Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

also somehow palpatine returned. for more on this story, please play fortnite

they explained how palpatine returned in a book released after the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
palpatine also cloned himself and that clone left and had a family and this isnt considered important at all lol

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they explained how palpatine returned in a book released after the movie

I already know how he returned. "Somehow".

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the delivery of "Somehow, Palpatine has returned" is so good. it's like Oscar Isaac knew there was no way they were gonna be able to salvage this one editing. exasperated.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cloning, cybernetics, dark magic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Milo mentions at one point that the process of debunking nonsensical conspiracy theories always takes a lot more time and effort than just spouting whatever random bullshit you found on the internet, therefore truth will always be at a disadvantage in our world of endless content creation.

only because society normally frowns upon someone just stating, exasperatedly, "No!", and then pulling a gun and filling idiots with more lead than blood

also idiots have access to guns too, which takes most of the fun out of murder

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the delivery of "Somehow, Palpatine has returned" is so good. it's like Oscar Isaac knew there was no way they were gonna be able to salvage this one editing. exasperated.

I'm still smiling each time that bit comes up, just perfect comedy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Alaois posted:

Cloning, cybernetics, dark magic.

I *said* "SOMEHOW".

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Endorph posted:

Anakin posts on space reddit about how sebulba is a washed up rear end in a top hat

I'm in the pod smoking Sebulba.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JainOV4c6_E

Kylo Benjamin got his helmet back from a chimpanzee in a welding mask.

This is never brought up again.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the contempt for star wars everyone in the sequel trilogy has owns. real harrison ford energy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The sequel trilogy is going to have zero cultural cachet for people in the future. Their memeable but good scifi series is Villeneuve's Dune.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Choo-choo, it's train time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz96Ajp2dHI

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

KingKalamari posted:

The Fantastic Four is another interesting case study, because they're absolutely foundational to the universe of the comics, with pretty much every part of the Marvel Universe being tied back to them somehow, but because Marvel sold off their film rights decades ago and never got them back they ended up having to construct the MCU entirely without them.

I feel like The Fantastic Four are also a property that just inherently doesn't jibe with some people. Like, I'm sorry, I know they're important, and The Thing and Dr. Doom are great, but I am incapable of giving the remotest poo poo about F4. I guess we'll find out if audiences are.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 8, 2024

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Libluini posted:

only because society normally frowns upon someone just stating, exasperatedly, "No!", and then pulling a gun and filling idiots with more lead than blood

also idiots have access to guns too, which takes most of the fun out of murder

i personally dont think we should shoot conspiracy theorists with guns

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I think the bigger void that's left by the Fantastic Four initially being off-limits is the absence of their rogues gallery. Most of the super big, crisis-crossover level threats in the Marvel Universe started as FF villains and are still associated with their film rights. Without access to the Fantastic Four the MCU is missing out on Doctor Doom and Galactus.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

Comics must have seemed like an infinitely deep well of content back at the start of the modern superhero movies craze but they've become so voracious about making GBS threads as many out as possible that they're somehow actually starting to see the bottom.

It doesn't help that they've combed over all the A, B, and C tier notable superhero characters that can comfortably be adapted into the painfully self-conscious "realistic taticool" writing and aesthetic choices Marvel and DC are committed to. Like, all people really fixate on with the Deadpool movies are the lolwacky meme things, but it's also surreal how those are the movies that are allowed to be the most open about sex, have central gay characters, and also "goofy" poo poo like finally letting Wolverine wear the yellow suit of all things. Birds of Prey did a similar thing, but then that got buried by poo poo marketing and the pandemic so rip.

Any notable characters they can pull out at this point are either really difficult to justify in-universe because they're legacy characters who took up the mantle of someone else or they're characters with powers that (god forbid) might be silly, strange, or expensive to present in live action because they do more than kung fu or weapon attacks.

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly, the thing I could potentially see happening with the ST is it gaining a cult following 10-20 years down the line on the angle of squandered potential. Like, fans online who grew up with it talking about how the stuff that was set up in TFA or TLJ that they found interesting and ways those elements could have been better paid off in a third film that wasn't ROS. Basically I can see a fix fic community eventually cropping up around these films and the fact that this entire era of the franchise got unceremoniously abandoned by Disney might even make it more appealing for dedicated fans to latch onto.

I think you'd still need some sustained momentum to see any kind of fandom build up around that. Like at this point Harry Potter and Twilight are sustained by fix fics and revisiting the old material, but those book series and movies were so massive and iconic. Even when you look at the weird moments in Twilight, they're things that fascinate people in a particular way. Star Wars will keep chugging on, and maybe in like 15 years Disney can convince Daisy Ridley to come back for a follow up TV series to resuscitate things, but I'm not sure what else could help at this point.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 8, 2024

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fil5000 posted:

also somehow palpatine returned. for more on this story, please play fortnite

Nah, they released the real backstory through indie channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFbLppuhhs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

palpatine also cloned himself and that clone left and had a family and this isnt considered important at all lol

JJ Abrams can only process nepotism as a means of being special so it was necessary.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

KingKalamari posted:

I think the bigger void that's left by the Fantastic Four initially being off-limits is the absence of their rogues gallery. Most of the super big, crisis-crossover level threats in the Marvel Universe started as FF villains and are still associated with their film rights. Without access to the Fantastic Four the MCU is missing out on Doctor Doom and Galactus.

Annihilus is my desire.
But knowing the MCU they would give him a humanoid face. Ick

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
in the last jedi its made clear rey isnt special and her parents abandoned her because they were drug addicts this was so impossible to understand for star wars fans they had to pull palpatine out of their asses and say he was her grandfather because everyone has to be related in star wars

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the mcu suffered a lot from a lack of x-men, spider-man and fantastic four early on and its too late to fill that void because the movies are unbearable to watch now

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Crain posted:

Nah, they released the real backstory through indie channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFbLppuhhs

forgot about this one lol. god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mcu will never top the greatest use of both magneto and the fantastic four anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

Snoke not being a giant like the hologram in the first movie implied is the biggest whiff in the entire series.

It sucked so hard when they revealed he was a hologram.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I haven't seen the X-Men movies in an eternity and all I remember is Magneto blowing up the plastic prison because Mystique seduced a mallcop in the bathroom and injected him with iron and Phoenix being like "actually it's a good thing that you killed because I'm a dumb idiot who can't control her powers also I love you" at the end of X-Men 3. Also that I kept wondering when Professor X would do literally anything at all that mattered and the answer was never.

Also I think there was a Wolverine spinoff movie where he goes to a dam or something?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

The really stupid thing to me is that they could’ve had Palpatine back if they wanted the actor to show up for memes, he just should’ve been an eeeeevil force ghost.

Make Snoke some imperial remnant guy that found the Force Ghost of Palpatine, who started whispering evil secrets to being an Emperor into his ear. Make it their relationship contentious; Palpatine wants a puppet but Snoke isn’t having it. Fortunately for Palpatine, Snoke was murdered by Vader’s emotionally unstable and easily manipulated grandson. Hell, keep the “I was every voice you ever heard” line and imply Palpatine had been trying to make this happen for years.

It’s still a stupid idea, but it would be better than spending 90 minutes pissing in the last movie because a bunch of nerds said it was a dumpster fire.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there were multiple wolverine spin offs and all of them but logan were bad lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wolverine spin off where we learn his origin story and he fights deadpool baraka on a dam

wolverine spin off where he goes to japan

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

I haven't seen the X-Men movies in an eternity and all I remember is Magneto blowing up the plastic prison because Mystique seduced a mallcop in the bathroom and injected him with iron and Phoenix being like "actually it's a good thing that you killed because I'm a dumb idiot who can't control her powers also I love you" at the end of X-Men 3. Also that I kept wondering when Professor X would do literally anything at all that mattered and the answer was never.

Also I think there was a Wolverine spinoff movie where he goes to a dam or something?

They keep trying to condense Dark Phoenix into one movie and it never works but they keep doing it. Excited to see how the MCU messes it up. Fox has two chances so it's only fair Disney gets one.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mycophobia posted:

i personally dont think we should shoot conspiracy theorists with guns

eeeeeeeeeeeeh

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wolverine spin off where we learn his origin story and he fights deadpool baraka on a dam
lmao I forgot "Deadpool" was technically in that movie, what a shitshow.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Grondoth posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeh

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh...

violence is never the answer op

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are only two good x-men movies maybe two and a half

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

lmao I forgot "Deadpool" was technically in that movie, what a shitshow.

I respect Ryan Reynolds pettiness in shooting that version of the character in the face in the Deadpool 2 mid credits scene

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

I respect Ryan Reynolds pettiness in shooting that version of the character in the face in the Deadpool 2 mid credits scene

deadpool killing ryan reynolds before he accepts the role of green lantern was funny too

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

They keep trying to condense Dark Phoenix into one movie and it never works but they keep doing it. Excited to see how the MCU messes it up. Fox has two chances so it's only fair Disney gets one.

god it would be funny if disney does it too. sisyphean curse for Jean Grey

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sydin posted:

Comics must have seemed like an infinitely deep well of content back at the start of the modern superhero movies craze but they've become so voracious about making GBS threads as many out as possible that they're somehow actually starting to see the bottom.

Nah, there is still tons of stuff of equal quality to adapt , they just have to start looking outside of origin stories or crossovers/cinematic universe.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jean grey will only ever be remembered for two things. that time she killed everyone and that time she kept coming back to life

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pigbuster posted:

I feel like The Fantastic Four are also a property that just inherently doesn't jibe with some people. Like, I'm sorry, I know they're important, and The Thing and Dr. Doom are great, but I am incapable of giving the remotest poo poo about F4. I guess we'll find out if audiences are.

Johnny is fun as Spider-Mans bro-y best friend who shows up to help out and make fun of him occasionally and the kids are fun. Well Val is because her uncle/godfather is Dr. Doom and she loves to pull that card and that's always a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wolverine spin off where he goes to japan
this one had a cool train fight at least