Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rust Martialis posted:

So some people here are mad that Biden *isn't* doing what Trump is endlessly bleating about and weaponizing the DOJ to crush him?

Yeah sure, where I am going to define weaponizing the DOJ as treating donald trump like he was a black drug dealer. That exact level of unempathetic cruelty is exactly what I think the insurrectionist rapist deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I wish we could have a poll in this thread of who thinks he'll be convicted of anything before the election. I am very curious!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tatsuta Age posted:

I wish we could have a poll in this thread of who thinks he'll be convicted of anything before the election. I am very curious!

I think he's gonna get convicted of something in the Stormy Daniel's case.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

The current case will likely result in a guilty verdict, but the punishment will be a fine, not jail. Trump will then appeal it and it will remain unresolved for several years.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you really, genuinely think Cannon is not in the tank for Trump?

I think she doesn't know the law, is out of her depth, and is excessively concerned with the various claims and objections and demands the Trump team has raised. None of those necessarily mean she's in the tank for Trump - they could be just as easily explained by incompetence. After all, as federal judges go, she's relatively lacking in legal experience.

What I do know is that the worst-case predictions of doomers have yet to come true. A couple of months ago, the talk of the thread wasn't that she was going to delay the trial - it was that she was going to start the trial and then dismiss the case after the jury was called in, in order to invoke double jeopardy and immunize Trump from ever being tried on this particular set of charges. So far, no sign of that.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Polling from ABC News/Ispos released May 5th:

While, admittedly, they didn't poll the specific question you pose in regards to people being fine with Trump pardoning himself if convicted rather than merely indicted, there are absolutely people out there saying that a conviction would be relevant to their vote, in large enough numbers to be consequential in an election.

That's what people are telling pollsters, but to be honest, I don't believe them. When it comes to these "how would your behavior change in this hypothetical different situation?" kinds of questions, I think there's a tendency for people's hypothetical answers to not line up with what they actually end up doing if the situation actually ends up changing.

For example, while COVID vaccines were under emergency use approval, polls suggested that a substantial portion of the unvaccinated population would be comfortable getting vaccinated if the vaccines had full approval rather than just emergency approval. But when the COVID vaccines did get a full FDA approval, there was only a small increase in vaccination rates, well short of what had been predicted by pollsters and researchers. In practice, most of the antivaxxers who'd been using the emergency authorization as their excuse for not vaccinating just replaced it with some other excuse; if pressed on it, they'd come up with some conspiracy-laden reason for claiming that these particular full approvals didn't count as real full approvals for some reason.

I fully expect the same thing to happen here. The people who claim they're not sure if the crimes were real or trumped-up will smoothly transition to not being sure if the convictions were real or trumped-up. No matter how many times they told pollsters they'd accept the court's verdict, they'll hook right onto GOP misinformation about supposed irregularities in the trials, and they'll end up being just as unsure and undecided as they were before the convictions. Maybe a handful of them will accept the convictions, but that'll be canceled out by the handful who'll take pre-election convictions as proof that it's all just faked stuff for political effect.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I never expected convictions before the election. I've been warning for a long time that the court proceedings would be slow, and that judges wouldn't consider Nov 2024 to be an important deadline.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

InsertPotPun posted:

oh thank god. i was hoping we'd have a second trial to determine if the first trial was decided correctly. can't be too sure about these things.
but...wait a minute...what if these two trials have been affecting the trial?
we need to have a third trial to determine if the first and second trial was bad for the original trial or if the fifth trial hurt the second trial by taking a trail to the first trial all based on rumors in the second trial that might have hurt the third trial.

An appeal isn't a whole new trial. In an appeal, the appealing party points out errors in the trial process that they think changed the outcome. If the judge agrees that errors in the first trial affected the outcome, the original verdict is overturned.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I think she doesn't know the law, is out of her depth, and is excessively concerned with the various claims and objections and demands the Trump team has raised. None of those necessarily mean she's in the tank for Trump - they could be just as easily explained by incompetence. After all, as federal judges go, she's relatively lacking in legal experience.

What I do know is that the worst-case predictions of doomers have yet to come true. A couple of months ago, the talk of the thread wasn't that she was going to delay the trial - it was that she was going to start the trial and then dismiss the case after the jury was called in, in order to invoke double jeopardy and immunize Trump from ever being tried on this particular set of charges. So far, no sign of that.

How do you reconcile this with every substantive error being made in Trump's direct favor? If she were just loving up at random surely she'd have randomly screwed up in the state's favor, no? As opposed to observable reality where she continually 'screws up' in ways that are contrary to black letter law but just so happen to massively favor the man who hand picked her on the eve of his presidency to preside over his home jurisdiction.

These aren't even nuanced errors either. Canon's error in appointing a special master wasn't merely wrong, it was obviously wrong. Her recent errors involved her using the wrong legal standard, something a first year law student wouldn't mess up, much less a federal judge. Her proposed jury instructions worked under the assumption that the presidential records act applied in this case where even a layman reading tells you it does not.

Is she just the stupidest person alive? At what point do you believe that malice is more likely than stupidity?

As to your latter point people said that she would slow walk the case past November by endless delays. They were saying that in 2023, and here we are. You say there is no sign of her dismissing the trial after jeapordy attaches, but as we live in linear time, so no, she has not yet done the thing that people fear she will do once the trial she is delaying finally starts.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

That's what people are telling pollsters, but to be honest, I don't believe them. When it comes to these "how would your behavior change in this hypothetical different situation?" kinds of questions, I think there's a tendency for people's hypothetical answers to not line up with what they actually end up doing if the situation actually ends up changing.

For example, while COVID vaccines were under emergency use approval, polls suggested that a substantial portion of the unvaccinated population would be comfortable getting vaccinated if the vaccines had full approval rather than just emergency approval. But when the COVID vaccines did get a full FDA approval, there was only a small increase in vaccination rates, well short of what had been predicted by pollsters and researchers. In practice, most of the antivaxxers who'd been using the emergency authorization as their excuse for not vaccinating just replaced it with some other excuse; if pressed on it, they'd come up with some conspiracy-laden reason for claiming that these particular full approvals didn't count as real full approvals for some reason.

I fully expect the same thing to happen here. The people who claim they're not sure if the crimes were real or trumped-up will smoothly transition to not being sure if the convictions were real or trumped-up. No matter how many times they told pollsters they'd accept the court's verdict, they'll hook right onto GOP misinformation about supposed irregularities in the trials, and they'll end up being just as unsure and undecided as they were before the convictions. Maybe a handful of them will accept the convictions, but that'll be canceled out by the handful who'll take pre-election convictions as proof that it's all just faked stuff for political effect.

Yeah, I agree people will change their stated reasoning as soon as the old reason becomes inconvenient. For instance, people will claim that "nobody's really out there saying" this or that and when provided with evidence that people are out there saying this or that, switch to the claim that while people might say it, they don't believe it ;)

Joking aside, I agree that people are both terrible at predicting how they'll behave in a hypothetical and also fully willing to lie about reasons X, Y, and Z being their motivation because those reasons sound reasonable, not because it's their real motivation. But some of that also applies to the people who say it won't matter. And even if it didn't, if even a quarter of the people who say a conviction matter drop their support, that could be enough to swing the election. Remember, as you say, the vaccination rate didn't go up as much as experts thought and hoped, but it did go up.

Whereas the notion that there are people who will take a conviction but not an indictment as an actual reason to affirmatively vote for Trump—not merely claim they're doing so as a gently caress-you to the system, but actually have that as their reason—I would need some evidence for it to take it seriously. I think you are taking the reality that a conviction will only move the vote a little bit and trying to stretch it into being totally irrelevant. There being as many people who think a conviction is proof of a corrupt system without having thought so for an indictment as there are people who find a convicted felon unacceptable is the sort of extraordinary claim that should really come with some sort of evidence.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

There's no way Trump can reach the election without a conviction, unless of course his four criminal trials fall victim to four separate misfortunes.

One misfortune, that's possible. Two misfortunes, there's an outside chance. But four misfortunes? I'd like to see that!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...=20240408172425

She was already rebuked by an upper court over the handling of the special master nonsense, the idea that she's neutral but incompetent is just nowhere near this plane of reality. She's incompetent, of course, but completely in the tank.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

There's no way Trump can reach the election without a conviction, unless of course his four criminal trials fall victim to four separate misfortunes.

One misfortune, that's possible. Two misfortunes, there's an outside chance. But four misfortunes? I'd like to see that!

None of them except the stormy case is gonna get to a verdict by the time of the election.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

cr0y posted:

None of them except the stormy case is gonna get to a verdict by the time of the election.

it's a Simpsons quote sir

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

it's a Simpsons quote sir

I'm an idiot

The Bible
May 8, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Cannon is either incompetent or blatantly in the bag for Trump, but probably both.

Trials involving classified info are required to follow the Classified Information Protection Act (CIPA) procedures, a law passed to formalize the process where you have information that absolutely cannot be shared with just anyone conflicting with a defendant's right to know what they're being accused of and access to the information and evidence against them.

The process is rigid and rigorous but it's not exactly complex. If the government wants to withhold information because of its classification status, there's a process: they can redact sensitive portions, they can replace the documents with less sensitive ones, they can choose not to use them (despite being the most damning evidence), or I think they can just say "this is so incredibly classified we have no alternatives, trust us jury" but that has an incredibly high bar.

There are defined phases in a CIPA trial where all this is worked out, and a schedule to keep everything on track.

Cannon is incompetent because she keeps screwing up basic principles and procedures laid out by this process, and has to get corrected by appeals courts. She is in the tank for Trump because she keeps allowing nonsense objections for review and delaying things.

Trump is unequivocally and unambiguously in the wrong, and is on tape admitting he knew he was wrong, and his lackeys have given sworn testimony that they were ordered to cover things up, so there's no reason this case should take this long or result in anything other than life imprisonment.

But Cannon is incompetent and in the tank for Trump and indefinitely postponed the trial because of that.

And our legal system has absolutely no way to respond to or remedy this. It just has to allow it. They can slap her hand and tell her to stop, but she can just ignore them and keep loving things up and there are no consequences for doing so.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol 2 trials dead within 24 hours

Haha, yeah, probe him for being right. I'm waiting on mine for pointing it out again.

The legal system is toothless and corrupt and we've been telling you this the whole loving time.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 9, 2024

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

I never expected convictions before the election. I've been warning for a long time that the court proceedings would be slow, and that judges wouldn't consider Nov 2024 to be an important deadline.

I think it's important to note here what did cause vaccinations to rise: a bunch of people getting vaccinated, with no ill effect.

There were still a hard 20% or something that refused to get vaccinated for any reason whatsoever, but a bunch of people eventually capitulated when they saw friends and family get vaxxed.

I don't know what the equivalent for Trump world is; maybe once a critical mass abandons him the squishy members of the GOP will finally abandon him

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

Happy birthday to me, get the gently caress out Fan-ni

The only poll I've seen had Willis leading 79% to 9%, so, while I don't really know the quality of pollster . . . seems like it would be a bit of an upset.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/poll-shows-first-look-at-key-fulton-county-races

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I do wish appellate courts were in the habits of explaining their orders, because I seem to have missed the first time how Fani Willis having an affair with whatsisname prejudiced Trump in any way.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The only poll I've seen had Willis leading 79% to 9%, so, while I don't really know the quality of pollster . . . seems like it would be a bit of an upset.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/poll-shows-first-look-at-key-fulton-county-races

Well I'm glad it's not so much of a foregone conclusion then, I suppose. I don't really think she did anything terrible, I just loathe her timing, and how much ammunition it handed Trump's defense.

But the coincidence of the primary election falling on my birthday made me think of the song cadence, and once I have a dumb jingle in my head, try and stop me from posting that poo poo, I dare you.

We shall see if Fulton County feels as forgiving.

Hobologist posted:

I do wish appellate courts were in the habits of explaining their orders, because I seem to have missed the first time how Fani Willis having an affair with whatsisname prejudiced Trump in any way.

It really didn't and a judge decided it didn't merit removing her from the case, and he's successfully appealed that judge's decision. I dunno how many times he can do that, but I assume he will try to appeal every single thing that isn't found in his favor.

So for those more knowledgeable, this question is now passed to a different judge to make a ruling on, and if that judge agrees with the first one, do we then wait again to see if this one passes muster too? And if it doesn't, how many judges can you run through saying no that one doesn't count? It's like asking for a second opinion over and over, just hoping to hit the right doctor

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 9, 2024

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Hobologist posted:

See if Democrats aren't perfect saints who never make mistakes then all Trump crimes are legal. That seems to be the criteria as best I can tell.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

It really didn't and a judge decided it didn't merit removing her from the case, and he's successfully appealed that judge's decision. I dunno how many times he can do that, but I assume he will try to appeal every single thing that isn't found in his favor.

So for those more knowledgeable, this question is now passed to a different judge to make a ruling on, and if that judge agrees with the first one, do we then wait again to see if this one passes muster too? And if it doesn't, how many judges can you run through saying no that one doesn't count? It's like asking for a second opinion over and over, just hoping to hit the right doctor

Georgia has an appeals court, which is an intermediate level court that reviews decisions by lower courts. It will be assigned to one of five panels of three judges (there's five panels with the same consistent three members, and the random selection is biased to ensure they don't end up with an imbalanced case load). I'm not familiar with the specific rules for this kind of appeal.

If the appeals court rejects it, he can then appeal to the state supreme court, which is a group of nine judges. The chief justice is a Democrat, oddly, but all of them were appointed by Republican governors.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

Well I'm glad it's not so much of a foregone conclusion then, I suppose. I don't really think she did anything terrible, I just loathe her timing, and how much ammunition it handed Trump's defense.

But the coincidence of the primary election falling on my birthday made me think of the song cadence, and once I have a dumb jingle in my head, try and stop me from posting that poo poo, I dare you.

We shall see if Fulton County feels as forgiving.

At a glance (I am not a lawyer) Georgia follows a pretty standard model. McAfee had to give leave to appeal (because typically most appeals are direct appeals that occur after the final verdict, while this one is interlocutory or during the the process) which he did. It goes up to Georgia Court of Appeals who decided whether or not to grant permission to appeal, which they did. If they'd told him to pound sand, that would have been the end of it, but sadly no go.

So now there is the usual 2-3 months of back and forth motions. A three judge panel is selected. If all three decide one way or another, then we're settled. If there is a dissent then the matter is escalated (another delay) to a nine judge panel which finalize the issue. If Trump loses in either of these, then he can make an appeal to the Georgia Supreme Court. This would normally be a fairly hail mary appeal, but I do feel compelled to mention that eight of the nine judges on that court were initially appointed by republican governors before running and winning nonpartisan elections (in most cases unopposed). Take that for what it is worth.

I'm not sure if he can appeal it to the Supreme Court given it is a matter of state criminal law without a lot of federal overlap, but I'm sure a clever lawyer could find a way. However I suspect this would largely be moot. The above process already gets us into 2025 at which point the crux of the matter is largely already decided.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

What behaviour would a judge who was firmly in the tank for Trump be likely to take that Cannon hasnt, given her assumed level of incompetence (which you seem to agree with) and an assumption that plausible deniability is desired?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So the only case that's going to stand trial before it doesn't matter one way or another is the most minor and hardest to prove of the charges, which might not result in jail time even if they somehow stick? Am I missing anything here because yikes

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 9, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CapnAndy posted:

So the only case that's going to stand trial before it doesn't matter one way or another is the most minor and hardest to prove of the charges, which might not result in jail time even if they somehow stick? Am I missing anything here because yikes

So my understanding is that it was a difficult charge to prove.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trumps-stormy-daniels-payoff-trial-hinges-his-intent-2024-04-19/

....Then Trunp went and admitted certain elements of the offense on the steps outside the court.
So it might be easier to prove, but it's not a guaranteed thing.

I think the question is, what are you expecting out of this. The biggest, most likely consequence if convicted is Trump will just be referred to as a convicted criminal, and any future sentences he gets will be harder hitting?

Will this have an impact on his electablity or will his supporters just double down on him? That's been debated here.

If people were expecting a conviction here to result in some procedure where Trump was prevented from becoming President, I don't think that was ever on the cards. And I think those people need to make peace with that.
The only way Trump was not going to be President in 2025 is if he loses the election. Maybe a conviction makes that more likely to happen, maybe not.
But that's the reality of matters.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

The Question IRL posted:

I think the question is, what are you expecting out of this. The biggest, most likely consequence if convicted is Trump will just be referred to as a convicted criminal, and any future sentences he gets will be harder hitting

If he is a convicted felon, does that affect his other trials?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Independence posted:

If he is a convicted felon, does that affect his other trials?

If he is convicted for the Hush Money trial and then is later convicted for another case (say the Rico case), when it comes to sentencing in the Rico case he won't be treated as a person coming before the court as a person of "good character " or either "an unblemished record."

(I know that under any actual reading of those words, Trump stopped being a person of good character a long time ago.)

Basically he will lose his status as a first time offender.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How the hell is Trump not beyond 'first time offender' status after all these years. :wtc:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

If he is convicted for the Hush Money trial and then is later convicted for another case (say the Rico case), when it comes to sentencing in the Rico case he won't be treated as a person coming before the court as a person of "good character " or either "an unblemished record."

(I know that under any actual reading of those words, Trump stopped being a person of good character a long time ago.)

Basically he will lose his status as a first time offender.

I feel like if you're CEO of a bunch of companies that have had such sorted legal history as trumps for so long a time, after a certain point you should meet some criteria of not being a person of good character any more.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

How the hell is Trump not beyond 'first time offender' status after all these years. :wtc:

White billionaire. Takes a lot to get one nailed down.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

He's already a convicted rapist?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

"Found liable for" is not "convicted" but I mean....yeah.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

cr0y posted:

A civilly liable rapist. The Carroll case was a civil suit not a criminal one.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sadly no, he was found civilly liable for defamation for claiming he didn't rape E Jean Carroll. To my knowledge you can't take civil suits into account, and he's lost hundreds of those over the years.

gregday
May 23, 2003

cr0y posted:

Not a criminal trial.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cr0y posted:

A common mistake in this thread, but alas no.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

mllaneza posted:

An appeal isn't a whole new trial. In an appeal, the appealing party points out errors in the trial process that they think changed the outcome. If the judge agrees that errors in the first trial affected the outcome, the original verdict is overturned.

Does the title "Convicted Felon" go away while the appeal plays out?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Noted brain genius Michael Cohen was on Tiktok live last night wearing a T-shirt with a caracature of Trump in jail on it. You know, as a smart witness does.

Dude was a loving lawyer. He should know better.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Noted brain genius Michael Cohen was on Tiktok live last night wearing a T-shirt with a caracature of Trump in jail on it. You know, as a smart witness does.

Dude was a loving lawyer. He should know better.

Remember he got his law degree from like Westchester Law and Dental Hygienist Academy.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember he got his law degree from like Westchester Law and Dental Hygienist Academy.

Wow you're not kidding he went to what seems to be literally the worst law school in the country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooley_Law_School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1788562242457240041

Surely you can't just bring vampires with you to court, that's jury intimidation