Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been heavily favoring my primary over support weapons for a long time, which is probably also why I value the supply pack so much. Outside of like, the AC and the laser cannon, the primaries feel stronger for general use than the supports, with the supports being on-demand answers to specific problems your primary can't deal with. Which is the way it should be IMO

E: I've never been into the eruptor though so I can't speak for it specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Eediot Jedi posted:

Just casually character assassinating his team by repeating bullshit about nerfing the fun things.

:goonsay:

jfc dude

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Hard disagree. They should rename them from "Primary" if the purpose of them is to what, not really be used? Support weapons support your overall build, your primary/secondary combo determines your playstyle. It has the typical range of gun types that place players at different roles. SMG/DMR/Rifle/Shotgun/Wildcard etc They should be strong and playable, but there should of course be enemies that require effective use of your strategems. The eruptor should not really 1 shot a charger, but it only has 6 shots and to empty the magazine takes like 18 seconds, it should be able to kill all of the non-heavy enemies. Changing it to take half a magazine (and 9 seconds) to kill a broodcommander is bonkers crazy. Thats an enemy type which spawns in pairs in a patrol. You can take out a patrol in 2 seconds with a breaker, why should the eruptor not be able to slowly kill an entire patrol? Or really, why can't a primary be anti-heavy? What is the purpose of multiple "clears light chaff" support weapons when your primary & secondary weapons can already clear light chaff? Why not have a slow, hard hitting primary that can deal with chargers but you will be SOL if you're surrounded by baby enemies? I enjoyed running stalwart with eruptor and I would never ever in a million years run stalwart with any other weapon. The HD2 dev team really pushing towards "you need to use stratagems" to deal with most problems is bad when they also do not have HD1's CD levels. You can have situations where you are sitting at 3 minute cool downs on all your stratagems and there are STILL enemies you need to kill with them on the field.

The other thing re: balance for primary/secondary is that any game with guns has what we call "gun feel" and 70% of gunfeel is just the animation, aiming snap, sound, hit feedback, but that other 30% is effectiveness. The game IS the gun play so the thing you're making your players do for most of the gameplay should feel good.

"The eruptor is still viable!!" yea but it feels bad to use now, who cares if its at the bare minimum of viability? No one wants to sit there and hit an enemy with a slow, powerful shot and then realize they're still alive and you need to wait 2 seconds to rack a bolt and then shoot them again and then wait 2 seconds and do it again. Its incongruent with the actions the player is taking. This was the issue early on with heavy enemies and the power of EATs/RR. When chargers could not be 1 shot in the face it just felt bad to fight them. Combined with them being increased in spawn rate it was miserable. Some gamers have weird dopamine generators where the rodeo of doing the back leg exploit was driving their enjoyment, but I think most players shot the anti-tank rocket at the tank, saw it do jackshit, and said "what the gently caress?"

Oh yeah for sure

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eediot Jedi posted:

Just casually character assassinating his team by repeating bullshit about nerfing the fun things.

I'll assassinate YOUR character if you ever matchmake with me.... scum!!!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

part of me wants to say that it was a mistake to make new Warbonds one a month, every month, since they obviously need more time in the oven, every time. But this game thrives on how much it’s constantly making changes like sneaking new enemy types in or making unique, curated community goals.

I dunno maybe if they were smaller? Like half the size? We’d still get an armor set or two, a couple of guns, a couple of emotes every month, which is still pretty good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LazyMaybe posted:

By the way, the guy who did these posts studying patrol spawning has been testing the new scaling for patrols by playercount. And, uh-

-that'd explain some things

but i've been doing two person bug/robot 7s though and the difficulty feels like it's about the same as with 4 people... am i simply a god gamer???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Drone_Fragger posted:

even an autocannon takes three body shots to kill a devastator.

My friend, the Autocannon has an RoF north of 120. The Erupter has a RoF of 25, or one shot every 2.4 seconds. The Erupter also has a much longer reload animation, (assuming the AC user isn't a doofus who completely goes through all the ammo in the gun). The end result is that the AC can put six shots into two targets well before the Erupter gets it's second shot off.

The reality is that the Erupter, if you factor in reloads, could put out around 1 shot per every 3 seconds sustained. The "broken" Erupter was producing one dead Devastator every 3 seconds. That is absolutely not any sort of competition to the AC. Everyone referred to the Erupter as Autocannon Jr. or AC-Lite or whatever, nobody ever said "this thing is better than the Autocannon!" because it plainly isn't.

edit: obviously the gun should not be one-shotting a Charger.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the dude does sound like he's throwing the rest of the team under the bus.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Terminology quibbles aside, I always thought it was clear support weapons are stronger than primary weapons since the very first ones you get are an assault rifle and a machine gun that kills the same stuff, but better.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sindai posted:

Terminology quibbles aside, I always thought it was clear support weapons are stronger than primary weapons since the very first ones you get are an assault rifle and a machine gun that does the same stuff, but better.

In HD1 your primary weapon was your main killing tool, and weapons like the Stalwart and Railgun were primaries. There is obviously a shift in how Arrowhead is treating the primaries in HD2. I don't think of the MG as something like "does what your primary does but better" but instead, it handles specific situations. You have to stop to reload, its best when you're prone, it has a big mag, it has increased armor pen. Its clearly designed for holding vs a large force. That doesn't mean the primary auto rifle shouldn't be able to kill stuff efficiently.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 8, 2024

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

LazyMaybe posted:

By the way, the guy who did these posts studying patrol spawning has been testing the new scaling for patrols by playercount. And, uh-

That would explain why solo bugs feels like the No-Chill Zone even on lower difficulties

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

For many people, learning about the 40/100 balance guy is like learning about Joel. Man invented his pantheons so he could not have to know the true machinations of his world.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

Terminology quibbles aside, I always thought it was clear support weapons are stronger than primary weapons since the very first ones you get are an assault rifle and a machine gun that kills the same stuff, but better.

doesn't the machine gun have a lot of recoil so the liberator is actually much better at killing certain enemies

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turn off the TV posted:

doesn't the machine gun have a lot of recoil so the liberator is actually much better at killing certain enemies
Also much worse handling which can make it significantly worse at, for instance, killing hunters flanking from multiple directions

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Babe Magnet posted:

part of me wants to say that it was a mistake to make new Warbonds one a month, every month, since they obviously need more time in the oven, every time. But this game thrives on how much it’s constantly making changes like sneaking new enemy types in or making unique, curated community goals.

I dunno maybe if they were smaller? Like half the size? We’d still get an armor set or two, a couple of guns, a couple of emotes every month, which is still pretty good.

I'd much prefer a single page warbond with a new and good primary/secondary/booster/nade/armor a month alongside other gameplay updates than a full warbond of repeats or bad weapons. I'd even still pay the full 1000 super credits (which seems pretty easy to grind in a month anyways).

They also need to add warbond weapons to the rotating store so you can get something without buying the full warbond. I want the breaker incendiary but not enough to drop real money for a single weapon.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Jerkface posted:

...words...

It's called a primary because you drop with it and it's bigger than the sidearm.

That's all.

Literally everything else is a strategem.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Jerkface posted:

In HD1 your primary weapon was your main killing tool, and weapons like the Stalwart and Railgun were primaries. There is obviously a shift in how Arrowhead is treating the primaries in HD2. I don't think of the MG as something like "does what your primary does but better" but instead, it handles specific situations. You have to stop to reload, its best when you're prone, it has a big mag, it has increased armor pen. Its clearly designed for holding vs a large force. That doesn't mean the primary auto rifle shouldn't be able to kill stuff efficiently.
People really gotta stop bringing up the Helldivers 1 railgun and Stalwart and acting like they're anywhere near comparable to their Helldivers 2 versions. The railgun especially, as in the first game it was a 5 shot, no charge mechanic gun that had the utility of being able to stun heavies but had the same AP as the Justice AR (or in HD2 equivalents, same as the Liberator Penetrator). Basically the only similarly is that they're both called a railgun.

HD1 Stalwart would be like if you cut the mag size to 1/3 and locked it in at the lowest RPM. That's why it was a primary.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Insert name here posted:

HD1 Stalwart would be like if you cut the mag size to 1/3 and locked it in at the lowest RPM. That's why it was a primary.

The HD1 stalwart fully upgraded had 150 rounds, the HD2 stalwart has 250 rounds. 150 rounds is still beast for a primary. They fulfill the same role, clearing weaker trash easy and fast with big up time. The railgun also could pierce enemies which was cool.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

which woman do i have to harass to get flame resist armor?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I hope this embeds!!

https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1788307330607550499

If not it's a link to a twitter poll on if the warbond should be delayed due to the Sony poo poo.

LazyMaybe posted:

Lmao this game :allears:

Dandywalken posted:

I'll assassinate YOUR character if you ever matchmake with me.... scum!!!!

Squash me like a bug big dandy.

Bottom Liner posted:

They also need to add warbond weapons to the rotating store so you can get something without buying the full warbond. I want the breaker incendiary but not enough to drop real money for a single weapon.

That'd be cool tbh. I don't like the live service pay for the opportunity to unlock things.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

the dude does sound like he's throwing the rest of the team under the bus.

I took it as a neutral noncommittal “you guys are always unhappy with these adjustments, our balance goals may not be the same as the general expectations. We are gonna look at making you less unhappy.”

Whether that means actual changes or just reframing the current changes is not specified.

Like basically “yeah we hear you”.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

How about gently caress them for trying to get me to make a xitter account to vote in their poll? They should release the warbond but there's no way I'm making an account on a poo poo head's website to vote for it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can someone post the poll results? I don't want to make an account on the nazi website

vvv :bless:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

Can someone post the poll results? I don't want to make an account on the nazi website

Release tomorrow is winning 2:1

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Was 3:1 for me just now

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Jerkface posted:

3:1, it's currently at 75% to 25% in favour of release

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BitBasher posted:

How about gently caress them for trying to get me to make a xitter account to vote in their poll? They should release the warbond but there's no way I'm making an account on a poo poo head's website to vote for it.

Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think the CEO of Arrowhead is actively "trying to get you to make" a twitter account. He just posted a thing on twitter. Relax

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The Eruptor was too good because it was add clear and medium enemy clear at the same time. Now it is bad because it can do neither. Perhaps the sweet spot is in the middle?????????

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

The Eruptor was too good because it was add clear and medium enemy clear at the same time. Now it is bad because it can do neither. Perhaps the sweet spot is in the middle?????????

Would anyone think the Eruptor was overpowered if it had it's old killing ability against hiveguard/brood commanders/unshielded devastators and it's rough AoE ability but lost the ability to kill chargers? Ie, had the power it seems like they initially intended?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Would anyone think the Eruptor was overpowered if it had it's old killing ability against hiveguard/brood commanders/unshielded devastators and it's rough AoE ability but lost the ability to kill chargers? Ie, had the power it seems like they initially intended?

I didn't even know it could kill chargers so yeah I'd be fine with that! :v:

The old Eruptor was good but there were a lot of cases it didn't work at all in, and some of those would get you killed. It was also super bad handling to where lining up a long shot on small robots could take several seconds from a sprint to stopping to shooting. I didn't think it was unbalanced. Just solid.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 8, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BitBasher posted:

I didn't even know it could kill chargers so yeah I'd be fine with that! :v:

The old Eruptor was good but there were a lot of cases it didn't work at all in, and some of those would get you killed. It was also super bad handling to where lining up a long shot on small robots could take several seconds from a sprint to stopping to shooting. I didn't think it was unbalanced. Just solid.

it was definitely overpowered, there were a few times where i was able to get around 20 kills in a single shot with it due to what I assume was lucky shrapnel RNG

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah the ability to do both of those, and the utility of bug hole/bot fab destroyer was probably too much. I think it either needs to be an anti-medium weapon or an anti swarm weapon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm protesting the Eruptor nerf by refusing to ever use it in games. This is my Mahatma Gandhi.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

This would be ideal imo

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

it was definitely overpowered, there were a few times where i was able to get around 20 kills in a single shot with it due to what I assume was lucky shrapnel RNG

When I used it I basically had to take a strategem as a backup primary weapon in order to be useful a chunk of the time. Against bugs it was totally useless when anything got close to you or an enemy was close to a friendly.

Against bots it takes forever to line up longer shots and made enemies moving at oblique angles very difficult shots. It also was useless when bots closed.

It was really good in some other times, like controlled breaches or dropships with light occupants, but in harder missions most dropships were full of mediums that it didn't do much to.

It also handled like a school bus with butter for tires.

GruntyThrst posted:

Yeah the ability to do both of those, and the utility of bug hole/bot fab destroyer was probably too much. I think it either needs to be an anti-medium weapon or an anti swarm weapon.

By this login no medium pen weapon should ever be AOE? That's all it takes to be both.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 8, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
For a weapon to be actually genuinely good anti-swarm, it needs to also be at least ok against medium armor enemies, because you very frequently have multiple hiveguards/broods mixed into a swarm of bugs.
That's why eruptor/stalwart was so nice, the stalwart by itself runs into issues vs bug groups due to armor penetration unless you're on a mission that just has fuckloads of hunters+pouncers. By itself stalwart isn't that good of anti swarm, it needs to be part of some sort of combo to be sincerely strong.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

cowardly devs need to add missions that have hive guards, brood commanders, pouncers, bile spewers and nursing spewers, shriekers and stalkers

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My friend had a glitch where he’d salute a dozen times before he could deploy. Anyone else seen this?

Report to the nearest democracy officer, this post stinks of seditious thoughts.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

cowardly devs need to add missions that have hive guards, brood commanders, pouncers, bile spewers and nursing spewers, shriekers and stalkers

Rainy/stormy jungle "destroy ~6 stalker nest" blitzes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dandywalken posted:

Rainy/stormy jungle "destroy ~6 stalker nest" blitzes please

only once they add the minigun strategem