Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Is the, "in a meeting" thing related to an actual thing? Is that why this thing was brought out, or is that just... made up narrative to support a random post?

I'm genuinely curious if this was produced because it was needed or if someone just wanted to show it :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

credburn posted:

Is the, "in a meeting" thing related to an actual thing? Is that why this thing was brought out, or is that just... made up narrative to support a random post?

I'm genuinely curious if this was produced because it was needed or if someone just wanted to show it :confused:

https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/faculty/mark-s-marley

hm yes, is there a reason why the director of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona would be in a meeting where someone says 'we need a visualization of something going on in space'.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was hoping that when they turned it that it made a jack-in-the-box sound.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ishikabibble posted:

https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/faculty/mark-s-marley

hm yes, is there a reason why the director of the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona would be in a meeting where someone says 'we need a visualization of something going on in space'.

Interesting, I've worked with a couple of folks on that faculty list before during my grad work.
Mike Nolan is one cranky reviewer JFC

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just learned about that time when a Czechoslovak agricultural cooperative produced... computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBmcNC6WDY
(copies of western 8-bit micros but still)

It also produced this amazing ad:

for a system that I think was 8088-based, unlike the Z80 systems shown in the video.

(originally learned by watching this)

Trabant has a new favorite as of 03:19 on May 9, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trabant posted:

Just learned about that time when a Czechoslovak agricultural cooperative produced... computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBmcNC6WDY
(copies of western 8-bit micros but still)

It also produced this amazing ad:

for a system that I think was 8088-based, unlike the Z80 systems shown in the video.

More like 8008-based

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabant posted:

I wonder what that cost at the time, in local currency.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tunicate posted:

More like 8008-based

yes i am interested to know more about the benefits of your slušovice

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://x.com/Historian_Steve/status/1788607987453751507

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You know, it's... actually surprisingly legible in both orientations. I mean, I can't read the handwriting, but I can actually see the individual words when I turn it sideways.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

quote:

suddenly i have the perfect gift idea for the next baby shower i'm forced to attend, i'll insist it has deep personal meaning to me so they're forced to keep a framed AOL 30-day trial CD hanging above their fireplace

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if I still have that Win ME copy I never installed once...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gravid Topiary posted:

suddenly i have the perfect gift idea for the next baby shower i'm forced to attend, i'll insist it has deep personal meaning to me so they're forced to keep a framed AOL 30-day trial CD hanging above their fireplace

man that'll really show those breeders

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

By popular demand posted:

I wonder if I still have that Win ME copy I never installed once...

If you tried that with a floppy edition of Windows 98, would you just be tiling the wall at that point?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Randalor posted:

If you tried that with a floppy edition of Windows 98, would you just be tiling the wall at that point?

I installed Slackware from floppy once but I only had like 3 disks so I had to keep shuttling back and forth, writing a little bit at a time. I'm pretty sure it was something like 20+ floppies at the time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Windows 95 was 13 floppies, I think
Win 98 had 39 lol

Yes, I've installed those from floppies

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I should get a framed copy of Novell Netware 6 to hang on my wall to remind me how I wasted my time and money on a CNA certification.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think Windows 95 was the last OS I installed from floppies. I didn't even know you could get 98 on floppies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Unperson_47 posted:

I should get a framed copy of Novell Netware 6 to hang on my wall to remind me how I wasted my time and money on a CNA certification.

Next time I'm home, maybe I'll dig around for my first Linux CD, a stripped-down Redhat 6.something that came in the back of a giant book. Half the stuff mentioned in the book wasn't actually on the CD, because by that time a normal distribution came on several discs, but it was still gold for a kid on lovely dialup.

Like a year later I saw FreeBSD discs for sale in a Gateway store (lol) and now I reflect how I would have been a different sort of sad nerd if I'd bought those first instead.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Next time I'm home, maybe I'll dig around for my first Linux CD, a stripped-down Redhat 6.something that came in the back of a giant book. Half the stuff mentioned in the book wasn't actually on the CD, because by that time a normal distribution came on several discs, but it was still gold for a kid on lovely dialup.

Like a year later I saw FreeBSD discs for sale in a Gateway store (lol) and now I reflect how I would have been a different sort of sad nerd if I'd bought those first instead.

Linux Mandrake 7.2 was my first ever Linux distro. I still fondly remember picking up the box from Walmart of all places, opening it up and reading the manual excitedly front to back, and then never being able to install it for whatever reason I've forgotten back in the day. Another one I would actually like to get a boxed copy of but they are stupidly expensive for some reason??

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I've still got a boxed copy of SuSE Linux 6.2 (I think) in the garage from back in the day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Unperson_47 posted:

Linux Mandrake 7.2 was my first ever Linux distro. I still fondly remember picking up the box from Walmart of all places, opening it up and reading the manual excitedly front to back, and then never being able to install it for whatever reason I've forgotten back in the day. Another one I would actually like to get a boxed copy of but they are stupidly expensive for some reason??

Same but I bought it at Hastings when they were still around. I did not use it for long

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I bought a boxed copy of Red Hat when it came out and managed to get it dual booting but never quite working properly. It came with a card you could send in to get a free actual red hat sent to you. They never sent mine.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
People charge big money today for red hats

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I've encountered this. Even better, it was a copy of the letter on microfilm so there was no way to squint at the original pages which can be slightly more legible. I'm still angry at the dude who sent that letter to Winston Churchill in 1912.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
At least use two different colors of ink.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

deoju posted:

At least use two different colors of ink.
Red and Green ink, on it

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I would not be entirely surprised if someone came out with a set of colored ink and matching glasses, but I'm not sure if there was any overlap in time between letters being that expensive and colored inks and glass being good and cheap.

And of course green glasses would emphasise red ink, and the other way around; the only way to get many layers onto a page would be what, fluorescent ink and narrow filters, a la immunofluorescence microscopy?

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 11:29 on May 13, 2024

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Dolby 3D projection, used in a lot of theaters and in Disney parks, uses either banded gel filters or lasers to hit two different R, G, and B primaries, which are then filtered by glasses so the left and right eyes get different images.

So with light you can indeed get 6 unique images depending on filters at a reasonable cost as of something like 20-30 years ago. Reflected light from a page is more interesting, a known light source (even the lovely yellow tungsten cinema lamps) should make it doable.

Or just write in pee and warm up the paper to see the second layer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So they should have written the letter with lasers?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

man that'll really show those breeders
i wouldn't actually ofc

instead i would give them a lovingly framed CD-R of the Windows XP Installation disc with "FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8" written on it in black sharpie :nyoron:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gravid Topiary posted:

i wouldn't actually ofc

instead i would give them a lovingly framed CD-R of the Windows XP Installation disc with "FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8" written on it in black sharpie :nyoron:

I would treasure this actually

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gravid Topiary posted:

i wouldn't actually ofc

I still have one in a 224 disc binder somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hold on, let me dig out my official Star Wars: Episode I CD folder that I still have for some drat reason. It's somewhere in the back of a closet with my official Darth Maul bath towel.