Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jamal Murray had another hideous game but still isn't dead last in NP. Russell Westbrook has that title for at least one more game. Meanwhile, Anthony Edwards has jumped into first place.

Coaaab posted:

zogo, how are your nba title correlation stats (SRS, roster continuity, avg age, etc.) doing this nba playoffs?

Celtics/Nuggets/Timberwolves were the favorites at the beginning of the playoffs. The Celtics have to be the overall favorites unless Kristaps Porzingis is injured.

Dexo posted:

drat Monkeu can't even spare us a post for this rereg to talk about the Warriors, just has to post about Drake smh.

He could be short on $$$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I was thinking about that the other day because I had the thought "Anthony Edwards' WS/48 in the regular season couldn't have been good enough to look like he could be the best player on a championship team." And it turns out I was correct, but: Rudy Gobert was 6th overall with a .216. Anthony Edwards, at .130, come in 4th place on the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Stagger_Lee posted:

I was thinking about that the other day because I had the thought "Anthony Edwards' WS/48 in the regular season couldn't have been good enough to look like he could be the best player on a championship team." And it turns out I was correct, but: Rudy Gobert was 6th overall with a .216. Anthony Edwards, at .130, come in 4th place on the Minnesota Timberwolves.

How winshare works Rudy (and Conley) are going to be somewhat overvalued in WS and ANT is going to be undervalued. Efficient rim runner and low TO PGs are given a ton of weight, and while I think they are useful they're probably not to the level WS thinks they are. Meanwhile volume scorers, even efficient ones like Ant, are not given as much credit.

Ant should have Rudy's .212
Rudy should have Conley's .180
Conley should have ANT's .130

Winshare, while still good, is getting a bit long in the tooth imo.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, I'm not confused about win share definition, it was occurring to me because I know it's been part of Zogo's thought process at least at some points in the past - wanting a very high-ranking player to qualify as a real contender.

But I think if you average all the various all-in-one stats this year, Ant was probably the best player on the team, but the top 4 were all pretty good and none of them really stood out in production. Ant producing like the best offensive and defensive player in the league, and not just kind of looking like that in spurts, is a brand new thrilling development.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Lockback posted:

I know, but what else can you say? You're not going to say "Yeah we shoulda ejected him", that undercuts you considerably and sets up a suspension as the only recourse.Saying "Guys it was bad but not THAT bad" is the middle ground.

You can absolutely say "Yeah we should have ejected him if we saw it." It's no different than the two minute report or the many times this year where immediately following a game the pool report has the head official saying "we screwed up. We missed the call, that absolutely should/shouldn't have been a foul." Once the game is over its over and theres nothing to be done. Or I should say, usually. This isn't criminal law. There isn't really "precedent" as we think of it in law. The NBA can do whatever the gently caress they want whenever.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Meanwhile volume scorers, even efficient ones like Ant, are not given as much credit.

It's surprising but his TS% this year was actually below league average (because the league average keeps going higher). But in the playoffs so far he's boosted it up to 66%. He's reminding me of Devin Booker in last years playoffs who also got very hot at the right time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zogo posted:

It's surprising but his TS% this year was actually below league average (because the league average keeps going higher). But in the playoffs so far he's boosted it up to 66%. He's reminding me of Devin Booker in last years playoffs who also got very hot at the right time.

Jeeze is that right? Ridiculous.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zogo posted:

"Sir, I have ten tickets and need six more shirts."

Rookies with 500+ FGAs and TS% below 46% (since 2000):

code:
Jalen Suggs	 	 2021-22
Jordan Poole		 2019-20
Lonzo Ball		 2017-18
Frank Ntilikina		 2017-18
Stanley	Johnson		 2015-16
Emmanuel Mudiay		 2015-16
Elfrid Payton		 2014-15
Jordan Crawford		 2010-11
Terrence Williams 	 2009-10
Adam Morrison	 	 2006-07
Jarvis Hayes		 2003-04
Rasual Butler		 2002-03
Eddie Griffin		 2001-02
Jamaal Tinsley		 2001-02
Anthony	Carter		 1999-00
Jordan Poole is the only other player on that list who increased his TS% to comparable levels by year three.

Once again I am celebrating the lack of Scoot Henderson on a list

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Lockback posted:

How winshare works Rudy (and Conley) are going to be somewhat overvalued in WS and ANT is going to be undervalued. Efficient rim runner and low TO PGs are given a ton of weight, and while I think they are useful they're probably not to the level WS thinks they are. Meanwhile volume scorers, even efficient ones like Ant, are not given as much credit.

Ant should have Rudy's .212
Rudy should have Conley's .180
Conley should have ANT's .130

Winshare, while still good, is getting a bit long in the tooth imo.

Ok accepting the premise that Ant is undervalued by WS, is Shai (.275/48, 14.6 total)? And the other couple dozen wings above him? Because if Ant should have a ws/48 over for the numbers he put up this year so should a LOT of people.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Ok accepting the premise that Ant is undervalued by WS, is Shai (.275/48, 14.6 total)? And the other couple dozen wings above him? Because if Ant should have a ws/48 over for the numbers he put up this year so should a LOT of people.

No, Shai's is fair. WS is zero sum within a team. If your giving 1 player more you have to take it from another player. So you need to do what I did and say who are you taking WS from. So in SGA's case I think Chet's .175 is pretty fair (maybe slightly elevated but maybe not). So he's not getting the same rim-running boost Rudy is getting. No one else on OKC looks too out of place imo.

FYI, in general (real rough rule of thumb for full-time starters), .150 means all star, .200 means all-NBA, .250 means MVP-candidate. So SGA is an MVP candidate but I think Ant is above all-star.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Papercut posted:

Once again I am celebrating the lack of Scoot Henderson on a list
Scoot Henderson absolutely would have been on this list if you'd just taken his play from the first half of the season, but he improved over the second half and played his best basketball as a rookie over the Blazers' last ten games or so.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Stagger_Lee posted:

Yeah, I'm not confused about win share definition, it was occurring to me because I know it's been part of Zogo's thought process at least at some points in the past - wanting a very high-ranking player to qualify as a real contender.

But I think if you average all the various all-in-one stats this year, Ant was probably the best player on the team, but the top 4 were all pretty good and none of them really stood out in production. Ant producing like the best offensive and defensive player in the league, and not just kind of looking like that in spurts, is a brand new thrilling development.

Andy Bailey did this averaging at various points throughout the season league wide. This was the most recent one. Ant is 26th, KAT is 35th, Rudy 39th

https://x.com/andrewdbailey/status/1748760610207355150?s=46&t=onxyh9cLuduaEE8VkMrnMQ

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Andy Bailey did this averaging at various points throughout the season league wide. This was the most recent one. Ant is 26th, KAT is 35th, Rudy 39th

https://x.com/andrewdbailey/status/1748760610207355150?s=46&t=onxyh9cLuduaEE8VkMrnMQ
LeBron 9th at the age of 39 while stuck on that trash-rear end Lakers team is :stare:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Those numbers are from Jan though too, there was a lot of basketball after that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Maestro posted:

Cade below 150 stood out to me

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

didn't believe in the list until i saw it post an ultimate truth with kevin love at 56. finally someone giving elite old man kevin love his due

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1788291447277633779

clearly the idea of anyone wanting billups is bullshit but dang lookin good for portland getting a real head coach if rumors like this are circulating

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Lockback posted:

No, Shai's is fair. WS is zero sum within a team. If your giving 1 player more you have to take it from another player. So you need to do what I did and say who are you taking WS from. So in SGA's case I think Chet's .175 is pretty fair (maybe slightly elevated but maybe not). So he's not getting the same rim-running boost Rudy is getting. No one else on OKC looks too out of place imo.

FYI, in general (real rough rule of thumb for full-time starters), .150 means all star, .200 means all-NBA, .250 means MVP-candidate. So SGA is an MVP candidate but I think Ant is above all-star.

Ok but the formula is the same for all of them, so why is he not getting the “rim running boost”? Isn’t it much more likely that Ant was simply not nearly as good this year as he has been in the playoffs, and the fact that he is a below average scorer on high usage while Shai is a very much above average efficiency scorer on both usage more or less accurately reflects their relative value? And that Gobert, by virtue of ending far fewer possessions in a negative way and being extremely efficient in those he does end represents a lot of value (keeping in mind that more than half his value as imputed from WS is defensive)? If your claim is that the WS formula accurately assigns value for some teams and not others, I think that requires a lot more convincing argument than vibes (and a lot more convincing argument than just saying WS is dumb)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Speaking of Win Shares, it's got to be just about impossible to break Kareem's single-season of record of 25.4 and Wemby's going to break it isn't he?

EDIT: In Kareem's six seasons in Milwaukee he had 115 Win Shares holy poo poo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Aye Doc posted:

clearly the idea of anyone wanting billups is bullshit but dang lookin good for portland getting a real head coach if rumors like this are circulating

Gotta get in on the JJ Redick hunt

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Win Shares, it's got to be just about impossible to break Kareem's single-season of record of 25.4 and Wemby's going to break it isn't he?

unless wemby takes this current dogshit Spurs roster to 63 wins in 2024-25, he will not be breaking this record

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

Thank God but also what about Cronin

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Detroit hires billups, Portland hires monty

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

slave to my cravings posted:

Detroit hires billups, Portland hires monty

:hmmyes:

At least everyone would feel better.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1788351584734192010

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Just shut up shaq and let the man have his moment sheesh

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

lmao shaq is telling jokic to his face over zoom that shai should have won instead.

and he's right :hai:, sga is a national treasure. could we somehow take back embiid's fradulent mvp and give it to him?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/nbapr/status/1788353222828024196?s=46

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blessed Domantas voter

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Who keeps voting for Sabonis for DPOY and MVP lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Shai was robbed

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
It’s pretty cool that most of those guys are still in the playoffs I guess

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

Shai was robbed

Naw

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Does Arvydas have a vote?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kevin Durant?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The font on this is way too easy to read I think they should make it more illegible.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

pentyne posted:

Kevin Durant?

fifth place vote, so it wasn't him voting for himself.

I'm guessing a voter wasn't paying attention and just went "uhhhh who else let's see, KD, that guy's good"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

To be fair KD absolutely carried that Suns team to the wrong end of a first-round sweep.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I wish Jokic had responded to Shaq by saying Nash deserved those MVPs over him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

anakha posted:

I wish Jokic had responded to Shaq by saying Nash deserved those MVPs over him too.
"Hey Shaq...how many MVPs did you win? It was one, wasn't it?"