Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think they've been under pressure to make MORE money lately, not less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I'm annoyed I have to pay for Dungeon access separate to the expansion that I did buy and that they're a part of

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Finn posted:

I'm annoyed I have to pay for Dungeon access separate to the expansion that I did buy and that they're a part of

Yeah this is always the thing to me that stands out as blatant greed. Dungeons are extremely cool content but broadly speaking the ones you have to pay for are not a great deal more elaborate or long than the ones that were free or came with an expansion. Nor do the expansions themselves have a great deal more content that the dungeons are being displaced by in the presumed budget.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 8, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t get why they just don’t go the MMO route and just let you buy the newest expansion and add the rest on for free like every other MMO does. I don’t think telling people they have to buy all the other expansions is a winning move.

Because they don't have a sub fee or a requirement to play through the expansions sequentially.

FF14 and WoW both benefit from keeping players busy so they keep paying sub fees.

As far as I know, Guild Wars 2 basically has the same model as Destiny 2 does - a base game and a bunch of ala carte expansions.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I mean season passes are essentially sub fees, just spread out. And judging from Bungie’s issues this past year, an expansion selling well doesn’t mean poo poo if the playerbase drops off.

This problem could be lessened by new players coming in to replace older ones, but imo the new player experience in D2 is currently garbage, and part of that is explaining to a new player what they should buy (ex: Don’t get Forsaken unless you really want to go through Last Wish/Shattered Throne, because there isn’t a campaign attached to it anymore; if you want all the stuff that was released the year Witch Queen came out, you need to buy Witch Queen and the 30th Anniversary Pack and then you need to go into the in-game store and buy the Witch Queen dungeon key with silver…). Stuffing everything released so far into an easy “get everything” bundle would make this step much simpler.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 8, 2024

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If you buy the Annual Deluxe Expansion every year, the $/Month to play Destiny is quite reasonable. But the actual experience of purchasing Destiny, especially after a break from the game, is ... absurd. Juggling SKUs and figuring out what you need to own for X piece of content is quite an undertaking

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
One of my friends started to play with us and basically immediately quit when he found out that the dungeon wasn’t part of the expansion that he just bought and I honestly don’t blame him.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, exactly! I cannot imagine saying this to a new player:

kurona_bright posted:

if you want all the stuff that was released the year Witch Queen came out, you need to buy Witch Queen and the 30th Anniversary Pack and then you need to go into the in-game store and buy the Witch Queen dungeon key with silver
and getting a reaction other than “wtf” or “gently caress this”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

I mean season passes are essentially sub fees, just spread out. And judging from Bungie’s issues this past year, an expansion selling well doesn’t mean poo poo if the playerbase drops off.

I feel like with a single patch cycle of WoW or FF14, I can easily end up subbed for 2-3 months, which means they're getting a lot more of my money for a similar content cycle. I'm sure there's no shortage of players who just have a sub that runs indefinitely too. so WoW and FF14 can pretty much only make more money from subs then Destiny makes from season passes.

No disagreement that Destiny 2's model is kind of a mess though.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you buy the Annual Deluxe Expansion every year, the $/Month to play Destiny is quite reasonable. But the actual experience of purchasing Destiny, especially after a break from the game, is ... absurd. Juggling SKUs and figuring out what you need to own for X piece of content is quite an undertaking

Hey it's me! I just bought the Humble Bundle and then after it was over got two people into it and it was HORRIBLE to get them parts of what they needed. We missed getting Forsaken for one person when it was still on sale and now it's $20 which lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The fact that the legacy pack does *not* include the bits of Forsaken and 30th DLC is loving horrendous lol

Like it wouldn't be as bad if the legacy pack was literally everything but the latest expansion, but also ideally, sell the latest expansion with all that poo poo. And why is it ever any more than the sale price really? Charge full price for the latest expansion, fine, but everything before that should be ideally free or at the minimum at firesale prices.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They bleed money like crazy so they want all they can get.

Mill Village posted:

Remaster D1 and bring it to PC. Much better old school experience than Year 1 of D2.

They would never split the player base this much but I wish they did. I played like a bit of D1 last year and the tone and atmosphere is leagues above D2. If it wasn't 30fps I would've been playing it back in the day.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Y1's sandbox was dogshit but come on, there were some fun quests and story. Exodus & Spark, Riptide, Six, Pyramidion, 1AU. Even Warmind had Will of the Thousands. It was good content if you just played it once and enjoyed it!

I think the problem is that there's a funamental split between the ARPG/MMO design space that wants players to run the same activity over and over for another pull of the RNG lever; and the design space that wants well crafted narratives that tell an epic story in an unfolding and progressing universe.

Listening to the "I want wow without the monthly fee" people kind of destroyed the game for me, because they wanted More Content and that couldn't be accomplished without more monetization. Black Armory was possibly peak for me, but it also introduced the seasonal activity queue and I think that was kind of a problem.

D2Y1 wasn't really the best, but a lot of the people especially in the PC populace didn't play D1, because Taken King sunset all D1Y1 weapons and made new rebalanced versions, and that was fun. The problem was that TTK also introduced infusion, and while it was fine for not having to dispose of a good roll when more DPS comes along, infusion never should carry between expansions. I'd argue what it needs from MMOs is MORE sunsetting, specifically the "this starter weapon pulled off out of a trash can in the new expansion's zone is better DPS than the Hyperspeed God-Killer you got at the end of the last expansion's raid" effect.

That means that all old expansions but the very latest ones are worthless, but Bungie wants some excuse to keep charging people dozens of dollars for coding they did three or four years ago.

EDIT: Spedifically,

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t get why they just don’t go the MMO route and just let you buy the newest expansion and add the rest on for free like every other MMO does. I don’t think telling people they have to buy all the other expansions is a winning move.

This, I just keep saying this forever. People keep saying "wait until legacy collection goes on sale", and I have Legacy collection for free from Epic Games but if there's 20 days a year where it is "a good time" to join your game without being taken advantage of as a consumer THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING.

Oxyclean posted:

FF14 and WoW both benefit from keeping players busy so they keep paying sub fees.

FF14 is, for a lot of people, a game that they subscribe to four or so months of the year when new story content appears and then they duck out. High end raiders subscribe about as much, leaving when the raid is cleared and they're satisified.

Destiny players freak the hell out when I suggest Destiny would be better with a sub fee because the $100 a year they spend on collectors edition expansions is less than the monthly fee for being subscribed to WoW every single year (and WoW might be moving to $50 expansions every 18 months to satisfy demands for More Content and also make Blizz more money), but honestly there's an argument for both because I have no interest in spending $100 on Destiny but I'd spend $13/month for some sort of Destiny+ that included all expansions and all season passes and all dungeon passes etc in perpetuity, probably for 3-4 months or so until I get bored and move on.

I just don't want to play the game regularly all year round.

Destiny basically needs a Fortnite Crew sort of option without abandoning the people who object if I say "maybe a monthly sub isn't that bad."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 9, 2024

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

If I'm paying a monthly sub I demand some sort of economy and the ability to make enemies by "need"ing a roll I didn't really need.
Basically WoW sets a bunch of expectations on what your game has to provide with regard to UI and API modding that I don't think Bungie could deliver for a D3.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 9, 2024

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

kurona_bright posted:

This problem could be lessened by new players coming in to replace older ones, but imo the new player experience in D2 is currently garbage, and part of that is explaining to a new player what they should buy (ex: Don’t get Forsaken unless you really want to go through Last Wish/Shattered Throne, because there isn’t a campaign attached to it anymore; if you want all the stuff that was released the year Witch Queen came out, you need to buy Witch Queen and the 30th Anniversary Pack and then you need to go into the in-game store and buy the Witch Queen dungeon key with silver…). Stuffing everything released so far into an easy “get everything” bundle would make this step much simpler.

The 30th anniversary pack came out the year before Witch Queen as extra content when WQ got delayed, but otherwise agreed on how dire it is to purchase older content, especially the dungeon passes.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Yeah Bungie said they still make a not insubstantial amount of money off the old games at some point recently, so I'm not expecting anything to change on that front. Makes no sense as a consumer, but oh well.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yeah Bungie said they still make a not insubstantial amount of money off the old games at some point recently, so I'm not expecting anything to change on that front. Makes no sense as a consumer, but oh well.
You´d think that if the expansions are still making money for Bungie they´d invest some extra effort into improve the first timer gamers experience but apparently the current situation is considered good enough.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I'd argue what it needs from MMOs is MORE sunsetting, specifically the "this starter weapon pulled off out of a trash can in the new expansion's zone is better DPS than the Hyperspeed God-Killer you got at the end of the last expansion's raid" effect.
Things like that work in WoW because the loot grading colours actually mean something, and you have the uniques and ubers that are rare drops, but are OP once you finally get them. And then next expansion the cap goes up and there are newer, better uniques to chase.

In D2 the loot is flattened. It's all the same. In D1 levelling and in the brief 2 week window after a D2 DLC where you're equipping blues, it's kind of exciting to see a purple; but the second you're at or near the cap, a purple engram is an annoyance that you ignore until it turns up at the postmaster.

It's not going to be better than any of the bajillion other guns you have, it doesn't give you anything interesting when you disassemble it (especially with the death of legendary shards) and it doesn't progress your other guns at all.

They won't let any loot be OP, and even if it accidentally is, it gets rebalanced after a week or two so the crucible nerds stop screeching. Even exotics are boring once you have decent rolls of the ones you like, because you wonder if it's worth the mats to replace your 68 stat high resilience Lorely by ascending the 70 stat one that just dropped (but might end up worse if the meta changes mid season).

There are so many activities in this game where you get to the end and the 'reward' is just not rewarding, at all. The game is fun, but the reward system is absolute dogshit. They want you to invest in your loot, but also not hoard old guns so you're not excited about new ones. And there's the power climb they still insist on because it's what they've always done, but then most activities just use a scaled delta making it meaningless. But you still need it for trials. Which is supposed to be balanced so no gun is too OP.

It's another example of a bunch of different systems and ideologies left over from previous approaches that don't really interact well, and in a lot of cases get in the way of each other. Playing this game, running round shooting mans, solving puzzles, it's a fun game - it's just that everything surrounding that is a huge loving mess.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 9, 2024

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Enjoy the cringe of the voice over:

https://youtu.be/WY3GNEddJ-U

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FlapYoJacks posted:

Enjoy the cringe of the voice over:

https://youtu.be/WY3GNEddJ-U

Hahaha, what the heck... That comms chatter was definitely added in after the fact, and was written by AI

Also the prismatic footage has literally always been a mix of light & darkness. I wonder if that's going to be a requirement? I'm more excited about some of the light/light and dark/dark combos than always having to pick one of each

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

The 30th anniversary pack came out the year before Witch Queen as extra content when WQ got delayed, but otherwise agreed on how dire it is to purchase older content, especially the dungeon passes.

Whoops, you’re right — my bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You'll probably be able to run only one or only the other if you really must but you will be hobbling your transcendence if you aren't doing comparable levels of light and dark (or kinetic) damage most of the time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It would be so easy for Bungie to offer an ultimate pack for $120 that includes everything currently released. That’s it. That’s all they need to do. It’s insane they don’t.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hahaha, what the heck... That comms chatter was definitely added in after the fact, and was written by AI

Also the prismatic footage has literally always been a mix of light & darkness. I wonder if that's going to be a requirement? I'm more excited about some of the light/light and dark/dark combos than always having to pick one of each

You'll be kneecapping yourself if you do pure light/dark with Prismatic since the big gimmick is you have a special bar that needs to be filled by doing light damage and dark damage. (Half of the bar is filled with one) - I think they said weapons work too, so in theory you could do pure light abilities and focus on charging the dark meter with weapons.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Everyone who had anything to do with creating this Nimbus character should be fired. Jesus.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

You'll be kneecapping yourself if you do pure light/dark with Prismatic since the big gimmick is you have a special bar that needs to be filled by doing light damage and dark damage. (Half of the bar is filled with one) - I think they said weapons work too, so in theory you could do pure light abilities and focus on charging the dark meter with weapons.

Yeah weapons are a more reliable source of damage than abilities so no concerns there. They even specified that Kinetic will help you progress the transcendometer extra fast.

I meant specifically like, Prismatic Subclass Stuff. Equipping a solar aspect and an arc aspect, for example

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

AcidCat posted:

Everyone who had anything to do with creating this Nimbus character should be fired. Jesus.

nimbus is super cringe and that's why they're great

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
my main beef with the current expansion system is that the guns, which only come with a money costing expansion and are the entire point of a looter shooter, are rarely ever that great. Like, the Lightfall guns are all objectively rear end outside of a couple edge cases. Most everything good comes from seasons or dungeons, both of which are separate SKUs, or holidays which are free.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It is hard to remember what the Annual Expansion SKUs even include, since so much of it is free or tied to a separate product or has special rules of access

Like what happens if you don't own WQ and one of the Nightfalls is Birthplace of the Vile? Can you not gild Conqueror that season?

Annual Expansions are basically a campaign that may or may not be worth paying actual money to SKIP, a raid, sometimes a subclass, some half dozen exotics, and 1-2 strikes that you can encounter in the Strikes Playlist but can't select from the map or run as nightfalls?

Nightmarish

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Like what happens if you don't own WQ and one of the Nightfalls is Birthplace of the Vile? Can you not gild Conqueror that season?

Nope. It pops up a helpful full screen ad for that particular expansion detailing all the things you are missing for not owning it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Two cool things from the footage

- Strand rocket sidearm
- Creating a Stasis Shard without having the Harvest stasis aspect equipped. I've been saying for years now that Stasis would be appropriately balanced if they made Stasis Shards either an inherent part of the class (like Tangles) or if they made Grim/Glacial/Tectonic Harvest into a fragment instead of an aspect

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PERMACAV 50 posted:

my main beef with the current expansion system is that the guns, which only come with a money costing expansion and are the entire point of a looter shooter, are rarely ever that great. Like, the Lightfall guns are all objectively rear end outside of a couple edge cases. Most everything good comes from seasons or dungeons, both of which are separate SKUs, or holidays which are free.

I think it's been that way since Shadowkeep. The expansion guns from SK, BL, WQ, and LF have had very limited use. At least the first three had cool-looking new models, LF guns are just recolors of the SK guns.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All of this talk reminded me of the $15 starter pack that included some random guns from the junk pile and a few crafting materials. It received so much mockery that Bungie pulled it from embarassment lmfao.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hunter has some very interesting new movement tech.
https://youtu.be/G_zUYhy6UnE

Orv
May 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Regrettably it’s probably not written by AI. For some reason whenever a games studio does developer “voice chat” over some gameplay footage it always sounds exactly like that. The dorkiest poo poo no one would ever say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg

I want to say Forsaken prerelease stuff has some of it too.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 9, 2024

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So why the heck is Transcendence limited to a special grenade? Limited dev time?

Feels insane that you don't have a hybrid melee, special class ability, etc. Looks like it has a different drain time in PvE compared to PvP, too

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hunter has some very interesting new movement tech.
https://youtu.be/G_zUYhy6UnE

Holy poo poo, that looks awesome.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All three:

Hunter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zUYhy6UnE

Titan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00Drr7UZ8o

Warlock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY3GNEddJ-U

Orv
May 4, 2011
Imagine solar dodging into a lane like that first Hunter clip and not being immediately vaporized by team shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orv posted:

Imagine solar dodging into a lane like that first Hunter clip and not being immediately vaporized by team shots

The devs are famously awful at PvP.