievous misadventure is entirely filler just so obiwan isn't around for dew it but there's a coherent cause and effect. Rise of Skywalker is just things happening, you could rearrange half the scenes to no measurable effect.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol snoke

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i had to look up who snoke was becuase i forgot his name

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also episode 3 has the best bit of character building in any star wars media where when you see anakins bedroom he has a pod racing poster on his wall. This dude 100% still watches the races every week with the volume on low so Yoda doesn't yell at him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
anakin rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anakin posts on space reddit about how sebulba is a washed up rear end in a top hat

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
that time george lucas said he could make anything he wanted canon and to prove it he named a planet after john stewart and said thats where Obi Wan was born and within minutes wookipedia made an article for it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Snoke was a very funny bit. Look, he's like the emperor! Oh, he's just some guy in a gold robe that gets unceremoniously merked. No wait, he was a cloned.... guy... that Palpatine made? For some reason?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Snoke not being a giant like the hologram in the first movie implied is the biggest whiff in the entire series. He's an alien, you can do whatever you want, why the hell not make him a giant

I guarantee you no one would be going "who was snoke" if he was a giant. People who didn't even watch the movie would be saying "oh yeah that's the giant guy right?"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there was so little plot actually in skywalker they had to explain it on twitter

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there was so little plot actually in skywalker they had to explain it on twitter

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409?t=wfV2vJgJR6l_gECbNKajQQ&s=19

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuns with Guns posted:

Honestly, the thing I could potentially see happening with the ST is it gaining a cult following 10-20 years down the line on the angle of squandered potential. Like, fans online who grew up with it talking about how the stuff that was set up in TFA or TLJ that they found interesting and ways those elements could have been better paid off in a third film that wasn't ROS. Basically I can see a fix fic community eventually cropping up around these films and the fact that this entire era of the franchise got unceremoniously abandoned by Disney might even make it more appealing for dedicated fans to latch onto.

Sydin posted:

Comics must have seemed like an infinitely deep well of content back at the start of the modern superhero movies craze but they've become so voracious about making GBS threads as many out as possible that they're somehow actually starting to see the bottom.

A lot of this is just media companies playing the speculation game with IP rights. I don't think the executives at Sony legitimately think that any of these "Spider-Man rogues gallery movies without Spider-Man in them" titles are going to be successes, the important thing is that it allows them to maintain the movie rights to those Spider-Man characters, which means if Disney wants to use them in their own Spider-Man films they'll have to work out a deal with Sony. It's pretty much the same thing that's been going on with the film rights to the Fantastic Four for the past 40ish years.

It's actually really interesting how the success of the MCU kind of changed who the big headliners for Marvel comics are: While characters like Iron Man, Captain America and Thor had always been important figures in the comics, back in the 80s-early 2000s they were much more secondary in popularity to the likes of Spider-Man and the X-Men. But because those two IPs were Marvel's most popular, they were the first ones they sold the movie rights to before they found success with their own studio.

The Fantastic Four is another interesting case study, because they're absolutely foundational to the universe of the comics, with pretty much every part of the Marvel Universe being tied back to them somehow, but because Marvel sold off their film rights decades ago and never got them back they ended up having to construct the MCU entirely without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

also somehow palpatine returned. for more on this story, please play fortnite