Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

theironjef posted:

I read all of it until ... I think it was Claremont taking over and suddenly it was all about his favorite X-Men all the time? Whoever it was the took a hard turn into making it boring.

Granted Morph was dead at that point (spoilers for what I think it at least a 25 year old story), so if he was cripplingly mentally unstable, I have blanked on it.

I was thinking of the time they put Proteus in Morph and hypnotize him into being Morph.

The series definitely has a hard turning point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

theironjef posted:

I read all of it until ... I think it was Claremont taking over and suddenly it was all about his favorite X-Men all the time? Whoever it was the took a hard turn into making it boring.

i just had to laugh when the first thing that happened was that he reoriented the book around kitty

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

theironjef posted:

He seems to be at least somewhat inspired by the eXiles version of Morph given the new face. That version was basically heroic Clayface. Can Clayface run faster than normal people? I feel like that's a likely yes, just does weird stuff with the muscles he makes out of his goo for his legs. Maybe not Quicksilver fast for real but like that's academic when you're not a speedster and a dude is coming at you crazy fast enough.

Granted in the eXiles Morph can fly with no explanation... Didn't do too much mimicking of other heroes because Mimic was also in the team for a large portion of the comic and he just gets powers (at half strength)

Also found a reddit post with a creepy amount of examples.
https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/blltdr/respect_morph_marvel_1081/

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've read elsewhere that Morph can use powers that are "physical" i.e. he can get super strong by getting super big and he can fly by growing wings and become durable by turning into an approximation of metal, but he probably can't move stuff with his mind or shoot concussive beams out of his eyes or whatever, and I don't think any of the examples we've seen so far defies that

That's something I always felt's been kind of underutilized with X-Men. I know that it ultimately doesn't matter in the Grant Morrison quote sense of the word, but having mutant powers with specific rules and limitations would probably make fights more interesting than they are.

plus, that makes it more cool when you inevitably break that rule on a special occasion, like how Storm can now apparently do a Green Lantern through space by creating a bubble of weather around her

Speaking of rules and power sets, did we see Kate Pryde take down a single Stark Sentinel with her tech disrupting abilities? Seems like that might've been more productive than her going around and just murdering random squads of Orchis goons. Have a telekinetic start throwing her around like a human chaff grenade.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Has Storm ever done that thing Weather Report does in JoJo where he fucks with local atmospheric conditions to create mirage-style illusions?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gripweed posted:

Has Storm ever done that thing Weather Report does in JoJo where he fucks with local atmospheric conditions to create mirage-style illusions?

You know what happens to a snail when it gets struck by lightning?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
...its shell protects it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arist posted:

You know what happens to a snail when it gets struck by lightning?

I dunno, Gambit isn't around to answer these Cajun cuisine questions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
today's X-Men '97

can I guess get some of that boneless wolverine

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 8, 2024

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

today's X-Men '97

can I guess get some of that boneless wolverine

If going by the comics we are gonna get a noseless Wolverine

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How did that whole thing get undone in the comics anyway?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

How did that whole thing get undone in the comics anyway?

Apocalypse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think they're setting up next season as Apocalypse with both a revived Gambit and a savage Wolverine as Horsemen. That would be dope.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I think they're setting up next season as Apocalypse with both a revived Gambit and a savage Wolverine as Horsemen. That would be dope.

With the way they are using major story arcs from the time period I really hope they do a multi episode Age of Apocalypse

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

X-O posted:

Given the sheer speed of this show that might just be a ten minute segment of an episode that's otherwise about Legion or the Brood or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The original cartoon did an Age of Apocalypse episode

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Air Skwirl posted:

The original cartoon did an Age of Apocalypse episode

I am trying to remember an AoA in the original cartoon. I know they did Days of Future Past and Wolverine and the X-Men was going to do AoA for it's cancelled season, but don't recall AoA in the original cartoon outside of when we saw Cable's future.

edit: ah It was the One Man's Worth episode from the later seasons. Figures why I forgot about it seeing as I have forgotten most of the later seasons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I am trying to remember an AoA in the original cartoon. I know they did Days of Future Past and Wolverine and the X-Men was going to do AoA for it's cancelled season, but don't recall AoA in the original cartoon outside of when we saw Cable's future.

edit: ah It was the One Man's Worth episode from the later seasons. Figures why I forgot about it seeing as I have forgotten most of the later seasons.

It's also the first thing I ever saw that hinted at a potential romance between Logan and Storm, but I haven't really read a ton of X-Men from that era. I did eventually read the Age of Apocalypse comics and Logan is hooking up with Jean in that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My biggest problem with X-Men 97 is the voice actor for Professor X is the same as same as Rudy in Invincible and he does a lot of the same inflection.

It's not ACTUALLY a problem but I can't unhear it haha

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I can't believe this thing made an appearance in '97 today

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
^^
Man, Hot Rod's really gone down in the world, huh?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did laugh at the reverse X-Men '00 line.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think we're gonna get Onslaught next season. It's one of the big 90's stories they haven't touched yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I think we're gonna get Onslaught next season. It's one of the big 90's stories they haven't touched yet.

Oh boy, we can do Heroes Reborn!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Oh boy, we can do Heroes Reborn!

You joke, but we've seen cameos from some Avengers already so what if they do show up to help beat Onslaught and that leaves only the X-Men? Now we have even more reason for the public to fear and hate them!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If Season 2 ends with Onslaught I want the opener for every season 3 episode to be the X-Men dealing with an F4 or Avengers villain before moving onto the main plot

I could also see the team adopting Franklin until the Richardses make it back, too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it would be funny to have the comics retcon franklin back into a mutant to coincide with him showing up in x-men 97 of all things

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's Teen Tony time!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dang, another hero who didn't go for the head. Wolverine, I thought you were supposed to be the best there is!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Dang, another hero who didn't go for the head. Wolverine, I thought you were supposed to be the best there is!

Much like Thor, he foolishly figured that people would actually die from a grievous chest wound and not just gently caress everything up regardless!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's not gonna be a second season of X-Men '97, sorry to say.

The first season of X-Men '98 is gonna be a banger tho

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lobok posted:

I thought They needed Magneto alive to restore the magnetic field of Earth? Althought why not just have Morph turn into Neeto and do it themselves?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 9, 2024

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Morph can only mimic physical powers. I thought we just had this discussion?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bunnyofdoom posted:

I thought They needed Magneto alive to restore the magnetic field of Earth?

At first they did but it failed and it looked like Chuck was about to die.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

It's Teen Tony time!

Reboot of Iron Man Armoured Adventures confirmed!

(That show was actually kind of good, honestly)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Everyone wants this to tie into the MCU or whatever but with Onslaught on the board, truly the time is ripe for the Capcom crossover

I think the only thing about the show that's not working for me at all is Roberto. His story and dialogue feels like it's written by a far less competent team than the ones handling everything else, and his voice-actor is the most dishwater-dull out of the entire cast and the contest isn't close.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Everyone wants this to tie into the MCU or whatever but with Onslaught on the board, truly the time is ripe for the Capcom crossover

End stinger where down in the basement of the mansion we find that Beast and Forge have been building... Mega Man. BUM BUM BUMMMMM

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I liked Beast bitch slapping that sentinel with its own hand

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror robot Sentinels. you do, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://x.com/beaudemayo/status/1789014366760890834?s=46

https://x.com/beaudemayo/status/1789038810485190756?s=46