Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

Magneto's VA really needed to be given new direction for this episode. He just sounds the same as he always has when the intent is that he's blind with rage. But that doesn't come across from his voicework, he just sounds like he always has which is stern but reasonable. There's also the fact that, while we were shown the Genosha genocide in horrific detail, we really didn't see the aftermath of what Magneto did. As such our sympathies lie entirely with him.

All this plus the inevitable meme of the "shut up" line to Xavier makes it feel like the show favors him far more than Charles, whether intentionally or not.

Magneto is a charismatic leader. People follow him even when he's being a temperamental murder machine or a hypocrite because he look and talk good. Like one of them guys the Dune author was trying to warn people off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

thebardyspoon posted:

I must admit I am a bit disappointed in some ways while still greatly enjoying what they have done.(spoilers for this episode and the last few I suppose) . Feels like they've kinda walked the initial premise of the first few episodes all the way back and now it's fully about Magneto and the X-Men fighting again.

I think it's fine that we're getting a real Magneto villain story for once because the original show was constantly reluctant to do so.

- We get an actual X-Men vs. Magneto conflict in his first major appearance.

- Kidnaps Senator Kelly, which is immediately overshadowed by the Sentinels kicking his rear end so badly that he has to team up with the X-Men against Master Mold.

- Spends the entire second season with Xavier, surviving the Savage Land and working against Sinister.

- Creates Asteroid M, but comes off as pretty chill and benevolent about it. The real villain is Cortez, who betrays him.

- Some bullshit with High Evolutionary that I barely remember.

- Is part of Apocalypse's big villain team-up, but is really there as a mole to help the X-Men.

- Is so bummed about the Asteroid M failure that he's just too depressed to care about the Phalanx, but then he hears Quicksilver's in trouble, so he helps out.

- Is preparing for his big mutant uprising, but shelves it because Xavier needs him.

Having him lead the team felt more natural than the new show tried to suggest, but they definitely put him in a situation that makes him believably revert to how he was in the initial episodes of the original show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NikkolasKing posted:

It would be nice if Wolverine could actually do something in this series so these are nice ideas.

Lots of folks predict Magneto will rip out his adamantium skeleton because this is the first X-adaptation which could actually get away with that. That's what your suggestion of him working with Magneto made me think of.

Spoiler texting this from weeks ago, because good job.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Great episode I can't wait for the finale

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gavok posted:

I think it's fine that we're getting a real Magneto villain story for once because the original show was constantly reluctant to do so.

Having him lead the team felt more natural than the new show tried to suggest, but they definitely put him in a situation that makes him believably revert to how he was in the initial episodes of the original show.

Yeah I suppose I'm comparing it mentally to a lot of the other adaptations which felt like they featured Magneto vs the X-Men but those are now several decades old minimum so I suppose it could be seen as kind of a refreshing thing to just have a pretty classic matchup that we don't see too often these days because most modern stuff is doing something alternate to that.

Viewed through that lens though, I almost wish we'd seen the full X-Men lineup fighting him rather than splitting up. Give us that visual splendor in a big fight scene they'd never have been able to do in live action.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

thrawn527 posted:

Spoiler texting this from weeks ago, because good job.

Setting it up with Logan gutting Magneto through the chest was super satisfying as well, after 30 years of 'cartoon Wolverine can only use his claws on robots and to threaten people.'

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
"make them mind your weather, sister"
"and you, make them weather your mind"

SO GOOD

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

I knew as soon as I heard Wolverine do 'Previously on X-Men" that the canucklehead was doomed.

Sunspot's defection was very justified but then they didn't really pull the trigger on it. His and Jubilee's "battle" is a total slapfight but with superpowers all while a serious life or death struggle is going on all around them. I didn't like that part.

The mystery now is how will they fix things with Magneto dead? Will Rogue turn back to the good guy side and take his powers? Can Jean become Phoenix and fix everything? Will Polaris show up? I got no idea.

Magneto is not dead yet

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wolverine needs to learn to twist his arm after he stabs someone.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Magneto uses the power of magnetism to keep the blood from spilling out of his body and keep his heart beating and

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rubber Chicken posted:

Magneto uses the power of magnetism to keep the blood from spilling out of his body and keep his heart beating and

He takes a lot of iron supplements.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I maybe don't really get what Magneto did

If it was a fuckoff global EMP as it appeared, it's not like he could just "reverse" it, that's not how anything works

If he's actively suppressing something specific about the electromagnetic spectrum on a global scale then 1. Hot drat. and 2. Incapacitating him should reverse it and they don't need him to actively DO anything

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rubber Chicken posted:

I maybe don't really get what Magneto did

If it was a fuckoff global EMP as it appeared, it's not like he could just "reverse" it, that's not how anything works

If he's actively suppressing something specific about the electromagnetic spectrum on a global scale then 1. Hot drat. and 2. Incapacitating him should reverse it and they don't need him to actively DO anything

I think that's what they were implying, that he was actively keeping the EMP going over and over again, or something like that, and the ramifications on the planet were about to be catastrophic. That's the only reason I could think that they'd have that ticking clock, "Twelve hours until the world ends," or however they put it.

Charles wanted to just talk him out of it because he still had faith in him, but then took his brain over when that failed. But then that didn't work, so Wolverine took it to the next level.

Ultimately, sure, just incapacitate him, but that's clearly not easy.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 8, 2024

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Holy poo poo, that was as traumatic at 40 as it was when I was 10 and reading it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The last episode, and "Previously On," ended with "Magneto is right" and now we're supposed to be on Xavier's side while he mind rapes Magneto so mutants can try to live together with people who hate mutants so much that they inadvertently let themselves get turned into Sentinels? Am I missing something?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

live with fruit posted:

The last episode, and "Previously On," ended with "Magneto is right" and now we're supposed to be on Xavier's side while he mind rapes Magneto so mutants can try to live together with people who hate mutants so much that they inadvertently let themselves get turned into Sentinels? Am I missing something?

Well he's also going to kill every man, woman and child on earth right? He brings up Leech dying in front of his eyes, how many completely innocent kids are gonna die on earth with his plan coming to fruition? It's a very silly comic book ticking clock tbh, even the mutants on earth will presumably largely die if it's as dire as the show is making out. They didn't show him bringing any mutants onto the asteroid in the 10 or so hours he's had so it's not some survival ark.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

live with fruit posted:

It's a work of fiction that you can put work into interpreting yourself! I don't think you're "supposed" to be cheering as that thing happens, and you can also decide what "Magneto was right" means, and if you agree with it, and what the implications of Magneto being right would be on the ethical thing to do going forward.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Well he's also going to kill every man, woman and child on earth right? He brings up Leech dying in front of his eyes, how many completely innocent kids are gonna die on earth with his plan coming to fruition? It's a very silly comic book ticking clock tbh, even the mutants on earth will presumably largely die if it's as dire as the show is making out. They didn't show him bringing any mutants onto the asteroid in the 10 or so hours he's had so it's not some survival ark.

So just the classic Marvel thing of letting the villain make a bunch of salient points but ultimately push it too far so that the boat doesn't get too rocked.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

“Morph Smash!” was a fun moment

I’m just wondering how they end up resolving all of this in one episode

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think everything resolves, the initial order was two seasons. I'm expecting Bastion to get beaten and Apocalypse to show up and go "HA HA look at all these dead mutants I've collected and made into my new Horsemen!" And then Gambit, Jean, possibly Magneto and Wolverine if they end up succumbing to their very serious injuries come in behind him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah Apocalypse showing up makes sense

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I think that's what they were implying, that he was actively keeping the EMP going over and over again, or something like that, and the ramifications on the planet were about to be catastrophic. That's the only reason I could think that they'd have that ticking clock, "Twelve hours until the world ends," or however they put it.

No, they needed him alive to undo whatever magnet shenanigans he did. That's why they can't just incapacitate or kill him.

"We need to find Magneto and convince him to reverse the damage to earth before it becomes permanent."

No, it doesn't make any sense. No, I don't care.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
He altered the quantum electropolarity of the magnetosphere by aligning the lodestone deposits below the poles focused through the Savage Land

Obviously

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No, they needed him alive to undo whatever magnet shenanigans he did. That's why they can't just incapacitate or kill him.

"We need to find Magneto and convince him to reverse the damage to earth before it becomes permanent."

No, it doesn't make any sense. No, I don't care.

Oh, then I've got nothing. And I also don't care.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
They didn't really explain at all what Magneto did, and maybe it's better they just handwave it away. It sounds like not only did a massive global EMP but he also turned off the earth's magnetic field, which would be catastrophic for living things as coronal ejections from the Sun would ruin a lot of peoples' days. The whole "in 12 hours it won't matter" bit threw me off because what the hell is happening in 12 hours? It's all unclear.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Storm literally says she can feel the Earth's Magnetic Field fading away and that it would be gone by that night. So yes, he's hosed the planet up pretty badly.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

This is why I've never liked the X-Men as a metaphor for oppressed minorities. When one of them can literally end all life on earth because he feels like it, and they go around referring to themselves as something other than human fear of mutants seems pretty drat justified.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

X-O posted:

Storm literally says she can feel the Earth's Magnetic Field fading away and that it would be gone by that night. So yes, he's hosed the planet up pretty badly.

Oh, I definitely missed this. I should stop watching it so early in the morning when I'm still tired. But...yeah, I'm not gonna stop doing that.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!
Yeah, the time limit and how they suddenly knew about it was weird and disappointing. I half expected a giant sky beam to appear at that point.

Pretty solid episode otherwise though.

X-O posted:

Ah, nevermind.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 8, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gangringo posted:

This is why I've never liked the X-Men as a metaphor for oppressed minorities. When one of them can literally end all life on earth because he feels like it, and they go around referring to themselves as something other than human fear of mutants seems pretty drat justified.

There's that one storyline in Ultimate X-Men that really stands out along those lines. There's a kid who's power is literally he kills everyone within like a 10 mile radius or something. No lasers, no fights. Just a kid wakes up one day, his power activates, and everyone just drops dead. So obviously Logan is the only person that can handle this, being pretty much unkillable, and he goes into town. Talks to the kid and lets him know that he just can't live any longer as he's too dangerous. He gives the kid a beer and the kid doesn't even want it, he just wants to get it over with. And that's that. Sad story. One of the only memorable things from the Ultimate X-Men book.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rubber Chicken posted:

It's happened in the comics!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't think everything resolves, the initial order was two seasons. I'm expecting Bastion to get beaten and Apocalypse to show up and go "HA HA look at all these dead mutants I've collected and made into my new Horsemen!" And then Gambit, Jean, possibly Magneto and Wolverine if they end up succumbing to their very serious injuries come in behind him.

I've seen a few people suggest Onslaught is coming.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also possible. I just think Apoc because he's been in the opening credits for the past few episodes and we haven't seen anything from him. There's a lot of other stuff you could have had Cable do instead of fight him.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Judge Tesla posted:

I've seen a few people suggest Onslaught is coming.

Everything has pretty much lined up well to his emergence in the comics, especially after this episode. Xavier got Magneto's helmet crushed onto him, I mean it's right there.

Which would be wild, if Marvel uses that plot to re-launch Avengers and FF cartoons in a Heroes Reborn end to the arc. Of course, maybe they would retcon it and say those other 90s Marvel cartoons are a result of that arc. Would take care of the continuity issues between those other series and X-Men.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I like how every single person has an active reason to tell Charles he's a loving blind idiot and Magneto says the one thing I wanted to always say: "Shut up."

Wolverine:

We get my man's beautiful brown and yellow suit and I have to relive one of the most loving traumatic things in comics along with it. drat.

I think we can all agree though, Fatal Attractions kicked so much loving rear end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fatal Attraction? Did the Prof do the leg cross?

e: I'm thinking of basic instinct aren't I

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Azhais posted:

Fatal Attraction? Did the Prof do the leg cross?

e: I'm thinking of basic instinct aren't I

I mean....he could have done it during that storyline cause he used his brain powers to lift his legs like he was walking for some dumb reason.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Defiance Industries posted:

Wolverine needs to learn to twist his arm after he stabs someone.

It's his Thor/Thanos moment, which is kind of funny, since he had a similar kind of moment against Thanos in the original Infinity War comic.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish X-Men '97 would end a season with Legion Quest and have the following season be set in Age of Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Diabetic posted:

I like how every single person has an active reason to tell Charles he's a loving blind idiot and Magneto says the one thing I wanted to always say: "Shut up."

The Dark Phoenix movie has so many problems, but it does have the Magneto banger, "You're always sorry, Charles. And there's always a speech. But nobody cares anymore."