Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does the newer update bring Family Mode out of beta? I set it all up for my wife and two kids a few weeks ago, as I unsurprisingly have the largest library of the 4 of us, and I was briefly on the beta branch of steam for the deck so I could more easily set up, allow/restrict games, all that stuff. But it flat out broke discord which is a no-go for me, so I went back to stable. That means that steam families is all set up, but I can't make any changes to it or the games I'm allowing my kids to have access to unless I'm actively in the beta. For now, I just log into my account on their computer when I need to add a newly-purchased game to family sharing.

Looking forward for Steam families to get a stable release or implementation into the main stable branch of Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my steam library is my family

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of OLED battery life: starting from a full charge I played Hades II for about 5 hours straight yesterday, with fully stock settings, and the battery only drained to 56%. I thought for sure I’d have been below 25% after playing that long.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are buying a new deck the OLED is absolutely the way to go no question about it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Decided to play Arkham Asylum on Deck
  • Steam gives me missing libraries error under all proton versions
  • Tried Epic version via Lutris - runs with no sound
  • Tried the same w/ Proton Experimental - that works great but game runs only Desktop mode (won't launch epic client in game mode)
  • Installed Heroic - same problem as the Steam version
  • Reinstalled Lutris trying to fix the game mode not launching Epic launcher
  • Epic installation now fails
  • lol
  • lmao

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sometimes "Not Supported" means it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Listen buddy not all worlds problems are caused by batman arkham asylum being unsupported on steam deck.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Vic posted:

• Tried the same w/ Proton Experimental - that works great but game runs only Desktop mode (won't launch epic client in game mode)
  • lol
  • lmao

pretty sure I played this a while back with proton ge.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

afraid to turn on my deck

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

don't turn on your deck, that's a rookie mistake

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's fine, mine works fine, you'll be fine qop

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have decky though, I broke it once and I can't go through that again 😔

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just don't update (from the reports I see so far). Played mine this morning just fine.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I updated without thinking earlier but reran the Decky installer and it's all working fine again

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Party Boat posted:

I updated without thinking earlier but reran the Decky installer and it's all working fine again

Yeah that's what I mean, it's fine, no problems here, I am a representative sample of 1

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Free yourselves of Decky. Join us in a better place, unburdened by superfluous plugins that conflict with updates on a device that gets frequent updates. Also take this tract about the evils of programs that install third party games you can simply install manually.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Free yourselves of Decky. Join us in a better place, unburdened by superfluous plugins that conflict with updates on a device that gets frequent updates. Also take this tract about the evils of programs that install third party games you can simply install manually.

I've never once had Decky conflict with anything, but I sure as gently caress use the ProtonDB badge, vibrantdeck, and tab master plug-ins.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What on earth am I going to use my deck for if I can't use CSS loader to endlessly tweak my home screen? Playing games??

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vic posted:

• lol
  • lmao

You'll need to download Proton GE (Glorious Eggroll) in desktop mode.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vic posted:

• lol
  • lmao

I played through it last year with zero tweaking on Deck. The only issue was dealing with the ancient launcher and it crashing every few hours, but it autosaves so often it didn't really matter.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I got it working, the problem was Lutris was trying to launch it with in Feral gamemode (default setting) which worked fine in desktop, but crashed when running via SteamOS gamemode.

Look at me I'm Batman!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When I’m using my Deck I’m always in feral game mode.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dropping the hard R while in feral gamer mode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm a gamer, I'm gonna use gamer words.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If the next rog ally doesn't have track pads I won't be surprised

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My decky install broke ages ago and I can’t fix it because I don’t remember my sudopw.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Upsidads posted:

If the next rog ally doesn't have track pads I won't be surprised

Do any of the Deck alternatives have trackpads and/or gyro?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandolphCarter posted:

My decky install broke ages ago and I can’t fix it because I don’t remember my sudopw.

you can boot into rescue mode and fix this

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

you can boot into rescue mode and fix this

Can you point me to an idiots guide? I am very bad with computers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lenovo even has joycons and a stand but...Lenovo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandolphCarter posted:

Can you point me to an idiots guide? I am very bad with computers.

you betcha, goonfriend

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/s/osXhjv93MC

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thank you, I will give this a shot one day.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

RandolphCarter posted:

If you didn't set a password, it temporarily sets Decky! as the password. Might be worth a try.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Saving that. Pretty sure I formatted my deck once because I forgot that and needed it for something.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Lightbulb Grease posted:

If you didn't set a password, it temporarily sets Decky! as the password. Might be worth a try.

No I definitely set one for cryoutilities.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Ayaneo Kun is the only other one I’ve seen with trackpads.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I uninstalled and reinstalled Emudeck so it could remove all traces of Ryujinx. I still have a couple of Switch emulation issues.

Games won't launch at all in game mode. If I select a game, hit A to play, it just doesn't boot. I suspect it's still not figuring out it should use Ryujinx to play Switch games.

And in desktop mode, I can't get Ryujinx to accept Steam Deck inputs. I go to the controller settings in Ryujinx in Desktop mode, click the dropdown box for Steam Deck, and pressing buttons to configure each key does nothing. Anyone else run into this problem?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It’s the only way to handle Tailscale in game mode so Decky stays.

EDIT: I guess I could ssh to the deck and manage it that way but lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I uninstalled and reinstalled Emudeck so it could remove all traces of Ryujinx. I still have a couple of Switch emulation issues.

Games won't launch at all in game mode. If I select a game, hit A to play, it just doesn't boot. I suspect it's still not figuring out it should use Ryujinx to play Switch games.

And in desktop mode, I can't get Ryujinx to accept Steam Deck inputs. I go to the controller settings in Ryujinx in Desktop mode, click the dropdown box for Steam Deck, and pressing buttons to configure each key does nothing. Anyone else run into this problem?

Does ryujinx settings menu have a toggle to use Gamemode anywhere? If so disable it. If not try switching between fullscreen/borderless and try switching renderers. That's the kinda thing that interferes with steam's gamescope gaming mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think when in desktop mode, the deck goes automatically to kb+m mode. To switch to the gamepad mode, you can hold the hamburger menu button (i.e. Start button) for couple seconds. Doing this should show a small pop up message at the corner of your screen.