Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

selec posted:

no that would suck lol. whereas I can see a business like that existing in the very near future. like an escape room but for escaping everything outside the room to retreat to a safe, comforting place that is also an extremely niche thing. I dunno, I think I thought of it after seeing a cat cafe for the first time.

there was a bunch of startups trying stuff like this in LA in 2019 but then something happened that made sharing a vr headset with a stranger an extremely bad idea, then the vc money ran out when everyone realized vr wasnt going to catch on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

selec posted:

no that would suck lol. whereas I can see a business like that existing in the very near future. like an escape room but for escaping everything outside the room to retreat to a safe, comforting place that is also an extremely niche thing. I dunno, I think I thought of it after seeing a cat cafe for the first time.

a shared scape room for escaping everything outside the room is a shooting gallery

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it would be a safe room or a panic room, if you are keeping something outside of it rather than trying to escape

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

The wrestling mod must be destroyed.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it would be a safe room or a panic room, if you are keeping something outside of it rather than trying to escape

Yeah, it’s this, rented in 30 minute increments. this might be an angle to pursue; safe rooms as psychological objects. maybe the desk clerk somehow becomes entangled with a regular who designs safe room packages you can buy at Costco.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I really like the idea. It reminds me of the idea of VR zoos, which serve a sad strange purpose, to assuage us with a false image of a real thing lost

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I really like the idea. It reminds me of the idea of VR zoos, which serve a sad strange purpose, to assuage us with a false image of a real thing lost

I read an interview with Dan Chaon about his writing process and he talked about how for a lot of his books he prepared by just cataloging really strange or wondrous images; a lighthouse by a completely dry lake for instance, and then make stories that led to those reveals in a way that earned them. it was a pretty striking counterintuitive approach to narrative.

I also would HIGHLY recommend his latest novel SLEEPWALK to anyone reading CSPAM. a really great piece of work you can clearly place in a post-Epstein milieu. really great poo poo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

selec posted:

I read an interview with Dan Chaon about his writing process and he talked about how for a lot of his books he prepared by just cataloging really strange or wondrous images; a lighthouse by a completely dry lake for instance, and then make stories that led to those reveals in a way that earned them. it was a pretty striking counterintuitive approach to narrative.

I also would HIGHLY recommend his latest novel SLEEPWALK to anyone reading CSPAM. a really great piece of work you can clearly place in a post-Epstein milieu. really great poo poo.

i wanna get back into reading and none of my regulars are doing it for me right now so i'll try it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Read this: 🖕

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

selec posted:

Yeah, the MOCA or one of the museums in LA had an exhibit like this: a room where it is raining inside. It's p cool and surreal.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Son of Sorrow posted:

The wrestling mod must be destroyed.

yup. have a nice week hoot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol RIP hoot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stupid rear end bitch

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i am reading through Lucifer which is a Comic Book and not a Real Book

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Al! posted:

good book imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the lucifer tv show is hilarious because they threw everything out to make it a cop procedural

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

it will never not be funny to me that Hoot posting like a normal person and talking about his interests drives so many goons loving insane

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

it would 100% fit into snow crash. Socal? Check. vr experiences? Check. Weird capitalism ventures? Check

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

don't think i've finished it but it's pretty good. im reading gravity's rainbow for the first time, the superlatives are well-deserved

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

love watching videos of emus getting surprised and jumping all dramatic

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

titty_baby_ posted:

love watching videos of emus getting surprised and jumping all dramatic

Big dumb birds ftw

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ty for tje book rec tho, got a library card recently but haven't checked anything out yet

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Also, taking a dump and I swear I felt an earthquake. such is life by the Mendocino triple junction.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it will never not be funny to me that Hoot posting like a normal person and talking about his interests drives so many goons loving insane

people forget that in the old, pre-BW games thread he would post about fortnite exactly how he does now, just describing what updates are coming out or what the current rumors are, and people would DEMAND he be banned for it lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

people forget that in the old, pre-BW games thread he would post about fortnite exactly how he does now, just describing what updates are coming out or what the current rumors are, and people would DEMAND he be banned for it lol

he does need to be banned

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he does need to be banned

who doesn't

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its funny because jim cornette is a racist but in that one specific instance he was not being racist

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drat Steve Albini died. RIP to a real rear end dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXV6EmSBULY

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

post hole digger posted:

rip in peace

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

post hole digger posted:

There's an impromptu tribute set playing on WFMU right now. Rip.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Free hoot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he hosed around and found out

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

post hole digger posted: