Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

the game that directly informed the style and mechanics of nearly every 2D castlevania game that followed it is too different to be counted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mike is a man of culture

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

tmfc posted:

the game that directly informed the style and mechanics of nearly every 2D castlevania game that followed it is too different to be counted

It marks a significant change in the dynamic of Castlevania, even though 2 is a weird ghost town you can’t just level up. The game just gets harder and you have to get better at playing it, and I’d say you don’t have to get much better at SOTN than you got in the first 20 minutes.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

yeah that's a fair point

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If he includes the games after, which I didn’t watch the video I’m just familiar with his opinion, then whatever. Coping seether.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he played SoTN and he said he didnt like Alucard but he does like ot play as richter belmont. he wishes that you could play as richter without having to beat the game and if you could he would rate it better

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he played SoTN and he said he didnt like Alucard but he does like ot play as richter belmont. he wishes that you could play as richter without having to beat the game and if you could he would rate it better

I felt the same way after I found out about Richter mode.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

He's totally right about SOTN taking you all the way back to the title screen after death. What were they thinking?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
just dont die. its a skill issue

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Castlevania is win, imo.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Castlevania is win, imo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Castlevania is win, imo.

yep

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rondo of Blood is incredible and finally playing it in high school after seeing so many screenshots in magazines and never having a chance to play it was gamer heaven, it was awesome that it lived up to what i imagined in my head

I think that and Super Castlevania are peak Classicvania but best overall is still SotN

I also enjoyed the hell out of Circle of the Moon but the movement is dog poo poo, why the gently caress am I having to double tap constantly

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Castlevania is win, imo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

CastleVania is scrubbait trash. Hth.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cv3 is cleanly better than super

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fungah! posted:

cv3 is cleanly better than super

I agree, but if it had the whip mechanics of IV (which really are fantastic), it would be the perfect game.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Super Castlevania is the game that made me realize, like 2 decades later that letting the player do more poo poo with his whip or what have you isn’t necessarily the right move. I think it’s significant they went back to every weapon has one hurtbox or whatever usually even for SOTN era.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

As an older man I admire discretion, perhaps.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Super Castlevania is the game that made me realize, like 2 decades later that letting the player do more poo poo with his whip or what have you isn’t necessarily the right move. I think it’s significant they went back to every weapon has one hurtbox or whatever usually even for SOTN era.

Agreed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

yup poretty much. super feels mushy in a way cv1/3 dont. still a great game but def weaker than the real classics

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i gotta play rondo though, game looks insanely cool

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man, disagree, and I fuckin love the NES Castlevanias, having that extra control with the whip was awesome

Fungah! posted:

i gotta play rondo though, game looks insanely cool

It's absurd how well it holds up too, especially with all the secrets and alternate routes

just get the PCE version with the English audio/text patch, it rules

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

the whip was the worst part of IV lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

limp whip limp dick

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i haven't played 4 is ages but isn't the whips damage toned down to make up for the extra control? I feel like you had to multihit more enemies

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

hell, i think i'm gonna play Castlevania 1 or 3 tonight. thanks, James Rolfe AKA The Angry Video Game Nerd

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

tmfc posted:

the whip was the worst part of IV lol

that's exactly what dracula wants you to think, bitch

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

i haven't played 4 is ages but isn't the whips damage toned down to make up for the extra control? I feel like you had to multihit more enemies

The floppy whip does half damage on top of that so sometimes you're just dangling it while some dipshit walks into it eight times in a row

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
4 aesthetically is really good and it's at least a good game for that alone, but the first half is way too easy and the game overall is way too long. 3 doesn't have the difficulty problem but it's still too bloated i think. 1 is drat near perfect

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think the whip was the best part of 4 and after playing all of them in a row it's 2nd only to rondo for being too easy and not 100% nailing the vibe.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its not about the whip its about the holy water

----------------

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's not about the whip, the holy water, or the structure of the game.

It's about the music.

This one still thoroughly creeps me out. It's not much, but it's effective. Feels like what was written for Terminator 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgG00VQ3krI

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh yeah CV4 is great lol I won’t deny it. It just lacks the elegance of 1.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Its flaws basically come from enthusiastically going hog wild with the heretofore unheard of 16-bit power of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, so I accept it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

CV1's tail end had me raging hard as a kid, especially stage 12 (13???) where you make your way to Frankenstein's monster with the loving rear end in a top hat fleas dropping down from the birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

started CV1 this morning and got to dracula a little while ago but had to take a break lol